Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

waiting for R2D2 his story

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭Inviere

silverharp wrote: »
    waiting for R2D2 his story

Or “Ooteeni - A Jawa Adventure”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well, the rumour mill is saying the Boba Fett spin off from James Mangold is dead in the water. Supposedly the Mandalorian TV show is part culprit. Probably for the best, if true.

That's good news. A Boba Fett film would be awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

A Star Wars spy thriller. I'll hop on board for that.

https://www.starwars.com/news/cassian-andor-live-action-series-announced

From the official website:

CASSIAN ANDOR LIVE-ACTION SERIES ANNOUNCED
    DIEGO LUNA RETURNS AS THE ROGUE ONE HERO IN A SPY THRILLER FOR DISNEY'S DIRECT-TO-CONSUMER STREAMING SERVICE.

Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced today that Lucasfilm is in development on a second Star Wars live-action series for Disney+, the Company’s new direct-to-consumer streaming service.

The series, which will go into production next year, follows the adventures of rebel spy Cassian Andor during the formative years of the Rebellion and prior to the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Diego Luna will reprise the role of Andor.

“Going back to the Star Wars universe is very special for me,” said Luna. “I have so many memories of the great work we did together and the relationships I made throughout the journey. We have a fantastic adventure ahead of us, and this new exciting format will give us the chance to explore this character more deeply.”

The rousing spy thriller will explore tales filled with espionage and daring missions to restore hope to a galaxy in the grip of a ruthless Empire. A release date for the series has not yet been announced. Stay tuned to StarWars.com for the latest updates.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This obviously isn't the thread for it, but at this stage I wouldn't mind some news on non Star Wars / Marvel material on Disney's new service. The new live action shown sounds interesting (though being a prequel to a dead character already adds narrative redundancy), but would like to know the studios other plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,330 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This obviously isn't the thread for it, but at this stage I wouldn't mind some news on non Star Wars / Marvel material on Disney's new service.

These are the ones being filmed for it at the moment for it.

A High Fidelity TV series starring Zoe Kravitz.

and

A Lady and the Tramp remake

and

Stargirl based on the novel of the same name.

and

Togo starring Willem Dafoe based on Dog sled 1925 serum run to Nome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

DIEGO LUNA RETURNS AS THE ROGUE ONE HERO IN A SPY THRILLER FOR DISNEY'S DIRECT-TO-CONSUMER STREAMING SERVICE.

Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced today that Lucasfilm is in development on a second Star Wars live-action series for Disney+, the Company’s new direct-to-consumer streaming service.

The series, which will go into production next year, follows the adventures of rebel spy Cassian Andor during the formative years of the Rebellion and prior to the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Diego Luna will reprise the role of Andor.

“Going back to the Star Wars universe is very special for me,” said Luna. “I have so many memories of the great work we did together and the relationships I made throughout the journey. We have a fantastic adventure ahead of us, and this new exciting format will give us the chance to explore this character more deeply.”

The rousing spy thriller will explore tales filled with espionage and daring missions to restore hope to a galaxy in the grip of a ruthless Empire. A release date for the series has not yet been announced. Stay tuned to StarWars.com for the latest updates.

I see Disney is still stuck in that 60 year period of Star Wars, unable or unwilling to escape. It would seem an expert group of Disney executives sat down and had the following discussion:

Kennedy: "Ok, the whole anthology series thing is being dropped, but we have to save face, most importantly, mine. What can we take from Rogue One and Solo that worked to keep this ball rolling?".

Genius Exec 1: "Nothing from Solo worked, except for Woody Harrelson and we killed him."

Kennedy: "Beckett prequel?"

Genius Exec 2: "I think it would be best to just drop anything related to Solo."

Kennedy: "Rogue One then?"

Genius Exec 1: "People really liked Vader in Rogue One."

Kennedy: "Vader prequel? Like Vader between Revenge of the Sith and Rogue One?"

Genius Exec 2: "Erm.. how about something a bit more... off the wall, you know? What if, bit of a stretch here, we came up with a story far removed from the Skywalker timeline? That could really appeal to those saying they feel burnt out by Star Wars right now."

Kennedy: "New ideas aren't easy. They cost time and money. Far too risky."

Genius Exec 1: "Diego Luna received more articles on websites than any other character in Rogue One when it was in cinema."

Kennedy: "There's our winner. Cassian Andor prequel. I want a script for a five series show with a standalone film option on my desk by Friday."

Genius Exec 2: "Erm, it's Thursday."

Kennedy: "Pull a J.J."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Falthyron wrote: »
    I see Disney is still stuck in that 60 year period of Star Wars, unable or unwilling to escape.

I'm relatively okay with that so long as they can get a bit further away from the "Skywalker Saga". It's a big universe, whatever the year. And TV series rather than film should give them some room to explore it.

Looking forward to these two so far anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Chief immediate problem for me is basing a show on a character who's dead. We've already seen his fate - and got a theatrical summary of his character arc across Rogue One - I don't feel particularly enthusiastic over the story of how Andor found his way to get nuked on Scarif. Just feels redundant to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Chief immediate problem for me is basing a show on a character who's dead. We've already seen his fate - and got a theatrical summary of his character arc across Rogue One - I don't feel particularly enthusiastic over the story of how Andor found his way to get nuked on Scarif. Just feels redundant to me.

Exactly my initial reaction, why that character?

You can almost see the beats his characters going to go through in the show already :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It's the fact his death was so utterly definite: a lot of fiction - especially Science Fiction - loves a good resurrection or 'presumed dead' character returning from the grave; but the entire cast of Rogue One was written for the sole purpose of being annihilated for the Greater Good - particularly with Andor, sketched with a rough redemption arc.

To be fair, the eventual show may manage to thread that line between narrative redundancy and enriching what was a pretty thin character to begin with, but the likes of Solo doesn't make me think they know how.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

All of the characters in Rogue One were empty vessels. No one gave a **** about any of them. They were all terribly underwritten.

Maybe if they flesh out Andor's character enough over the two seasons they'll get before it's cancelled, people will actually give a **** about him and have some kind of investment when rewatching Rogue One?

Yeah, I don't think so either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

While knowing he is fated to die In Rogue one lends him a certain amount of plot armor , is it really any more armor then your typical main character from any show not called Game of Thrones has.

Umm, yeh I can see myself on board for that. So long as Andor isn't watered down. Cassian Andor is an assassin. Might be cool to see him on ops to take out people here and there. Empire and non-Empire alike.

I see Disney is still stuck in that 60 year period of Star Wars, unable or unwilling to escape.

Because it's the best period of Star Wars, bar none. Plus, they don't even have to write any universe politics for it. It's all been done.

TBH, that's a good thing. Because Disney have made a balls of it with the lack of world building in their sequels.

They've painted themselves into a bad corner, by having their Empire 2.0 remain in secret for 30 years, post 'Return of the Jedi'. So any prequels of their own, set between that film and 'The Force Awakens' are going to be quite dull, or completely at odds with the events in episode VI, if they do show the First Order.

It's no wonder they keep going back to the Imperial civil war period.

This is always a problem with prequels though.

The thing is, they know their sequel trilogy events just aren't connecting with a lot of fans. There's far too much in it that simply doesn't add up on a basic level. I think Episode IX will wrap up everything to do with the First Order and all of that tripe, so everybody can forget it.

So, they'll keep going back to the well that's better known and still relatively unsullied.

They won't try another period just yet, like Old Republic, because they don't know how to approach it. So plan A so far will be "set everything during the war".

Although, if I understand correctly, their other TV show about the Boba Fett wannabee is set just after 'Return of the Jedi'? So, I wonder if the Empire are still trying to hold onto power in that series. That could make for an interesting political situation.

It's the fact his death was so utterly definite: a lot of fiction - especially Science Fiction - loves a good resurrection or 'presumed dead' character returning from the grave; but the entire cast of Rogue One was written for the sole purpose of being annihilated for the Greater Good - particularly with Andor, sketched with a rough redemption arc.

To be fair, the eventual show may manage to thread that line between narrative redundancy and enriching what was a pretty thin character to begin with, but the likes of Solo doesn't make me think they know how.

Thing is, 'Solo' was a dreadful idea from the beginning. We already knew the beats of that story before a single scene was shot. The majority of the audience knew what was going to happen, which is why the film was so dull, narratively speaking as well as the photography.

But, we know relatively nothing about Andor. Other than he was involved in a rebellion against Imperial rule since it took control of his home planet when he was a child.

So, there's a lot of room for manoeuvrer here with his story. It's just unfortunate that we all know the punchline.

But, then, that punchline is the same as everyone else's. We're all going to die.

Cheeriness on a Friday there Tony :)

From the structure of a character's journey, there's a finality to Andor's story that renders this new backfilling feel like an exercise in futility, a bit of a waste.

