Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Mobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I switched today. I did at my local post office. It took about 5 hours to get my number ported over. Other than that there was no issues. Once it was ported over I put in my new sim and immediately got a text with instructions to set up my internet. I have an iPhone so had to download a profile. So far so good. I am getting about 28.6 Mbps download speed. About the same as when I was with Three. It is still saying I am on the vodaphone network though. Not sure if that is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I switched today. I did at my local post office. It took about 5 hours to get my number ported over. Other than that there was no issues. Once it was ported over I put in my new sim and immediately got a text with instructions to set up my internet. I have an iPhone so had to download a profile. So far so good. I am getting about 28.6 Mbps download speed. About the same as when I was with Three. It is still saying I am on the vodaphone network though. Not sure if that is normal.

AFIK, An Post use the Vodafone network for their service, so yes that's normal.

By the way, I also switched over today from Three. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Yes, it uses Vodafone network. Welcome to the very small club.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Comhra wrote: »
    AFIK, An Post use the Vodafone network for their service, so yes that's normal.

By the way, I also switched over today from Three. :)

I've had nothing but issues with Three over the last year or so. Finally had enough and switched. I was going to switch to GoMo until I randomly came across this thread. Glad I did now!

I've had nothing but issues with Three over the last year or so. Finally had enough and switched. I was going to switch to GoMo until I randomly came across this thread. Glad I did now!

I have yet to find anyone in person that is with PM. It's a forgotten network and seems like people have awful issues getting signed up to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bronkobilly

TheDriver wrote: »
    I have yet to find anyone in person that is with PM. It's a forgotten network and seems like people have awful issues getting signed up to them.

No.problems.here.every.thing.working.fine

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I was with them for 6-9 months before I switched to 48 last month. Worked fine for me, and I'm thinking about switching one of the kids off the Vodafone €20 deal to PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 stcosmin

pobbien wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know if An Postmobile has HD calling enabled, same as Vodafone themselves? thx
    Yes, HD voice is available with post mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cosdec

My wife switched over and has had isues dialing North of Ireland numbers. Their helpdesk tells her she has to top up becuase she is only using her "first month free" at tthe moment. CAn anyone confirm that when/if she switches on the auto-pay option and pays her 15 a month by direct debit or whatever, that all UK numbers and roaming works as normal ?

cosdec wrote: »
    My wife switched over and has had isues dialing North of Ireland numbers. Their helpdesk tells her she has to top up becuase she is only using her "first month free" at tthe moment. CAn anyone confirm that when/if she switches on the auto-pay option and pays her 15 a month by direct debit or whatever, that all UK numbers and roaming works as normal ?

That's normal because in the first free month you get just national and roaming benefits. Calling NI is international dialing and you need credit to do it.
    After you auto-topup 15 E, anpost will give you free 10 Euro credit that can be used in the next 3 months and you will be able to call NI numbers. After you use the 10 Euro bonus, you will have to top-up more than 15 Euro if you want to call international numbers.

• Advertisement

but if she is on "bill pay" for AnPost Mobile, it is a fixed 15 a month. Does that include roaming for Europe and UK calls/texts. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

but if she is on "bill pay" for AnPost Mobile, it is a fixed 15 a month. Does that include roaming for Europe and UK calls/texts. ?

It's not bill pay, auto top up can be stopped and top up can be added manually but that will only give 28 days usage compared to 31 days for auto top up.

Roaming is included but calling international numbers is not. NI landlines should be included when using 048 prefix.

cosdec wrote: »

There is no bill pay with an post mobile. You just chose to do auto-top-up and in order to keep the plan, you have to auto-top-up 15 Euro or more. If you auto top-up just 15 Euro that will be used for national + roaming (EU + UK, calls/text/data) benefits. If you want to call internationally, you have to top-up more than 15 Euro (how much more is based on how many calls you do internationally) because international calls/texts are not included in the plan.

thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭deezell

stcosmin wrote: »
    That's normal because in the first free month you get just national and roaming benefits. Calling NI is international dialing and you need credit to do it.
    After you auto-topup 15 E, anpost will give you free 10 Euro credit that can be used in the next 3 months and you will be able to call NI numbers. After you use the 10 Euro bonus, you will have to top-up more than 15 Euro if you want to call international numbers.
    Thats interesting. I accidentally ( and not for the first time) tapped a message contact icon rather than a Whatsapp contact icon to send someone a big fat image file. Previously, I was then screwed by Eir for MMS text message, instead of using data. When I done this on anPost mobile, it rejected the message, due to lack of funds I presume, tho I had the free tenner showing in my balance, but had yet to do a first top up.
    I also noted that VPN didn't work till I first topped up. I can VPN back to my router, and then use my landline IP telephony, using my mobile as a handset. I have free UK calls on my landline plan, and when abroad, my mobile acts like my house phone when I switch vpn on, so when outside of EU roaming, this is quite a cost saver

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

The "good" thing about the 50Gb limit is that it doesn't attract customers who want to use it for home modems etc and hence most
    Users prob only use 10Gb a month. This results in consistent speeds and I don't find myself saying speeds are crawling this evening unlike the 48 thread. The 250mins abroad is quite low but 99% of users won't care about that.
    I've found the speeds consistent and useful. Even if speed drops to 1-2Mb, YouTube works unlike eir 1-2Mb would have the circle going around and around.
    This product suits someone who has home broadband and isn't always in urban settings

That sounds suitable for me.

I have good broadband, live in the country, but move around for work.

Did I see though that it can’t be tethered to an iPad or laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

I can't get tethering working on an iPhone anyway. I contacted them last night so will see what they say.

It's interesting that they don't say it's not allowed but rather it doesn't work with an iPhone.

So an iPhone cant be used as a hotspot?

brianomc wrote: »
    I can't get tethering working on an iPhone anyway. I contacted them last night so will see what they say.
    Ok, that would rule it out for me.

Are they making a distinction between tethering and hotspotting?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Sorry, I was using the words interchangeably. Its a hotspot that I couldn't setup.

I don't know if its possible via a cable

• Advertisement

brianomc wrote: »
    Sorry, I was using the words interchangeably. Its a hotspot that I couldn't setup.

I don't know if its possible via a cable

Ah I’d be the same actually, I’d only want to hot spot, I was just wondering if some people made the distinction, or if An Post did.

I’d just want to be able to hotspot for substituting WiFi in hotels and an occasional broadband outage.

I'm on android and it hotspots fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'm on android and it hotspots fine

No problems with hotspot either. Just had to drive up the road to use it to renew my motor tax online. Good fixed line internet but no bl00dy coverage at home and now motortax.ie want bank authentication for every card payment.

Wake me up when it's all over.

If they don't remove the restriction, you should make a formal complaint and go to Comreg if necessary.

They don't have to support it but they shouldn't be blocking it.

It's kind of understandable that networks with other mobile broadband plans might want to restrict tethering but PM don't have any other plans....they're actually deterring new customers which seems like an odd strategy. The plan is capped anyway so restricting hotspot makes very little sense.

https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115800471&postcount=3010

Ten Pin wrote: »
    If they don't remove the restriction, you should make a formal complaint and go to Comreg if necessary.

They don't have to support it but they shouldn't be blocking it.

https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115800471&postcount=3010

Is there any reason why its ok on Android but not possible on an iPhone?

No problems with hotspot either. Just had to drive up the road to use it to renew my motor tax online. Good fixed line internet but no bl00dy coverage at home and now motortax.ie want bank authentication for every card payment.

Are you on Android?

Is there any reason why its ok on Android but not possible on an iPhone?

It's easier for ISP to block it on iphone. It can be done on Android but they'd lose a chunk of customers if they tried that. The plan is capped and most of their customers probably wouldn't use even half the 50GB allowance anyway.

AidenL wrote: »
    Are you on Android?

Sorry Android.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    It's easier for ISP to block it on iphone. It can be done on Android but they'd lose a chunk of customers if they tried that. It's an odd strategy on a capped plan and most of their customers probably wouldn't use even half the 50GB allowance anyway.

I've no idea how my allowance works out but I'm more than happy that my 20GB lasts for 60 days :confused: but I only have it for when travelling in the UK and online stuff that needs varification. Hardly use a GB.

• Advertisement

I've no idea how my allowance works out but I'm more than happy that my 20GB lasts for 60 days :confused: but I only have it for when travelling in the UK and online stuff that needs varification. Hardly use a GB.

Is that 20GB via an add on?

Advertisement