Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'trampoline wars' FG Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

Necro wrote: »
    I'm sure it will be fine :) I've got tomorrow off, work gave me a half day business leave but after some... 'negotiations' they agreed to let me have the full day :pac:

Oh that is good!

I just got a sample test for a Product Owner job and OMG it is terrifying! I really need to learn some sh1t for this. They know I have no experience in PO, but I have the finance background. tis tough

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Oh that is good!

I just got a sample test for a Product Owner job and OMG it is terrifying! I really need to learn some sh1t for this. They know I have no experience in PO, but I have the finance background. tis tough

Twill be fine once you have the work put in for it :)

In other news, went to see my local drama group's panto last night. Gotta say, I missed the buzz from performing last year. This year with time off and leave etc. it just didn't work out for me but I think I'll have to jump back in next year all things going to plan. Although, what puts me off is a few... creative... issues with the current director. So not sure if I want to put myself through it again..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Trying to get the play WW themed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Twill be fine once you have the work put in for it :)

In other news, went to see my local drama group's panto last night. Gotta say, I missed the buzz from performing last year. This year with time off and leave etc. it just didn't work out for me but I think I'll have to jump back in next year all things going to plan. Although, what puts me off is a few... creative... issues with the current director. So not sure if I want to put myself through it again..

Putting aside how Prima Donna that sounds :pac: You should book us a WW front row so we can make a day of it :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Pter wrote: »
    Trying to get the play WW themed?

Ha! Not sure how that would go down. One I'd be all over in a heartbeat would be The Lion King though. I've been practicing my Jeremy Lyons impression since I was a kid :p

• Advertisement

fixxxer wrote: »
    Putting aside how Prima Donna that sounds :pac: You should book us a WW front row so we can make a day of it :D

:pac: Yeah, reading it back it sound a bit diva-ish! Nah it's more I don't approve of every show they do having an inserted vanity project for themselves. Already get enough kudos as director/producer, so I don't see the point. It's always way out of place within the show too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

So I'm outta my house overnight with a stupid security alert. Staying with the in-laws but we cant get in to feed our cat or pick up any stuff. Actually raging. The in laws have said they've never been put out of their house as long as they've been living in Belfast. Ugh, just my luck!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    So I'm outta my house overnight with a stupid security alert. Staying with the in-laws but we cant get in to feed our cat or pick up any stuff. Actually raging. The in laws have said they've never been put out of their house as long as they've been living in Belfast. Ugh, just my luck!

Saw that on FB. Poor cat! :( Poor yous :( I'd be up the walls if I could get in to look after mine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

quickbeam wrote: »
    Saw that on FB. Poor cat! :( Poor yous :( I'd be up the walls if I could get in to look after mine.

Where’s the general fb love?!

That’s crap Molly. Hope ye get sorted soon.

Got in to feed her and she isn't one bit pleased with us. But at least she's fed for the night. If nothing else comes of tonight I can at least say I've been in a PSNI landrover. Makes me sound like a rebel. Lol. Thank god the in-laws live up the road from us or we'd be in a leisure centre for the night.

• Advertisement

Good luck flushy and necro with today’s interviews!

xxx

Ok, real life scenario

Last Wednesday a school received a threatening phone call (during school day) saying something along the lines of “I’m gonna shoot the school up”. The school contacts Garda, education dept, etc and carries out risk assessment. The children are kept in school that day and parents are only notified yesterday evening that there had been a prank call.

Loads of parents up in arms about not being told. Personally, I think the school have acted correctly. It’s not an everyday scenario and going by some reactions on social media, mass panic would have happened if they knew about the phone call on the day it happened.

What do you guys think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Ok, real life scenario

Last Wednesday a school received a threatening phone call (during school day) saying something along the lines of “I’m gonna shoot the school up”. The school contacts Garda, education dept, etc and carries out risk assessment. The children are kept in school that day and parents are only notified yesterday evening that there had been a prank call.

Loads of parents up in arms about not being told. Personally, I think the school have acted correctly. It’s not an everyday scenario and going by some reactions on social media, mass panic would have happened if they knew about the phone call on the day it happened.

What do you guys think?

If the combined decision by the school & the guards & the edu. dept. was not to inform the parents, then why should a few parents think they know better? I think they done the right thing.

You trust these institutions with your kids care and education (school + dept.) and the policing of our state (guards), so why should anybody think they suddenly done the wrong thing now,.

Social media (facebook and twitter) are a menace!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Ok, real life scenario

What do you guys think?

As a teacher... I think that was totally appropriate. A similar incident happened in a school a colleague has her son in and there was panic. Absolute panic. That threat was made publically though.

Most schools, any school I have been in recently anyway, have locked doors and access is restricted so it’s next to impossible to get in. You need to get passed the school secretary and they’re a force to be reckoned with!!! Probably a student trying to get out of exams.

I agree Keith.

It was kids being kids and wasn’t even a phone call but a note from one lad to another.

But even if it wasn’t, these parents have it in their heads that if someone calls up saying they are going to shoot up the school, the best thing would have been to text all the parents at that time, who in turn text their kids in the school. Then the kids and parents panic, running around the school, possibly getting trampled, then they all end up outside as sitting ****ing targets!!

AND

when it all turns out to be a false alarm they’ll blame the school again anyway.

Agree with sKeith and Sully. Doubt it was the school going rogue and doing their own thing. Bet it was advised action and in line with the right procedure.

All the parents would be able to do is panic. There isnt anything else that any of the parents could have done to help the situation.

Well unless little Johnny Seagall goes to that school.

Yeah I'd agree with sully and sKeith, think it was the right call not to publicise it. You even see today the rumours flowing around about people with no proof at all about allegations.

Finished the exam anyways. Timing was the hardest part but got all questions answered. Now I play the waiting game...

Well done Necro. Best of luck!

Thanks, should be fine I think. Wasn't overly complicated but just a slog to get through. I'd be confident enough of placing well but obviously hard to say until I see my results. Feet up now and a bit of January game planning - not in until 2pm tomorrow so all is good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

As a parent who works fecking miles away from my kid's school, while I can step back and see the wisdom of keeping these things need-to-know while they're assessed and dealt with by the professionals, I'd prefer a heads-up so I can start getting myself into a position where I'm closer by to react as and when needed. (I mean collecting the child or something, not ripping my shirt open and crawling into the vents with a sharpened toothbrush on the end of a broom handle - I ain't like that no more, Ned!). But realistically how do you call a parent and say "No panic, there's just been a threat of a violent shooting in your kids school, but it's a joke, like. Probably." without causing a furore?

Similarly I can understand how the shock and relief over finding out your child was potentially in danger, and you did nothing, but then they weren't in danger would turn into anger, the same way when you find your child after 30 minutes of tearing through Next calling their name in an increasingly shaky voice, the first thing you do is threaten to kill them and bury the body in an unmarked grave.

So I suppose I'm saying don't judge the parents too harshly. The ones who don't get upset are the ones you should worry about, because they're the ones that don't give a **** about their kids.
    But feel free to judge the whatsapp groups that create confirmation bias cones to amplify that anger into an incoherent rage that blasts out of facebook and joe duffy phone-ins. They're the devil!

• Advertisement

So Banjo what you're saying is you're really John McClane :eek:

Update on my exam. Boy am I glad I got my test out of the way early this morning. Apparently the whole site crashed for the 11.15am slot.

So likely resits and more hold ups.

Civil Service. The joys. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Well done Necro!

How'd you get on MrsF?

I had such a lovely moment today. Soppy story alert.

I had my grand aunt at the hospital for a check up. She has dementia and other health issues and she was at the old age clinic today. I went to grab a coffee while we were waiting. For anyone that has been to said clinic in the mater, it’s a maze/warren of corridors. The lift opened and I got out and looked around. A little old lady said I looked confused and did I need directions. I said “cafe sol, please” and she said she was going there herself and we could walk together.

She asked if she could lean on me and then we proceeded to chat. She told me all about herself (she’s a nun and worked in the hospital for years - every staff member said hello to her!) and commented that “they’ll think I made a new friend when they see me holding on to you!” And then she said “and I suppose I have made a new friend!”

She said that she was done talking and that I should tell her about myself and that I have a lovely face, I told her I am a teacher and a bit about myself and she gave me a hug. She invited herself to sit with me for coffee, but then excused herself. Basically she said “I’d love to sit with you for coffee but I’m meeting another friend” which I thought was lovely.

After I got my coffee (takeaway) and went to say goodbye and she said it was a privilege to meet me and we had another hug.

It was 5 minutes of my day, but an incredibly lovely 5 minutes.

Ah jasus who's been cutting onions in here again?

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I get weepy around old people at the best of times. It was amazing. I left her with such a big smile on my face.

Mollyb60 wrote:

Sorry, was just prepping my spicy kebab. Less onions next time methinks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I have a question I think you lot with kids could answer. Are pantos still all "IT'S BEHIND YOU" and "OH NO I DIDN'T" "OH YES YOU DID" ?

it's probably 25 years since I've been to one so I don't know what the latest panto trends are

I have a question I think you lot with kids could answer. Are pantos still all "IT'S BEHIND YOU" and "OH NO I DIDN'T" "OH YES YOU DID" ?

it's probably 25 years since I've been to one so I don't know what the latest panto trends are

Yeah pretty much. Harder to get engagement on them now than it used to be though. Was at the local one and I swear half the front row were too busy on their phones :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Yeah pretty much. Harder to get engagement on them now than it used to be though. Was at the local one and I swear half the front row were too busy on their phones :eek:

oh no really? that's so sad! I used to love that about the panto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Went to the Cheerios one last year and the Jedwards with Al Porter ones in town a few times before he was outed as a sex pest, very funny, all the "its behind you" stuff is present and correct, adaptations of well known songs (Desper-ito, take me out fer a cappuccino), obligatory Trump references, occasional audience humiliation and a lot of breaking character to make fun of the other actors. The kids love them and get very attached to the Dames. (They don't want Panto this year, they want to go see "deh Buffy"). Basically it's Mrs Brown but without the swearing and the jokes are funny.

Advertisement