IMO a good prequel can work as a form of character polyfilla; something that, when written well, might enrich an ongoing journey once the timeline swings back to the 'present day' of the narrative. Especially useful if the character came of a little one-note in - say - the cinematic production they first appeared in :)

And you just know one writer will be unable to resist the chance to wink at the audience...

"Scarif? Pffh, I wouldn't be caught dead going there"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Personally I'm on board with this. I quite liked Cassian as a character , thinly drawn tho he was, and could easily see myself watching a show where we see his grunts eye view of the rebellion. So long as ,as Tony just said, they don't water down Cassian character, he's a killer and a man with a lot of 'greater good' collateral damage on his conscience.

It is a prequel 'AGAIN' so people will moan about that with some justification, but id imagine anything post TLJ is ring fenced for feature films so we're left with either prequels to TFA or prequels to ANH to play around in. People could rightly argue that if they are going to do prequels they should do something in the KOTOR era, but is any of that lore considered canon anymore ? TBH even if it is I reckon Disney are too scared/don't give the fans enough credit to move things to an era so remote that the enemies ships won't have that iconic arrow tip shape . I think they reckon we need those visual touchstones for it to feel like Star Wars to us so are reluctant to move away from the OT era.

• Advertisement

Personally I'm on board with this. I quite liked Cassian as a character , thinly drawn tho he was, and could easily see myself watching a show where we see his grunts eye view of the rebellion. So long as ,as Tony just said, they don't water down Cassian character, he's a killer and a man with a lot of 'greater good' collateral damage on his conscience.

It is a prequel 'AGAIN' so people will moan about that with some justification, but id imagine anything post TLJ is ring fenced for feature films so we're left with either prequels to TFA or prequels to ANH to play around in. People could rightly argue that if they are going to do prequels they should do something in the KOTOR era, but is any of that lore considered canon anymore ? TBH even if it is I reckon Disney are too scared/don't give the fans enough credit to move things to an era so remote that the enemies ships won't have that iconic arrow tip shape . I think they reckon we need those visual touchstones for it to feel like Star Wars to us so are reluctant to move away from the OT era.

I think that is what the Game of Thrones showrunners have signed on to do. That is something I look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

they don't water down Cassian character, he's a killer and a man with a lot of 'greater good' collateral damage on his conscience.

Thats just what i see them doing, how he is in Rogue one will be their end game. They can give him any generic good guy persona going into this, and the events hes hit with to mold him are what they will focus on i bet, him not making a tough decisions, or trying to do whats good and people getting killed.
    I think that is what the Game of Thrones showrunners have signed on to do. That is something I look forward to.

As much as i have loved Game of thrones, that doesnt raise my hopes very high as it should.. to me the last season or two have been fairly predictable and generic, ever since they ran out of the books material to lay the road. On top of that, Disney are a completely different beast to HBO in terms of quality.As we have witnessed, Disney will churn out any old shite, where HBO have high standards, from what I've seen anyway :pac:

Ah HBO can churn out some awful rubbish too, they just hide it better with lots of sex & violence. But anyway, enough about Game of Thrones ;)

After Solo, I'd definitely see how things pan out first; I guess the decision has been to pause the cinematic productions and focus on TV adaptations, but that's not to say the same couldn't happen were the TV shows to bomb. This is certainly unexplored territory Star Wars. I've suggested a TV show might be the better avenue to take than an endless sequence of blockbusters - we'll find out if the audience will follow Disney.

nix wrote: »
    As much as i have loved Game of thrones, that doesnt raise my hopes very high as it should.. to me the last season or two have been fairly predictable and generic, ever since they ran out of the books material to lay the road. On top of that, Disney are a completely different beast to HBO in terms of quality.As we have witnessed, Disney will churn out any old shite, where HBO have high standards, from what I've seen anyway :pac:

Oh, I completely agree about the downward spiral in quality Game of Thrones is experiencing since the showrunners overtook the storyline in the books, but there is a lot of material on the Old Republic out there. Moreover, Disney take a very laissez faire attitude when it comes to lore and and what is considered canon when money/popularity is involved - Thrawn being a good example. The recent struggles should propel them to 'give the fans what they want', imo. That would mean engaging with the vast Old Republic library and produce a solid trilogy surrounding Darth Revan and Malak.

Hell, it would also be great if Disney allowed Weiss and Benioff to, you know, actually write the trilogy before they start filming. What a novel idea that would be! :pac:

Cheeriness on a Friday there Tony :)

Happy Friday, it's official...and the rest if my day is clear. Woohoo!!!
    From the structure of a character's journey, there's a finality to Andor's story that renders this new backfilling feel like an exercise in futility, a bit of a waste.

