Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

To be fair the ECM46 and Met Office have been doing the same for a while now.

By the way it started snowing here 30 minutes ago, and its sticking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

To be fair the ECM46 and Met Office have been doing the same for a while now.

By the way it started snowing here 30 minutes ago, and its sticking!!

Are you back home in that dump, otherwise known as Mayo? :p:p

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Posted on TWO yesterday. Says it all about the UK Met Long Range forecasts his Winter...

"And the "Stopped Clock Award" for 2019 goes to.....

December 14: Through the first half of January there is an increasing likelihood for it to turn colder bringing the increased risk of winter hazards, especially frost and fog. Some snow is also likely with temperatures expected to fall below normal. However, there is uncertainty in the timing of this change to turn colder, and it could come before the end of December.

December 18: Through the first half of January, there is an increasing likelihood that colder weather may begin to dominate with a greater chance of seeing east or northeasterly winds.

December 21: Then, further into January, most probably becoming colder and drier than normal, with an increased likelihood of easterly winds.

December 24: By mid-month there is a greater chance of colder weather, with an increasing likelihood of frost, fog and snow, with these conditions probably continuing for the rest of the period.

December 31: By the third week of January there is then an increased likelihood of a change to much colder weather generally, bringing an enhanced risk of frost, fog and snow.

January 3: Towards the end of January, however, there is an increased likelihood of a change to much colder weather generally, bringing an enhanced risk of frost, fog and snow.

January 7: As the rest of the month progresses and into early February there is an increased likelihood of colder weather to become established generally, which will bring an enhanced risk of frost, fog and snow.

January 9: During the last week of January and into early February, there is an increased likelihood of cold conditions being established generally across all of the UK. This would bring an enhanced risk of snow and widespread frost, especially in the north.

January 13: For the end of January and into early February, there is an increased likelihood of cold weather being established across all of the UK, with temperatures continuing a downward trend to become cold or very cold.

January 21: As we head through February there is an increased chance of seeing very cold conditions developing with a greater probability of northerly or easterly winds.

"You've got to give them credit for persistence. However many times the weather proves them wrong they are not giving up."

That is a very long winded way of saying that they forecast cold in the later part of January and it now appears that they are forecasting deeper cold to come in early February instead. Just because they updated the forecast weekly doesn't mean they got it wrong ten times.

Meanwhile, it's mid-January and 1 degree outside and snowing (from a westerly no less) in much of the UK and in Northern Ireland. I had to scrape ice off my car twice today, in coastal Dublin.

Edit: toned down a little. My original rant quoted below if you want to see what humour a 12 hour work day puts you in :)

Kermit - welcome back. Frog shaped snow angels are in my forecast. Don't get banned again or we'll tell Miss Piggy all your secrets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

UK Met Office and GFS out so far this evening and setting things up nicely. The important timeframe is going to be between the 28th and 31st of January.

That low pressure just east of Greenland is a so called trigger low for cold weather as it moves southeast because it drags in the deeper cold behind it.

Even at that stage that's a cold northwesterly wind that there would be a real bite to.

We can see decent cross model alignment already so confidence pretty high.

He is the One.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Carndonagh donegal 22/01/19
    YOUuFVL.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Couldn't agree more with Gonzo.

Variations on a theme but the direction of travel is toward a colder pattern by the end of the month. Between now and then it's a slack north Atlantic regime with a couple of colder northerly incursions (occasional wintry showers) and some cold and frosty nights.

Trigger for a real change looks to be between the 28th and 30th of January when the models see increased distortion and amplification of the jet stream (which is refreshing consistency after recent months) so we may see momentum across the Atlantic lost and Low pressure finally taking a dive southeast introducing colder conditions from the north or northeast.

This could be the out-workings of the effects of down-welling through the layers of the atmosphere from the recent stratospheric warming event at the pole registering with the models though it's impossible to say it is or isn't.

So yeah, changes imminent, it's more a case of "how cold?"...could be relatively benign or exceptional.

We shall wait and see. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Predicted cold spell around the 31st Jan - 5th Feb will be max 2-3 days. I could be a messy affair to start with sleet, snow and back to sleet. The jet stream will re organise very quickly and it will be back to normal. Taking other factors into consideration chances of a blocking is minimal for the next 2 - 3 weeks. Chances of snow around the first few days of February is very high but i don't think there will anything too extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

YanSno wrote: »
    Predicted cold spell around the 31st Jan - 5th Feb will be max 2-3 days. I could be a messy affair to start with sleet, snow and back to sleet. The jet stream will re organise very quickly and it will be back to normal. Taking other factors into consideration chances of a blocking is minimal for the next 2 - 3 weeks. Chances of snow around the first few days of February is very high but i don't think there will anything too extreme

You seem very sure about a quick return to milder/zonal weather after first week of
    Feb.... be interesting to see if you’re proved right or wrong. I very much hope it’s the latter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I moved this from the FI thread as there was no charts or models included but would love to hear the other factors that have come into consideration for chances of blocking to be minimal ?

Seemed everything else that was being posted was pointing towards it being in place ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

People getting exited again about day 10 in the FI thread...

