Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

buffalo wrote: »
    Not sure if it'll start at the right point, but go to 33:36 if not:

https://twitter.com/phlaimeaux/status/1350107324300599301

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

dinneenp wrote: »
    Cyclists caught in Galway among first on-the-spot fines for breaking travel limits

Two cyclists from outside of the county stopped by Gardaí near Carrick, Galway were among the first people to receive on the spot fines for breaking the 5km travel limit.

Gardaí received the power on Monday to issues on the spot fines of €100 for breaking the 5km limit by way of fixed charged penalty notice.The two cyclists caught at Carrick, who were not from the same household, were 19km from where they lived outside of Galway.

They claimed the “reasonable excuse” of getting exercise for being outside the 5km limit, but this is not allowed, and fines were issued.

I'm not sure, maybe you're posting this for information, but I sincerely hope that people are not going to cheerlead this crap.

Pub down the road from me traded all December without masks or menus. We have a govt who, literally, have waited until Belmullet has the highest incidence of Covid 19 in the entire world to require people to take a test before entering our country. So the average person now visiting Ireland represents less of a risk than the average Irish person walking down the street.

And we are criminalising two lads for cycling 20k from their houses?

I really really hope people on this forum do not support this.

Not encouraging the breach of public health guidance is one thing, that's forum policy, that's fine. But I really hope people do not take pleasure at hearing this or endorse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

I do get where you're coming from, when you see and hear evidence of some of the ridiculous gatherings that occurred, its harsh fining 2 lads out on a bike. But in fairness don't know anyone pairing up for spins now. It was also noted they were side by side and no face masks. I'm using a snoot on all of my spins these days and definitely solo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's also entirely possible to be annoyed with the government's handling of it *and* people taking the mick out on their bikes, and not find yourself in some logic vacuum.

True but a little upsetting that these are the lads who get convictions on their record. Particularly in circumstances where there is no scientific evidence that cycling, like any other outside activity, is in any way dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

a148pro wrote: »
    True but a little upsetting that these are the lads who get convictions on their record. Particularly in circumstances where there is no scientific evidence that cycling, like any other outside activity, is in any way dangerous.

I'm pretty sure, that if these lads pay the fine, that there will be no criminal conviction recorded on their record.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You've already had a go at this, and you've already had it explained.

Limit everyone, or noone, enforce behavioural change.

We have tried to let people at it, and it hasn't worked because people are selfish and/or stupid.

If you're one of those going outside of your area with any regularity for no good reason then you're part of the problem, whether you like to believe it or not

It's not remotely difficult to understand.

It's not remotely upsetting either. They're new powers. They knew what they were at and they got caught out. Several people here have had occasion been stopped by Gardai and been waved on. I think some are worried at being out of pocket and that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

30 houses on my street, 5 of them are now covid positive, none from each other either. Sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭cletus

30 houses on my street, 5 of them are now covid positive, none from each other either. Sigh

Do they mark them like plague houses?

539584.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I might later, might as well knock a bit of craic out of it.

In all seriousness its a close knit street and everybody being up front and helping each other out. Ya can't bate the dub community spirit

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure, that if these lads pay the fine, that there will be no criminal conviction recorded on their record.
    are there any cases where you can end up with a criminal record based on an offence dealt with, with an on the spot fine?
    i have always assumed that a criminal conviction can only be decided in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

are there any cases where you can end up with a criminal record based on an offence dealt with, with an on the spot fine?
    i have always assumed that a criminal conviction can only be decided in court.

No, I don't think so, not in my experience anyway, but, my experience is well past it's sell by date.
    Penalty points, for driving offences, are a separate matter.

I think it's basically like penalty points. I'm not actually sure if they're a conviction if you pay them prior to court, I would have thought they were. They're certainly on your record but that may be because of the penalty point system.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    You've already had a go at this, and you've already had it explained.

Limit everyone, or noone, enforce behavioural change.

We have tried to let people at it, and it hasn't worked because people are selfish and/or stupid.

If you're one of those going outside of your area with any regularity for no good reason then you're part of the problem, whether you like to believe it or not

It's not remotely difficult to understand.

It's not remotely upsetting either. They're new powers. They knew what they were at and they got caught out. Several people here have had occasion been stopped by Gardai and been waved on. I think some are worried at being out of pocket and that's it

The behavioral change we need to enforce is people not social distancing, not people not going outside.

We have let people at it and it hasn't worked because people were stupid or selfish - well it isn't people exercising outdoors who stopped it working. It is people meeting indoors, and our idiot government allowing people to travel from abroad, to meet people indoors.

Criminalize people doing things which are likely to lead to a spread of the virus - IE, meeting indoors. Not people doing things we take for granted in a civil society, are good if not essential for mental health, and have no reasonable risk of spreading the virus.

You are right though - the rule is there for stupid people who cannot actually go about their business without engaging in risky behaviour. So if they feel under pressure to not go beyond 5k they simply won't leave the house at all. That, as I understand it, is actually the reason for the rule.

So don't criminalize two lads going for a cycle, or, for that matter, anyone behaving in a non dangerous fashion.

Also I think you are still allowed meet one person outdoors for exercise?

I think it's basically like penalty points. I'm not actually sure if they're a conviction if you pay them prior to court, I would have thought they were. They're certainly on your record but that may be because of the penalty point system.

The behavioral change we need to enforce is people not social distancing, not people not going outside.

We have let people at it and it hasn't worked because people were stupid or selfish - well it isn't people exercising outdoors who stopped it working. It is people meeting indoors, and our idiot government allowing people to travel from abroad, to meet people indoors.

Criminalize people doing things which are likely to lead to a spread of the virus - IE, meeting indoors. Not people doing things we take for granted in a civil society, are good if not essential for mental health, and have no reasonable risk of spreading the virus.

You are right though - the rule is there for stupid people who cannot actually go about their business without engaging in risky behaviour. So if they feel under pressure to not go beyond 5k they simply won't leave the house at all. That, as I understand it, is actually the reason for the rule.

So don't criminalize two lads going for a cycle, or, for that matter, anyone behaving in a non dangerous fashion.

Also I think you are still allowed meet one person outdoors for exercise?

Well these 2 lads are obviously fairly stupid if they went on a cycle 20km outside their limit when it's been hammered home fairly clearly so maybe they do deserve it.

I did 22km this morning and came nowhere near breeching the 5km rule. I don't like the limitation on the route I ride as it gets boring but these lads? No sympathy, 5 out and 5 back thats 10km off the bat without even thinking about a route they were 19km from home so at a minimum that would be doing a 38km spin so entirely possible with a bit of planning to stay within the rules with some leeway to go outside and come back in as roads are not going to allow you to do a perfect circle around your house.

I was stopped once during the last lock down by passing Gardaí, asked where I was going and had come from, raised an eyebrow and questioned if that was within my 5km and explained I'd mapped it out to make sure I knew where the limit was and that I had been out of it briefly so that I could make a left turn back in 7-800m later as I wanted to ride a loop as opposed to turning back on myself. Asked the Garda if she'd like to see my phone as I'd strava running and she declined and wished me a safe journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Never even occured to me to be looking for Wales when Im up there tbh, mad pic:

https://twitter.com/Sam_Greenwood_/status/1349438539616940033

I look every time but don't think i've ever seen it. Think i've seen isle of man once.

The question isn't can you engineer some kind of acceptable route within 5k.

The question is will limiting cyclists to 5k from their house have any effect whatsoever on the prevalence of the virus.

The only answer to that question is no.

In which case why in God's name are we doing it? And why are we criminalizing lads for breaching it?

It's like some horrible religious orthodoxy. It is because it is.

Photographer was up in djouce a few days before , so he's another gob****e imo, great photo nonetheless

When talking about the amount of gears a bike has, when did we move from referencing all the gears on the bike, to just referencing the sprockets on the rear wheel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

cletus wrote: »
    When talking about the amount of gears a bike has, when did we move from referencing all the gears on the bike, to just referencing the sprockets on the rear wheel?

No one wants to admit having a tripple.

Raam wrote: »
    No one wants to admit having a tripple.

There's another thing, why did trippples fall out of fashion

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The question isn't can you engineer some kind of acceptable route within 5k.

The question is will limiting cyclists to 5k from their house have any effect whatsoever on the prevalence of the virus.

The only answer to that question is no.

In which case why in God's name are we doing it? And why are we criminalizing lads for breaching it?

It's like some horrible religious orthodoxy. It is because it is.

Quite simple, because if we make an exemption for cyclists, we will have to make them for everyone, in which case, people will start taking the piss. If you let cyclists away with it, then the same lads will hop in there car and travel around, go to different shops, visit different people. There is no perfect plan in a pandemic and people seem to struggle with that idea. There is a half assed good plan and surprisingly, that may actually be better as everyone can understand it and its easy to enforce. You let them do what they want and you will have what was in my local town after they lifted the limits a bit last time and the sea front swamped with visitors. Yes transmission is lower in the outdoors, yes it is less risky, but between the more transmissible variants, the fact that even in the outdoors, if crowds are large enough with a high enough positivity rate, it will transmit. Its not a case of whether they were a risk or not, its a case of every time you move the line or make an exemption, you pretty much admit that you have accepted you aren't going to enforce the rules.

Aside from this, the fact that they approached the checkpoint together, presumably from different households, and somehow couldn't either turn about or muster enough common sense to apologise and turnaround. It's the equivalent of a stupidity tax.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Triples are awesome and you sill only realise that as they pass you out with ease on a decent uphill

I put a triple onto my newest bike.

It's ultegras last triple and is wasted on my touring bike as it's not really suited for that, but a 52-11 top gear and and a 30-32 bottom is rather nice to have

Yeah triple on my beater here, love that lazy left hand shifting :pac:

We're getting off topic here. What about the important question, why did we change how we refer to the gears on a bike

We're getting off topic here. What about the important question, why did we change how we refer to the gears on a bike

Bike manufacturers looking to sell the latest tech, the pro peloton, 2 being lighter than 3, fewer overlapping gears. Take your pick. The bigger scandal is that you can get a hybrid/mtb with hydraulic discs right now for 600-700 ok ****e tektro brakes but you'll pay twice that at least for a road bike with hydraulic discs! and forget it if you are looking at Claris or Sora they just don't exist with hydraulics!!!!

Bike manufacturers looking to sell the latest tech, the pro peloton, 2 being lighter than 3, fewer overlapping gears. Take your pick. The bigger scandal is that you can get a hybrid/mtb with hydraulic discs right now for 600-700 ok ****e tektro brakes but you'll pay twice that at least for a road bike with hydraulic discs! and forget it if you are looking at Claris or Sora they just don't exist with hydraulics!!!!

Ok, but I remember "10 speed racers", my old Raleigh Scorpion had 12 speeds, and one of my mates had an 18 speed, and I distinctly remember reference to 21 speed.

Then all of a sudden it was 9 speed, 10 speed, 2x etc.

Why the change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ok, but I remember "10 speed racers", my old Raleigh Scorpion had 12 speeds, and one of my mates had an 18 speed, and I distinctly remember reference to 21 speed.

Then all of a sudden it was 9 speed, 10 speed, 2x etc.

Why the change
    I've often wondered that too. When I was a youngster, you either had a 5 speed or a 10 speed (10 speed indicating that you had two rings up front).

I still see MTB's being referred to by the actual number of gears all the same.

Advertisement