Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

elperello wrote: »
    If any of you think that Casey cares about your lives I despair for Irish political debate.

He has you all champing at the bit like the ponies in the video.
    Lining up to take an online dig at the travelers while he and his likes are laughing at you.

Ask yourself the question "Why did he say it?" before you go dancing to his tune.

Who's saying he cares for anyone's lives in particular?

I dunno what thread you've been reading mate but all the praise has been for the fact that someone going for public office has spoken truthfully on this matter, when everyone else won't touch it with a bargepole.

He answered the question truthfully and accurately, and for that he's being praised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

If any of you think that Casey cares about your lives I despair for Irish political debate.

Lining up to take an online dig at the travelers while he and his likes are laughing at you.

Ask yourself the question "Why did he say it?" before you go dancing to his tune.

Not at all.....I KNOW that none of the Candidates,including the current incumbent,actually gives a rats ass about MY life..in facta,if they tried to convince me of this personal concern,I would immediately smell a rat and run away...Quickly !

Life is'nt like that,and neither is human interaction.

What you so righteously describe as taking online digs,is very simply normal human reaction to stuff which is happening everyday,throughout Ireland,and,if we are honest all across the UK,parts of Europe (I personally became entwined in an ethnic Irish Nupuial celebration in Cannes of all places...and yes....the event and its many fringes, DID require the attention of the Local French Gardai) and now Australia as well.

If online digs are your barometer,I would suggest that competition is well and truly stacked in favour of the "Other Corner",as a quick trawl through Utube will rapidly reveal.

Why did he say it ???

BECAUSE HE WANTS TO GET ELECTED TO A PLUM JOB....:eek: THAT'S WHY !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Human Sausage

ITT: After Hours, once again, tilts at the "PC leftie liberal do-gooder virtue signallers" windmill.

Ironically, this forum is one big echo chamber where anything remotely left-wing has the usual names thanking each other about how you're just a do-gooder SJW but they'll still convince themselves they're a "silent" majority. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

No .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

dulux99 wrote: »
    I've never had any negative experience with any of the aforementioned groups of people.

Nor have I except for maybe Taxi Drivers
    dulux99 wrote: »
    I've had dozens and dozens of negative experience with travellers. There probably are a few honest decent travellers around but I've yet to meet them.

#MeToo.
    Babooshka wrote: »
    You're not comparing like and like, none of those races or groups above you have mentioned have special status as given to them in Ireland and they don't ask or expect any either.

My point is that people that are inherently racist flock to this kind of ****.
    Well if he hates travelers, he must hate those Nigerians too, and all those South American "Language students", etc, etc, etc

This is how Trump got elected. He's seen as this beacon of hope for "White America First", where as he's not nearly as extreme as his voters.

I'm taking this off topic and I apologise for that.

I agree with Peter though and the above to comments. I'll be voting for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    If they are that attached to the horses they can give up the houses

Let them pick which is a priority for them

like many folk i'm very attached to dogs, but i wouldn't expect the council to build me kennels if i were begging to be housed, and to refuse a house because it had no kennels.

I am genuinely disturbed by the number of 'fair play to him' and 'he's only saying what everyone is thinking' comments.

Maybe I'm living in a parallel universe here, but I don't believe I've ever had any issue/problem with a traveller. A few years ago, I used to frequently meet a group of traveller women where I worked - they were friendly, down-to-earth people - the fact that so many here are including those women in their vitriol really bothers me.

All travellers are not the same. Same as all 'country people' aren't the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,663 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Proper order, that man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

_Brian wrote: »
    I feel he’s just playing the lowest common denominator by saying what he thinks people will like he’s hoping to be seen as a plausible candidate.

Ah yes anyone that likes a bit of truth, a bit of responsibility and a bit of accountability is seeking the lowest common denominator these days.
    has anyone ever noticed a traveller doing voluntary community work?

you know tidy towns, painting, cleaning, collecting rubbish etc.

Well they do tend to collect the rubbish around their sites.
    And they often offer painting services to old people and farmers.
    In fact they are so adept at it they will be back in a few months to carry out the recoat.

I couldn't give a shyte why he said it.

He had the balls to say what a lot of the people are actually thinking.

He also had the balls not to pander to a group that refuse to help themselves, refuse to contribute, all the while demanding more.

If anything he is now the most refreshing candidate for high political office we have had in this country for years.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

ITT: After Hours, once again, tilts at the "PC leftie liberal do-gooder virtue signallers" windmill.

Ironically, this forum is one big echo chamber where anything remotely left-wing has the usual names thanking each other about how you're just a do-gooder SJW but they'll still convince themselves they're a "silent" majority. :pac:

I would say most people in Ireland and on AH are centerist by nature and dint feel bound by terms such as left or right wing instead having opinions based on the issue

I am genuinely disturbed by the number of 'fair play to him' and 'he's only saying what everyone is thinking' comments.

