Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,707 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's heading that way, with encouragement from reps like Mo Brooks. It's still amazing to see this stuff happen in America.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1346823072612036608

That's his Trump impression? Pretty good, I though it was Trump there for a second .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm not at all sure of the provenance of the rumours flying around that Trump is pointing at Pence blaming him for the loss of the election. If it's true and extra to his idea about Pence having the power [as Senate president Pro-Tem] to overturn the election result sent to the senate and congress in close envelopes from the 50 states, and Trump blows up in front of his rally on his loss going out live when Pence reads it out, then I could imagine Pence thinking "there's no way I am going to issue you with a pardon, your stupidity lost me my job and lost the party the presidency, the senate and the house, screw you". It'd be a fitting way for Pence to quietly stick it to Trump on behalf of the GOP in a way that would really hurt but.......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Looks like the 2 Georgia Senate seats have gone for the Dems, its worked out very well for President Biden, control of both houses!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

aloyisious wrote: »
    It may have to go to SCOTUS if it passes into law through it's planned Govt amendment.

How will it pass into law though without going through the House?

Changing how something is enforced isn't changing a law and can be switched back just as easily.

How a law or presidential power is enforced can go as far as SCOTUS but it is unlikely to get there if Biden has already changed it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Where would things stand if Pence were to resign before the count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

The Karma is strong today...:p

Biden has nominated Merrick Garland to Attorney General....payback's is going to be a Bitch for Trump

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/06/politics/merrick-garland-biden-attorney-general/index.html

I presume he held off until the Georgia election was over as not to sway the decision

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 39,461 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    The Karma is strong today...:p

Biden has nominated Merrick Garland to Attorney General....payback's is going to be a Bitch for Trump

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/06/politics/merrick-garland-biden-attorney-general/index.html

I presume he held off until the Georgia election was over as not to sway the decision

I’ve just seen the alert. Oh well played to the Biden and Harris administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Eric Trump,

"I will personally work

I doubt too many are worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,504 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Kalyke wrote: »
    Where would things stand if Pence were to resign before the count?

Seems he's issued a public statement to the effect that on examining the constitution he has come to the conclusion that as Senate President Pro-Tem he has no authority under it to reject the election result, even being aware of what the president had said on the issue. Its in the previous post above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The delicious irony of it is that he releases the statement as Trump waffling away to his followers. He also mentions 'allegations' of fraud, he doesn't venture into using the word 'evidence', however he does at the end talk about irregularities and the ignoring of state statutes which is still a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Biden to nominate Merrick Garland as AG. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/06/politics/merrick-garland-biden-attorney-general/index.html

Not my dream choice, I'd have preferred Preet Bharara but he wasn't in the running. He'd have been good to clean out the Trumpstain. But, Garland should scare a lot of people.

Vernon Jones, Democrat Rep elected for Georgia has switched sides joining the GOP. Jones, a former Democrat representing the 91st District in Lithonia, Ga., said in a post today on Twitter: Moments ago, I announced that I am officially joining the Republican Party. "Now more than ever, the Republican Party is in desperate need of leaders that know how to fight. I know how to fight." Jones, last year, campaigned on behalf of President Trump and spoke at the RNC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

No heayi handiness for these people, I suppose it's not as important as Trump wanting to walk to a church with a bible for a photo op which required gas and heavily armed forces pushing protestors out of the way.
    https://twitter.com/donie/status/1346881409919688710

edit: here they are, after getting riled up and egged on by Trump, this is mental
    https://twitter.com/ElijahSchaffer/status/1346881968819105792

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

NYT reporting that initially trump accepted he had lost but after some time he decided it was better to have ppl believe the election was “stolen” from him.

His father taught him harshly that winning is all there is in life, and losing is beyond bad.

Trump is “coping” with losing by choosing to believe in a false narrative that the election was rigged.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Could trump move to get rid of pence now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Could trump move to get rid of pence now?

