Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

eagle eye wrote: »
    What difference does it make? I presume they'll all be in an octagon in a building?

Ah if you don't get it there is no pont explaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Whelo79 wrote:
    Ah if you don't get it there is no pont explaining.
    Don't get what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Whelo79 wrote: »
    It can only really get Gunni at this stage. Kavanagh doesn't have any other UFC signed fighters does he?

Crazy to believe this fight Island is actually going ahead.

Edit: I forgot about Armikani, it could be him too.

Katona aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Katona aswell

He got cut from the ufc a while ago

eagle eye wrote: »
    Don't get what?

If you think this is the same as any old run of the mill fight night and nothing special, that's on you. Like I said, if you don't get it, there's no point trying to explain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I really really hope they go all out, octagon on the beach under huge marquee, if they must, with Dana sitting on a throne in the background.

Was watching some of the Bodog footage from Costa Rica after Chael talking about it. Was mad!

Whelo79 wrote:
    If you think this is the same as any old run of the mill fight night and nothing special, that's on you. Like I said, if you don't get it, there's no point trying to explain.
    Try explain. I'm long enough around to get it if you reveal something I'm missing.
    What's different about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It can only really get Gunni at this stage. Kavanagh doesn't have any other UFC signed fighters does he?

Crazy to believe this fight Island is actually going ahead.

Edit: I forgot about Armikani, it could be him too.

John Phillips also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Mellor wrote: »
    John Phillips also

Good shout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Some new fight announcements, not sure if they've been discussed previously.

Dustin Poirier reportedly fighting Dan Hooker on June 27. Love that fight, could be fantastic.

Frankie Edgar moving to Bantamweight to take on Pedro Munhoz on July 11. Massive Edgar fan so pumped for that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Some new fight announcements, not sure if they've been discussed previously.

Dustin Poirier reportedly fighting Dan Hooker on June 27. Love that fight, could be fantastic.

Frankie Edgar moving to Bantamweight to take on Pedro Munhoz on July 11. Massive Edgar fan so pumped for that one.

I wonder if Frankie will finally get one over on Aldo at BW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Not that he's the biggest guy around, but given he's been on the slide for a few years, has absolutely no hope of ever being champ again and has taken a few batterings recently, cutting to 135 is just something he could do without these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Not that he's the biggest guy around, but given he's been on the slide for a few years, has absolutely no joke of ever being champ again and has taken a few batterings recently, cutting to 135 is just something he could do without these days.

I agree - especially after going through his career without being finished and then being TKO'd twice in his last four outings.

Both of them are on the slide in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I didnt think hed go through with it . UFC obviously not giving him the money he expects. I think he will fight again next year
    Credit where it's due he hes done it all beat the best in both divisions easily.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1264971426836221953?s=19

I think he is the best pound for pound right now. He never ducked anyone. Imo he deserves to get paid. And I don't like his personality but a truly great fighter.

Justin Gaethje & Trevor Wittman on JRE. Should be a good'un - just tuning in now. Justin coming across really well so far, no crazy ego, very down to earth and likeable.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICrqTmO3Eo4

Decent card announced for UFC 250

https://www.ufc.com/news/full-ufc-250-card-announced

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They'll just have a similar deal with a different company. Can't see it changing much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭cletus

They'll just have a similar deal with a different company. Can't see it changing much.

Except the fighter's names might be spelled correctly...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Wish it would go back to the way it was when they could wear what they wanted.

UFC wouldn't get their piece of the pie then though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

mdwexford wrote: »

They could at least allow fighters to have sponsors on their shorts as well as having the branded shorts. Seems like a fair middle ground

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

Still Ill wrote: »
    They could at least allow fighters to have sponsors on their shorts as well as having the branded shorts. Seems like a fair middle ground

I think for that to work the main brand who are UFC’s sponsor would have to have veto on any fighter sponsorship which would be a lot of work and not worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Saw most of his highlights before but this is well put together

A symphony of violence

https://youtu.be/_gTYhfXDNlQ

• Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mdwexford wrote: »

The UFC don't get a cut of the Reebok kit money. Apparently.
    At the time I said the Reebok deal was a just stepping stone for them to this next deal.
    Still Ill wrote: »
    Reebok are paying for exclusive sponsorship. They're never agree to share that billboard.
    Same way that premier league teams had (until recently) a exclusive sponsor. There's no way Chevrolet or whoever don't allow players own sponsors.

I'm watching that JRE MMA podcast with Trevor Whitman and Justin Garthje. Whitman is some man for designing all the MMA equipment. I can't understand why the UFC aren't bringing in the gloves he has designed. They sound like game changers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I'm watching that JRE MMA podcast with Trevor Whitman and Justin Garthje. Whitman is some man for designing all the MMA equipment. I can't understand why the UFC aren't bringing in the gloves he has designed. They sound like game changers.

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

The fact that they want to privately own the technology is ridiculous. Fair play to Trevor for not selling out and sticking to his guns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It's because of the huge contract that is already in place with another company
    Whitman said he didn't "know" but then says UFC wants them to sell there idea or simple work along side the company that supplies the gloves now,
    That's code for saying we want your gloves but we have a long ass contract and that we aren't going to break (they d have to pay off the other company) when consumer of the product don't really care about the gloves

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement