Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Frederick St protest and reaction

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

It was discussed on Tv3. Ruth Coppinger came on the tv and was clueless. She said 'the only reason this issue is being discussed tonight is because of young people'...

She was paying attention to the Margaret Cash story, right? (Not debating the semantics, mind. I know many people weren't on Cash's side, but it was highlighted as one element of the housing crisis). Or the numerous Prime Time and tv3 documentaries?
    This discussions' been going on for a while-Eoghan Murphy just doesn't every appear on tv to discuss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Was 34 Fredrick Street even a house, though? Or was it offices?

I know 41 Belvedere Place was 10 bedsits, and planning permission was given in June 26th.

It seems that making apartments to house people is not what the activists wanted. Or will they call the planning permission being granted about 2 and half months ago a win, somehow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Akabusi wrote: »
    God we really have a lot of stupid wasters in this country who think they are entitled to everything without contributing anything. Stupid is a strong word but they hold Murphy and Coppinger up as some sort of crusaders, fools the lot of ye, they are playing you, jumping on any populist situation that keeps them in a great job. Get a job, contribute and make this country better, oh wait it’s an unjust society, house prices are too high, we can’t afford to rent, well try moving to somewhere that you can, if the country is that bad then leave, you have the whole of the EU to chose from. I am glad the majority of the country are hard working people that uphold the law, just a pity they don’t come down harder on the wasters.

I don't think your ire should be directed at the protesters. Do you think we good good value for what we put into the tax system?

I certainly don't. The money is being wasted but sure look at the wasters occupying a property. The story will be off the pages in a few days.

Divide and conquer is working anyway in 2018 Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It was discussed on Tv3. Ruth Coppinger came on the tv and was clueless. She said 'the only reason this issue is being discussed tonight is because of young people'...

She was paying attention to the Margaret Cash story, right? (Not debating the semantics, mind. I know many people weren't on Cash's side, but it was highlighted as one element of the housing crisis). Or the numerous Prime Time and tv3 documentaries?
    This discussions' been going on for a while-Eoghan Murphy just doesn't every appear on tv to discuss it.

To be honest, most subjects RC comes on TV to chat about, she is clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

the_syco wrote: »
    Was 34 Fredrick Street even a house, though? Or was it offices?

I know 41 Belvedere Place was 10 bedsits, and planning permission was given in June 26th.

It seems that making apartments to house people is not what the activists wanted. Or will they call the planning permission being granted about 2 and half months ago a win, somehow?

AFAIR 34 was a Dentist Surgery and offices,with the owner seeking approval for a Guest House.
    It's not long vacant either,and does'nt fit the bill at all,for what the protesters are describing.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭irishgeo

SF TD was on matt copper yesterday saying the crusties weren't criminals. Last time I checked ignoring a court order was a criminal offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

There is no housing crises there is an entitlement crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Samsong wrote: »
    People on twitter offering money for names of the masked Gardai and any other information.

Madness

And people are questioning why they had their faces covered? The type of accusations and nonsense thrown around in this thread and elsewhere proves they were correct to aim to protect their identities.

On the radio yesterday, the news reader was reading a story about this lot and said "4 tenants were removed from a house on Frederick Street". They weren't fucking tenants!! Tenants pay rent for living in a property, they don't break and enter and squat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭irishgeo

People saying it was a forced eviction. It wasn't. It was a removal of illegal squatters. i don't how else your supposed to remove them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Watched this on the tv, very disappointed with Matt cooper trying to be a Rockefella all the time and the Renua guy was as wooden and thick looking and Matt making him look like a fool. He will make a great TD for the back benches at the next election.
    This country is going mad slowly and is fu,,,d with the working person being wrong at every turn for believing in wanting to have a house,a family, and a bit of a life. The new way seems to screw every one who works hard and they have no right to question the media, the head bangers, and the do gooders.
    The people are wrong for agreeing the law was right to evict these persons out of this property that a person OWNED, the people are wrong for not agreeing Margaret Euro and her jail bird husband and entitled to a free life style and live it up, the abortion ref the people that voted yes were wrong to have a say in what effects the peoples right to choose. The whole thing is about keeping the media, TD in a job,the merry go round working and money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Why should you, an anonymous poster on a Internet forum be entitled to know the identities of people who are involved in something that has nothing to do with you?

because they have right to be on here with the 21000 posts and complain about opposite to what most people post,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

In fairness Eoghan Murphy was on Claire Byrne on Monday talking about the housing crisis, albeit focusing on the high cost of renting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

AlekSmart wrote: »
    AFAIR 34 was a Dentist Surgery and offices,with the owner seeking approval for a Guest House.
    It's not long vacant either,and does'nt fit the bill at all,for what the protesters are describing.

Its been vacant for 3 years, is that not long ? I'm not trying to be smart, genuinely asking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

naughtb4 wrote: »

At every ****in corner you turn. I know one lad whose council house is being repiled due to subsidence, so they moved him into a larger house while the job is being done.
    Told me hes going to stay there as it's a far more spacious house than his own, he'll keep refusing his own back for some reason or other.
    This lad hasnt contributed one cent in taxes in his near 50 years of existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

The people in the house were all employed. The unemployment rate now is 6.1% almost full employment so the problem isn't hoards of "lazy" unemployed scroungers it's that even with a job shelter is a problem The only surprise is that people didn't start getting militant earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

To add insult to injury, the law breaking wasters wanted to have a demonstration at 5.30pm, disrupting all the hard working commuters travelling home to the likes of Cavan, Navan and beyond who don't have their free forever home in a place of their choice.

Time for the Gardai to get tough on these wasters. Delighted to see them getting thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Move along, nothing to see here.

v2b67cjc4tl11.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Pretty sure that the govt allocated money to go towards this non existent crisis in the last budget, and it's hard to open a newspaper or turn on the radio or tv and not see politicians (including Leo or Eoghan) talk about the non existent crisis, they should all be sacked for talking up, and throwing money at a make believe crisis that doesn't exist so.

I have been around boards long enough to know that some posters/mindsets around the place will only start to refer to an obvious crises, as an actual crises when it is seen that whatever flavour of a political party they subscribe to are seen to be having an impact on in a positive way.

There is also a health crisis lurking in the background, and with winter steadily approaching, it's about to rear it's ugly head again.

I wonder who will be the villain poster boy or girl be then that gets rolled out to try and distract the masses attention then?

Maybe they'll have yer woman Cash's - 87 year old granny pictured on a trolley complaining that the A and E ceiling she has been staring at for all of 3 hrs needs a lick of paint.

That should get enough posters to be riled enough to vent their spleen in unison for a few days while the genuine cases get ignored and overlooked in the meantime.

Have to laugh at the wasters whinging and bleating on having a meltdown about getting thrown out by people protecting their identity, yet they were the ones breaking the law and ignoring Court orders and illegally occupying some woman's property that she bought and paid for legally.

They can give it but they can't take it.

All one way traffic with these people..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Pretty sure that the govt allocated money to go towards this non existent crisis in the last budget, and it's hard to open a newspaper or turn on the radio or tv and not see politicians (including Leo or Eoghan) talk about the non existent crisis, they should all be sacked for talking up, and throwing money at a make believe crisis that doesn't exist so.

I have been around boards long enough to know that some posters/mindsets around the place will only start to refer to an obvious crises, as an actual crises when it is seen that whatever flavour of a political party they subscribe to are seen to be having an impact on in a positive way.

There is also a health crisis lurking in the background, and with winter steadily approaching, it's about to rear it's ugly head again.

I wonder who will be the villain poster boy or girl be then that gets rolled out to try and distract the masses attention then?

Maybe they'll have yer woman Cash's - 87 year old granny pictured on a trolley complaining that the A and E ceiling she has been staring at for all of 3 hrs needs a lick of paint.

That should get enough posters to be riled enough to vent their spleen in unison for a few days while the genuine cases get ignored and overlooked in the meantime.

They allocated money towards housing, which should happen. They gave money to the arts as well is there an "arts crisis"

Politicians will talk up whatever the media tell them to. The media have created the crisis

• Advertisement

If they're unable to confirm who employed them, do you not think that they'd wait until they're able to confirm who hired them before telling the press?

Are we supposed to believe that if the Gardai receive an assistance request to ensure a forced removal of people illegally occupying a property goes smoothly and peacefully, that they just turn up on request without wanting to know who is asking for their back-up?