No he was elected

• Registered Users Posts: 17,877 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

circadian wrote: »
    Trumpism isn't going anywhere, Ted Cruz is lining himself up to take the mantle. Best case scenario is that the regular "moderate" GOP voters won't back any of these chancers but the party could very well be heading for a significant split.
    Trump is one of the few who can pull off that level of lying and devotion from the morons though, the likes of Ted Cruz trying to do it just wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

His father taught him harshly that winning is all there is in life, and losing is beyond bad.

Trump is “coping” with losing by choosing to believe in a false narrative that the election was rigged.

Truly atrocious parenting, it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,877 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Trumpism isn't a political movement , it's a cult of personality.

Personality is not a gift that was bestowed on Cruz.

There are no policies , there are no plans , there's just whatever horsesh!t springs into Trumps brain at any given moment.

Cruz, Hawley et al are attempting to win-over the Trump zealots , but they really won't be able to.
    What he said^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

mitch mcconnell ****ting all over the entire trump stolen election agenda right now in the senate.

still a worthless worm, but respect for showing at least one testicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Amazing how retrained the police are suddenly.

Wouldn't have that kind of restraint if it was black kids in hoodies or Ohio students

• Registered Users Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭listermint

froog wrote: »
    mitch mcconnell ****ting all over the entire trump stolen election agenda right now in the senate.

Zero respect at all. He's pushed it out right until the last minute that shows the worm at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,757 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The real noodle is do I watch the House or the Senate debate?

Will anyone watch this gum flapping in sum ever again?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,033 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Actually , if someone actually challenges it I would expect it to be overturned - The Precedent would be way too risky , even for this current SCOTUS.

However , if he does pardon himself , I'm not sure that any Federal case will actually even start to initiate the challenge - Comey came out yesterday saying that Trump shouldn't be federally prosecuted.

NY are not going to stop coming for him though.

This is the thing to remember about when he pardons himself, I think I've said it before. It won't be tested until/unless someone tries to prosecute him for a federal crime. Then the fireworks will begin, I can't see how the Supreme Court upholds a self pardon - my reading of their Constitution is pretty clear on it but even if not it is just horrendous in terms of precedent and what they are willing to allow. I don't think they will rule in his favour when the time comes.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

aloyisious wrote: »
    Vernon Jones, Democrat Rep elected for Georgia has switched sides joining the GOP. Jones, a former Democrat representing the 91st District in Lithonia, Ga., said in a post today on Twitter: Moments ago, I announced that I am officially joining the Republican Party. "Now more than ever, the Republican Party is in desperate need of leaders that know how to fight. I know how to fight." Jones, last year, campaigned on behalf of President Trump and spoke at the RNC.

State house, not Congress so doesn't affect the slim majority there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,033 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Nuclear weapons tend to be destructive to everyone in the area. Denying the election results has proven not only to be ineffective at achieving their intended result, but beyond that, have proven self-destructive. They are, indeed, entirely on a different scale.

The people who have denied the election results are being sent into effective irrelevance, either voted out of power, or out of office entirely. They may refuse to accept it, but they can't deny the consequences. The people in favour of the nuclear option will certainly achieve their short-term goals. But like a nuclear winter, the long-term effects may prove far more destructive than the initial 'victorious' exhange. MAD is a thing both politically and militarily. We have evidence from the Senate as to what happens when one party goes nuclear and then the other follows. Why would we expect anything other from other such nuclear changes?

Cruz, Hawley, Tuberman etc

These people are not being voted out of power tbf, there is only so many times you can turn the other cheek. It seems like a pretty big reset is needed, which isn't done with kid gloves, whether it happens or not I can say which I think but its irrelevant.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

fascinating watching senators speaking. even if they're talking horse****, they are great public speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

froog wrote: »

You know things are going very strangely when McConnell comes across as a voice of reason

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1346891762862878721

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

How can they just demand an investigation into the election when there is no evidence? Has this ever been done before?

Ted Cruz is vile. “39% of the people believe this election was rigged”- yes because you keep spreading lies, you venal cretin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement