Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there too many weather warnings?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sad thing for some businesses are they could be on the brink 2/3 days of lost productivity at a slow period like this time of year could mean closure or layoffs.

Woe be tied any poor business that dares to open and announces it on FB-they are worse than Hitler in the cabals eyes!
    Most of the irish population have a very poor business sense, think money grows on trees etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭greasepalm

i never listened to the weather but now thankfully do check it on a daily basis or more in crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Nope, someone who was in a tizzy on the shore, what with all the warnings - got concerned when they saw the lads out on the water. So they phoned the emergency services and the media got to hear of it and jumped on the proverbial bandwagon, all over the story.

As the lads explained afterwards, they knew quite well what they doing and were in full control of their situation. Said person who reported might have thought they were doing their public duty but really they should have minded their own business.

Agree though that idiots who drive up in cars to the hills to view the snow, should be left there and let them make their own way down. They'd suffer a bit but sure what harm, that's how you learn.

Of course they’re going to say they were in full control of their situation. Face-saving and all that. The reality was that on the day, the weather could have turned earlier than anticipated. Experienced people get in predicaments all the time. And if they did get into difficulty, the lives of rescuers would have been put at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

No, it's still up to schools. The school transport will not run, but there is not a directive stating schools MUST close.

@RichardbrutonTD: UPDATE: Status red has now been issued for all counties with immediate effect. All schools, third level institutions and colleges of further education will be closed tomorrow and Friday #stormemma
    The minister of education disagrees with you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Sorry but this is complete horseshît. Teachers are merely employees and have no role in deciding whether to close or open schools. Boards of management of schools have that role along with the Dept of Education. In this case it was the Department and Minister Bruton that announced schools would not open.

But feel free to jump at any opportunity to bash the teachers.

Far better to inconvenience a few thousand parents than a few dozen teachers. That's the mindset you have to deal with in this country.

There's hundreds of schools closed in perfectly accessible areas around the country.

I wouldn't be surprised if the teachers and their unions wrangle a couple of extra days next week out of this while the schools are 'checked' for defects due to the snowfall.

Watch this space.

• Advertisement

Far better to inconvenience a few thousand parents than a few dozen teachers. That's the mindset you have to deal with in this country.

There's hundreds of schools closed in perfectly accessible areas around the country.

I wouldn't be surprised if the teachers and their unions wrangle a couple of extra days next week out of this while the schools are 'checked' for defects due to the snowfall.

Watch this space.

Oh you big aul cynic :D

road_high wrote: »
    Woe be tied any poor business that dares to open and announces it on FB-they are worse than Hitler in the cabals eyes!
    Most of the irish population have a very poor business sense, think money grows on trees etc

The cafe and shop beside me are open. Nobody seems in any way perturbed by this. Both are being used by people living adjacent. What are you wittering on about?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

School is not a child-minding service. If a parent relies on school for child-minding then they are taking a chance that means they will be left without care sometimes. And that's no-one's fault but their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Blizzards are forecast. When did you last experience a blizzard in Ireland?

The warning concerns the afternoon onwards, not now. Why are you talking about current conditions? People could get stranded later if they venture out to work now. Why is this so difficult to grasp?

And it’s a storm so there is a degree of uncertainty about where will be worst affected. They need to be cautious. If lives were cost, they’d be blamed.

The red warning was valid nationwide from 11pm last night causing business and schools in sligo to close today for no reason whatsoever. As I said, this is maybe a yellow or an orange in this region, but RED? If this is what constitutes a red warning from now on, well we may forget it!

The red warning was valid nationwide from 11pm last night causing business and schools in sligo to close today for no reason whatsoever. As I said, this is maybe a yellow or an orange in this region, but RED? If this is what constitutes a red warning from now on, well we may forget it!

It’s early in the day. The red warning is to do with today, more specifically later today. Storms are unpredictable. The closures are more do with people maybe not being able to get home safely AFTER work. Getting IN to work safely is only half the story.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    School is not a child-minding service. If a parent relies on school for child-minding then they are taking a chance that means they will be left without care sometimes. And that's no-one's fault but their own.

I don't have kids myself, so no skin off my nose. But my friends in Mayo emailed me this morning, no snow but the schools are closed for the next two days. She's a nurse and he works for a delivery firm - so working from home is not an option for them.

Still, serves them right for having kids and not having a 24 hour childminding service on standby in case all the schools decided to close.

Idiots.

I don't have kids myself, so no skin off my nose. But my friends in Mayo emailed me this morning, no snow but the schools are closed for the next two days. She's a nurse and he works for a delivery firm - so working from home is not an option for them.

Still, serves them right for having kids and not having a 24 hour childminding service on standby in case all the schools decided to close.

Idiots.

This spell of weather has been known to us all for at least a week. Plenty of time to make contingency plans. Why would they be surprised at school closures?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Watch this space.

Christ on a bike! You actually think schools are closed so as not to inconvenience teachers. I genuinely do not know what to say to that.

Anyway, it's clear you have a major anti-teacher chip on your shoulder and try to crowbar it into any topic of discussion. So I won't derail the thread any further by engaging.

This spell of weather has been known to us all for at least a week. Plenty of time to make contingency plans. Why would they be surprised at school closures?

Because there's no reason for them to be closed maybe?

Because there's no reason for them to be closed maybe?

