Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

funkyouup wrote: »
    Definetely buying 1 or 2 more of these.

I really need to get another vostok tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Had to make sure its definitely real lads:pac:

473597.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

Have this on my holidays.

473623.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Horoaddict

Loving this. Fits the wrist extremely well.

473629.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,730 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Any link to where one could get that strap?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Horoaddict

unkel wrote: »
    Any link to where one could get that strap?

Haven't a clue unfortunately as this is how the watch was bought, have had a look to see if I can find another OEM but the only place seems to be fleabay and I'm not sure I'd 100% trust them.

(although Watchfinder.co.uk do have an ebay account where they sell old straps that they've taken in and replaced so i'd keep an eye out there if you don't mind going for something used)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

Horoaddict wrote: »
    Loving this. Fits the wrist extremely well.

Superb, I have been eyeing one of these on bracelet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

furiousox wrote: »
    My one and only "good" watch.
    I ogled it in Weirs window for years as a younger man and saved up and bought this one about 18 years ago.
    I don't wear it to work, and sometimes forget to put it on in the evenings but it does get worn every weekend.
    Sometimes I think I should just sell it on, but I think I would very much regret it afterwards.

There's no doubt you would regret it, sounds like it owes you nothing after the pleasure it's given you to date, and replacing it would be expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Strela 3133 today, a re-issue / homage to the original Soviet watches used for 'space stuff'.

473763.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@Daemonic That is gorgeous.

What case size is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Satta Massagana

Thats a beauty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    @Daemonic That is gorgeous.

What case size is it?
    38mm. It's pretty faithful to the original which is 36mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

As some in here know, my brother in law loves his time pieces. He is over from US with his new toy.

738-FB1-B4-FA8-A-4603-B77-C-FC324-CA37-C1-B.jpg
    ECE8-C9-A1-52-F6-4026-A7-AB-DDB25653-BF95.jpg
    B0-FEEC7-A-3-CE9-4485-B63-C-D8-B4-A0-E28-FC1.jpg
    A2-E42-F52-0-BC9-49-D4-8-D5-E-095-C0-F4-EFA8-D.jpg
    2493-B4-EF-127-B-4-A9-D-AC2-D-E4-D0-E15-E0-B3-D.jpg

Apologies, camera on phone not great with evening lighting. I can’t emphasize enough how fantastic the lume is on this watch.

Ba$tard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

My $13 NavForce watch from GearBest finally gave up after 3 years of great service. The second hand fell off and the whole thing stopped working. I didn't want to wait 6-8 weeks for a replacement, so I headed for Argos yesterday and settled on an Accurist Skymaster.

€69.00 and after deducting the remaining value of a voucher I've had since Christmas, the net cost to my wallet was €35. Sorted.

My choice was validated by my teenage daughter whose verdict was, "Really cool."

7241635_R_Z001A?$Web$&$DefaultPDP570$

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've been wearing this a fair bit of late.

474098.jpg

French made LIP Nautic-Ski, from the late 60's, second version from circa 69/70. Would have originally sported a blue Tropic rubber strap(like this dealer example here Might hunt one down but they're mad money for an original). LIP R184 electronic movement that they developed in the early 1960's. Ticks like a mechanical. Battery lasts about a year which was par for the course back then with battery driven watches.

474103.jpg
    As you can see takes a Renata 301 battery size.

First electronic movement proper dive watch, housed in a two crown Super Compressor case(like a few were at the time from Longines, IWC and a few others). Beautifully made and expensive case at the time. One reason they didn't last as a thing.

474104.jpg

Works by working with the pressure(like a diving helmet apparently), so as it increases with depth the crystal and back case squeezes ever harder to keep out water. The reissue Longines diver/IWC etc with similar case designs don't work the same way. The top crown operates the internal bezel. The "Ski" part comes from the company owners daughter who was an avid and talented skier and skiing is a pretty damp sport too so a "waterproof" watch is an advantage(300m rating IIRC). 36mm case minus crowns, but wears much bigger as it's a very thick watch(14mm) with long enough lugs.

