Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a148pro wrote: »
    I look every time but don't think i've ever seen it. Think i've seen isle of man once.
    Don't think I've ever seen it. It's way further north than people realise, east of Belfast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I've often wondered that too. When I was a youngster, you either had a 5 speed or a 10 speed (10 speed indicating that you had two rings up front).

I still see MTB's being referred to by the actual number of gears all the same.

I had presumed its a fact that as we increased the numbers at the back and decreased at the front, you get an overlap things might not be what they appear on paper with old gearing systems but when I take a second to think about it, it is both uncommon and unlikely to have that happen. The few examples I can think of are all very unlikely.
    10speed = 2x5 or 1x10
    12 speed = 2x6 or 1x12
    18speed = 3x6 or 2x9
    This led to the most boring of morning coffee thoughts, too realise it is just marketing. 12x, 11x etc simply roll off the tongue nicer than 22speed or 24 speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cletus wrote: »
    There's another thing, why did trippples fall out of fashion

because modern gearing systems allow for a greater range. with bigger large sprocket on the wheel getting bigger.
    my new double has a greater range than my old triple.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

There's another thing, why did trippples fall out of fashion

My old road bike has a Campag Veloce triple groupset. Main issue was that keeping the front mech properly adjusted could be a bit of a pain. Gear range wasn't that wide, 54/44/30 up front and 13/28 rear, my current compact Ultegra setup has a lower gear at 34/34. I do find the 44 middle ring brilliant hilly touring though.

I was out for a few of the introduction to audax spins a couple of years back and most of the bike were triples, still seems a popular option for longer distances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a 2003 stumpjumper which i think can manage 24-32, which is unusable on the flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭cletus

I understand the death of the triple (front derailleurs are bastårds).

I still don't understand the change in numbering the gears on a bike

in a way, saying 'i've 22 gears' is less informative than saying 'i'm running 11 speed to a double' because a) you shouldn't be using some of those 22 gears for fear of cross chaining, and b) many of the gears will be duplicates or near duplicates.
    on a standard 11 speed with a double chainring, tradition says you should only use 14 or 16 of those gears, and maybe 3 or four you can use are ratios accessible in different ways.

lest anyone be interested; 'a focus on transport in particular':

https://twitter.com/DublinInquirer/status/1350419961848754176

in a way, saying 'i've 22 gears' is less informative than saying 'i'm running 11 speed to a double' because a) you shouldn't be using some of those 22 gears for fear of cross chaining, and b) many of the gears will be duplicates or near duplicates.
    on a standard 11 speed with a double chainring, tradition says you should only use 14 or 16 of those gears, and maybe 3 or four you can use are ratios accessible in different ways.

Stop presenting facts

I drunkenly asked this question last night, and as a result I require, ridiculous, or at least ill thought out, answers

Stop presenting facts

I drunkenly asked this question last night, and as a result I require, ridiculous, or at least ill thought out, answers

Back when I was a kid, I think the number of gears thing was basically a píssing contest. My old hybrid had three gears, my friend's road bike had 12! I mean, who even knew what to do with that many gears? 4 or 5 maybe, but 12 was clearly just showing off. Even the amp in Spinal Tap only went up to 11 :pac:

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    Back when I was a kid, I think the number of gears thing was basically a píssing contest. My old hybrid had three gears, my friend's road bike had 12! I mean, who even knew what to do with that many gears? 4 or 5 maybe, but 12 was clearly just showing off. Even the amp in Spinal Tap only went up to 11 :pac:

I had 12 on my Raleigh Scorpion. It stayed in the hardest gear all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

My bikes as a kid were BMX, 6 speed, 18 speed (3x6) and then 21 (3×7)

I was terribly confused when I resumed cycling and was told the bike i ordered was a 9speed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,132 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Stop presenting facts

Years ago, due to a change in Japanese labour laws Shimano had to split groupset development into separate teams. Internal competition between the crankset team and the cassette team was fierce.

The fundamental difference between the teams was how a groupset should be named. Team Crankset were traditionalists and fans of the multiplier x multiplicand system. Conversely, Team Cassette were fly-by-night renegades who believed that the sum of sprockets should be how groupsets are named.

This went on for a number of years until management eventually stepped in to try and relieve tensions once and for all. In a bitter winner-takes-all battle, Team Cassette closely beat Team Crankset in a Christmas pub quiz. Not only did they lose the groupset naming rights, the raw materials used to make triples was diverted to Team Cassette so they could add more sprockets.

Not wanting to emulate such strong internal divisions, SRAM and Campagnolo quickly followed Shimano naming conventions.

:D:D:D

A most excellent post, thank you

Years ago, due to a change in Japanese labour laws Shimano had to split groupset development into separate teams. Internal competition between the crankset team and the cassette team was fierce.

The fundamental difference between the teams was how a groupset should be named. Team Crankset were traditionalists and fans of the multiplier x multiplicand system. Conversely, Team Cassette were fly-by-night renegades who believed that the sum of sprockets should be how groupsets are named.

This went on for a number of years until management eventually stepped in to try and relieve tensions once and for all. In a bitter winner-takes-all battle, Team Cassette closely beat Team Crankset in a Christmas pub quiz. Not only did they lose the groupset naming rights, the raw materials used to make triples was diverted to Team Cassette so they could add more sprockets.

Not wanting to emulate such strong internal divisions, SRAM and Campagnolo quickly followed Shimano naming conventions.

Lets not get started on the gear wars... :pac:

this is what you get if you go out for a cycle on a damp day, the day after the roads have been gritted, and forget to hose it down when you get home.

539675.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

speaking of 80's bikes, when I was in school, there was one kid in the class had a racing bike that was leagues above anything anyone else had (there might have been a second one in the school), when maybe 10 or 12 gears was the most anyone had his probably had 18 and was much lighter, I think it was aluminium based which I assume was a bit more exotic back then.
    I cant remember the price now but was heading towards 1,000 punts (and remember then a house in sligo would probably only have set you back 15K :pac: ), for the life of me I cant remember the brand, any suggestions what might have been available back then? Pugh comes to mind, would that make sense?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

puch?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

this is what you get if you go out for a cycle on a damp day, the day after the roads have been gritted, and forget to hose it down when you get home.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=539675&stc=1&d=1610814079
    Will you replace or just clean and re-lube?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

puch?

yep, it was vaguely coming back to me as I was typing, its not a brand im familiar with

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    speaking of 80's bikes, when I was in school, there was one kid in the class had a racing bike that was leagues above anything anyone else had (there might have been a second one in the school), when maybe 10 or 12 gears was the most anyone had his probably had 18 and was much lighter, I think it was aluminium based which I assume was a bit more exotic back then.
    I cant remember the price now but was heading towards 1,000 punts (and remember then a house in sligo would probably only have set you back 15K :pac: ), for the life of me I cant remember the brand, any suggestions what might have been available back then? Pugh comes to mind, would that make sense?

My dad rode a puegeot back then, no way he paid a grand for it though. Had a seat for me on the top tube ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Bora not off to a good start for the year. Collision with a car on a training ride. 3 lads in hospital, another 4 roughed up a bit.

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1350491014394478594?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Will you replace or just clean and re-lube?

It will just be surface, wire wool and relube will be fine. I had the same spots on the cassette of a brand new bike last week, wiped off easily and now have motorbike lube on it. Seems to be grand for the muck warrior

yep, i just lashed some fresh lube on it and it felt fine. gonna take it off the bike and give it a proper clean tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It will just be surface, wire wool and relube will be fine...
    An oily rag will do fine. No need for wool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's a regular occurrence on my winter bike. Mostly because I don't bother cleaning after a spin in damp conditions. I've often had stiff links that complain as they pass through the jockey wheels. This week I had a stiff front mech wouldn't shift to the small ring due to contamination/dirt/whatever and needed a firm 'heel tap' to convince it to shift. A drop of oil between spins sorts out these minor issues.

It's hard enough to find time for a spin never mind cleaning after a spin so once a week I spend one or two hours giving it a decent clean.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Bora not off to a good start for the year. Collision with a car on a training ride. 3 lads in hospital, another 4 roughed up a bit.

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1350491014394478594?s=20

More on this https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/schillinger-suffers-fractured-vertebrae-after-being-hit-by-car-at-bora-hansgrohe-camp/

joujoujou wrote: »

Kelderman has to have some of the worst luck in the pro peloton. Nearly every year he has something happen that puts him out for a few months.

• Advertisement

they quite simply must have come out of nowhere.

Advertisement