• Advertisement

Almost didn't see this - first TSSN aerodrome forcecast of the season for Derry, 1800-2200 tonight
    TEMPO 2218/2222 0800 SHSN TSSN BKN004

Thundersnow!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

People getting exited again about day 10 in the FI thread...
    It's just like alcohol the next day.
    "I'm never drinking again."

Come that evening,
    "Who's round is it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

I moved this from the FI thread as there was no charts or models included but would love to hear the other factors that have come into consideration for chances of blocking to be minimal ?

Seemed everything else that was being posted was pointing towards it being in place ?

The Artic sea ice surface extent hasn't fully recovered and it's currently lowest since 1981 that will tend to have an influence in where HP will be located which is corresponding with NAO. Signals earlier for a blocking slowly diminished as there hasn't been any tropospheric response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Monkeynut wrote: »
    It's just like alcohol the next day.
    "I'm never drinking again."

Come that evening,
    "Who's round is it?"

They then tell the barman that they've no money but are almost sure they'll win the lotto in 2 weeks time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It snowed in London according to my friend. It's still dry here in Dublin 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

sdanseo wrote: »
    That is a very long winded and slightly unfair way of saying that they forecast cold in the later part of January and it now appears that they are forecasting deeper cold to come in early February instead. Just because they updated the forecast weekly doesn't mean they got it wrong ten times.

Meanwhile, it's mid-January and 1 degree outside and snowing (from a westerly no less) in much of the UK and in Northern Ireland.

I had to scrape ice off my car twice today, in coastal Dublin.

Not sure what particular brand of wine you want them to divine the melted snow into. They acted on the guidance and the vast majority of us on here did the same.

I think that's very unfair. It was long-winded to highlight the broken record almost word-for-word copy and paste forecast that was being repeated every few days. And it was totally wrong in every case. No mention of the prolonged mild spell at all, just the usual hope casting that people want to see. It's along the lines of Daily Express journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I hate Northwesterly for my location, not even the very highest point of Carlow can see decent snow.

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1087800890780803073?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ECMWF ENS have shifted back towards protracted cold spell this evening....Nothing severe cold but big changes.

Next 48 hours of NWP watch will be very interesting.

Time to get that rollercoaster ticket out from the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Villain wrote: »
    I hate Northwesterly for my location, not even the very highest point of Carlow can see decent snow.

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1087800890780803073?s=21

That’s strange.This morning i cycled up to the viewing point in Rathfarnham just at the start of the military road (397 ASL)and the ice was just about forming but I could see the top at about 500m had a good dusting so I can imagine Kippure had proper snow and that is lower than Mt Leinster.
    I took this selfie for reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Hard to see how it could possibly go wrong from here.😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Hard to see how it could possibly go wrong from here.😂

Very very easily actually ... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

And to think, some poster said yesterday that Kermit cant make it snow!!

Was said to me. I believe he is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

I love this thread, a bit of an emotional rollercoaster alright but what fun .. *buys 5 more tickets*

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

I’m gonna start praying from now ........

I think that's very unfair. It was long-winded to highlight the broken record almost word-for-word copy and paste forecast that was being repeated every few days. And it was totally wrong in every case. No mention of the prolonged mild spell at all, just the usual hope casting that people want to see. It's along the lines of Daily Express journalism.

I will agree with you here, the water divining comment was a little smartarsey. I'll edit that out. Apologies Oneric.

My point was simply that although there appeared to be 10 updates in fact the cold was really only pushed back by 3 weeks or so. Although, as I just posted in the FI thread, it is correct to say the models have been doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Light flurry of Snow here in Kildare. My first snowflakes of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Them FI charts are looking so tasty.
    EnragedCloudyIcefish-small.gif

BTW just my opinion, lamppost watching is different with the new led street lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

An unprecedented -4c now at Belfast Aldergrove, likely due to snow fields and clear skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

. Signals earlier for a blocking slowly diminished as there hasn't been any tropospheric response.

The tropospheric response, if there is any at all, will hit the first week of February. The Gefs suite seems to be backing your call, but they are often progressive with the pv being back in charge.
    My hunch is we will get a northerly followed by a brief north easterly during the first week of February, then it's back to a zonal setup- cold alternating with milder interludes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

JCX BXC wrote: »
    An unprecedented -4c now at Belfast Aldergrove, likely due to snow fields and clear skies.

Strange, the overnight low quoted on this morning's 06Z synop was -3.4 °C (grass min -9), yet the 05:20Z metar reported a temperature of -5. I seem to remember something like this before, so they must use a different sensor for metars, probably locater near the runway.

No snow depth was reported on any synops yesterday or overnight but a "covering" was reported in a snowtam yesterday evening. The latest snowtam one from 03:13 this morning showed two thirds of the runway cleared, final third with a patchy 25% covering of wet snow.

SWEG0003 EGAA 01230313
    (SNOWTAM 0003
    A) EGAA
    B) 01230313 C) 07 F) 5/5/5 G) 1/1/1
    T) RWY 25 FIRST TWO THIRDS CLEAR AND WET
    RWY 25 FINAL THIRD 25 PERCENT WET SNOW
    TREATMENT ONGOING, H)AVAILABLE FROM ATC)
    CREATED: 23 Jan 2019 03:25:00
    SOURCE: EUECYIYN

Advertisement