Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

George Lucas’ strange revenge: he made one last change to the Greedo scene before offloading the rights to Disney.

“McClunkey!”

Why? Who the **** knows!

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/12/20961173/disney-plus-star-wars-han-solo-greedo-new-hope-edit-george-lucas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

George Lucas’ strange revenge: he made one last change to the Greedo scene before offloading the rights to Disney.

“McClunkey!”

Why? Who the **** knows!

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/12/20961173/disney-plus-star-wars-han-solo-greedo-new-hope-edit-george-lucas

Mad the way these outlet go for the clickbait headline and don’t do the basics before publishing.
    That change was made 7 years before the sale to Disney.

The phrase also in phantom menace. Sebulba says it to Anakin. It’s huttese the language of the Hutts. It means ‘this will be the end of you’

It’s also in ROTJ in the scene over the Sarlacc someone says it to Luke before pushing him in

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=90&v=nAnkFVaKnec&feature=youtu.be

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mad the way these outlet go for the clickbait headline and don’t do the basics before publishing.
    That change was made 7 years before the sale to Disney.

Multiple reputable outlets reporting it, and in fact watching clips of the 2004 cut and it doesn’t contain the additional line in question?

Multiple reputable outlets reporting it, and in fact watching clips of the 2004 cut and it doesn’t contain the additional line in question?

It was put into a 4K version for a 3D release of a new hope that didn’t end up happening.
    Mad part is all the original films on d+ are in 4K.
    That’s huge and been lost in all the hoopla about the teething problems and whatnot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The only change that would matter is if they'd just admitted defeat and changed it back to what it was in 1977.

Tony EH wrote: »
    The only change that would matter is if they'd just admitted defeat and changed it back to what it was in 1977.

Or just never made it at all to spare your fingertips.

Never made the stupid changes in the first place. Yeh, that would been far more preferable.

yuzzum.jpg

:pac:

What utter shite.

Articulate and bewilderingly nonsensical as always Tony.

You should run for a TD. I’d vote for you. Swings are joycean poetry blinding many now.

It's none of the above.

The additions made by Lucas to the original films were shite.

It's none of the above.

The additions made by Lucas to the original films were shite.

Agree for the most part.

Watch the special edition of empire though. It benefits hugely. And it’s done so well.

Jedis changes are unforgivable and seem to be fixed now

The original trilogy is on Disney plus in 4K. That’s brave.

• Advertisement

Agree for the most part.

Then stop moaning FFS. :pac:

Then stop moaning FFS. :pac:

If ever a poster was so lacking in self awareness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tigger123

Anyone seen The Mandolorian yet? Is it released week by week, or all up online at once?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

tigger123 wrote: »
    Anyone seen The Mandolorian yet? Is it released week by week, or all up online at once?

I watched the first episode and it was amazing !!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A fair few, so far anyway:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057916817

Consensus seems to be "yeah, it's all right", about to be expected for a pilot.

tigger123 wrote: »

It's a pretty good start. The only thing I wasn't pushed on was the blue fishman at the beginning, it's short running time and the music. Honestly, there's no real surprises in it though. Not yet anyway. It's probably going to play out like you think it will.

It's week by week, starting next Friday for the next 7 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tigger123

I loved the tone of the trailer. Gonna have a glass or 3 of wine this wkd, crank the 5.1 and let it rip :D

Next episode is this Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

The original trilogy is on Disney plus in 4K.

They can keep it. I'll stick to my copies of 4K77, 4K83 and the upcoming 4K80. Thank fuck for fan preservation projects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

Relikk wrote: »
    They can keep it. I'll stick to my copies of 4K77, 4K83 and the upcoming 4K80. Thank fuck for fan preservation projects.

Same. Any info on when 4K80 is to be released?

Isn’t 8k on the way?
    I don’t know anything about this stuff. I like watching the original cuts all grainy and grimey

Inviere wrote: »
    Same. Any info on when 4K80 is to be released?

I don't know when he started, but only one reel has been completed, so far. Five more to go!
    I like watching the original cuts all grainy and grimey

You'd love the 4K77 etc. releases, so. So beautifully grainy.

"So with or without Kennedy, sources say it seems likely that Favreau will have a lot of say over the future of Star Wars. These sources also say Kennedy's ideal team includes key roles for Michelle Rejwan, a producer on Episode IX and Lucasfilm's senior vp live action development and production, and Dave Filoni, the veteran animation director and George Lucas protege who directed live action for the first time with two episodes of Mandalorian."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-uncertainty-extends-kathleen-kennedys-disney-future-1256357

And looks like Filoni is taking a serious role too. This is great news

Sooooo.....if Lucasfilm had fired Rian, would they still be allowing him to hang around on set? 🀔

https://www.businessinsider.com/rian-johnson-saw-baby-yoda-on-the-mandalorian-set-2019-11

They fired Gareth Edwards and later gave him a cameo in 'The Last Jedi'. i wouldn't be reading too much into that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Kennedy was drawing ire with some fans with her statement that she had no source material to work from , isn’t there a whole expanded universe of novels etc that fans would have loved to have seen turned into movies?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

silverharp wrote: »
    Kennedy was drawing ire with some fans with her statement that she had no source material to work from , isn’t there a whole expanded universe of novels etc that fans would have loved to have seen turned into movies?