Maybe I'm living in a parallel universe here, but I don't believe I've ever had any issue/problem with a traveller. A few years ago, I used to frequently meet a group of traveller women where I worked - they were friendly, down-to-earth people - the fact that so many here are including those women in their vitriol really bothers me.

no disrespect but it's often hard to tell the difference in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Dont be codding yourself if you think any politican gives a flying fcuk about anyone bar themselves, and the next election, nor do i care if theyre laughing at me. Id prefer my guy to ne "laughing at me", than your guy laughing at us.

Casey is no different, except he is has now tapped into what a lot of Irish people think, but are reluctant to utter for fear of being labelled a "racist". He spoke his mind in public. I admire that.

He aint going to be on 1% for much longer.
    He just took two votes off Miggeldy in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Fair play to you. You're most definitely in the minority though. We can't all be wrong or making stories up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Well spotted. While I don't disagree with what the man said, there's more to being president than an opinion on travellers.

There have been a heap of comments in this thread along the line of "His opinion on travellers is the same as mine so I'm going to vote for him". That's about as rational as choosing a builder based on the colour of his hair. It's irrelevant to the job that he's going to be doing.

In addition to that, too many people in the world keep falling for the "Common Man" con by elites. It's been done over and over again and people keep falling for it. It all boils down to "This man talks like dumb old me so he'll be great at that thing that I could never do". It's elites pretending to be common which may be why it keeps working on people.

Ever since Robinson the role of the Presidency has been expanded beyond it's constitutional figurehead function to include advocacy of causes that the President cares about.

In the case of Robinson that's been human rights, in the case of McAleese The North, in the case of Higgins it's been verbose but vague critiques of capitalist excess. All of it has generally been seen as a good thing, as long as it stays within the constitutional boundaries.

Casey therefore can raise any topic he likes on the campaign trail without breaking from this process. The wailing and gnashing of teeth over his comments is solely based on Travellers being above criticism in national discourse, as regulated by the media and the quango sector.

By raising this neglected and pressing issue he has done the nation some service. The fact that he has done so for his own electoral interest and will have very limited ability to do much about it makes his comments no less valid than his predecessors' advocacy of other issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Wouldn't be surprised to see John Connors wheeled out on The Tonight Show later this evening. Exactly the stuff Yates/Cooper would relish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

You sound like an exception rather than the norm. All my experience with the traveller community is negative. But I guess as a rural dweller we really don't see the good side assuming they have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Human Sausage

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I would say most people in Ireland and on AH are centerist by nature and dint feel bound by terms such as left or right wing instead having opinions based on the issue

I'd certainly agree about Ireland, I think it's clear to anyone from looking at our politics that society is broadly centrist.

But AH? This place has been steadily trending right since I first joined years ago. If you don't agree with the prevailing and clearly right-wing opinions on social issues, prepare to be mocked and have those mocking you roundly thanked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

https://twitter.com/NeilRedFM/status/1052472703716855808?s=19

*75% agree with him on one poll.

(* in before the "thats not representative....")

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Ciara Kelly has just began a discussion on this.....

"And all that good stuff" groan. :(

no disrespect but it's often hard to tell the difference in Limerick

Are you missing an 'only joking' smiley, or hae you just exposed more prejudice....?

• Advertisement

wouldn't the Presidential debate be more engaging, if it was organised along the lines of a round robin Bare Knuckle Fight?
    i think RTE ratings would go through the woof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

I completely agree with you, which is why I think as a group they should not be lumped into one "ethnicity", there are good ones and bad ones and they shouldn't all have the same privileges.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Uncharted wrote: »
    Ciara Kelly has just began a discussion on this.....

"And all that good stuff" groan. :(

According to her he's been "widely criticised" for his comments. Criticised by whom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

On Niall Boylan now

Travelers cannot get jobs because "of the government and you Niall, who is a racist"

These remarks have certainly triggered a bit of a discussion (for today at least)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Heard some gimp on newstalk earlier saying that he dropped a clanger or had a foot in mouth moment, as if the vast majority don't agree with what her said. There really is a group think within the media class

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

wouldn't the Presidential debate be more engaging, if it was organised along the lines of a round robin Bare Knuckle Fight?
    i think RTE ratings would go through the woof.

Could you imagine if John Connors attacked 'D' with a stick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Babooshka wrote: »
    I completely agree with you, which is why I think as a group they should not be lumped into one "ethnicity", there are good ones and bad ones and they shouldn't all have the same privileges.

Are you implying they are not one ethnicity because there are "good ones and bad ones"?
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

People who say he made "deplorable comments", did they actually read / hear what he said?

Could you imagine if John Connors attacked 'D' with a stick?

only candidates would be allowed to participate, and absolutely no weapons!

i mean we have to be sensible about this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

doylefe wrote: »
    People who say he made "deplorable comments", did they actually read / hear what he said?

