Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Tempted by the availability of Saturday tickets now. What's the story with day tickets? Do they kick you out at a certain time or can you hang around as long as you want in the main areas? 

Realise that I won't have access to the camping areas.

Also is it easy to get taxis at 3/4am there?

Were there saturday tickets last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Were there saturday tickets last year?

No. This is the first year of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

they must be finding it hard to shift weekend tickets

mimimcmc wrote: »
    they must be finding it hard to shift weekend tickets

Sound of a festivals last gasp.

Lineups have been on the decline past couple years.

Although that's subjective.

Sound of a festivals last gasp.

Lineups have been on the decline past couple years.

Although that's subjective.

I think this years line up has been particularly poor IMO but I'm still hoping to pick up a cheap ticket next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yeah, doesn't bode well at all.

I don't understand how All Together Now, seeming like a complete copy of B&S in almost every way, can have much bigger acts. maybe POD are taking a financial hit for the first year to establish it then next year will see less spent on the lineup.

I think this years line up has been particularly poor IMO but I'm still hoping to pick up a cheap ticket next week

Fever Ray and Shame stand out for me.

Lilila Vargan and David Keenan as well; although neither have an album yet.

Maybe they should revert to being a two day fest again.

I don't understand how All Together Now, seeming like a complete copy of B&S in almost every way, can have much bigger acts. maybe POD are taking a financial hit for the first year to establish it then next year will see less spent on the lineup.

Better marketing, less reliance on pushing politics and more fun based acts.

Alltogethernow seems like a festival where you can truly forget about the outside world whereas Body and Soul has Political and social undertones to both the music playing and the supporting activites that are there to remind you of the stark reality of the outside world.

And they have the Bootleg Beatles; :)

that doesn't really explain how they can afford much bigger (IMO) acts.
    headliners are about the same level, but ATN has quite a few well known acts down through the bill, whereas B&S is full of relative unknowns, mostly small Irish acts, with some of them playing twice....

ATN will probably have similar political/social stuff once they announce the spoken word/talking stages....

headliners are about the same level, but ATN has quite a few well known acts down through the bill, whereas B&S is full of relative unknowns, mostly small Irish acts, with some of them playing twice....

Oh sorry not to address that point;

I imagine a good bit of investment for the first 2-3 years.

And hopes of selling out to continue that for other years.

Like they have Forbidden Fruit and Metropolis money to fall back on as well. POD are really great with what they do with their budget compared to other fests.

• Advertisement

ATN will probably have similar political/social stuff once they announce the spoken word/talking stages....

Also I believe they have deals with Rob Da Bank from Bestival in a band sharing deal in order to share costs etc.

I really hope they don't have too much politics.

I really like escaping from the woes of the world if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah I don't understand it. I have an opinion that I have been bottling up for too long to avoid sounding like a grump (I am excited for next weekend I swear :p).

I don't get what is going on with the lineup for this festival at all or what the thought process is from the organisers, the lineup has been getting progressively worse every year despite the festival growing in size and ticket prices going up. I feel like it is getting significantly worse too.

2012 - M83, Spiritualized, Villagers, St. Vincent, Little Dragon, Django Django, Gold Panda, The Herbaliser, Shangaan Electro, John Talabot, Lee Fields

2013 - Nick Cave, James Murphy, Nicholas Jaar, Public Image, Solange, **** Buttons, Kurt Vile, Charles Bradley, Pantha du Prince, Jon Hopkin

2014 - Goldfrapp, Caribou, John Grant, Gary Numan, Darkside, of Montreal, Max Romeo, Jon Hopkins, Mount Kimbie, Tom Vek, The Field, James Holden

2015 - Super Furry Animals, Leftfield, Flight Facilities, Asgeir, Savages, Austra, Goat, Nightmares on Wax, James Holden, Talaboman, Tiga, Rhye, Kiasmos

2016 (the first year it seemed to go downhill) - The Gloaming, Santigold, St. Germain, Floating Points, Hudson Mohawke, Mercury Rev, Badbadnotgood, Gold Panda

2017 - Metronomy, Bonobo, Vitalic, Lambchop, Sleaford Mods, Mykki Blanco, Austra, RUFUS, La Femme, Birdynamnam, Sinkane

It has always gone for an alternative kind of lineup but I feel it has gone to the ridiculous point now, surely most people going will know very few acts on this years lineup. How much of a following does Chronixx or Arca or Iron & Wine have in Ireland? Yet tickets are dearer than ever and when you are there it is noticeably more crammed than 3 or 4 years ago.

In fairness to it it's a great festival and has a nice crowd and lovely atmosphere and plenty of fun smaller stages. Maybe it's just me as the arty and family stuff is probably lost on me, maybe I'm not even the target audience! But I don't think this is the same as people complaining on the EP thread that the lineups are getting worse, at least with the acts EP book they have a large following (even if it is for a younger crowd).. Body & Soul seem to be getting more and more obscure every year. Apologies for the rant :pac: anyone else feel this way about it?!

Yeah I don't understand it. I have an opinion that I have been bottling up for too long to avoid sounding like a grump (I am excited for next weekend I swear :p).

I don't get what is going on with the lineup for this festival at all or what the thought process is from the organisers, the lineup has been getting progressively worse every year despite the festival growing in size and ticket prices going up. I feel like it is getting significantly worse too.

