Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Why in the absolute FCUK is anyone in there getting a car or mileage allowance????

99.99% of people who have jobs have to find their own way to their place of work. For some, they might have a car parking space available to them so can drive to/from work. For others, they have to pay for parking, or else use public transport. Why are 70 managers in RTE getting topped up, just to get to their place of work!! Its Fcuking Disgraceful carry on.

I bet they could all work from home, RTÉ saves on the car allowance, and the fcukers wouldn't even be missed!

this situation with RTE is obscene, they are taking the piss like its 2006! It is some absolute racket! the problem with propping up all of this is, its the struggling people paying for it. there clowns live on another planet! There is no issue with just keeping a few core channels and content and telling it to wash its own face. Where are these employees going to head? to the bbc? LOL!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Where are these employees going to head? to the bbc? LOL!

This was usually peddled out quite regularly, that "if we didn't pay the big money, the top 'talent' would be off"

I say call their bluff, tell Tubbers et all their fee's are being reduced to €200,000 per annum, max! (and are capped at that), and if the grass is greener somewhere else like England or the private TV sector, wish them the best of luck, and off they go.

RTÉ (and us by extension, as we pay for it) can't be held to ransom by a hypothetical situation that will most likely never happen.

Who in the fcuk is going to employ Joe Duffy, Miriam O'Callaghan, Ray D'Arcy, Ryan Tubridy or any of the other 'talent' in RTÉ and pay them more that €100,000 a year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Why are 70 managers in RTE ......
    Part of the problem right there.

Wonder how many of these clueless managers were involved with the disastrous RTE Player implementation? And it is still not fixed; notwithstanding the horrendous reviews that the app has received publicly. Most stakeholders would be thoroughly embarrassed by this, but not RTE.

Ireland is going to be in financial dire straits after this worldwide pandemic. We will be told by government and RTE to tighten our belts, and everything that money is being spent on now, will have to be paid back later ......... and for many years to come. And it will be the same people (workers) footing the bill.
    We just cannot afford the ostentatious waste at RTE for any longer; irrespective of the government back-scratching, we need to hear about genuine changes being implemented by them now, or else the whole board and Dee Forbes should be fired immediately for incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,168 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is it just me or does there seem to be a ramping up of the tv licence adverts on tv and radio?

Every other institution is looking at ways of making it easier for those with reduced incomes to survive, rte still trying to scare you with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

its our own faults, absolute idiots. not fight in us, just dont pay it, end of. What are they going to do now? clog the courts with those not paying? or put them in prison? just dont pay it...

the same with the massive bailout of the FAI...

this article from September 2019! Are those figures for real? am I living on planet earth?!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/how-much-money-has-rt%C3%A9-got-and-how-does-it-spend-it-1.4027910

This gave RTÉ total revenue of €339.1 million last year. Its total operating costs, however, were €339.8 million, and once a depreciation and amortisation charge and other factors were taken into account, it made a loss of €13 million.

Service by service
    The biggest cost centre for RTÉ is television, and within this RTÉ One. The flagship channel cost €140.2 million to run last year, its annual report shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

its our own faults, absolute idiots. not fight in us, just dont pay it, end of. What are they going to do now? clog the courts with those not paying? or put them in prison? just dont pay it...

the same with the massive bailout of the FAI...

this article from September 2019! Are those figures for real? am I living on planet earth?!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/how-much-money-has-rt%C3%A9-got-and-how-does-it-spend-it-1.4027910

This gave RTÉ total revenue of €339.1 million last year. Its total operating costs, however, were €339.8 million, and once a depreciation and amortisation charge and other factors were taken into account, it made a loss of €13 million.

Service by service
    The biggest cost centre for RTÉ is television, and within this RTÉ One. The flagship channel cost €140.2 million to run last year, its annual report shows.

Don’t forget Lottie Ryan is due a massive raise and her own show now after her brave and courageous victory in Dancing With The Staff.....

Don’t forget Lottie Ryan is due a massive raise and her own show now after he brave and courageous victory in Dancing With The Staff.....
    The irony is that RTE sees nothing wrong with this.
    It is their opportunity to lucratively help one of their own .......... at our expense.

Even Kim Jong-un would be embarrassed by these shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,491 ✭✭✭✭elperello

kravmaga wrote: »

Thanks for that.
    It was on Wednesday.
    I saw it reported since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

Any chance of the Sports Dept. going on short time I wonder?
    No live sport until June at the earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Fair City-Eastenders-The Simpsons and Home and away seem to be on non stop on one of the RTE channels , St Patricks day hardly had any Irish themed programmes on .
    TnaG on a shoestring budget compared to RTE has a huge amount of local programmes of interest and has a load of GAA matchs-laochra gael etc and plenty of rugby. I wish i could give my TV license money to TnaG alone who arent paying out oligarch wages to South Dublin bigheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Kivaro wrote: »
    The irony is that RTE sees nothing wrong with this.
    It is their opportunity to lucratively help one of their own .......... at our expense.

