Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Beersmith wrote: »
    Why is he a boards fav again? I have a vague recollection of this

A guy on the form is friends with him when when he lives in Spain, I think Spain anyway.

Ian recorded a video for the forum too. That's why iv been following him but he's a good fighter also.

Glad the fights back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

He was a good goer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

First Jones and now Masvidal wants out of contract.

Stingy Dana needs to open up the coffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

ricero wrote: »

No. Hes right to make a stand. Too many pre madonnas.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

califano wrote:
    No. Hes right to make a stand. Too many pre madonnas.
    No, he's just plain greedy. If all the efforts to have fights when everywhere was locked down doesn't point that out to you then nothing ever will.
    Jones is probably the biggest draw on the UFC after McGregor and he deserv s to get paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Jones isn't a big draw, doesn't show in the numbers. The guy has only himself to blame for losing money, how many sponsors has he fcuked up

In the space of a month a two division champion in Cejudo has retired and both Jones and Masvidal has asked to be released.

Says a lot about the current state of pay. All exciting fighters aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

They all want boxing money do they not realise only main event in boxing gets paid well. Fellas on Joshua's undercard get 500 quid. Masvidal is becoming annoying. Hes Definition of a journey man. Beats a c league fighter in askern and a journey man 155r in Diaz.

Activity is key to becoming a big draw not sitting out moaning

US2 wrote: »
    They all want boxing money do they not realise only main event in boxing gets paid well. Fellas on Joshua's undercard get 500 quid. Masvidal is becoming annoying. Hes Definition of a journey man. Beats a c league fighter in askern and a journey man 155r in Diaz.

Activity is key to becoming a big draw not sitting out moaning

Masvidal is one of the most active fighters in the Ufc. Jones is also one of the most active champions in the Ufc.

I understand completly your argument about boxing money but when you hear that arguably the greatest of all time Jon Jones is only getting 500k a fight it shows how much of a farce it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

Masvidal is one of the most active fighters in the Ufc. Jones is also one of the most active champions in the Ufc.

I understand completly your argument about boxing money but when you hear that arguably the greatest of all time Jon Jones is only getting 500k a fight it shows how much of a farce it is.

Doesn't Jones get a % of the PPV's. To my knowledge he has 500K views or near it fairly consistently so i assume he's getting more then $500K but I can't say for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

500k show money but his ppv earnings would eclipse that every time. So he is earning considerably more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

You can only get your relative piece of the pie though. Jones has never broken $1m on a PPV. Not even for Cormier 2.

Much like boxing, there are very few fighters who get paid the top money. Of the (I think 17) UFC PPVs that have broken the $1m barrier, all but two PPVs have featured either McGregor, Lesnar or Rousey.

Jones just isn't a top draw.

Didnt jones say he gets 5m a fight the other day? The disclosed payments isnt even half of what he gets

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

US2 wrote: »
    Didnt jones say he gets 5m a fight the other day? The disclosed payments isnt even half of what he gets

Wouldnt be suprised. He hasnt got 1 million ppv but after mcgregor he has the highest of the ufc still active. If you're getting a few million for a fight I dont want to hear money complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

The Nal wrote: »
    You can only get your relative piece of the pie though. Jones has never broken $1m on a PPV. Not even for Cormier 2.

Much like boxing, there are very few fighters who get paid the top money. Of the (I think 17) UFC PPVs that have broken the $1m barrier, all but two PPVs have featured either McGregor, Lesnar or Rousey.

Jones just isn't a top draw.

Are you confusing $1m with 1m ppv buys?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Reports that Fight Island actually means Abu Dhabi...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

JJayoo wrote: »
    Jones isn't a big draw, doesn't show in the numbers. The guy has only himself to blame for losing money, how many sponsors has he fcuked up

I dont think Dana is been Stingy. if jones is looking to go from 500k a fight to 5 million is just ridiculous. Jones blaming Dana for not letting him move to heavy to see his full potential is a joke. Had he not been in so much trouble outside of the cage he would be alot richer and probably a bigger draw and would probably get what he wants to go to heavy weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

He's making $5m per fight. Good money by anyone's standards. Simple solution is to give him extra PPV points over a certain amount of buys and it's the up to Jones to prove his worth and sell the fight. Everyone's a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Look, I'm all for just about anyone getting paid more, apart from Jones.

The UFC have stuck by him through:

Multiple arrests
    Multiple DUI's (at least three by my count) with one including a hit and run of a pregnant woman
    Several drug test failures (at least four by my count)
    A cancelled UFC 151 card from the time he refused to fight Sonnen as a late notice replacement
    Press conference brawl with Daniel Cormier

^ on the back of that, he's lucky he's the best fighter in the world, someone like Mayhem Miller was certainly not afforded the same leniency as Jones, for example.

His last few performances have not exactly set the world on fire, and his next fight would likely be behind closed doors, so the UFC lose out on a live gate - the PPV numbers would likely still be high due to a lack of live sport a the minute, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Anyone who thinks UFC fighters are recieving a fair share of revenue generated is either a ****ing idiot or just a boot licker.

Compared to any major league they make less than 20% of revenue generated, the UFC claim this is beause they are free agents and not direcrt employees, but this is patently unture. UFC fighters are not free to make deals with other promoters or organisations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I thought independent contractor was the term they used.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I thought independent contractor was the term they used.

But they're not independant contractors, they have no right to negotiate with other bodies.

You can't compare MMA to traditional sports because they fighters aren're protected as employees of the organisation, and you can't compre it to boxing because they're not free to discuss terms with other sanctioning bodies or promotions.

Instead you have professional atheletes being treated like pantomine actors in the WWE.

Anyone who thinks thos is fair or equitable is a ****ing moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But they're not independant contractors, they have no right to negotiate with other bodies.
    Being an independent contractor doesn’t guarantee you are free to do as you want. You still need to comply with you contract.

They aren’t paid fairly. Neither are boxers on average. You can’t really compare the structure of a fight card to an NFL team either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

You can't compare MMA to traditional sports because they fighters aren're protected as employees of the organisation, and you can't compre it to boxing because they're not free to discuss terms with other sanctioning bodies or promotions.

Instead you have professional atheletes being treated like pantomine actors in the WWE.

Anyone who thinks thos is fair or equitable is a ****ing moron.

I never said they were, I said I thought that was the term they used rather than free agents.
    Free agent is a different thing to independent contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Are you confusing $1m with 1m ppv buys?

Yes indeed, meant 1m buys obvs

Fighters sign contracts. Big, 6 or 7 fight contacts. They are not forced to sign a contact or to fight. Why fans give a **** about how much they get paid is beyond me.

If you make big money you'll be paid big money

If your not happy with a contract dont sign it, go get the big bucks in belator.

Anyone feel like there's something else going on like a well supported new MMA company promising these fighters big money?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Anyone feel like there's something else going on like a well supported new MMA company promising these fighters big money?

No. The fighters who are "retiring" are all in long contracts, doesn't matter how much some or any new mma promoter offers them.

McGregor knew his worth years ago yet keeps signing new contracts. Hes no fool. UFC is the only place to be unless your either coming up or too old

• Advertisement

US2 wrote:
    No. The fighters who are "retiring" are all in long contracts, doesn't matter how much some or any new mma promoter offers them.
    How many fights on their contracts?
    I'm sure they'll be given an option to buy out rather than let them stew and bad mouth the company.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement