Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭tigger123

pixelburp wrote: »
    So we know now the schedule / timeline for Disney's future Star Wars films: after Rise of Skywalker in late 2019, there will be a new Star Wars film every other December starting in 2022. No details on exactly what those films will be, but I'm presuming this is the closest thing we'll get to a franchise hiatus from the Mouse House...

Is it too early do you think to start sh*tting on these films? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

So we know now the schedule / timeline for Disney's future Star Wars films: after Rise of Skywalker in late 2019, there will be a new Star Wars film every other December starting in 2022. No details on exactly what those films will be, but I'm presuming this is the closest thing we'll get to a franchise hiatus from the Mouse House...

does anyone really care :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They presumedly aren't going to do one trilogy/series at a time, so I guess this means a 4 year gap between the first two entries in each respective trilogy. So if Rian's first film is in 2022, his second will be in 2026.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

They presumedly aren't going to do one trilogy/series at a time, so I guess this means a 4 year gap between the first two entries in each respective trilogy. So if Rian's first film is in 2022, his second will be in 2026.

That much sounds promising at least, giving Johnson ample time to develop each film, if he does direct all three.

The way GoT is shaping up I wouldn’t have much confidence in those guys crafting an original work.

silverharp wrote: »
    does anyone really care :pac:

Fans of the franchise, Disney shareholders, people who own cinemas. So yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Would it not be more likely (and wiser) that they'll stick to one story at a time? 4 years is also a long time to wait between parts of a trilogy/series these days.

I know there was already confusion among my more casual cinema going friends as to how the recent sequel and prequel releases fit together – with Episode 7, then prequel to Episode 4, then Episode 8, then some heist movie set some other time.

I think they'd be wise to avoid that going forward.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Goodshape wrote: »
    Would it not be more likely (and wiser) that they'll stick to one story at a time? 4 years is also a long time to wait between parts of a trilogy these days.

I know there was already confusion among my more casual cinema going friends as to how the recent sequel and prequel releases fit together – with Episode 7, then prequel to Episode 4, then Episode 8, then some heist movie set some other time.

I think they'd be wise to avoid that going forward.

They can't really ask, say, the GOT guys to sit on the sidelines for the next 10 years while Johnson makes his trilogy. Also there's no guarantee that the first of their respective films will be successful enough to justify direct follow-ups.

Also, just because there's a 4 year gap between the first two films of their respective trilogies/series, doesn't mean there has to be a 4 year gap between the second and third films. The gap might shorten to 2-3 years once they feel confident with the direction, i.e. we may be back to one SW film every year before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I have felt a disturbance in the force,........ Rian Johnson Star Wars trilogy.... cancelled...

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

I've said all along that he will not make that trilogy. So obvious. You can't make a Star Wars film that pisses off half of the fan base and get away with it.

I think it would be funnier if Disney told him he was still making his trilogy but after the first film is finished, they announce that M. Knight. Shyamalam will be doing the second one, leaving RJ to pick up the pieces in the third film. See how he likes it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm either super blind, or else none of my usual pop-culture outlets are reporting anything about Johnson; what's the source for this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm either super blind, or else none of my usual pop-culture outlets are reporting anything about Johnson; what's the source for this?

There’s no source - from what I can see just a random YouTuber and clickbait site throwing out baseless speculation. Same as it ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

They're definitely going with a trilogy. We know that a few standalones were cancelled after Solo underperformed, so I would guess that their new approach is to focus on some Disney+ TV projects on an ongoing basis, and then allow a 3-year break for a new trilogy unconnected to the current one.

Disney is extreeeeeemely risk-averse and reactive to any fan discontent. Despite whatever Kathleen Kennedy might say about inclusivity etc, Disney will want the most hardcore SW fans onside for a new trilogy and not let RJ back outside of a 'consultancy' role on anything, considering the divisive reaction to TLJ.

If I were a betting man, I would absolutely say D&D's trilogy is alive and Rian Johnson's is dead. But they'll spin it to make it sound like RJ will have some say in how it will be shaped.

Disney is extreeeeeemely risk-averse and reactive to any fan discontent. Despite whatever Kathleen Kennedy might say about inclusivity etc, Disney will want the most hardcore SW fans onside for a new trilogy and not let RJ back outside of a 'consultancy' role on anything, considering the divisive reaction to TLJ.

It cancelled the stand alone movies largely because Solo flopped. The Last Jedi, on the other hand, made lots of money. The producers of Star Wars have every reason to work with Johnson again, chief being he made them a movie that earned healthy profits. They won’t care about angry fanboys complaining about “gender politics” and so on (many of the same criticisms were leveled at The Force Awakens). I think a lot of the frustration and anger coming from these guys was down to a realization that they couldn’t hit the movie where it would hurt—the box office—because their age and gender cohort are no longer the main one determining what becomes a blockbuster hit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If we're speculating wildly, then it's equally valid to suggest that Johnson's still in the good books and Disney know they need only give pause before the histrionics die down, after which they can lett Johnson make his movies. And it will die down; I don't imagine Last Jedi will ever not be a source of argument / discussion, but the screaming "worst film Eva!!11!!" types will move on...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It cancelled the stand alone movies largely because Solo flopped. The Last Jedi, on the other hand, made lots of money. The producers of Star Wars have every reason to work with Johnson again, chief being he made them a movie that earned healthy profits. They won’t care about angry fanboys complaining about “gender politics” and so on (many of the same criticisms were leveled at The Force Awakens). I think a lot of the frustration and anger coming from these guys was down to a realization that they couldn’t hit the movie where it would hurt—the box office—because their age and gender cohort are no longer the main one determining what becomes a blockbuster.

Yes, but Solo's flopping wasn't an isolated incident. Some fans were still raw in their reaction to TLJ and Disney's mistake in releasing another SW movie six months later was telegraphed by the late debut of Solo's original teaser. I'm not defending them btw - I thought TLJ was fine.

But if we acknowledge that TLJ was divisive among the fanbase (and Mark Hamill!), you have to look at it from Disney's side. They're only in the business of predictable returns for franchises that they can keep going for as long as possible, without any blowback or setbacks. TLJ made a lot of money - as it was always going to considering it was a sequel to the highest-grossing movie ever in the US - but a lot of fans had problems with them and were vocal about it. Some were incredibly toxic fans, but others were not (like Hamill).

Disney is not interested in standing by some auteur's vision for SW and I believe they will throw RJ under the bus and spin it accordingly when they announce D&D's trilogy. Look what happened when Lorde and Miller tried something different for Solo, just like RJ did with TLJ. They are interested in hired hand directors and placid fanbases to keep this train rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It cancelled the stand alone movies largely because Solo flopped. The Last Jedi, on the other hand, made lots of money. The producers of Star Wars have every reason to work with Johnson again, chief being he made them a movie that earned healthy profits. They won’t care about angry fanboys complaining about “gender politics” and so on (many of the same criticisms were leveled at The Force Awakens). I think a lot of the frustration and anger coming from these guys was down to a realization that they couldn’t hit the movie where it would hurt—the box office—because their age and gender cohort are no longer the main one determining what becomes a blockbuster hit.

The vast majority of critical opinions from fans and non-fans alike, didn't include this. Trying to boil it down to such a limited bracket is a bit disingenuous, to say the least.

And, once again, the BO take is NEVER a valid argument on the quality of a film, or audience appreciation. Many, many, people buy tickets to see movies and walk out of them with a negative critical view.

It has been confirmed that the 2022 film, the first after Episode IX, will be helmed by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss (aka, the ones to thank for your FB/Twitter feed being flooded with Game of Thrones hysteria).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

It has been confirmed that the 2022 film, the first after Episode IX, will be helmed by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss (aka, the ones to thank for your FB/Twitter feed being flooded with Game of Thrones hysteria).

They do well when they have voluminous and excellent source material, so let's hope the writers at Obsidian Entertainment, BioWare, and George Lucas did a stellar job in the writing department or Benioff and Weiss will make Rian Johnson look like Orson Welles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Johnson and Benioff and Weiss are working together, in tandem on their Star Wars projects and the two series are interconnected.

In an interview with EW at Celebration Chicago, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy provided an update on the next slate of Star Wars movies. She revealed that Benioff & Weiss are more or less collaborating with Johnson at this point:

‘As they finish Game of Thrones, they’re going to segue into Star Wars. They’re working very closely with Rian.

Future Benioff/Weiss And Rian Johnson Trilogies To Be Developed In Tandem, Feature Film Hiatus Confirmed

Look up Star Wars News net for the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Every comment and interview before their release scheduled can be ignored. They stay the course until official announcements are made, or their stock get's hit with each comment about how many billion dollar movies they've coming.

Iger said it was Benioff & Weiss for the next 3, and Johnson's name would have been dropped if he had been part of it. He could have another trilogy in 2028 past what's already announced but it doesn't look like he's working on this.

• Advertisement

I’d say it might well be B&W are doing the writing and Johnson is doing the directing
    Last Jedi had complaints but not one of them was about direction or visual stuff. It a beauty and a powerhouse visually.

Johnson is a writer-director. I don't see him handing over the writing duties. I suppose all three could collaborate on the script assuming they are prepared to combine whatever separate ideas they have. But for Disney that involves putting a lot of eggs in one basket and puts a lot of pressure on everyone to make the sequel in the 2 year gap. And what happens if the film is another Solo? They'd have to cancel the sequel and push back the 2024 release date while they scrambled to make a different film. Then again they had Michael Arndt waste a year supposedly writing a whole trilogy only for JJ to chuck it out and write a new script in 6 weeks followed by multiple delays. So I think we should probably ignore these 2022 etc release dates since they are just placeholders and subject to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If Johnson was involved it would have been mentioned, Iger only said Benioff & Weiss.

Went under the radar but also announced yesterday a third live action series coming to the Disney streaming service. So that’s the Mandalorian, the Cassian Andor series and untitled one. Obi wan perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

As long as the two new trilogies don't interfere with the established timelines (PT, OT and ST), then I'm all for them and I'm excited to see what they come up with. Especially Benioff and Weiss' efforts if the rumours about the Old Republic are true, and even if they're not. Also, as long as they don't rush the script, taking their time to weed out any rubbish humour and preventing the introduction of nonsensical character decisions, it should be interesting.

With GOT fans petitioning to have the final season remade, I guess it's only a matter of time until SW fans start demanding that B&W be removed from SW. At least Johnson and B&W will have lots in common.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This business of petitioning to have something remade is completely lame.

Sometimes life gives you lemons. Get over it.

With GOT fans petitioning to have the final season remade, I guess it's only a matter of time until SW fans start demanding that B&W be removed from SW. At least Johnson and B&W will have lots in common.

The criticism comes from quite different camps, I think. The remake TLJ brigade mostly seem like anti-SJW dickheads. The strongest hate towards GoT I’ve seen online
    has come from fans who appear to regard Dany as an iconic strong female character, that the showrunners are destroying in favor of Jon (while neglecting to note they had Arya save the day at Winterfell, and have been setting Sansa up as the most competent leader for at least 2 seasons).

Though after what has happened with both Star Wars and GoT, I’m impressed Disney has managed to keep basically everyone happy with Marvel after a decade of releasing multiple installments per year.

Relikk wrote: »
    As long as the two new trilogies don't interfere with the established timelines (PT, OT and ST), then I'm all for them

The Mandalorian won't, because we haven't seen any of that period, unless some of the EU is counted and not even Disney does that. Cassian Andor might have some knock on effects, but not if they can keep from farting around with the original characters from 1977.

But, a Kenobi TV show will absolutely have a detrimental affect on the original storyline, unless it's 10 episodes of him sitting on his own in his hut and trying to keep a low profile. If it involves spectacular adventures and run ins with the Empire, it'll all look a bit stupid, when the original 'Star Wars' is taken into account.

• Advertisement

With GOT fans petitioning to have the final season remade,

Oh FFS :rolleyes:

This is just dumb.

I've yet to hear a cogent set of arguments on why 'Game of Thrones' is so "bad" now. I haven't seen 8 yet, so it may be absolute shite. But this nerdy bollocks talk has been floating around for a while and it only stems from a binary RRM involved=good and RRM not involved=bad.

It's nonsense and GoT remains one of the finest examples of modern TV that's available. It's been consistently good since it started, slight flaws and all.

Advertisement