Perhaps. But, Andor is an open book unlike, say Han Solo, who's prequel was a terrible idea. So, while we know he's brown bread on Scarif, there's a lot still to tell. I hope Alan Tudyk returns too.

But, yeh, I get what you mean and agree somewhat. But, given the mess that Disney have made of this stuff so far. I'll take it.
    IMO a good prequel can work as a form of character polyfilla; something that, when written well, might enrich an ongoing journey once the timeline swings back to the 'present day' of the narrative. Especially useful if the character came of a little one-note in - say - the cinematic production they first appeared in :)

Like a 'Better Call Saul' of the Star Wars universe? 'Better Call Cassian', if you want any informers shot in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

There are far worse characters than Cassian Andor to base a TV series on. Plus obviously we get to see new characters too. I just like the idea of espionage in the Star Wars universe. Hopefully we get to see characters who are in that grey area where they can do good but aren't afraid to kill someone in cold blood too. I might be hoping for a bit too much there but we did get a hint of it with Cassian in Rogue One so fingers crossed.

I get the concern over watching a series based on a redundant character but look at the prequels...is there much of a difference in that sense between Cassian and the likes of Obi Wan and Anakin? We actually knew the basic outline of their story before Lucas even started on the script. We know next to nothing about this lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭buried

Suppose they have to make it a TV show because if they actually made a film of that character it would probably make around 10 euros at the box office.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I hate this whole going back to the well crap, particularly with characters that were completely unforgettable and made little to no memorable impact in the first place! I mean...couldn't they have just chosen another nameless character that we can grow to root for, and ponder at his or her fate throughout the whole affair - where will they end up? What role, if any, would they have played in the background of the OT? And so on.

I'm not saying I won't watch it as it could be a good insight into an interesting part of the SW lore, but I'm entirely 100% devoid of even the faintest scrap of enthusiasm about the choice of primary character. I didn't care about him pre-Rogue One, I didn't care about him during Rogue One, and I certainly don't care about him or his backstory now.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,330 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kathleen Kennedy Confirms Lucasfilm Is “Developing Something To Look At” Regarding Fan-Favorite ‘Knights Of The Old Republic’
    Whenever a new “Star Wars” project is hinted at, whether it be a spin-off film or TV series, pretty much the first question you’ll hear from fans is “Will it be ‘Knights of the Old Republic?’” When Rian Johnson was announced as developing a trilogy of his own, fans asked about ‘Old Republic.’ Same for the announcement that DB Weiss and David Benioff are developing films. Disney+ doing live-action “Star Wars” series? “Oh, I wonder if it’s ‘Knights of the Old Republic?’” Well fans, you should be excited because Kathleen Kennedy has confirmed that the creative minds at Lucasfilm are looking at the ‘Old Republic’ story for potential projects. So, can you stop asking about it?

Speaking to MTV at Star Wars Celebration, Kennedy was asked if any of the new projects were related to “Knights of the Old Republic?”

“You know we talk about [‘Knights of the Old Republic’] all the time,” Kennedy said. “Yes, we are developing something to look at. Right now, I have no idea where things fall, but we have to be careful that there is a cadence to ‘Star Wars’ that doesn’t start to feel like too much.”

Now, the “Star Wars” fans out there will take that quote and run with it, exclaiming that the studio is for sure, without a doubt, most definitely, 100% making a “Knights of the Old Republic” trilogy that will come out in 2022. But honestly, what Kennedy says is far less committal than that. Sure, Lucasfilm knows fans want ‘Old Republic’ stories, but all she says is they are “developing something to look at.” That’s far from a confirmation.

Also, later in the interview, she says that they’re always looking for ways to expand the film franchise, but have to be careful about oversaturation. And if you really read between the lines, it sounds like Kennedy is saying that ‘Knights of the Old Republic’ is something that would exist outside of the “next 10 years” that Weiss, Benioff, and Johnson are plotting out now.

https://theplaylist.net/star-wars-knights-old-republic-20190417/

• Advertisement

So we know now the schedule / timeline for Disney's future Star Wars films: after Rise of Skywalker in late 2019, there will be a new Star Wars film every other December starting in 2022. No details on exactly what those films will be, but I'm presuming this is the closest thing we'll get to a franchise hiatus from the Mouse House...

Advertisement