Course not - they just read that a sacred cow got a metaphorical smacked arse for once and hit Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Hurrache wrote: »
    valoren wrote: »
    This is how Trump got elected. Not by exactly telling it "as it is" but by not being afraid or concerned about speaking bluntly and unapologetically about what he thought. That was like a breath of fresh air for indifferent registered voters. Casey must have been studying the Trump play book.

It's not. He lost the popular vote. More people in America who voted found they wanted Clinton's policies more so than Trump's.

And more people wanted Sanders policies than hers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

only candidates would be allowed to participate, and absolutely no weapons!

i mean we have to be sensible about this.

Freeman v the Shinner with kendo sticks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

The Joyce guy from the traveller representative group got his ass handed to him when the listeners comments were read out on air.
    :pac:

The pathetic ramblings of his traveller defense were pitiful.

Rabble rabble,culture,rabble rabble,racism etc etc.
    The public opinion is breaking through the media PC firewall.
    Well done Peter Casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What race are travellers again?

Look Causcoid to me. Maybe a slight southern Euro influence in some, noted by dark features and sallow complexions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

doylefe wrote: »
    According to her he's been "widely criticised" for his comments. Criticised by whom?

the media bubble

different story when she read out the landslide of texts supporting Casey:)

No weapons.
    This is Bare Knuckle ONLY!

Just wondering who we might get to referee? Pat Kenny or Tubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

ebbsy wrote: »
    And more people wanted Sanders policies than hers.

Not more Democratic Party primary voters, certainly, and it was never put to a general election test. So speculation on your part, and doubly tangential from the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

No weapons.
    This is Bare Knuckle ONLY!

Just wondering who we might get to referee? Pat Kenny or Tubs?

Miriam O'Callaghan

Sure she reckons Margaret Cash is a great mother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fair play to Casey for speaking up when everyone else was too afraid. He'll be getting my vote anyway.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

All citizens are the same, or should be. If Casey wants to express an opinion that designating Travellers as a distinct ethnic group was a mistake, that's his right. It's also an opinion that many other citizens share..

Perhaps you mean shinai?

Handy to get the terminology right, lest you get bopped over the head with the wrong type of sword (or "stick") with a loosely worded request...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Are you implying they are not one ethnicity because there are "good ones and bad ones"?
    :confused::confused::confused:

No I'm saying they shouldn't be an ethnicity at all they're just a bunch of people who won't live like others do. The only people expected to "move with the times" and not go back to the "dark days" are the poor gimps who slave away every day paying taxes for others who are allowed to continue as they were 100 years ago because some makey uppy status by someone in power who did it to be popular passed.

If we are expected to move with the times and allow them some sort of welcome into our society it should be returned.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    All citizens are the same, or should be. If Casey wants to express an opinion that designating Travellers as a distinct ethnic group was a mistake, that's his right. It's also an opinion that many other citizens share..

Especially the ones that want to do as Casey did, to wit to go on a lengthy prejudicial rant about them as a distinct group. Kinda proving the point about the wisdom of the designation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Seán O’Rourke sent his roving reporter to Portlaoise this week. You always know when the reporter is in the midlands

Case 1 was a traveller chap who was minding his business when two comrades threw chainsaws in the back and shouted drive drive drive. All three arrested. Such a laughable story :rolleyes: the driver was innocent see, under duress. The judge asked was he taking her for a fool and the solicitor as much as said it was a pack of lies but he was under instructions. Got community service

Case 2 was stealing dogs. Why? “Easy cash” they say. Got jail as I remember

Maybe there are parts of Ireland who never deal with this and so a poster can say he trusts everyone. Other areas of Ireland are plagued by it

gizmo555 wrote: »

If he brought that discussion to the table to discuss rationally, that'd be fine - it's the way it was the opening line in a rant, worthy of a boardsie going off on one. Not presidential material.

• Advertisement

Fair play to Casey for speaking up when everyone else was too afraid. He'll be getting my vote anyway.

Another proud member of the worst 2% in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Paulzx wrote: »
    No boss............the settled people keep coming into the site and dumping rubbish...i tells ye, not a word of a lie........

That's literally what a typical PC poster on here claimed before. Seriously, check this out.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105353373&postcount=30

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Miriam O'Callaghan

Sure she reckons Margaret Cash is a great mother

excellent suggestion. i can see this going global.
    Pay per View, Corporate sponsorship etc.

"AGGRO at the ARÁS. LAST MAN STANDING"

the proceeds could be used to run the presidency, thereby relieving us hardpressed taxpayers.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    You always know when the reporter is in the midlands

Just to be entirely clear, are you here to denigrate all Travellers? Or everyone in the Midlands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Politician in speaking the truth/obvious shocker and subsequent outrage from the usual quarters.

What times we live in!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement