Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'trampoline wars' FG Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

What’s your usual Christmas Day food?

We start the morning with smoked salmon, scrambled eggs n soda bread.

The main event is
    prawn cocktail
    soup
    Turkey, ham, stuffing, brussell sprouts, mashed carrots and parsnips, mashed potatoes, roasties, pigs in blankets, yorkshire puds, gravy and an entire jar of cranberry sauce.

I’m stuck for what to do for dessert

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

The main event is
    prawn cocktail
    soup
    Turkey, ham, stuffing, brussell sprouts, mashed carrots and parsnips, mashed potatoes, roasties, pigs in blankets, yorkshire puds, gravy and an entire jar of cranberry sauce.

Jaysus! I need a snooze reading that!!

We do a fry in the morning.

Ham, mash, roasties, carrots, broccoli and white sauce for the ham. Turkey just goes to waste in our house.

I'll make my own ice cream for dessert, I have an idea how to make my very own peanut butter cup ice cream so I'll be trialing that this weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

cheesecake, icecream & jelly, banoffi, apple tart, custard and pudding.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The main event is
    prawn cocktail
    soup

Small fry up in the morning cooked by my Dad :)

While the parents are out at mass then my wife cooks chicken and mushroom vol au vents for lunch.

Main event is:
    Turkey, Ham, Stuffing, Yorkshire puddings, Mash and roast spuddies, Peas and gravy.
    There's prob other veg too I just can't remember.

Dessert is funny in our place we usually have:
    Trifle made by mum
    Cheesecake of some description
    Some chocolate type dessert.

Then I die for about 4 hours thinking I'm about to explode :pac:

Keith! There’s not one choccy dessert on your list :(

• Advertisement

Keith! There’s not one choccy dessert on your list :(

add chocolate sprinkles to the jelly & icecream.

or stick a flake in the icecream :D

Do you have one of them fandangled ice cream makers, TB?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

We never really have a big breakfast in our house at Christmas, mostly because we have the main dinner so early (usually around 1/2). The usual fare for the dinner then is mushroom vol-au-vents for starter (cos we can't let go of the 90's), then the usual turkey, ham, sprouts (devils poop imo), carrots, gravy, stuffing and spuds. We would never have the cranberry sauce but after having some earlier this month I'm a total convert so I'll be bringing my own sauce with me to have.
    Then 3 types of desert - pavlova, sherry trifle and cheesecake. Whatever takes your fancy.

We have an entire extended family party in our house Christmas night so the early afternoon is usually spent making trays and trays of sandwiches with the leftover turkey and ham. They're usually demolished by the end of the night.

Usually make and eat vol au vants on Xmas eve. Chicken ones and I use Campbell’s condensed chicken n white wine soup for the sauce.

Usually make and eat vol au vants on Xmas eve. Chicken ones and I use Campbell’s condensed chicken n white wine soup for the sauce.

There's a knorr mushroom sauce packet that's used with us. we're too lazy to cook a chicken for it so just have the mushrooms but they're always a huge hit in our kitchen. I'd lick the plate if I wasn't more polite!

Also we've never had roast potatoes in our house for some reason. I could never understand the obsession with them for everyone else. They're grand like but mashed is clearly the superior method of eating the potato.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    There's a knorr mushroom sauce packet that's used with us. we're too lazy to cook a chicken for it so just have the mushrooms but they're always a huge hit in our kitchen. I'd lick the plate if I wasn't more polite!

Also we've never had roast potatoes in our house for some reason. I could never understand the obsession with them for everyone else. They're grand like but mashed is clearly the superior method of eating the potato.

What manner of madness is this??

I will fight you on this Fixxxer. I judge restaurants on their mashed potato.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

We have an entire extended family party in our house Christmas night so the early afternoon is usually spent making trays and trays of sandwiches with the leftover turkey and ham. They're usually demolished by the end of the night.

:( Yeah so do we but work decided to crap all over my plans for that this year and make me work Christmas Day night (refused me leave too).

So no drink at all on Xmas Day for Necro this year.

I plan to make up for that in spades on Stephens Day though:cool:

Roasties for the win. I can take or leave mash.

I miss the days when pubs, on a Sunday, would fire roast potatoes up on the counter for customers. Loads of salt on them to make you thirsty.