I don't believe the guards operate on such requests nilly willy or on a whim, but whatever you're having yourself S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

20Cent wrote: »
    The people in the house were all employed. The unemployment rate now is 6.1% almost full employment so the problem isn't hoards of "lazy" unemployed scroungers it's that even with a job shelter is a problem The only surprise is that people didn't start getting militant earlier.

You seem disappointed with that.

You’d be happy for law and order to break down and a free for all?

You seem disappointed with that.

You’d be happy for law and order to break down and a free for all?

I'd be happy if serious effort was made to tackle the housing crisis. It's getting worse and worse. The government don't seem interested so it has to be pushed up the agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭judestynes

anewme wrote: »
    To add insult to injury, the law breaking wasters wanted to have a demonstration at 5.30pm, disrupting all the hard working commuters travelling home to the likes of Cavan, Navan and beyond who don't have their free forever home in a place of their choice.

Time for the Gardai to get tough on these wasters. Delighted to see them getting thrown out.

They aren't waster's. they are sacrificing their freedoms and even putting themselves in harms way for YOU IN FACT FOR ALL OF US. Just because the current situation doesn't impact on you there's no guarantee future legislation won't. Are you all so blind you can't see that the mere fact that citizens have to go to such lengths to high light the injustice even the injustice of people who abuse the welfare system constitutes a failure on the part of the government. Do I agree with that particular course of action? No. I do agree there needs to be action though and the state sending in their bull dogs is going to make matters worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

irishgeo wrote: »
    SF TD was on matt copper yesterday saying the crusties weren't criminals. Last time I checked ignoring a court order was a criminal offence.
    No, it is a civil offence but a Judge can jail a person for contempt if they fail to obey a court order.

judestynes wrote: »
    They aren't waster's. they are sacrificing their freedoms and even putting themselves in harms way for YOU IN FACT FOR ALL OF US. Just because the current situation doesn't impact on you there's no guarantee future legislation won't. Are you all so blind you can't see that the mere fact that citizens have to go to such lengths to high light the injustice even the injustice of people who abuse the welfare system constitutes a failure on the part of the government. Do I agree with that particular course of action? No. I do agree there needs to be action though and the state sending in their bull dogs is going to make matters worse.

Sacrificing their freedom?

You have to be taking the p?

They are whingers and moaners who don't want to pay for anything and expect someone else to pay for them.

The media are as bad. Selective reporting. No one wanted to report that Ms. Cash/Ms. Forever home Fleming were not transparent (that's being nice about it)

Not everyone is gullible and they can't stand when people see through them.

They are whingers and moaners who don't want to pay for anything and expect someone else to pay for them.

The media are as bad. Selective reporting. No one wanted to report that Ms. Cash/Ms. Forever home Fleming were not transparent (that's being nice about it)

If they had kept quiet and not hung banners off the front of the building they'd propbably still be there. The purpose if it was to draw more attention to the issue which it has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

We must force the government into doing something meaningful about the housing crisis.

Also those people trying to force the government into doing something meaningful about the housing crisis are wasters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Samsong

With so many protests over various issues nowadays maybe it's time the government enforced a ban on them. It's is affecting national morale.
    Also going forward maybe the Gardai should consider having all its members wearing balaclavas when dealing with large groups of people. We know how social media change used against them

• Advertisement

If they had kept quiet and not hung banners off the front of the building they'd propbably still be there. The purpose if it was to draw more attention to the issue which it has.

Maybe not the attention they want though?

Pissing people off trying to get home from work while they fanny about doing sweet f all is not really garnering support.

They did not like getting ran out, you can see them having a meltdown, all this crap about an old van with no tax disc shows how pathetic and whingey they are.

Poor diddums got turfed out of someone else's house for ignoring court orders? Wasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I see these protests as a symptom of the shambolic way we build and rent homes in this country. As I said earlier our politicians have paid lip service to dealing with horded vacant property and sites but have done nothing. If there was a sustained effort to build affordable housing by the state it would have a relieving knock on effect for the private housing and rental markets in readjustment of the prices. This needs to happen, ordinary families are being priced out of the buying and rental markets across the country.

We need to stop viewing property as an investment and view it as a home again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

A few wasters that contribute nothing ignored a court order and are turfed out, uproar ensues.

A hard working farmer is beat unconscious and hospitalised by 4 fellas there to rob his place and not a word about it. I'll give the wasters one thing , they are good at the social Media stuff!

enricoh wrote: »
    A few wasters that contribute nothing ignored a court order and are turfed out, uproar ensues.

