Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

proper sized flakes here now, first shower of this spell to deliver decent sized flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Latest snow reports from Athlone

It's a blizzard out there, has been for more than 2 hours and its getting worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

One thing quite unusual about this snow event seems to be the vast difference in conditions locally.
    Im here in Donegal a few miles south of letterkenny where there is little to no snow at all. Yet a little more north and into Inishowen there has ben blizzard conditions and some large acumalations of snow.
    Seems this is due to streamers feeding off the north coast only afecting north Donegal.

Fanad peninsula 30mins ago

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Calibos wrote: »
    LATEST SNOW REPORTS FROM BRAY!!!!

.........A big Fat NOTHIIIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGG!!!! :(:(:(

Aaaw Calibos I feel for you :-( don’t worry, Emma is comin!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Billzard = Bill Hazard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭firemansam4

schizo1014 wrote: »
    Nothing here in South Donegal either, I'm Barnesmore Gap area but it seems from Donegal Town as far as Killybegs there is nothing at all.

Im in Convoy, and been a couple of light flurrys but nothing really sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Just stopped snowing in Cabinteely in the past 20 mins. Radars seem to be "off". But despite almost 3 hrs of snow, there is scant depth added. Light flakes rather than pellets all morning. Seriously gusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

very heavy snow galway while sun is out in full force also surreal

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

YR not given any significant increase in wind speed throughout the day.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Our turn now in west south and midlands for Emma :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Dry sunny and no snow in Limerick.

Very disappointed. Hope Emma comes soon :(

Don't wish for it. It's a total whiteout over here in Meath. In Navan and the visibility is dropping rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Serious amount of snow has now fallen in Waterford.City since 5am.. continuous..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Swanner wrote: »
    But I wasn't in Munster.. I was here.. And I was just saying this has been another non event here..

People die in bad weather.. It happens.. It's not my fault..

This has been done to death.. Let's not go there..

No bother Swanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Snowing all morning in D14 but apparently not a flake in Wicklow town where the family are!

Can anyone tell me when the weather forecasts are reliable? I have a few important matters early next week in work, am I safe to assume they will go ahead (everything this week has been cancelled)? Will we know by the weekend if next week is likely to turn bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Lads, this is better than 2010...
    There I said it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Try_harder wrote: »
    Guess what, the world doesn’t revolve around you!

Decisions were taken in the National Interest, not tiny localised ones

I never said otherwise..

I just said it's a non event here :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

very heavy snow galway while sun is out in full force also surreal

Oh I was about to say Galway seems fine. While I'm not one of the eejits that moan about the warnings I am suprised it was made nationwide. Doesn't seem to be that bad here. Certainly not to the levels of the south & east.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Try_harder wrote: »
    Guess what, the world doesn’t revolve around you!

Decisions were taken in the National Interest, not tiny localised ones

There is no need for that, he was just making an observation about the weather where he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Nabber wrote: »
    Lads, this is better than 2010...
    There I said it.....

Not in D16.. in fact its pathetic.

there I said it..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

pad199207 wrote: »
    Can it even get worse than this?

Let's hope it can get better(more snow)- it certainly looks like it can from M.T. Cranium's forecast and looking at some of the hi- res models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Please god let it snow In wicklow town and Bray , I get the feeling they're going to crack up with frustration there at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Tried to take the dog out for a quick walk before the worse weather arrives later; he's only a little guy but he was out in the snow yesterday and loved it, so I thought he'd be just as keen today.

Nope - we got about 200 feet from the house, just at a corner on Bray seafront where the wind really hits you in the face and he turned tail and dragged me back home across the ice. It really is extraordinarily cold out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Wind direction will not change (much) but difference will be transition from convective snow to frontal snow....basically will not be relaying on the sea to produce snow.

What kind of timeline is the frontal snow expected for us poor deprived coastal Wicklow folk? Wondering if it will be after dark? Probably, right? Was half considering taking the kids off on a drive to somewhere with snow but I think that would be a bit mental given all the warnings...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Kamili wrote: »

there I said it..

Give it another 8 hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

30cm on the ground with x2/x3 times more in drifts. whiteout continuing. epic altogether.
    s roscommon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

there I said it..

In D14, it's been snowing quite heavily all morning, but it doesn't seem to be giving much depth at all. It's very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Limerick has a dusting of snow in the past two days. Probably no need for a nation wide closure of schools etc.

Limerick isn't due to get the worst until later today

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EMPotatohands

there I said it..

Hate that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

So would o be right in thinking Emma is going to dump another 20 odd cm of snow on top of what we are all ready getting here in Waterford?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    What kind of timeline is the frontal snow expected for us poor deprived coastal Wicklow folk? Wondering if it will be after dark? Probably, right? Was half considering taking the kids off on a drive to somewhere with snow but I think that would be a bit mental given all the warnings...

Really wouldn't do that - it might be fine where you are but in places where the snow fell yesterday, the roads are likely to be covered in thick ice - it's lethally slippery. I'm in Bray and some roads that haven't been treated are like skating rinks. It's just not worth the risk.

Advertisement