Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Frederick St protest and reaction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

If you privilge not having your commute inconvienced for one day over the thousands of families being reduced to hotel accommodation then frankly the protesters are better off without your support. Be honest, you don't give a ****, at least not if it is going to in anyway impact you.

This will come as a shock to your obviously self important existence but literally no one cares about your vote.

You are 100

Why be a pain in the arse for normal people though and not the dickhead politicians causing the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

If you privilge not having your commute inconvienced for one day over the thousands of families being reduced to hotel accommodation then frankly the protesters are better off without your support. Be honest, you don't give a ****, at least not if it is going to in anyway impact you.

This will come as a shock to your obviously self important existence but literally no one cares about your vote.

You are 100

Then why to I still get pbp AAA alphabet soup fliers and canvassers at my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Obviously not enough heads were cracked open last night.
    If these Scrotes think they will get public support by blocking people on the way home it just shows how stupid they are

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I am sure there are people with left wing opinions who work...the language to describe protesters is strange....scum...parasites...freeloaders

It's harsh alright.

The only solution is to build more houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

hots wrote: »
    Why be a pain in the arse for normal people though and not the dickhead politicians causing the problem?

More melodramatic to clog up the whole gaff. Better photo opportunities don’t you know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Pensioners? Parents in receipt of children's allowance? Those with tax credits?

Can you be more specific?

Sorry..able bodied men and baby ploppers who do nothing all day and get to live for free in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This kind of nonsense serves no purpose other than pissing off tired, hunger workers wanting to get home and spend some time with their families.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Gatling wrote: »
    But evictions like these or from houses has always been done by private officers,and not the Garda ,
    When the Gardai are asked to attend they are used to keep the peace and deter trouble makers .

I certainly don't want to see the Gardai been used for standard everyday evictions ,how many would be taken off normal duties for evictions which would invoke more more protests about breaching civil rights ,

agreed, the gardai doing the evictions perhapse wouldn't be the best use of their resources. however these shadowy private security firms need to go and quick.
    what we need is a new state agency, the civilian enforcement agency. they would look after evictions,, among all other civil enforcement. they can be highly regulated and be given actual powers as they would be a state agency. perhapse they could take in the traffic wardens and operate the clamping service as well. possibly other stuff. might require some changes to existing legislation but it shouldn't be to much bother. probably a discussion for a separate thread though.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Trasna1 wrote: »
    Then why to I still get pbp AAA alphabet soup fliers and canvassers at my door.

Why do I get adverts for selling my rented accommodation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

aidoh wrote: »
    I get why people are critical over the protesters and I also understand why the cops may have needed to wear balaclavas in this case.

That being said, the amount of people absolutely creaming themselves over the thought of cops beating the shít out of crusties is bizarre.

Not one page in 25 of this thread passed without someone fantasising about cops getting tough on people. Weird.

I think the ordinary decent workers of the country are fed up with our soft touch system. Anyone that breaks the law should be dealt with quickly and harshly. No one, crusties or scangers, should be heading out to commit a crime thinking “Shure the cops will do nothing”

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Sorry..able bodied men and baby ploppers who do nothing all day and get to live for free in the city centre.

So male pensioners anyway and those of reproductive age in the city centre?

hots wrote: »

Because protests always inconvenience people. That is quite literally the point.

Who do you think votes for the 'dickhead politicians'?

You might need to reread what I posted instead of focusing on one singular point.

I asked if it was legal to drive a vehicle without a front registration plate, apparently the rear one was a uk one (I'm open to correction on this btw) while working either for, or in accordance/conjunction with the states police force?

My guess wold be no, but it's only a little guess mind.

Should we be expecting more masked men in unmarked vans, partially displaying registration plates in future police operations?

I need to know if I should be feeling worried or reassured here.

But they weren’t working for/in conjunction with the Gardaí. They were there to evict people who were illegally occupying a building, more than likely on the behest of the building owner.

The Gardaí were there to ensure that no one, evictors or evictees broke the law. The Gardaí were not on either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Paul Murphy supporters?

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Protesters now having a sit down at the junction of O'Connell Street, Parnell Street and Parnell Square.

No buses or Luas trams can get by, or any other traffic.

Time to baton charge them or get the water cannons out.

Paul Murphy supporters?

Quite so. In fact I remember Paul Murphy, RBB and Joe Higgins telling us all to chillax back in 2007, that the property market was headed for a soft landing.

Time to baton charge them or get the water cannons out.

I'm clearly not one of the protesters but all I can say in relation to the above is ****ing bring it.

A man with severe mental health and addiction problems indeed.

Does that change what I said about the Government who swore blind to solve the homelessness crisis all those years ago... and who today still tell us that it can't be solved overnight?

Using the spoofer numbers of 10,000 homeless. What percentage of the population is that? Less than 0.01%? Crisis?

I'm clearly not one of the protesters but all I can say in relation to the above is ****ing bring it.

Might be the first wash some of them get this decade.

Using the spoofer numbers of 10,000 homeless. What percentage of the population is that? Less than 0.01%? Crisis?

At least you are open enough to declare that you don't share An Taoiseach's view that the thousands of homeless, including countless families and children is a national crisis.

http://www.thejournal.ie/taoiseach-homelessness-3930398-Mar2018/

I suggest you direct your complaint regarding the terminology to the relevant Government department. Do let us know their response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Sounds like there may be a couple of landlords in here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Most look like students TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Can't say I support the protesters as I don't see what good it'll do, but how can the group of "heavies" turn up in a van with no tax or insurance and no reg plate on the front? And all the guards around them? If that's all true then how come that wasn't highlighted more?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

The outrageous actions of the gardai and the security people will backfire badly. Hopefully many more empty buildings will be occupied .There is a crisis and it takes something like this to kick off gov action. Use it or lose it laws should apply to property in built up areas. New York city used it to hreat effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

99.99 percent of the population are housed just fine and most folks have little contact with the rental sector.

The 500,000 people in rented accommodation would probably disagree with you.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp1hii/cp1hii/

Most look like students TBH

Not entirely sure why that would matter? They're probably most affected. I was there and I'm in my 30's and a senior tech worker who's trapped renting. There's also a contingent of about 500,000 adults who are trapped at home still with the parents because the situation is ridiculous, im sure some of them were there, not to mention the homeless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

20Cent wrote: »
    The outrageous actions of the gardai and the security people will backfire badly. Hopefully many more empty buildings will be occupied .There is a crisis and it takes something like this to kick off gov action. Use it or lose it laws should apply to property in built up areas. New York city used it to hreat effect.

Im more surprised theres guards I forgot what they looked like maybe they might spot the 1 or 2 hundred drug dealers that trawl our main street and do a bit

steves2 wrote: »
    Can't say I support the protesters as I don't see what good it'll do, but how can the group of "heavies" turn up in a van with no tax or insurance and no reg plate on the front? And all the guards around them? If that's all true then how come that wasn't highlighted more?

In the U.K. and NI tax and insurance aren’t displayed on the windscreen. The reg plate could have fallen off/been ripped off.

In the U.K. and NI tax and insurance aren’t displayed on the windscreen. The reg plate could have fallen off/been ripped off.

What planet are you on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Because protests always inconvenience people. That is quite literally the point.

Why inconvenience people who aren't causing the problem? Surely protests are to gain support for a point of view?

The largest majority of the voting population I guess if they're in power?

Go inconvenience the powers that be.

Advertisement