Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

only posting this cos it seems to have come from a helmetcam. randomly showed up as a suggested video on youtube.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Irish price for the KICKR Snap is about €500 give or take a few quid, so that Wiggle price looks bang on (pre-duty, pre-VAT). As far as I'm aware Wiggle) or any merchant) is not going to sell to Ireland ex-VAT, are they?

If I've got it wrong - happy days - that price beats CSS even coming from outside the EU (which has got to be a sickener for an Irish business).
    CSS are €499 but will give you 12.5% off their price online if you are a CI member. So will beat the Wiggle price AFAIK
    eeeee wrote: »
    My parcel turned up this eve in another house entirely. Happy days. Classic Fastaway. Never ordering from Wiggle or CRC again! CSS use them too, no online ordering from them either. Can at least pop out and pick up from there.
    CSS do drop off in their own van as well as use Fastway but like yourself, I'd sooner collect than go via fastway as I'd walk to CSS and get back in 1/10 of the time delivery will take with Fastway. They mailed me to say packages have been delivered even though their own tracking says it hasn't. I give up. Refund process to begin on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I had a run in with CSS about two years ago and haven't crossed the door since, I wont use wiggle or crc because fastway. I may start picking my battles

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

All of this assumes you can find anything in stock. Am desperately looking for a wheel on smart trainer (fancied the Kickr Snap) with no luck anywhere. If anyone knows where to get one I'd appreciate the help.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I had a run in with CSS about two years ago and haven't crossed the door since, I wont use wiggle or crc because fastway. I may start picking my battles

I didn't cross their door for years after one of there service staff started giving me dogs abuse for no reason and then started on a rant about how he felt that the adverts section of this forum was stealing their business. This said, he has long gone, and I returned after a poster here was working there and I had to pop in. Their floor manager has upped his game a lot in the last few years and overall it seems to be well run and friendly. Pity about using Fastway but at least, for me anyway, they are close enough to use without issue. My own LBS closed, and the only other one in the area I don't go near after some issues.

Now that I say it out loud, maybe I am the problem with my life :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭secman

I've had some bad , one in particular and some very good service ftom CSS, im virtually only 5 min away ftom them, by bike . Popped around today and picked up a jacket, overshoes, gloves, socks , peaked cap, couple tubs assos cream. Got my 12.5% disc and my €20 CI voucher. A belated Christmas present from herself as didnt manage to arrange it for Christmas.

Edit: Some stretch in the evening now jjust noticed it , almost 4:45 pm and still plenty of light there still. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm thinking of buying a new bike from Canyon. Estimated shipping date is February 22nd-26th. I don't mind waiting until then, but with all the Covid issues I'm wondering if it could be delayed and then am I crazy to be ordering it.

After all the back and forth I went out for a couple of hours. Currently trying to defrost myself, pulled actual ice out of my beard

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

That is not the proper choice of bike for cycling around the world. I know it's not legal, but it's stupid. What an attention seeking hipster.

edit: oh, sorry, wrong thread. Well done that man!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No mention in the article of any DPD vans turning in on him - the good old days!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Also look at his (pith) helmet, dangling uselessly at his elbow. If he had anything worth protecting, he'd wear it on his head.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I wonder what shorts/ pants he wore. Clothes from back then would have been thick and chafe-y I would have thought? And he was 2 years at it. Who knew you could survive turning into vans that long?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Email today from Sarto- my frame has been made and is now being painted. I'm quite excited now.

This seems ok to me, provided the person on the bike actually is going at walking pace if they're mixed with pedestrians:
    “There is a new generation of cyclists for which fast is the norm. Pedestrians are allowed to react if cyclists go too fast. But a cyclist who cycles at walking pace simply takes up less space than a cyclist walking with a bicycle" said Yves De Bruyckere, a Fietsersbond representative.
    https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-12-january-2021-279985

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Email today from Sarto- my frame has been made and is now being painted. I'm quite excited now.

Very very nice! Did you go for full custom geometry on it? What was the wait time?

I need a camera, any suggestions for something sleek/not bulky.

Messing around in the Phoenix Park around dusk, slipped on a hill and had to walk to the top only to be approached by a lad 'helping himself' I pointed my light at him and said I was just capturing his face on my camera.

Being from the locality I'm well aware this is rampant in the park but I was naive enough to think it only happened at night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

joey100 wrote: »
    Very very nice! Did you go for full custom geometry on it? What was the wait time?

Yep, went for my own measurements. They charge the same for stock geo as for custom made. Got a Retul bike fitting done in September.
    I put down the deposit at the start of October was told it would be about 2 or maybe 3 months "we never give an exact date"... As I often say to my boss "you can't rush art" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Love this programme.

The Repair Shop BBC 1 tonight 8pm

"The team members restore a bicycle with a patriotic past, a threadbare teddy on wheels, a Victorian firefighter's helmet and a vintage stereoscope viewer"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I need a camera, any suggestions for something sleek/not bulky.

Messing around in the Phoenix Park around dusk, slipped on a hill and had to walk to the top only to be approached by a lad 'helping himself' I pointed my light at him and said I was just capturing his face on my camera.

Being from the locality I'm well aware this is rampant in the park but I was naive enough to think it only happened at night

What's your budget, do you want a king zoom & how compact do you want it-jeans pocket, jacket pocket or rucksack?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

jimm wrote: »
    Love this programme.

The Repair Shop BBC 1 tonight 8pm

"The team members restore a bicycle with a patriotic past, a threadbare teddy on wheels, a Victorian firefighter's helmet and a vintage stereoscope viewer"

Love it too but I recently upgraded by Sky boxes and lost the scheduled recordings. Thanks for unintentionally reminding me to set the box to series link.

if you like that sort of stuff, you might like 'salvage hunters, the restorers' which is on quest or discovery shed or one of those, often at 8pm-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

Not sure if it'll start at the right point, but go to 33:36 if not:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^^
    "As I put the world to rights"
    Deadly.
    I do that all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

CramCycle wrote: »
    MOD VOICE: I don't want to be the thought police, so don't make me. If you go over the 5km limit, even just slightly, just keep it to yourself at the minute. This isn't a discussion on the rights or wrongs, it is me asking for no one to give me a headache because whatever your views (and I have had such a sh1t year, I don't actually f*ck*ng care anymore), it will be reported and does appear, even if unintentionally, like you are sh1tting on people who are following the rules. I appreciate that you probably are not, great, but if you want a discussion on it, I will happily do it via PM, but not here.

Cyclists caught in Galway among first on-the-spot fines for breaking travel limits

Two cyclists from outside of the county stopped by Gardaí near Carrick, Galway were among the first people to receive on the spot fines for breaking the 5km travel limit.

Gardaí received the power on Monday to issues on the spot fines of €100 for breaking the 5km limit by way of fixed charged penalty notice.The two cyclists caught at Carrick, who were not from the same household, were 19km from where they lived outside of Galway.

They claimed the “reasonable excuse” of getting exercise for being outside the 5km limit, but this is not allowed, and fines were issued.

these are lovely, but very expensive:

https://lemond.com/prolog

• Advertisement

these are lovely, but very expensive:

https://lemond.com/prolog

Very well concealed battery

Rear lights surprisingly reminiscent of a Bleeper bike. Nice that they're integrated and discreet.

Advertisement