Even Kim Jong-un would be embarrassed by these shenanigans.

Dancing with the stars is a joke, along with that crap where they send two staff off on a trip, high road low road, what else, oh yeah, the Cathrine fluvio or whatever her name is, jet her around the world cooking pasta ffs.

The to top it off we have the news, prime time, Claire Byrne piping to the tune of the government of the day. It’s so bad.

Oh yeah let’s not forget Maura and Dathi, the emergency legislation for the aul corona virus should have banned that because we will all be hanging from the rafters long before the virus gets us...

Remember when dancing with the stars thought a “celebrity’s” brother was a “star”...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Service by service

What is even worse is the vast majority of its commerical income comes from TV yet it didn't cut funding to radio! 30million from RTÉ2 alone.

Also in relation to expenses The current DG got a 50,000 euro moving fee, from what I gather while she did move from London, her home was in Cork. So her pay cut is pretty much paying that back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭political analyst

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Fair City-Eastenders-The Simpsons and Home and away seem to be on non stop on one of the RTE channels , St Patricks day hardly had any Irish themed programmes on .
    TnaG on a shoestring budget compared to RTE has a huge amount of local programmes of interest and has a load of GAA matchs-laochra gael etc and plenty of rugby. I wish i could give my TV license money to TnaG alone who arent paying out oligarch wages to South Dublin bigheads.

Fair City filming has been suspended and, as of now, is on only twice a week. The BBC is doing the same with EastEnders.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

LuasSimon wrote: »

tg4 is a single channel, where as rte is a multi-channel broadcaster with multiple channels across radio and tv.
    an operation with 1 channel is obviously going to be way way less costly to run compared to a multi-channel operation the size of rte.
    and rte wouldn't cost anything near the bbc for example, which is an even bigger operation again.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I think when all this is over there will be a narrative pushed and fed to the people of how the old media such as RTE "played a blinder" and saved the country in its darkest days hence how it is imperative to keep our state media in the manner in which it has become accustomed to lest da big bad social media pollute our minds with their fake news and the like

tg4 is a single channel, where as rte is a multi-channel broadcaster with multiple channels across radio and tv.
    an operation with 1 channel is obviously going to be way way less costly to run compared to a multi-channel operation the size of rte.
    and rte wouldn't cost anything near the bbc for example, which is an even bigger operation again.

Still your talking 2 to 3 times the amount to run RTÉ2 as it is does TG4, both have similar schedules in terms of children’s (TG4 have to dub cartoons RTÉ2 does not).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Elmo wrote: »
    Still your talking 2 to 3 times the amount to run RTÉ2 as it is does TG4, both have similar schedules in terms of children’s (TG4 have to dub cartoons RTÉ2 does not).

yes but then again tg4 probably doesn't buy programming which may be as costly as what rte buys.
    i think every station both radio and tv in the country will probably have different costs outside their main core costs.
    this is why people comparing tg4 to rte as a whole doesn't work for me, comparing it to a specific channel is fair enough.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is it just me or does there seem to be a ramping up of the tv licence adverts on tv and radio?

Every other institution is looking at ways of making it easier for those with reduced incomes to survive, rte still trying to scare you with these.

Have you noticed they're doing the 'if you wish to live in IReland, and own a television, you are required to get a TV license'...

Maybe it's just me, but it's got sinister overtones to it... like, imagine if you were someone who moved to IReland from a foreign country. You'd hear that and be scared you'd be deported for not having one.

Maybe it's just me, but it's got sinister overtones to it... like, imagine if you were someone who moved to IReland from a foreign country. You'd hear that and be scared you'd be deported for not having one.

I can assure you that is far from the reality.
    RTE pushes open borders not only for the liberal optics, but as a major source of revenue for themselves; especially when it comes to non-EU migration.
    They know when economic migrants arrive on our shores (passing through other safe European countries) as asylum seekers from countries in Africa, the Indian sub-continent, and the Middle East, that the majority of these migrants will need public money for support for a number of years. Part of the social welfare benefits that these migrants receive is a television license for each household paid by the State ................... paid for by the Irish worker. It is guaranteed money for RTE.

The more destitute migrants arriving in Ireland equates to more money in the RTE coffers.

• Advertisement

yes but then again tg4 probably doesn't buy programming which may be as costly as what rte buys.
    i think every station both radio and tv in the country will probably have different costs outside their main core costs.
    this is why people comparing tg4 to rte as a whole doesn't work for me, comparing it to a specific channel is fair enough.

