Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,340 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should ditch ads on RTE Player so that it works perfectly during the Corona Virus. When Adblocker worked for it the user experience was similar to BBC iPlayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

They should ditch ads on RTE Player so that it works perfectly during the Corona Virus. When Adblocker worked for it the user experience was similar to BBC iPlayer.
    That would be the sensible and logical thing to do in a time of crisis.
    Which is why RTE will not do it ............. unless they come under major external pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Overall the amount of clap trap coming from independent media & RTÉ is really irritating it’s as much if they think that they’ve being doing a good job over the last ten years.

It’s expensive to take an ad out in a local newspaper.

M

Kivaro wrote: »
    That would be the sensible and logical thing to do in a time of crisis.
    Which is why RTE will not do it ............. unless they come under major external pressure.

It's wasting a load of bandwidth too showing the ads and preventing people from skipping to the portions of the shows they actually want to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭garrettod

This was usually peddled out quite regularly, that "if we didn't pay the big money, the top 'talent' would be off"

I say call their bluff, tell Tubbers et all their fee's are being reduced to €200,000 per annum, max! (and are capped at that), and if the grass is greener somewhere else like England or the private TV sector, wish them the best of luck, and off they go.

RTÉ (and us by extension, as we pay for it) can't be held to ransom by a hypothetical situation that will most likely never happen.

Who in the fcuk is going to employ Joe Duffy, Miriam O'Callaghan, Ray D'Arcy, Ryan Tubridy or any of the other 'talent' in RTÉ and pay them more that €100,000 a year??

Why give them a limit of €200k, that's still way too much for what they do?

Otherwise, I agree with you and would actually go a step further and not renew any of their contacts - save RTE a fortune, while doing the majority of their viewers and listeners a big favour by getting rid of the lot of them!

They're isn't one person that you've named there, that couldn't be replaced by someone equally capable, if not better, for under €100k pa.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

garrettod wrote: »
    Why give them a limit of €200k, that's still way too much for what they do?

Otherwise, I agree with you and would actually go a step further and not renew any of their contacts - save RTE a fortune, while doing the majority of their viewers and listeners a big favour by getting rid of the lot of them!

They're isn't one person that you've named there, that couldn't be replaced by someone equally capable, if not better, for under €100k pa.

and yet, rte aren't replacing the high earners with all those people who can apparently meet the same criteria, bring in the same audience and advertising, who are as capable or more so, for under 100k.
    which suggests, it may not be so easy to find such individuals after all?
    i have no doubt, if rte could get individuals more capable then the current lot for under 100k, they would jump at the chance.
    there is plenty of talent, and some non-talent, across the broadcast industry, however no matter how good one may be in an individual's opinion, if they do not fit what the broadcaster is looking for, they won't get the gig, and that goes for any broadcaster public or private.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

and yet, rte aren't replacing the high earners with all those people who can apparently meet the same criteria, bring in the same audience and advertising, who are as capable or more so, for under 100k.
    i have no doubt, if rte could get individuals more capable then the current lot for under 100k, they would jump at the chance.
    there is plenty of talent, and some non-talent, across the broadcast industry, however no matter how good one may be in an individual's opinion, if they do not fit what the broadcaster is looking for, they won't get the gig, and that goes for any broadcaster public or private.

RTÉ aren’t known for nurturing new talent. Few programmes fewer Opertunities for different presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Well they must be saving a mint on the old Marian Finucane show.

Surely Ballsy is not getting anywhere near the massive wedge Maid Marian was on.?

Dee Fforbes has no chance of getting a fee increase until the obscene salaries of Duffy and Darcy and others are addressed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Suggests RTE haven’t the balls to get get their salaries down to a realistic level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Suggests RTE haven’t the balls to get get their salaries down to a realistic level.
    EOTR already said that they shouldn't .......... even as we are about to be hit by the biggest crisis in Ireland's history in recent times, which will result in untold deaths of our fellow citizens and many hundreds of thousands made unemployed. The salaries of the RTE elite and management is obscene.
    it's not the job of rte or any other staff to take pay cuts in solidarity with anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Plenty of talent in Ireland, they will never get near RTÉ as they are not part of crowd or relative

Just look at hardy bucks and other Irish entertainers over the last few years, RTÉ completely ignores them but continued to put the same useless f**k on the tv

Case in point, Doireann Garrihy, she was hired according to 2fm for online presence but on hiring had less than 20k followers....she is useless but like many before her is pushed and pushed in the hope at some stage she will be a success, look at Lottie for instance.....another useless person but she is pushed on anything to get RTÉ way, the most recent dancing crap was a pure fix, as I posted

Are you telling me of the 5 odd million people in Ireland and Irish overseas the best we can come up with is Doireann and Lottie? That’s some insult to the Irish people

EOTR already said that they shouldn't .......... even as we are about to be hit by the biggest crisis in Ireland's history in recent times, which will result in untold deaths of our fellow citizens and many hundreds of thousands made unemployed. The salaries of the RTE elite and management is obscene.

I wouldn’t pay any heed to EOTR Mr K.

We all know how it rolls,nobody can figure out logically how, for instance, Ray D’Arcy can garner €400k pa.

Nobody.......nobody at all.

Not possible.

Impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭garrettod

I think you may be missing an important point...

RTE don't really want to replace any of their old cronies.

Instead, they will continue to milk the broadcaster and by extension, the state, for as long as possible.

RTE's Dee Forbes tells us that RTE needs more money, while she gets paid significantly more than we pay our Taoiseach.... RTE is rotten from the top down.

Thanks,

G.

I wouldn’t pay any heed to EOTR Mr K.

We all know how it rolls,nobody can figure out logically how, for instance, Ray D’Arcy can garner €400k pa.

Nobody.......nobody at all.

Not possible.

Impossible.

D’Arcy, good on radio and has a following

Useless on tv, yet RTÉ hire him and stick him on tv, shock horror it’s a disaster, like seriously the whole of Ireland including D’Arcy would have been able to tell you that

I don’t blame him, why would he turn down the money

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The virus issue is very serious and as you say may kill many of our citizens and cause hardship for many more.

The RTE issue pales in comparison and will be dealt with eventually.

If it is decided that Government employee salaries should be cut at this difficult time it would be right that RTE salaries should be cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    D’Arcy, good on radio and has a following

Useless on tv, yet RTÉ hire him and stick him on tv, shock horror it’s a disaster, like seriously the whole of Ireland including D’Arcy would have been able to tell you that

I don’t blame him, why would he turn down the money

Have you listened to him lately on the radio?

fritzelly wrote: »

I have and while he is no Gay Byrne he is average to good in my opinion.

Try tuning in to some of the local stations if you want to assess him in light of what is available as an alternative.

Have a listen to some of the comparable programmes on BBC regional channels.

His show is a passable magazine programme designed to fill the gap between two very popular shows Liveline and Drivetime. Nothing more nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

elperello wrote: »
    I have and while he is no Gay Byrne he is average to good in my opinion.

Try tuning in to some of the local stations if you want to assess him in light of what is available as an alternative.

Have a listen to some of the comparable programmes on BBC regional channels.

His show is a passable magazine programme designed to fill the gap between two very popular shows Liveline and Drivetime. Nothing more nothing less.

Thats the whole point.....why is a guy presenting a "passable magazine programme" being paid a wedge north of half a million eurons ??.

:confused:

or alternatively, as much as some may not like it, the salaries are at a realistic level.
    i'm not jumping for joy over some of the salaries myself, however ultimately the broadcaster thinks differently, that what they do pay is necessary to get individuals who fit whatever they are looking for in a broadcaster.
    Plenty of talent in Ireland, they will never get near RTÉ as they are not part of crowd or relative

Just look at hardy bucks and other Irish entertainers over the last few years, RTÉ completely ignores them but continued to put the same useless f**k on the tv

Case in point, Doireann Garrihy, she was hired according to 2fm for online presence but on hiring had less than 20k followers....she is useless but like many before her is pushed and pushed in the hope at some stage she will be a success, look at Lottie for instance.....another useless person but she is pushed on anything to get RTÉ way, the most recent dancing crap was a pure fix, as I posted

Are you telling me of the 5 odd million people in Ireland and Irish overseas the best we can come up with is Doireann and Lottie? That’s some insult to the Irish people

pushing individuals who are talentless in mine and other's view seems to be a bit of away with elements of the broadcast industry, unfortunately.
    certainly lottie is not the best we can get, far from it, and eventually rte will have to replace her, however, at the moment they feel she fits what they are looking for.
    rte aren't the only ones guilty of employing duds, there are certainly a few broadcasters considered the big thing who i don't rate, on other broadcasters.
    you may say dancing with the stars was a fix for lottie to win, and nothing is impossible, however it could just as easily be the case, as unpalletable to some, that the majority of those who voted, actually voted for her to win.
    if you can show it was a fix, by all means send in a complaint to the BAI, who presumably would be the ones who would deal with that issue, because fixing a program in favour of someone is certainly something that should not be tolerated and should be taken seriously and dealt with accordingly, it is unfair on the other contestants and those who voted for them in good faith.