Necro wrote: »
    :( Yeah so do we but work decided to crap all over my plans for that this year and make me work Christmas Day night (refused me leave too).

So no drink at all on Xmas Day for Necro this year.

I plan to make up for that in spades on Stephens Day though:cool:

What.the.actual.****.

Are you sure you don't feel a crippling flu coming on Necro? Or a broken leg? Or some necrotising fasciitis? Something that would make you unable to turn up for work that night?

I will fight you on this Fixxxer. I judge restaurants on their mashed potato.

As an expert on making both, I will also fight you! Properly done mash is lovely, but nothing can beat the crispy/chewy outside, soft inside of a properly roasted spud.

fixxxer wrote: »
    As an expert on making both, I will also fight you! Properly done mash is lovely, but nothing can beat the crispy/chewy outside, soft inside of a properly roasted spud.

I'm an expert on making neither (correct potato preparation eludes me for some reason. It's my greatest embarrassment) but imo it is so much harder to have a perfectly seasoned and creamy mash than a roastie. A good mash brings a traditional dinner together so much better. And it doesn't fall apart when you try to get it on your fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mash is the best. I got your back Molly.

What.the.actual.****.

Are you sure you don't feel a crippling flu coming on Necro? Or a broken leg? Or some necrotising fasciitis? Something that would make you unable to turn up for work that night?

:pac: Yeah. Joys of shift work. I was actually down to work Christmas Eve night too but managed to swing that one off.

It's more frustrating as our team has one of these funny Sundays (basically a day we get given off but paid normal rate for as they try and reduce Sunday rate payments) on the 23rd, so now I have to go in for 5 hours on Christmas Day night because management are a crowd of pricks.

And my sister is home from Canada with her b/f too so we'd have a decent crowd - was finally going to introduce them to WW :(

I miss working in construction as you were guaranteed to be off until after the new year.

Then I worked in the bookies and worked Xmas eve and opened up St Stephen’s day so didn’t drink that evening.

Oh, there was one year that my daughter got a Xmas job in Next and their sale started at 5am on St Stephen’s Day. I had to drive her there for 4:30am and there was a queue of customers waiting already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

We have mash and roast.

Mash: boil spuds in salted water, put them thru a ricer, mix with cream and butter, yum.

Roasties: par boil spuds in salted water, drain, dry, fluff by shaking, shake in a mix of polenta and flour, put in pre-heated fat-of-choice (usually goose fat unless we have vegetarians over), cook for a few mins, turn them over, baste. Repeat until cooked.

Those potatoes sound AMAZING sully. I'm drooling here thinking about them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Sully will you come to my house and make 2x types of potato for us please?

And TBs ice cream and Molly’s vol au vants

sullivlo wrote: »
    We have mash and roast.

Mash: boil spuds in salted water, put them thru a ricer, mix with cream and butter, yum.

Roasties: par boil spuds in salted water, drain, dry, fluff by shaking, shake in a mix of polenta and flour, put in pre-heated fat-of-choice (usually goose fat unless we have vegetarians over), cook for a few mins, turn them over, baste. Repeat until cooked.

your roast spuds sound like fried spuds, lovely too, but you roast roast spuds.

Do you have one of them fandangled ice cream makers, TB?

I do because I'm both lactose intolerant and an Ice Cream fanatic I decided to treat myself, I got for nothing from the amazon warehouse sale

All this vol au vent talk.... I'm defo gonna make some this year

sKeith wrote: »
    your roast spuds sound like fried spuds, lovely too, but you roast roast spuds.

How do you do roast spuds? That sounds like the perfect recipe to me.

fixxxer wrote: »
    How do you do roast spuds? That sounds like the perfect recipe to me.

preheat the oven, or not, depending how pushed i am, rummage around the freezer for the bag of roast spuds, pop them in the oven, wait some time, time can be used to get the gravy ready, (can explain how to make gravy too). remove from oven and put on plate, cover with loads of gravy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

sKeith wrote: »
    preheat the oven, or not, depending how pushed i am, rummage around the freezer for the bag of roast spuds, pop them in the oven, wait some time, time can be used to get the gravy ready, (can explain how to make gravy too). remove from oven and put on plate, cover with loads of gravy.

Frozen roast spuds arent roast spuds..... nope, not on my watch.

Advertisement