Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Frederick St protest and reaction

Options

Comments

blanch152 wrote: »
    Come off it.

As their likes did before, the type of protesters involved in this protest want to set up Facebook pages and target the private lives of Gardai in a modern-day version of intimidation and harrassment.
    That's a bit far fetched, now.

I see Gardaí monitoring the property of (what i assume to be) a drug-cartel member every day on my commute to work. They never wear a disguise. Gardaí do dangerous, very brave, work every day of the week, around people who clearly represent a threat to their lives -- maybe even their families' lives.

Are you seriously telling me these cops are lying awake at night worried about people saying mean things about them on Facebook? That they are afraid of so-called 'crusties'? If they are, maybe they've chosen the wrong career.

oh for a govt that would baton these jobless wonders off the road

easy knowing how far 'working people' are from their priorities with the entire town blocked from getting home

c**ts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Amirani wrote: »
    Higher property taxes needed, particularly on unused property. It stops landlords sitting on property trying to accumulate wealth through price increases.

Unfortunately many of the vocal people protesting here were/are anti property taxes...

How dare a person invest in an asset and expect to profit through capital appreciation!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Protesters now having a sit down at the junction of O'Connell Street, Parnell Street and Parnell Square.

No buses or Luas trams can get by, or any other traffic.

Back to targetting the actual workers again - might as well take their frustrations out on the people who fund their lifestyles :rolleyes:

Scumbags always gonna be scum I guess - and their like-minded supporters will defend them to the hilt no matter what

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I support the protestors as the housing situation is a complete scandal and emergency.

Lots of bitter "I'm All Right Jack" responses on this thread - Quelle Surprise!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I support the protestors as the housing situation is a complete scandal and emergency.

Lots of bitter "I'm All Right Jack" responses on this thread - Quelle Surprise!!:rolleyes:

can u be both bitter and im all right?

use better clichés

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

So these useless wasters are the reason there's no buses to get home?

Trasna1 wrote: »
    So these useless wasters are the reason there's no buses to get home?

yep

remember them at the ballot box

dead weight lobbying for their rights to a free ride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

knipex wrote: »
    To be honest first thought when I saw this was "about time."And I'm pretty certain I wasn't the only one.

No doubt, hence this painful, largely redundant discussion.
    Same lefty whinging professional protesters who demand rights and ignore responsibilities and contribute nothing.. Sick to the teeth of watching them ride roughshod over the rule of law and grab all the media hype and then when someone attempts to enforce the law they scream harassment.

The owners of this property have kept it empty for over 3 years. 3 years in which rents have exploded, property prices risen beyond all control, and thousands of children have ended up in homelessness. If you want to talk about rights and responsibility perhaps start there, you know, with the people with actual power to help alleviate this problem.

I remember watching those Jobstown prats standing on stage with a fake noose around their necks, fake blindfold over their heads and fake handcuffs behind their backs decrying the brutality of the state and raising funds while the same state was paying for their defense.. How my phone screen survived I will never know..

Do you remember also the Gardaí who testified in the Jobstown trial? Who were caught demonstrably lying. Whose testimony was so corrupted that the jury were instructed to ignore it?

seamus wrote: »
    It's pretty redundant though.

There isn't a day goes by that it's not on the news, that Sinn Fein isn't filing a no-confidence motion, or there's some new survey about rental prices, or some new homeless figures.

This is not a hidden issue that is being ignored or covered up and needs heavy-handed activism to keep it in the public consciousness.

And yet we've been being told by our masters that this problem can't be solved overnight since the death of Jonathan Corrie literally years ago.

Something being in the public consciousness is not nearly the same as the Government actually taking the necessary actions to resolve the problem. IF the problem were resolved there wouldn't be a national emergency in housing (by the Government's own account), there wouldn't be countless buildings being left unoccupied and to rot, while children grow up in hotels. I get that plenty of people don't want to care or give a sh!t, in fact so do the protesters. That is the point of protesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Protesters now having a sit down at the junction of O'Connell Street, Parnell Street and Parnell Square.

Commissioner should be all over this. Don’t back down from these bastards. He’s probably sitting there thinking about what a PR disaster it will be if men and women are beaten off the street. It ‘ll Be a bigger disaster if these parasites get their way

Only to certain types.

Types who already have their opinions anyway and are only interested in the parts of stories that further their agendas .

And frankly, who gives a **** about those whinger types anyway.......

