Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I see Andy McEntee has criticised other counties for training during lockdown but were Meath not known to be training in Gormanstown during last Summer’s lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I see Andy McEntee has criticised other counties for training during lockdown but were Meath not known to be training in Gormanstown during last Summer’s lockdown?

Yep. And on the Milltown road pitch in Ashbourne. Full contact sessions. Very hypocritical of him if he is now complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yep. And on the Milltown road pitch in Ashbourne. Full contact sessions. Very hypocritical of him if he is now complaining.

Why were Meath training there? Seems a bit random.

Why were Meath training there? Seems a bit random.

A quiet location I'd assume. I actually thought it was the Ashbourne seniors at first until I saw McEntee and a few others I recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Even after the lockdown, when club action was allowed again Meath were doing 1/2 sessions a week despite that period being "reserved" for the club game and county training barred. I think after a protest from the clubs it was stopped. Seems a bit hypocritical of McEntee.

Funny that the most prominent example of starting early to get a headstart was Wexford hurlers, who ended up having a disastrous championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭John.burke

rpurfield wrote: »
    Fergal Lynch from the Chronicle has tweeted that it looks like Bernard Flynn will be the new U20 manager. It also seems he will have Graham Geraghty and the Mayo ladies manager with him. Interesting

Good news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

A quiet location I'd assume. I actually thought it was the Ashbourne seniors at first until I saw McEntee and a few others I recognised.

Seen them in Ashbourne myself and it seemed to be all the south Meath lads. Ratoath Dunboyne etc. I'd say the panel was split into groups to train, when I seen it it was before the pitches had opened back up at all. It wasn't that quiet a location. I was doing a bootcamp with about 25 others, there was at least two other teams in doing small sessions too :D

Cavan King mentioning Gormanston reminds me of my favourite lockdown moan. One of our club hurlers was complaining on Facebook about around six other teams using Gormanston for illegal training. A mate of mine that is with one of the other clubs was telling me when I mentioned it the complaint came from some of our hurlers arriving over to do their own session and having no room to do it!! As an aside to that since the summer the management company in Gormanston has put big fences up around the pitches now, all non sanctioned use of the place is over.

rpurfield wrote: »
    Seen them in Ashbourne myself and it seemed to be all the south Meath lads. Ratoath Dunboyne etc. I'd say the panel was split into groups to train, when I seen it it was before the pitches had opened back up at all. It wasn't that quiet a location. I was doing a bootcamp with about 25 others, there was at least two other teams in doing small sessions too :D

We were in the same bootcamp so :pac: I meant quiet location in general. Which is usually would be tbf apart from a few joggers around the perimeter

Yeah, the lads who were training at the bottom near us were from Ballyboughal. The lads that went up the top to the corner above us was the Ashbourne junior team.

I didnt actually have a problem with it. Just a bit mad for Andy to be giving out now when he was at it himself last year.

We were in the same bootcamp so :pac: I meant quiet location in general. Which is usually would be tbf apart from a few joggers around the perimeter

Yeah, the lads who were training at the bottom near us were from Ballyboughal. The lads that went up the top to the corner above us was the Ashbourne junior team.

I didnt actually have a problem with it. Just a bit mad for Andy to be giving out now when he was at it himself last year.

Yeah fair point, no point drawing the eye on yourself like that at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Good to see Bernard Flynn and Geraghty getting involved with the minors. It seems to be a good backroom team.

Anyone know how long they are in for? Surely more than 1 year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭John.burke

Great news for all, I imagine the roles are theirs for however long the want but then again this is Meath - they could be out again this time next year

jimd2 wrote: »
    Good to see Bernard Flynn and Geraghty getting involved with the minors. It seems to be a good backroom team.

Anyone know how long they are in for? Surely more than 1 year?

John McCarthy is over the minors.

Flynn and Geraghty will be with the U20s

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

GGs recovery must be going well if he's able to commit to the u20s. Though who knows when that championship will be taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

GGs recovery must be going well if he's able to commit to the u20s. Though who knows when that championship will be taking place.