A hard working farmer is beat unconscious and hospitalised by 4 fellas there to rob his place and not a word about it. I'll give the wasters one thing , they are good at the social Media stuff!

So start a thread about it ya waster.

I think the Government are Boards.ie readers. I seem to remember suggesting something along these lines a few days ago.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0913/993427-land_development_agency/

“The Government is to launch the new Land Development Agency, which it says will coordinate State owned lands for regeneration and development, and open up sites for the provision of housing.

It will be funded to the tune of €1.25 billion and will have the power to use State land and to buy private lands on which potentially thousands of homes will be built across the country.

The Government believes the new agency could lead to the construction of more than 150,000 homes over the next 20 years.

They will include social, affordable and private homes.

The new organisation will be run along commercial lines and it will see the State forming joint ventures with builders and developers to provide homes.

It is understood there will be a requirement that one third of homes built on State lands will have to be affordable ones.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has already said this initiative will be viewed in the future as being on par with the establishment of the ESB and the IDA.

Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government Eoghan Murphy brought proposals for its establishment to a Cabinet meeting yesterday.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Rule 1: If you have a job you are entitled to steal an unoccupied house.
    Another of the liberal left's rules of engagement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭judestynes

There were several arrests I'm quite sure some of those will go to the courts those cases may or may not end in custodial sentences. That's a risk the protesters were willing to take so yes... that's sacrificing their freedom.
    What are you prepared to do besides sit at the internet and bitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No housing crisis for those with their own house.
    I'm all right Jack.

People have to break the law sometimes to affect a change; 1916, the War of Independence, Workers' rights, Suffragette movement, condom train...all illegal. Or do we just lie down and roll over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

enricoh wrote: »

And what are you doing about it other than whinging on...... social media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Nah there's not - there's plenty of entitlement available, AAA/PBP/SF - the usual crowd.

Kumbayf**kingah comrade.

What utter rubbish there.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    People saying it was a forced eviction. It wasn't. It was a removal of illegal squatters. i don't how else your supposed to remove them.

By all accounts the squatters left quietly. The trouble started outside, leading to the 5 arrests.

No housing crisis for those with their own house.

I'm all right Jack.

Very simplistic view. An awful lot of people in this country are "married" to onerous mortgages that they can barely afford to service. So a very high proportion are not alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

gandalf wrote: »
    Very simplistic view. An awful lot of people in this country are "married" to onerous mortgages that they can barely afford to service. So a very high proportion are not alright.

And whose fault is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

There were several arrests I'm quite sure some of those will go to the courts those cases may or may not end in custodial sentences. That's a risk the protesters were willing to take so yes... that's sacrificing their freedom.
    What are you prepared to do besides sit at the internet and bitch?

Didn't all the arrestees go to hospital after release? What a waste of hospital resources.

Didn't all the arrestees go to hospital after release? What a waste of hospital resources.

Ah but how else will they make a claim ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

gandalf wrote: »
    This needs to happen, ordinary families are being priced out of the buying and rental markets across the country.
    Dublin says no to houses to be built near them. Anywhere in Dublin will have NIMBYism.

Dublin says no to houses to be built near them. Anywhere in Dublin will have NIMBYism.

Oh nimbyism is a massive problem along with TDs who think like bloody county councillors.

And whose fault is that?

At the end of the day it's your own responsibility if you take on a loan of any type. However I'm just countering the narrative that people who own a home all are living on easy Street.

Given the state of the rental market and the lack of protection for long term renters it is understandable that people will stretch themselves to purchase a home. The problem is sometimes they stretch themselves too far.

THis has been blocked.

Aodhaon O'Riordan, Irelands most hip socialist opposition politician was celebrating construction getting blocked.

Reason: GEESE

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/500-homes-in-dublin-city-opposed-over-concerns-for-geese-36698384.html

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Four of the people evicted were hospitalised due to injuries suffered during the eviction. Assault by masked men protected by the Gardai, a sinister thing to happen.

I think you’ll find that 4 of the protesters took themselves off to A & E with such serious injuries as concussion. So serious that they were discharged that night?

They were not assaulted by those carrying out the evictions. If they were you can be sure that videos to that affect would be all over social media. They threw their rattles from their prams and attacked the Gardai who were carrying out their legal duties.

• Advertisement
Advertisement