Thats the whole point.....why is a guy presenting a "passable magazine programme" being paid a wedge north of half a million eurons ??.

:confused:

That's above my pay grade to explain.

I never ran a radio station. I don't know what the economics are.

It doesn't worry me in the least what 5 or 6 people earn because in the greater scheme of things it doesn't matter.

If they came into RTE and paid to work it wouldn't matter.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    That's above my pay grade to explain.

I never ran a radio station. I don't know what the economics are.

It doesn't worry me in the least what 5 or 6 people earn because in the greater scheme of things it doesn't matter.

If they came into RTE and paid to work it wouldn't matter.

Lot more than 5 or 6 getting big wedges el.

Regretfully it does matter to some folks who see their money being squandered and management not being held to account.

fritzelly wrote: »

No, I did when on today Fm and he was good...no idea when or what station he is on now

pushing individuals who are talentless in mine and other's view seems to be a bit of away with elements of the broadcast industry, unfortunately.
    certainly lottie is not the best we can get, far from it, and eventually rte will have to replace her, however, at the moment they feel she fits what they are looking for.
    rte aren't the only ones guilty of employing duds, there are certainly a few broadcasters considered the big thing who i don't rate, on other broadcasters.
    you may say dancing with the stars was a fix for lottie to win, and nothing is impossible, however it could just as easily be the case, as unpalletable to some, that the majority of those who voted, actually voted for her to win.
    if you can show it was a fix, by all means send in a complaint to the BAI, who presumably would be the ones who would deal with that issue, because fixing a program in favour of someone is certainly something that should not be tolerated and should be taken seriously and dealt with accordingly, it is unfair on the other contestants and those who voted for them in good faith.

I already posted this

Going by my wife she was in the bottom a few weeks as nobody voted for her and got kept in by the judges not the public, then win the whole lot when people who never got close to bottom lost

I didn’t want it, with lockdown I watched final and said from the min it started She would win as RTÉ wanted it

Funny I wasn’t wrong...in terms of reporting, might as well pee into the wind with cream trouser on :-)

I already posted this

Going by my wife she was in the bottom a few weeks as nobody voted for her and got kept in by the judges not the public, then win the whole lot when people who never got close to bottom lost

I didn’t want it, with lockdown I watched final and said from the min it started She would win as RTÉ wanted it

Funny I wasn’t wrong...in terms of reporting, might as well pee into the wind with cream trouser on :-)

i can certainly see how this would raise questions, however, sometimes judges do go with contestants who aren't as good as other contestants, even contestants who are crap have been chosen a very odd time, the x factor when i watched it years ago, and the voice when i watched it years ago would be examples where i have saw this happen, but i can't remember exact details and names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It's basically time for Dee babes to **** off. She's in there 4 years and has taken the guts of €1.5m in salaries and benefits.

How much more time does she want. She is like a rabbit in the headlights and it seems her strategy now is to sit at home with a bag of voodoo dolls.

In fact, she is making Carolan Lennon (CEO of what is arguably the worst company in Ireland- Eir) look good.

Do your job Dee or get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

No, I did when on today Fm and he was good...no idea when or what station he is on now

I've heard that (never listened to him on that) but he is woeful now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    It's basically time for Dee babes to **** off. She's in there 4 years and has taken the guts of €1.5m in salaries and benefits.

How much more time does she want. She is like a rabbit in the headlights and it seems her strategy now is to sit at home with a bag of voodoo dolls.

In fact, she is making Carolan Lennon (CEO of what is arguably the worst company in Ireland- Eir) look good.

One of the benefits of the Covid-19 shutdown is it's highlighting who's genuinely important, and who's just a gangrenous limb that has to be hacked off.

M

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »

But she's a lady, so it's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

The license fee is legal extortion.

I don't have a television because I refuse to give into extortion.

Straight away during the corona crisis I'm cut off from my moral right to access potentially life saving information from another source because of the RTE extortionist cartel .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The license fee is legal extortion.

I don't have a television because I refuse to give into extortion.

Straight away during the corona crisis I'm cut off from my moral right to access potentially life saving information from another source because of the RTE extortionist cartel .

Talk to your GP. You'll get more information, with less 'DOOM!!!' subtext. They'll explain to you why the virus spread so rapidly in China (Rates of smoking in China is extremely high. Like 52 percent of males smoke, and 60% of male doctor's smoke-leading to lung issues that allowed Covid-19 to thrive. Italy is much the same story, where about 25 percent of the population smoke, with the added issue of a very high elderly population).

We're getting the news of 'infected' people-we're getting news of the deaths-we're not getting news of recoveries.

Advertisement