You'd imagine he'd have to have really put his name strongly forward for the role because logic would say "Graham, you need a break for a while. Take a breather and come back to us in 2022 and the role is yours"

I don't want this to sound like I'm being down on the appointment because I'm excited by it, just wondering what Bernie Flynn's managerial CV is like? I know he managed Mullingar Shamrocks at one stage anyway but out from that I'm not sure?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

FYI a Feedback Thread has been opened.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058149601

Please read the Opening Post before posting.

Any opinions or thoughts in general are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

For those of a certain vintage who would like to be tortured from Dublin. Or those that would like cheering up from Meath. Or even those who just want to hear about the take of those involved in a great four game saga.

Dublin v Meath 'The Royal Battle' programme about the four in a row Preliminary Round, back in 1991.

Interestingly Vinnie Murphy still seemed very sore about Dave Foran being played at full forward in the first game. Said he should have been given 20mins by Paddy Cullen at Full Forward instead of the corner. As a young fella he said it drained his confidence a bit.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

For those of a certain vintage who would like to be tortured from Dublin. Or those that would like cheering up from Meath. Or even those who just want to hear about the take of those involved in a great four game saga.

Dublin v Meath 'The Royal Battle' programme about the four in a row Preliminary Round, back in 1991.

Interestingly Vinnie Murphy still seemed very sore about Dave Foran being played at full forward in the first game. Said he should have been given 20mins by Paddy Cullen at Full Forward instead of the corner. As a young fella he said it drained his confidence a bit.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Have this on dvd. These days won't ever be seen again. Glad I got to witness them because my kids sure as hell won't or anything remotely similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

^^^Was 18 at the time and was at all those games, big bunch of us on a bus from Athboy up to the big smoke for the game and pints, would stop in Jack Quinns on the way back.

Two great teams in fairness, you're right RoyalCelt our kids will never witness great times like this for the foreseeable, Leinster matches against the Dubs were magic back then and was to the benefit of Gaelic football in general.

Your goalkeeping woes may be solved lads....

https://www.lmfm.ie/news/sport/mountney-oduwa-and-corcoran-all-depart-dundalk/

Corcoran has left Dundalk and I’m hearing he’s been called in by Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

I wonder if jimmy will maybe play outfield from what I've heard he's a serious player

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭enricoh

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Your goalkeeping woes may be solved lads....

https://www.lmfm.ie/news/sport/mountney-oduwa-and-corcoran-all-depart-dundalk/

Corcoran has left Dundalk and I’m hearing he’s been called in by Meath.

The last keeper that inspired me was Brendan murphy, he came from a soccer background too. Here's hoping!

Think he's played outfield for Drumbaragh when he's played for them. No reason why he couldn't play between the sticks for Meath. Possibly our best ever keeper, Cormac O'Sullivan, played outfield for Pat's if I remember correctly.

^^^Mickey Mc Quillen played outfield as well for his club, can't remember off hand who though, St.Michaels??

Looked it up MIckey Mc Quillen also played for St.Pat's

Think he's played outfield for Drumbaragh when he's played for them. No reason why he couldn't play between the sticks for Meath. Possibly our best ever keeper, Cormac O'Sullivan, played outfield for Pat's if I remember correctly.

Sully played midfield and went into full forward in latter years. Mickey McQuillan was the same, played mostly outfield. I don't think its too uncommon for county keepers tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

enricoh wrote: »
    The last keeper that inspired me was Brendan murphy, he came from a soccer background too. Here's hoping!

What about Big Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Dickie10

conor martin played a good bit outfield when younger

• Advertisement

Jimmy does play out the field for Drumbaragh alright and has run up some big scores. I’d imagine he is in with Meath as a ‘keeper though.

The man who many tip to pick up the goalkeeper All Star this year, Raymond Galligan, still plays full forward for his club and didn’t play in goals for Cavan until a 2015 first round Ulster tie vs Monaghan. He’s 33 now so would have been 27/28 by the time he played in goals!

He’s from the same club as Terry Hyland, then Cavan manager, and Terry brought him in purely because of his place kicking ability.

Advertisement