Do those 'certain types' include members of the judiciary? Who had Garda testimony in the Jobstown trial discounted because it was demonstrably false.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

And yet we've been being told by our masters that this problem can't be solved overnight since the death of Jonathan Corrie literally years ago.

Something being in the public consciousness is not nearly the same as the Government actually taking the necessary actions to resolve the problem. IF the problem were resolved there wouldn't be a national emergency in housing (by the Government's own account), there wouldn't be countless buildings being left unoccupied and to rot, while children grow up in hotels. I get that plenty of people don't want to care or give a sh!t, in fact so do the protesters. That is the point of protesting.

The point of protesting is to highlight an Injustice and get the public onside.

I can't see how delaying thousands of workers from getting home furthers this cause.

Those freeloaders will never ever get my vote

Edgware wrote: »
    Well you can't blame People getting aroused at the thought of a truncheon bouncing off Rich Boy Barrett head.

Amused by those liking the above comment who screech hysterically about violations of abandoned private properties.

Ya'll terribly obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Only to certain types.

Types who already have their opinions anyway and are only interested in the parts of stories that further their agendas .

And frankly, who gives a **** about those whinger types anyway.......

Think you got it in one there. Let them feed on tabloid new sources and there fabricated emotive 'crises'. Some people are born to whinge and be offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Dlckheads, how do you get people on your side? Piss them off on their way home. Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Commissioner should be all over this. Don’t back down from these bastards. He’s probably sitting there thinking about what a PR disaster it will be if men and women are beaten off the street. It ‘ll Be a bigger disaster if these parasites get their way

Do they even know what their way is though? What is it exactly that they are looking for?

Delighted. I'm confident that the many public transport users who face the brutal increases in rents and witness the incredible explosion of homelessness in our country will recognise the importance of this action and support it.

Of course there will also be people who feel like they've been murdered because there journey home took a while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Delighted. I'm confident that the many public transport users who face the brutal increases in rents and witness the incredible explosion of homelessness in our country will recognise the importance of this action and support it.

Of course there will also be people who feel like they've been murdered because there journey home took a while longer.

Wouldn't be a pain in the arse for the people who are causing the problem no? Go sit on the doorstep of the Dail or something and get your headlines that way. I doubt anyone's opinion of the cause is any better because they now can't get home.

The point of protesting is to highlight an Injustice and get the public onside.

I can't see how delaying thousands of workers from getting home furthers this cause.

If you privilge not having your commute inconvienced for one day over the thousands of families being reduced to hotel accommodation then frankly the protesters are better off without your support. Be honest, you don't give a ****, at least not if it is going to in anyway impact you.
    Those freeloaders will never ever get my vote

This will come as a shock to your obviously self important existence but literally no one cares about your vote.

You are 100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The guy who owned a house (or houses) and sold it (them) of his own free will?

What would be your solution for him?

The guy who owned a house (or houses) and sold it (them) of his own free will?

A man with severe mental health and addiction problems indeed.

Does that change what I said about the Government who swore blind to solve the homelessness crisis all those years ago... and who today still tell us that it can't be solved overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Yeah I'm sure people on their way home after a hard days work will want to support these dicks who would rather do this than get an actual job.

can u be both bitter and im all right?

use better clichés

Quite clearly we can. Use better reading glasses.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Yeah I'm sure people on their way home after a hard days work will want to support these dicks who would rather do this than get an actual job.
    Why would you assume these people don't have jobs?

Doesn't AH teach us to buy into the narrative that it's the unemployed who are living in the lap of luxury with their free houses? Why would they be protesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

If SW recipients had to sign on daily, there'd be less of this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

If you privilge not having your commute inconvienced for one day over the thousands of families being reduced to hotel accommodation then frankly the protesters are better off without your support. Be honest, you don't give a ****, at least not if it is going to in anyway impact you.

This will come as a shock to your obviously self important existence but literally no one cares about your vote.

You are 100

And no one gives a continental **** about you.

And no one gives a continental **** about you.

Ah Ronan but you see I haven't claimed that they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I am sure there are people with left wing opinions who work..the assumption that everyone suffering in the housing cris is is on the dole and there by choice .the language to describe protesters is strange....scum...parasites...freeloaders

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »
    If SW recipients had to sign on daily, there'd be less of this

Pensioners? Parents in receipt of children's allowance? Those with tax credits?

Can you be more specific?

Advertisement