Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People are leaving WhatsApp

Options

Comments

RobAMerc wrote: »
    as far as I know this is not true - because the EU wouldnt allow it and FB had to comply
    it is true in the rest of the world

Exactly. These new terms and conditions which allow WhatsApp to share your data with Facebook do not apply in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Weepsie wrote: »
    If anything it should bother you more than, as you never were giving data over to Facebook's parent company. Now you will be.

Data is all they want so they can package it and sell it to analyst companies, advertising companies etc

So? Mark Zuckerberg and his anal cysts can print off all my cute cat and dog pictures and pages of flirtatious sexts and shove em up his hole for all I care. Maybe he can have himself a little hand party over my profile pictures too.
    I'm not a 15 year old school girl, I pay no heed to advertising or trends. And plus, I am a marketing company's worst nightmare - I am tight as fúck and I'd make a cavan man look like a generous philanthropist.

They get my contacts? Yeah, so he gets the number of some horny hurrbag I rode off of tinder. Maybe he will give her a few flirtatious texts and nail her himself. Or maybe he will order a curry cheese chip from my local chipper.

What difference does it make if whatsapp info is shared with facebook?
    Arent messenger and whatsapp practically interchangeable anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Nothing to do with stealing data and everything to do with avoiding a monopoly. A politicised monopoly at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

So? Mark Zuckerberg and his anal cysts can print off all my cute cat and dog pictures and pages of flirtatious sexts and shove em up his hole for all I care. Maybe he can have himself a little hand party over my profile pictures too.
    I'm not a 15 year old school girl, I pay no heed to advertising or trends. And plus, I am a marketing company's worst nightmare - I am tight as fúck and I'd make a cavan man look like a generous philanthropist.

They get my contacts? Yeah, so he gets the number of some horny hurrbag I rode off of tinder. Maybe he will give her a few flirtatious texts and nail her himself. Or maybe he will order a curry cheese chip from my local chipper.

So, you don't mind sharing her number, just asking for a friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I don't use Facebook so this doesn't bother me in the slightest
    Weepsie wrote: »
    If anything it should bother you more than, as you never were giving data over to Facebook's parent company. Now you will be.

Data is all they want so they can package it and sell it to analyst companies, advertising companies etc

as a non facebook user like me you may feel it doesn't bother you but it should - -read an interesting article once that Facebook builds profiles on non users from the information gleaned from facebook users that contact you. It's like a ghost profile they may not know your name but that have a john doe profile built of you and your interactions with their users. The facebook app on the phone is the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

I mentioned this years ago, all WhatsApp messages already go through the Facebook CDN. I have no doubt they're already trawling the data on WhatsApp, especially since they've had a few problems with people's messages being indexed by Google despite claims they're encrypted.

Not having a FB account doesn't really matter, they have a profile for you regardless compiled by cookies, trackers etc and based on the behaviour of the people around you. You may not have a profile but FB knows who you are, what food you like, your most commonly visited sites etc.

I moved loads of friends off to Telegram a few years back, the only issue is telegram group chats aren't encrypted. Be aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mic 1972 wrote:
    Are we seeing the beginning of something here? I have downloaded both Telegram and Signal as i also won't be accepting WhatsApp new terms and conditions. Maybe it's time to bring competitors into the arena

Who cares! Best of luck with competitors, monopolisation is the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dubbrin

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Twitter will be next, its stocks value keep dropping.

Didn't some orange lad leave it already last week over in the states ?

dubbrin wrote:
    Didn't some orange lad leave it already last week over in the states ?

Didn't hear about that one, but I heard a drama queen was banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They share the data already. End to End encryption is absolute folly. Any time I am having a conversation on WhatsApp, ads pop up on Instagram about the subject matter well before I've even googled it.

I remember one time a friend was on a group saying he got accepted into a course. We asked where it was and didn't get a reply for a while. Low and behold, I'm faffing about on Facebook in the meantime and the course and college is being advertised before he even mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Signal is a registered non-profit and open source and is affiliated with the Electronic Frontier Foundation. People should stop looking a gift horse in the mouth. Regardless of whatsapp privacy policies we should try and use tools which are not trying to make money off our data.

JMNolan wrote:
    Signal is a registered non-profit and open source and is affiliated with the Electronic Frontier Foundation. People should stop looking a gift horse in the mouth. Regardless of whatsapp privacy policies we should try and use tools which are not trying to make money off our data.

....and by fcuk should we be taxing those that do, and heavily to.....

They share the data already. End to End encryption is absolute folly. Any time I am having a conversation on WhatsApp, ads pop up on Instagram about the subject matter well before I've even googled it.

I remember one time a friend was on a group saying he got accepted into a course. We asked where it was and didn't get a reply for a while. Low and behold, I'm faffing about on Facebook in the meantime and the course and college is being advertised before he even mentioned it.

It's insidious, the users are the product, even if you haven't signed up for Facebook or any associated services they still collect your data to build a profile. How is that even allowed?

circadian wrote:
    It's insidious, the users are the product, even if you haven't signed up for Facebook or any associated services they still collect your data to build a profile. How is that even allowed?

Sorry to inform you but as soon as you click on the internets, You 're the product, only way to deal with that, is never use the internets. oh and we ve all allowed this to happen, and a lot of it is virtually tax free, oh and a lot of the tech involved was originally developed in publicly funded institutions and organisations

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Sorry to inform you but as soon as you click on the internets, You 're the product, only way to deal with that, is never use the internets. oh and we ve all allowed this to happen, and a lot of it is virtually tax free, oh and a lot of the tech involved was originally developed in publicly funded institutions and organisations

I totally agree with the taxation side of it. There are ways to reduce the tracking etc but it is very difficult to remove them completely.

I run this on my home network with an old desktop/server handling all the traffic. You can use a Raspberry Pi for it too to create a PiHole.

https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts

I also have it running on my phone and any other relevant devices.

Edit: Here's a link to PiHole. Worth a look if you are in any way interested in reducing this kind of tracking.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/

Can I get the number of that hurrbag too? Asking for a friend.

I tried a few years ago and asked family and friends to move to signal from whatsapp, no interest from any but one person, they just didn't care or couldn't be bothered, so I'm stuck with it (whatsapp).

So what can I do?

I tried a few years ago and asked family and friends to move to signal from whatsapp, no interest from any but one person, they just didn't care or couldn't be bothered, so I'm stuck with it (whatsapp).

So what can I do?

If you want rid of it, then get rid of it. You can't control the actions of others, if someone wants to get in touch with you they can call/text or install signal to do so. I know it sounds bull headed but if you really want to move away from the platform the best thing to do is just get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Is targeted advertising that bad? They're going to advertise anyway right, why not make it something I might at least be interested in as opposed to something I'm not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

The majority of people don't give a monkeys about T&C's or what Facebook are doing...

If there is a mass migration to a different platform it'll be because of trends (most likely initiated by some vapid celebrity)...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

So what happens when Signal and Telegram go to sell or inevitable want to harvest your data in some way, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Morse code could be an option.

circadian wrote: »
    I totally agree with the taxation side of it. There are ways to reduce the tracking etc but it is very difficult to remove them completely.

I run this on my home network with an old desktop/server handling all the traffic. You can use a Raspberry Pi for it too to create a PiHole.

https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts

I also have it running on my phone and any other relevant devices.

Edit: Here's a link to PiHole. Worth a look if you are in any way interested in reducing this kind of tracking.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/

can't people just add an extension to stop tracking?

As for WhatsApp, a lot of people joined it as it was supposedly peer to peer encryption. If that is the case what data is FB getting. Nothing from the conversations, unless that is a lie.

I also use telegram, which is fine as an app, and has some nice features. If everybody moved to it, I would too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

So what can I do?

Just get rid of WhatsApp. This is what I did 2 years ago. Over time family members will change to Telegram when they find SMS annoying.

Whatsapp will never go. A messaging service is only as good as how many contacts you have on it.

Telegram was already a far superior service (tablet version, proper windows version, etc) and still nobody used it.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Is targeted advertising that bad? They're going to advertise anyway right, why not make it something I might at least be interested in as opposed to something I'm not.

The targeted advertising doesn't bother me that much. It's the fact that posts/messages etc could very easily be used out of context against you. If you, a friend or family member were to run for a political position and something out of context from a personal chat comes out then it could completely destroy that persons character.

People have a right to expect some sort of privacy in their lives, social media companies are completely disregarding that purely for profit, regardless of the litany of side effects that come with that model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

McMurphy wrote: »
    I still use Jumbuck on WAP.

Cardi B?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Just get rid of WhatsApp. This is what I did 2 years ago. Over time family members will change to Telegram when they find SMS annoying.

so what happens Telegram sell or sells its data or profits for it in some other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/whatsapp-fights-back-as-users-flee-to-signal-and-telegram-1.4457258

"Signal was downloaded 8.8 million times worldwide in the week after the WhatsApp changes were first announced on January 4th, versus 246,000 times the week before, according to data from Sensor Tower.

The app also got a boost when Elon Musk, the chief executive of Tesla, tweeted “Use Signal” on January 7th.

By contrast, WhatsApp recorded 9.7 million downloads in the week after the announcement, compared with 11.3 million before, a 14 per cent decrease, Sensor Tower said."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It could've been your keyboard app

Advertisement