Well, they are closed. And it was foreseeable. So... yeah. Might have been an idea to plan for this eventuality.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

If you rely on a non-childcare service as your childcare then you take a risk that you will be left without childcare at times when you need it. How is that difficult to understand? School is not a child-minding service and it shouldn't really be relied upon as one. It's easy to understand why people do but they are taking a chance and have no right to complain on the occasions when it doesn't work out.

What schools are, however, are bodies with an obligation to protect the safety of their pupils and staff. And that means closing if there is a risk to their safety. So lets stop bashing schools for taking their actual obligations seriously rather than for temporarily failing to provide a service that is not in their remit to provide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Idiots.

It’s great the naysayers have friends in unaffected areas they feel the need to email them bemoaning their lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Try_harder wrote: »
    No. Everyone thinks they are fit and able.

Reminds me of the family’s reaction to the inquest to their son/brothers death following Storm Ophelia- they didn’t know they had to stay indoors and not drive around!!! It was a CODE RED- the country was SHUT DOWN

people who unnecessarily go out in these conditions are not only putting their own lives at risk, but the lives of others also, that is unacceptable

You should take a trip to the running forum. Apparently footpaths are perfectly safe in the current conditions.

Runners- Don’t get me started! No doubt they were in tiny shorts and singlets! At least I don’t have to worry about them clogging up my path to work today!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 YeaYeaSure

In Limerick here. Nothing to warrant even yellow warnings here some schools off from yesterday . Businesses closed from midday today. Not saying they have but if they have messed up this warning again it'll be the 4th one in recent times that has been gotten wrong and Inform one would not pay much heed to them after it.

Warnings gotten wrong for our area in recent years.
    1. Darwin. Worst storm if my lifetime and little or no warning.
    2. Jan 2015 red warning for wind. Shools and businesses close and hardly a puff of a breeze.
    3. Ophelia I realise and understand it was very bad for some areas but definitely not red warning level here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

a friend of mine is the anxious sort and isn't a fan of bad or stormy weather. Since the upgrade to Red yesterday they have been very upset and very worried even though they are in a location that has seen very little snow, and not really below normal temperatures for winter.

The wholesale panic and hype in the media and from M.E. is frightening more than just my friend I'm certain of it.

• Advertisement

The cafe and shop beside me are open. Nobody seems in any way perturbed by this. Both are being used by people living adjacent. What are you wittering on about?

Can you actually read? If you’d actually read my post I was referring to social media mobs berating business for opening.
    Your coffee shop is open next door...why I’m supposed to care about this exactly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

YeaYeaSure wrote: »
    In Limerick here. Nothing to warrant even yellow warnings here some schools off from yesterday . Businesses closed from midday today. Not saying they have but if they have messed up this warning again it'll be the 4th one in recent times that has been gotten wrong and Inform one would not pay much heed to them after it.

Warnings gotten wrong for our area in recent years.
    1. Darwin. Worst storm if my lifetime and little or no warning.
    2. Jan 2015 red warning for wind. Shools and businesses close and hardly a puff of a breeze.
    3. Ophelia I realise and understand it was very bad for some areas but definitely not red warning level here.

I don't know where in Limerick you are but during Ophelia where I was it was red. Don't forget there taking in to account if you make it to where your going would you be able to get home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Answering the OP's opening post. YES There are too many weather warnings. Remeember the boy who cried "wolf". He was ignored after a couple of false alarms

Don't forget there taking in to account if you make it to where your going would you be able to get home

It's wonderful to have a nanny state do our thinking for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭clownface95

Limerick has a dusting of snow in the past two days. Probably no need for a nation wide closure of schools etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭clownface95

Heckler wrote: »
    They have to play it safe. If they got it wrong and a bus load of limerick schoolkids ended in a ditch there would be joe duffy outrage.

I'm sure the kids ain't complaining !!

Yah I kinda agree, just when you look outside and the sun splitting the rocks it kinda makes you question it.

It's wonderful to have a nanny state do our thinking for us.

In this case yes. Don't forget 1 who died during Storm Ophelia was on his way home early to try to get home. Transport to be stopling

Riva10 wrote: »
    Answering the OP's opening post. YES There are too many weather warnings. Remeember the boy who cried "wolf". He was ignored after a couple of false alarms

Yet if they don't and something happens they will be a meltdown blaming them. I agree they need to redesign it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Complete non-event here in the west. Issuing a red warning today was daft. Rush of blood to the head last night. Should have been issued from 4pm today. Folks here making the point that red warnings will not be heeded from now on. Sun shining, roads clear, yet schools, banks and post offices closing today at 1pm. panic stations for a bit of cold weather and a couple of mil of snow today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I think that people here can be generally a bit thick and personal responsibility seems to be lacking nationally, so perhaps they are warranted. No one would give the authorities thanks if there was little warning and then an event like this came and people were totally unprepared.

Case in point about personal responsibility - wicklow mountain rescue on the news yesterday, they'd closed of the road to the sally gap as it was impassible. still didn't stop one Muppet ignoring the sign and driving up in a blizzard - eventually had to be rescued, so put others lives at risks because of his own stupidity.

Also, that car that hit the pole in what looked like lucan on the telly yesterday - jesus he must have been travelling at 80 kph, The car was nearly bent in half with the impact.

Advertisement