It was a strange statement to make. The way she framed it was as if MCU take comics and turn them into movies verbatim, which isn't the case at all. They could do the exact same thing with the Star Wars expanded universe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yes there is, and a deep percentage of that expanded material was pure, unadulterated garbage of the highest order; often barely above fan fiction, albeit with official branding. I would mostly agree with Kennedy's assessment TBH.

There were some genuinely interesting characters, like Thrawn or Mara-Jade Skywalker, but many novels etc. were just ... so, so bad.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yes there is, and a deep percentage of that expanded material was pure, unadulterated garbage of the highest order; often barely above fan fiction, albeit with official branding. I would mostly agree with Kennedy's assessment TBH.

There were some genuinely interesting characters, like Thrawn or Mara-Jade Skywalker, but many novels etc. were just ... so, so bad.

And just to quote myself, had to look for it, but here is my contender for stupidest plot device from the old Expanded Universe:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sun_Crusher

The size of a fighter, indestructible and can destroy entire solar systems. It was the kind of thing a child would invent during playtime. :D

I didn’t take it like that. She was echoing what herzog said in a way. Star Wars is it’s own mythology and a whole new mythology. Some people took her Comment to mean they’re remaking the originals. Please no. It really doesn’t have to pull from its past in these new films. Complete blank canvas. Which will no doubt have the force droids ships etc. tricky part is what is Star Wars? And what isn’t? I’ve heard Johnson say the same thing about his trilogy.

• Advertisement

And just to quote myself, had to look for it, but here is my contender for stupidest plot device from the old Expanded Universe:

The size of a fighter, indestructible and can destroy entire solar systems. It was the kind of thing a child would invent during playtime. :D

It's not much worse than that Starkiller nonsense. :pac:

Im not familiar with the material , I gather there is one writer in particular that should be avoided. Im sure the idea is you could pick the best stuff not the worst

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Plenty of good stuff they could have mined in expanded universe.

With filoni they probably will.

As long as no one does abaloth I'm fine.

Im not familiar with the material , I gather there is one writer in particular that should be avoided. Im sure the idea is you could pick the best stuff not the worst

To be fair, they have retained the best; Admiral Thrawn survived the mothballing of the old EU & has apparently appeared on Disney-era spin-off, as well as more bizarre elements such as Teräs Käsi (look it up lol), but IMO a large swathe of the EU was junk of the highest order.

Though also to be fair, Kennedy may not have meant what some are interpreting it as; there's an awful amount of hair-triggers out there when it comes to Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

The Sequel Trilogy

You can be guaranteed you’d hate the sequel trilogy if George had made it. He had some purely insane unworkable ideas. They pretty much stuck to his main narrative outline though w Luke Kylo and Rey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The Sequel Trilogy

giphy.gif

Her choice of words was the problem. No doubt she's comparing Star Wars to the Marvel movies and where they were sourced from. There's nearly 60 years of quality comics that can be used when planning for a storyline that needed 10 years of movies. Star Wars doesn't have that, even though there are some amazing Star Wars stories out there, they're just few and far between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,878 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That's not good.

• Advertisement

He did a good job on the last episode of Mandalorian but under the leadership of Favreau

Aye. But it's more his humour I'd be concerned about. Cannot see that travelling to Star Wars at all.

Waititi clearly toast of the town, or at least the Disney quarter of it. I suppose it depends on what carrot they dangle in front of him; I'm sure he has a half-dozen personal projects those Disney paycheques could happily fund.

Devoid of his distinct humour, his direction isn't particularly unique though; so if he's hired simply as a name to direct an other straightlaced story, it would seem like a waste of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭El Duda

Just give Villeneuve a trilogy FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I think he's great, but not sure about his type of humour in a Star Wars movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

He wouldn't suit a numbered movie, but nothing stopping him doing something else in Star Wars. While I laughed at the jokes in his Mando ep, I didn't some of it suited it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'd be OK with him making a stand-alone Star Wars movie to be honest, trademark humor and all. Thor: Ragnarok was one of the finest Marvel movies made to my mind. I don't see why it couldn't work for Star Wars in a self-contained adventure.

El Duda wrote: »
    Just give Villeneuve a trilogy FFS

No way, not if it halts his Dune adaptation! :D

I agree he'd be a good choice but damnit I've been waiting long enough for this adaptation

If they let Villeneuve have his own way, I could easily see a decent Star Wars come out of him.

• Advertisement

If they let Villeneuve have his own way, I could easily see a decent Star Wars come out of him.

That right there is the problem though: good or bad, Star Wars is a heavily prescribed universe for all sorts of reasons. More than most franchises it relies on a certain aesthetic that simply can't be deviated from. Someone so visual oriented as Villeneuve would likely get little traction to shake things up as much as he would.

Dune is at least a blank canvas, and even when he made the Blade Runner sequel, it had a distinct voice & texture all of its own, despite still feeling part of that existing world. Any other circumstance and a sequel might have insisted on being a clone of the '82 films aesthetic.

Advertisement