So firstly there are issues at TG4. I am not putting them on a pedestal. There are many things that TG4 have done well and then there are other programmes that they have completely messed up and I don't think they are doing as well as they have done in the past. However TG4 at the very least make more TV than RTÉ2 (outside of Sport and even then TG4 with their budget have been fairly successfully with sporting rights).

With that out of the way I am going to go back to RTÉ and take your points on them on board in relation to TG4.

1. Buying in programming costs much less than to make programming. TG4 would not be in a position to spend 10m - 12m on imports, as RTÉ do for RTÉ2. Overall RTÉ spend 25m on imports and this has never been cut.

2. While, I think RTÉ spend too much on imports, I disagree with Virgin Media's complaint that they are being anti-competitive in this area. This is due to the fact that TG4 and Channel 6 were both able to buy in that market. Largely Virgin Media (and TV3 before them) stayed away from the shows RTÉ bought in, relying initially on a deal with Fireworks (which was also owned by CanWest) and then a deal with Granada Studios (when Granada took a share in TV3 from 2001) and now large just with ITV.

3. You are right to suggest that you shouldn't compare one service with another, however outside of sport there is very little else produced by RTÉ2. Almost all children's programming are imports, none of which have to be re-dub into Irish. RTÉ have largely forgotten children and there is no excuse for this. RTÉ should support Children's content, it cut and cut and cut while at the same time increasing licence fee funding to 2FM and continuing to spend 25m on imports. That's not to say that TG4 have done much better in commissioning children's programming.

4. In comparison to RTÉ2 TG4 provide a lot more home produced content. (Again outside of sport). And while RTÉ have upped there support to the RTÉ Player those "exclusive" shows are 10 times worst then shows that had been previously been produced for RTÉ2, which would naturally end up on the Player.

5. Just take a look at what both RTÉ2 and TG4 provide. From 7am to 4:30 on RTÉ2 children's content, from 7am to 12pm and then from 2pm to 6pm children's content on TG4, both services have 3hours of non-Irish non-children's imports during the day. From 7pm to 11pm imports on RTÉ2, with TG4 providing a mix of both, and both cover sport at the weekend. Yes both channels will have different views on content, as they should, as they serve different audiences. Spend on Irish programming is massively down on RTÉ2, something TG4 could never allow happen due to its remit, which then leads to the question what exactly is RTÉ2's remit in RTÉ?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

I think when all this is over there will be a narrative pushed and fed to the people of how the old media such as RTE "played a blinder" and saved the country in its darkest days hence how it is imperative to keep our state media in the manner in which it has become accustomed to lest da big bad social media pollute our minds with their fake news and the like

Indeed. My hands would be filthy disease ridden things now were it not for Joe Duffy. #wortheverycent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I saw a bit of a promo for another new series for Sundays.

Apparently it's about "Celebs" going back to the house they were raised in. I think Brendan Courtney has the gig (for a change)

Anne Doyle is one of the celebs.

W.T.A.F.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Indeed. My hands would be filthy disease ridden things now were it not for Joe Duffy. #wortheverycent

#washyerhands... an yer mouth out with soap while yer at it that man has done the state some service #Duffyforpresident

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

#washyerhands... an yer mouth out with soap while yer at it that man has done the state some service #Duffyforpresident

:D:D Good one;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,491 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Kivaro wrote: »
    I can assure you that is far from the reality.
    RTE pushes open borders not only for the liberal optics, but as a major source of revenue for themselves; especially when it comes to non-EU migration.
    They know when economic migrants arrive on our shores (passing through other safe European countries) as asylum seekers from countries in Africa, the Indian sub-continent, and the Middle East, that the majority of these migrants will need public money for support for a number of years. Part of the social welfare benefits that these migrants receive is a television license for each household paid by the State ................... paid for by the Irish worker. It is guaranteed money for RTE.

The more destitute migrants arriving in Ireland equates to more money in the RTE coffers.

Seriously? :)

Great prospects for you over in Conspiracy Theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    I saw a bit of a promo for another new series for Sundays.

Apparently it's about "Celebs" going back to the house they were raised in. I think Brendan Courtney has the gig (for a change)

Anne Doyle is one of the celebs.

W.T.A.F.

Knowing RTE, they'll be buying a house for Anne and all the other 'celebs'...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Knowing RTE, they'll be buying a house for Anne and all the other 'celebs'...

To be "done up" by Dermot Bannon with Diarmud Gavin doing the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 19,144 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

sligojoek wrote: »
    To be "done up" by Dermot Bannon with Diarmud Gavin doing the garden

Touch of sourness dhhrifting into this platform recently.

Uhmmmmm....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,563 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Remember when dancing with the stars thought a “celebrity’s” brother was a “star”...

Or sister, lol.

Advertisement