Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'trampoline wars' FG Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I thought the story was meh, the songs are ****ing fantastic though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I thought the story was meh, the songs are ****ing fantastic though.

The beginning was so rushed, they should have given that part more room to breathe rather than running it through a musical montage.

Really liked the beginning, the horsesh1t with the Swedish Nightingale was stupid though. Totally out of line with his actions throughout the movie.

Exactly yeah! The whole storyline with yer one was so forced. There was no need for it at all.

Also in general PT Barnum was an all round cnut so it's ****ty that a movie about him is so successful. But god damn, those songs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Necro wrote: »
    The horsesh1t with the Swedish Nightingale was stupid though. Totally out of line with his actions throughout the movie.

Was that not the point tho? To show he wanted to be accepted by the higher social classes that he was willing to abandon his morale and what made him successful in the first place.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Loughc wrote: »
    Was that not the point tho? To show he wanted to be accepted by the higher social classes that he was willing to abandon his morale and what made him successful in the first place.

Oh I get the moral stuff, just the convoluted stuff with her that:
    Basically contradicts his entire opening love story
    is what annoys me.

On a side note, I nearly died en route to work there - travelling along the main road and a car and a van pull out from a side road, both narrowly avoiding an oncoming truck and into my lane. Thankfully saw it coming so was able to slow down to avoid any mishap.

Unreal idiocy on the roads these days though.

• Advertisement

is what annoys me.

On a side note, I nearly died en route to work there - travelling along the main road and a car and a van pull out from a side road, both narrowly avoiding an oncoming truck and into my lane. Thankfully saw it coming so was able to slow down to avoid any mishap.

It's things like this that make me wish I had a dashcam. Won't save me if I do get into a serious crash but for those crazy instances when you think 'no one will ever believe that I saw this person do something so stupid'. The amount of trust you have to have in other humans as a driver is so scary to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

I’m ok thanks Pter. Daughter flew in from Australia on Thursday night and is on her way back to the airport now. She’s back in June though for a scheduled trip.

OMG I thought you were about 30! you have grown up kids!
    is what annoys me.

That didn't happen with the songbird though, yes he toured with her, but there was no romance or anything. And he had 3 or 4 kids with his missus. They just changed up the story a bit for excitement purposes I guess.

I loved the film, the 8-year-old was obsessed with it until she discovered ABBA and Mamma Mia! she loves musicals

I LOVE musicals (Wicked is my fave) and ABBA but I hate Mamma Mia with a passion.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    It's things like this that make me wish I had a dashcam. Won't save me if I do get into a serious crash but for those crazy instances when you think 'no one will ever believe that I saw this person do something so stupid'. The amount of trust you have to have in other humans as a driver is so scary to me.

Yup, it's just gone on the Christmas wishing list tbh. Some absolute morons out there I see it every day and have to hear about it at work.

I’ve never seen mamma Mia either. Or the second Bridget Jones diary.

And flushy, you’ve seen my pics on FB so I’m taking that compliment ;) x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Yup, it's just gone on the Christmas wishing list tbh. Some absolute morons out there I see it every day and have to hear about it at work.

"you've to drive like you're the only person with two brain cells to rub together" is what my driving instructor used to say, didn't take long to see his point :D

Have you ever seen dashcam vids from Russia? they've some mad **** showing up

"you've to drive like you're the only person with two brain cells to rub together" is what my driving instructor used to say, didn't take long to see his point :D

Have you ever seen dashcam vids from Russia? they've some mad **** showing up

Haven't seen them but from my brief spells in Europe drivers are equally as mental there too. Spain in particular was absolutely nuts on the main roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Haven't seen them but from my brief spells in Europe drivers are equally as mental there too. Spain in particular was absolutely nuts on the main roads.

Lots more snow & ice in Russia.

On a good compilation, you'll easily have 20 wtf moments.

They drive on other side of road, so the left turns are fun or people getting so annoyed that they get out go to the boot and retrieve something, the what is usually another wtf moment in itself.

If nothing else, your Russian swear word vocabulary will get expanded.