Prices have gone a bit mad on them of late like most vintage with a following though they're "cheaper" than most with the case design and the cheapest of all watches associated with Jacques Cousteau. Same model as mine in use, with an Omega Ploprof in the background.

lipskinaut-jpg.282852

Ebay auction prices vary from around the 500 mark to 800. More like 1-1500 for dealers. The later post 71 cases with more recessed crowns go for around the 3-400 mark. Movement and other parts even dials and bezels at times are readily enough available. Can be made water resistant to original spec too. So for a dive watch that doesn't look like the Rolex Sub and various clones not a bad bet IMHO.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Weird looking at what looks like an auto movement and then a great big battery to throw you. What's the second hand sweep like?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Like a mechanical. Ticks twice per second. Looking closer it's a little different to a mechanical in that the seconds hand kinda rocks back and forth very slightly with each forward impulse. Hard to describe. It's a very distinctive tick too. Many of the early battery movements were basically mechanical movements but with the mainspring replaced by a battery and some sort of electric impulse that replaced the escapement. Tuning fork movements were the most radical of all. The only movement where the driving force/escapement of the movement directly drove the hands.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Thats a very cool watch,
    I recognised the electronic component to the left of the coil as a diode and I was curious as to how that watch functioned so I looked it up.

The timing regulator is the rotation of a balance wheel which activates a switch at some point in its rotation, the current through the coil induces a field which gives a magnetic impulse to fixed magnets on the balance wheel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_watch

"Fixed coil system, contact controlled: watches with a piece of refined iron attached to the balance wheel, a fixed coil and mechanical contacts. In order to extend the life of the watch, some of these movements included a diode to minimize sparking on the contacts.[6] Examples of this technology are Lip electronic R 27, LIP R 148, Elgin electronic 722, 725, 910 which were the smallest electronic movements ever made and Landeron (ESA - Ebauches S.A.) 4750."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Lovely watch Wibbs - love super comps...

Found a vid of one of these movements in a Vulcain(they licensed them to a few marques, Waltham and the like).

You can kinda see the slight jerkiness in the seconds hand movement. Very distinctive with these. Note the display back. This new tech was considered so cool that they were keen to show it off and many models came with a display back. At a time when display backs in mechanicals were almost non existent. Note the crown isn't knurled because you didn't have to wind it or set it so often.

Yeah that early stage of electronic, tuning fork and later quartz is for me a fascinating period in personal timekeeping. Expensive watches when new too, with the best cases and dials etc. Naturally as in the days before Nostalgia Inc and post modernism they were seen as "modern" and The Future™ whereas the mechanical clockwork was seen as old fashioned. They were generally more accurate too. Now today we talk of mechanical chronometers, but back then few average people on the street were wearing those kinda watches. They were very expensive to buy and needed more care than usual and more servicing to keep that accuracy.

Handily that period is still pretty good price wise compared to the rest of the vintage world which tended to look down on them, though that changed a few years back and prices started to rise. Even so if you take the above Nautic-Ski which has gone way up(ten years ago you could get one for about 150-200 quid) when the earlier mechanical versions come up they go for a couple of grand, even though they're quite a dull looking affair and the movement could at best be described as average. You'll still get one of these movements in the non diver models for around the 200 quid mark or less. Here's a Waltham Electrodyne for only 90 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

First post in here, hope it goes well...

474266.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I also have that - use it as my daily watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

474282.JPG

I've been wearing this Monster all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

First time I've seen a watch with crown on the left.
    That'd suit me as I'm right handed, but also wear my watch on the right wrist. Left just feels wrong to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sminkypinky

Two watches from an old Swiss firm that is still in business but not widely known: West End Watch Co.

Founded in 1886, they originally marketed themselves to the British Army in India, and are still very popular there today, as well as in the Middle East.
    They produced the first waterproof watch (a pocket-watch - Rolex lays claim to producing the first waterproof wristwatch), and were the first to use the Incabloc shockproof mechanism.

Vintage (new old stock):

43280368454_f264712a92_z.jpg

And one of their latest models:

43427377134_bc8bfae77d_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sminkypinky

hoganj wrote: »
    First post in here, hope it goes well...

*SNIP*

Excellent watch - I notice that your SKX is - like mine - a 'J' model.

474304.jpg

The latest addition to the collection, bought from a fellow Boardsie. I had a really nice 'speech' laid out in in my mind last night praising our fellow watch lover and the community here. He was an absolute gem to deal with and I appreciated how he treated me during the process. I've forgotten it all this morning though, so thanks once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

Excellent watch - I notice that your SKX is - like mine - a 'J' model.

It was hard to get a J model when I got mine, probably rare as hen's teeth now. Great watch though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

A couple of new arrivals...

Seiko SRPB27

IMG-20190226-125106.jpg

Junghans Max Bill - 027/3401.00

IMG-20190228-140345.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Now they are lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The 2nd west end watch looks like it took inspiration from a black dial gagarin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

SNIP

Ah feck ya, I had just convinced myself I had enough watches!