2012 - M83, Spiritualized, Villagers, St. Vincent, Little Dragon, Django Django, Gold Panda, The Herbaliser, Shangaan Electro, John Talabot, Lee Fields

2013 - Nick Cave, James Murphy, Nicholas Jaar, Public Image, Solange, **** Buttons, Kurt Vile, Charles Bradley, Pantha du Prince, Jon Hopkin

2014 - Goldfrapp, Caribou, John Grant, Gary Numan, Darkside, of Montreal, Max Romeo, Jon Hopkins, Mount Kimbie, Tom Vek, The Field, James Holden

2015 - Super Furry Animals, Leftfield, Flight Facilities, Asgeir, Savages, Austra, Goat, Nightmares on Wax, James Holden, Talaboman, Tiga, Rhye, Kiasmos

2016 (the first year it seemed to go downhill) - The Gloaming, Santigold, St. Germain, Floating Points, Hudson Mohawke, Mercury Rev, Badbadnotgood, Gold Panda

2017 - Metronomy, Bonobo, Vitalic, Lambchop, Sleaford Mods, Mykki Blanco, Austra, RUFUS, La Femme, Birdynamnam, Sinkane

It has always gone for an alternative kind of lineup but I feel it has gone to the ridiculous point now, surely most people going will know very few acts on this years lineup. How much of a following does Chronixx or Arca or Iron & Wine have in Ireland? Yet tickets are dearer than ever and when you are there it is noticeably more crammed than 3 or 4 years ago.

In fairness to it it's a great festival and has a nice crowd and lovely atmosphere and plenty of fun smaller stages. Maybe it's just me as the arty and family stuff is probably lost on me, maybe I'm not even the target audience! But I don't think this is the same as people complaining on the EP thread that the lineups are getting worse, at least with the acts EP book they have a large following (even if it is for a younger crowd).. Body & Soul seem to be getting more and more obscure every year. Apologies for the rant :pac: anyone else feel this way about it?!

It’s good to vent :)

Bet you feel better

wow 2013 was a cracking year!!

I'll def have to check out Shame, they seem highly rated among you folk :)

wow 2013 was a cracking year!!

I'll def have to check out Shame, they seem highly rated among you folk :)

Great band, songs better live than on record and amazing frontman

Great band, songs better live than on record and amazing frontman

I've only had a brief listen, but they're quite like fontaines d.c.

I've only had a brief listen, but they're quite like fontaines d.c.

finally caught Fontaines DC live at Primavera and they were great, looking forward to them, and Shame

I haven't much to add, but I agree completely. I get that prices for acts are going up and all, and some of the acts from years ago were smaller, but the last few years seem to have been a big drop-off and have been very lacklustre IMO. as you say, Chronixx is almost unknown in Ireland. even in the UK he's playing Academy-sized venues, how on earth is he headlining? Arca and Iron & Wine are very niche acts too, even for "alternative" music fans.
    the arty-farty stuff holds little interest for me either. It's grand, but once you've seen it once, it's not really all that interesting.

haven't camped since the brought in the free-flow system as I've been at Glastonbury around the same weekend for the last few years, so looking forward to it, but quite disappointed with the lineup overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I’m not fussed about the lineup really. I’ve about 5 artists I really want to see and beyond that I’ll just wander. I’m going with a huuuuge group of 20+ so any super organized Glastonbury style plan would just go to sh!te anyway. Give us dry weather and I’ll be happy. Getting excited now, just one week to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CorkClaire82

I've been making this point for the past couple of years, like 2012 - 2015 were unreal lineups and then the last 3 years (including this year there) have been getting progressively more obscure and gone downhill each year. Maybe the quality is directly related to them changing the main stage!!! I wouldn't mind the lineup if the prices reflected it but it's too expensive for what we are getting. This would have been my top festival for those first 5 years and now I'm getting slightly disinterested in it. We'll see.

Having said that I'm looking forward to next weekend and I know I'll have a great time at it. And we got early bird tickets so didn't spend that much really :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 welleb

Is there anywhere to leave car keys?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

I've been making this point for the past couple of years, like 2012 - 2015 were unreal lineups and then the last 3 years (including this year there) have been getting progressively more obscure and gone downhill each year. Maybe the quality is directly related to them changing the main stage!!! I wouldn't mind the lineup if the prices reflected it but it's too expensive for what we are getting. This would have been my top festival for those first 5 years and now I'm getting slightly disinterested in it. We'll see.

Completely agree with the point and the year the approach seemed to change.Also less side shows like the yellow coats,tea tent stage or brat pack disco. Now trading on the name and judging by ticket sales that is being devalued.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Hard to argue with any of that.

On one hand I admire their focus on more left-field acts, and I've found some gems that I previously wouldn't have.

But there's no denying the quality of the line-ups has dropped over the last few years. And to have that coupled with a growing capacity and rising prices just doesn't wash.

For me, it's still the best little festival going and one that will always be a great weekend, regardless of who's playing. But judging by the (seemingly) slow sales this year, they'll need to add a few bigger names going forward to keep the interest.

Or else drop ticket prices. €200 is steep for a smalll festival with obscure headliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bobadog

Hi guys, first timer at Body & Soul this year. I have general camping but have option to change to Us & You. I would like somewhere quieter ideally and know the site map isn't released as yet. Any advice?

I think the Us & You campsite is supposedly quieter. Bring earplugs with you for sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bobadog

Cheers, I noticed on previous maps that there was a specific quite campsite. Anyone have any experience of this?

Actually just realised we don't have the map yet! When is that supposed to be released?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

welleb wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to leave car keys?

On top of your rear tyre.

Advertisement