On Thursday I went to see the Cardiologist privately as I have been experiencing an increased Heart rate since I got out of the hospital. I usually have a resting HR about 58-62 and it goes down to 48-52 when sleeping. Since the hospital stay it has been at least 20bpm higher at all times.

So, I go in, he says. "Oh you are the lady with the thing in her heart" Not a great start. He went on to draw a diagram to explain that an artery is missing, there is just a stump where it should be. A pretty major one. He said it was either blocked, had a tiny bit going through it so small it didn't show on CT or I was born with a defective heart. Manufacturing error basically.

The words on the report he sent were

Proximal total occlusion of a PDA artery at its origin.

Now, that isn't the scary thing. The scary thing is the fact I had a VSD which has closed over and I have developed an Aneurysm.

His words were "A prominent aneurysm of the membranous interventricular septum.

I am getting a 48h Halter monitor done from Thursday evening, then I have to get an echocardiogram done and the last thing is the MRI to asses the aneurysm.

For the "stump" they have said. If I did have an MI last Sept, then the damage could be done to that part of the heart beyond the stump and it will be dead basically. There is nothing to fix, just give medication.

If there is a small trickle of blood getting through, then they can try and fix it.

If I was born that way, well I have got lucky to get this far, so should be grand lol.

The aneurysm is the main worry in case something happens to it. The waiting time for a public Heart MRI is 5 years and he said I really couldn't wait that long and would most likely be dead. He is going to expedite the tests to see if we can get seen quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

My prayers are with you.

At least youre aware of the situation much more now and you can address the issue and manage it better.

Im sure it goes without saying but we are all rooting for you.

Happy Thursday folks. Or Necros Friday this week I guess.
    Shift work changes my Friday every week :(
    For example the next one will be Sunday week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I spent today thinking that it was Friday. It was not a fun time each time I realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

sullivlo wrote: »
    I spent today thinking that it was Friday. It was not a fun time each time I realised.

We have decided to have a no tv night and are now playing songs for the kids on Spotify. Currently listening to Jeff Wayne's The War of the World's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Anyone into video games and uses steam might like this freebie. A turn based game with elements of Werewolf.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/826600/I_am_not_a_Monster/

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Will yoink that later. Thanks Kolido.

Happy Fridyah everyone!

• Advertisement

Pter wrote: »
    Will yoink that later. Thanks Kolido.

Happy Fridyah everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I watched that for the first time this week off the back of ye talking about it here. Decent movie.

Pter wrote: »
    I watched that for the first time this week off the back of ye talking about it here. Decent movie.

Kids love it. The youngest loves the songs - the eldest loves the songs and the circus element.

I can't get the songs out of my head as it's on all the time at the moment :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

First week down in new job. No regrets about leaving college for life on the grindmill again. Just not sure this particular grindmill is for me. We shall see :(

quickbeam wrote: »
    First week down in new job. No regrets about leaving college for life on the grindmill again. Just not sure this particular grindmill is for me. We shall see :(

Hope things change and you like the grindmill!

Have a job interview on Tuesday for a job I REALLY want, this one is the one I have been waiting for, in the line of work I want to be in. It is...

Product Owner - Finance.

This would be the answer to all my prayers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Fingers crossed for ya MsFD!

Have a job interview on Tuesday for a job I REALLY want, this one is the one I have been waiting for, in the line of work I want to be in. It is...

Product Owner - Finance.

This would be the answer to all my prayers!

Best of luck Flushy, I have a promotion exam tomorrow morning too, so hopefully it's a good Tuesday for us both :D

Best of luck Flushy, I have a promotion exam tomorrow morning too, so hopefully it's a good Tuesday for us both :D

Hopefully it will be a fab Tuesday for us! Have a mock interview with a friend who is a recruiter this evening. To help

• Advertisement

Hopefully it will be a fab Tuesday for us! Have a mock interview with a friend who is a recruiter this evening. To help

I'm sure it will be fine :) I've got tomorrow off, work gave me a half day business leave but after some... 'negotiations' they agreed to let me have the full day :pac:

Advertisement