Ah feck ya, I had just convinced myself I had enough watches!

Get it..... they are a fun watch. Lots of variations too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I came to thinking we don't have enough photos of Rich Tea biscuits on here (the red is a reflection of my jacket).

F5416B64-3B7A-46B7-9DEB-6C79F1F57CD7_zpswun403sk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Great contrast between the biscuits and watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

This week I have an unusual-ish in the sense that I haven't even seen a pic of one exactly the same.
    AFAIK it was called a 'Big Crown Chronograph' but ORIS has many of those. Unusual Automatic-Winder designation on the dial, the lume on the hands has aged. Wears quite tidy for a 7750 based watch and has a crystal back also. The locking chrono button are non functioning.
    I have this watch a long time and it has almost quartz like accuracy.

474634.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

This week I have an unusual-ish in the sense that I haven't even seen a pic of one exactly the same.
    AFAIK it was called a 'Big Crown Chronograph' but ORIS has many of those. Unusual Automatic-Winder designation on the dial, the lume on the hands has aged. Wears quite tidy for a 7750 based watch and has a crystal back also. The locking chrono button are non functioning.
    I have this watch a long time and it has almost quartz like accuracy.

Interesting, whats the case back number? The dial looks like a 7415 pilots chronograph, but the rest doesn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Anjobe wrote: »
    Interesting, whats the case back number? The dial looks like a 7415 pilots chronograph, but the rest doesn't!

It says 7480 on the caseback

EDIT 7480 and chrono is also stamped on the bracket end pieces

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

Loving this...

zn505v.jpg

Just arrived today from Australia seller.. fully insured with value declared on outside. Was fully expecting a customs charge. Was delivered to office today.. no import fees.. I wonder is it cause was delivered to an office or maybe I'll get a separate bill in coming days?

Watch was sized for 7.25 inch wrist so was just a little snug.. two holes on micro adjustment and perfect. Was a little surprised it didn't auto sync time. It was an hour slow. Installed ghsock app on phone and connected and it synched up then.. love the size and comfort on wrist and the looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Haven't posted in awhile, took this picture of the inside of the case back from my Bell-Matic when I got it inspected.
    L13WdF8.jpg
    Recently was watching Spencer Klein on YouTube who focuses on Seiko, in one of his videos i found out that it is a service mark from the Seiko service centre that used to be in Los Angeles. Great to see that the watch was well looked after and to get some idea of where it has been.

Link to video :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMRE2SYm70s&app=desktop

Some very interesting videos on his channel worth a look,especially anyone interested in vintage Seiko.

Loving this...

Was a little surprised it didn't auto sync time. It was an hour slow. Installed ghsock app on phone and connected and it synched up then.. love the size and comfort on wrist and the looks.

There are a few reasons why it would not auto-sync:

- Home city should be set correctly.
    - It only attempts at night (starting at 1am usually).
    - Auto atomic sync can be toggled on/off (previous owner may have done so).
    - It will not bother with an atomic sync if a bluetooth time sync has been achieved in previous 24hrs

Also note that DST on your display means daylight savings time is ON. We're not in DST until the end of March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

And, well...this is my new watch. I ain't buying anymore!
    ...Annnnnd SOLD. Happy the watch is going to a new home but still remaining in this forum/parish.

DSCF1989_zps5ls85r8s.jpg

DSCF1988_zpsrbvwariy.jpg

Nice one BB, well may you wear.
    Birneybau wrote: »
    I ain't buying anymore!

14051976_ori.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

thats bs. you know it. i know it. we all know it:D

theres even a support group meeting being organised to help us. or is that to enable us;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Though I do have my eye on...

Nah, I'll hibernate for a bit. Love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Wftablueboy

Some or the collection..

474770.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Breitling today

474945.jpeg

The internet isn’t for everyone

Battery change earlier. Not been so long since I put one in it. Maybe needs a service.
    474969.jpg
    Torque is nowhere near that of a mechanical, so any drag shows up in battery usage. Which is kinda a good thing as it usually means it doesn't soldier on wearing out. Hopefully that's all it is as it's one of only two early quartz I don't have a spare movement. Bracelet needs some refinishing with the old sandpaper. Nailed the hands position mind you(fluke) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Could have been a dud battery wibbs, I’ve had my share of them over the years

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

And can I add he was a pleasure to deal with.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement