Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radio nova

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Had to laugh that they were promoting the release of Metallica's S&M2 album last week. I believe they even had an interview with Robert Trujillo last Friday. I love Metallica and I'm glad they were doing it but when was the last time they actually played a Metallica song? When they played Slane last year, the only mention on Nova that I heard was on Pat's show and he played Sandman. In fairness its probably the only Metallica song anyone there has heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭prunudo

And there lies the hypocrisy of Nova, they let on the are a rock station with their Facebook page, promotions and gig guide but their playlist doesn't reflect this. They've aimed their station at people who sing along to 'don't stop believing' and 'living on a prayer' at weddings who now think they're into rock music.

Edit, and don't get me wrong, I understand why they do it, ad revenue, there simply isn't enough rock fans to make a station viable but in doing so they've lost their identity.

When I was growing up there was a rock station (called The Rock :D) that used to have Mandatory Metallica every week night at 8:45pm. They would play 3 Metallica songs back to back. When I was a student and working part time in a leisure centre, we used to crank that **** up before closing at 9pm. Loved that station. Still listen to them every now and then online. A proper rock music radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

You talking about the old pre Nova "Rock" or the new one ....don't think Branigan has anything to do with the new one....won't be fcuked up so...:P

I believe Courtenay had to take in a delivery of hair dye...going to take a while i' expect...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

Greg wrapping up his show tonight with Freddie on his birthday... Tie Your Mother Down. Sublime and beautiful... also a double dose of the Dan in Becker’s honour. The man is a musical genius.

• Advertisement

AlgerShane wrote: »
    Greg wrapping up his show tonight with Freddie on his birthday... Tie Your Mother Down. Sublime and beautiful... also a double dose of the Dan in Becker’s honour. The man is a musical genius.

He was on this morning too, better standard of music for the 15 mins i heard while driving earlier. Shame he wasn't still on weekday mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

prunudo wrote: »
    He was on this morning too, better standard of music for the 15 mins i heard while driving earlier. Shame he wasn't still on weekday mornings.

Greg Gaughren comes with a lot of radio experience. He was with a number of Dublin pirate stations during most of the 1980s. I believe at one stage he presented a rock show on 1980s pirate Kiss FM. His legal radio experience includes: 98FM, Century Radio, Rock104/FM104, Dublin's Country Mix 106.8 (now called Sunshine 106.8) and East Coast FM.

Nova listeners dont want good music and a pleasant knowledgeable voice in the mornings....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭its_steve116

They've a habit of playing gig recordings at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭peterobrien100

He does a great show in the evenings ! His knows his music and has a lovely presenting style !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

So where are some of the former presenters of Radio Nova now? I deliberately left out some that I'm not sure - (a) if they are gone completely, or (b) what exactly they are doing now.... or (c) syndicated job!

Enda Murphy - Sunshine 106.8 and Classic Hits

Carol Dooley - Sunshine 106.8

Mike Maloney - online station Music One Ireland

John Power - presenter (as John Power) and owner (Noel Dicker) of Greystones-based digital station GCR Digital Radio

Breffni Clack - freelance multi-platform journalist and content creator

Hugh O'Brien - main job: solicitor. Often turns up on Christmas FM

Damien Farrelly - Classic Hits - was a filler breakfast presenter for about a week on Nova

P.J. Gallagher - Classic Hits - was a filler breakfast presenter for about a week on Nova

Paul Moriarity - Podcast producer and presenter for RTE (television and Radio One)

Johnny Bowe - Q102

David Tighe - Managing Director of Bauer Media Northern Ireland (Cool FM/Downtown Radio/Downtown Country) - when he was CEO of Nova, he did some fill in as presenter a few times

Can you fill in a few more gaps?

Me :cool:

Niall O'Keeffe - formerly Pat Courtenay's producer (when he was on breakfast), I also did some stints on news, the rock report, produced a sports show (World Cup extra with Con Murphy & Roddy Collins), presented overnights and was a presenter on their multi-city temp The Rock (looks like someone revived the website I wrote them LONG ago... with a few cosmetic changes... https://www.therock.ie)

Nowadays I'm in charge of Commercial Production & Station Sound in multi-county local station Midlands 103, where I also fill in on air from time to time. My profile page for them is here: https://www.midlands103.com/on-air/niall-okeeffe/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Anyone see JC on an on street brief interview re: c19 on Primetime this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Anyone see JC on an on street brief interview re: c19 on Primetime this evening?

Yes! Knew that had to be him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

This week Nova (and other Commercial stations) have indicated that they are be supporting Live Performance and Music Industry's Covid 19 awareness, therefore shouldn't they be playing these Irish artists instead of Prince and Rolling Stones on their DAYTIME playlists ?

I don't hear any difference on music output this week..

Ok, Greg Gaughran just hit an all-time record tonight. Not one, but TWO John Prine tracks from his final offering. This guy is an actual musical genius. No word of a lie. Also if you like the Beatles you should keep your ear on Nova this weekend, lots of double plays, give aways, and concerts in honour of what would've been Lennon's 80th birthday.

Ok, Greg Gaughran just hit an all-time record tonight. Not one, but TWO John Prine tracks from his final offering. This guy is an actual musical genius. No word of a lie. Also if you like the Beatles you should keep your ear on Nova this weekend, lots of double plays, give aways, and concerts in honour of what would've been Lennon's 80th birthday.
    Its no coincidence that a lot of the current issues with Nova started after Hayes took over as musical director from Greg.

Its no coincidence that a lot of the current issues with Nova started after Hayes took over as musical director from Greg.

Yeah, you'd think one of the actual musical geniuses like Gaughran or Pat James should have got the gig. Oh well. We'll see what happens post COVID-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lord Nelson

Hayes was past his sell by date when he went to RTÉ. Fast forward to 2020...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Homer

Yeah, you'd think one of the actual musical geniuses like Gaughran or Pat James should have got the gig. Oh well. We'll see what happens post COVID-19.

What do you expect when you have a dunce like Kevin Branigan at the helm. Hayes sold him a bullsh1t sales pitch about bringing sophistication and Experience to Nova and Brannigan swallowed it hook, line and sinker!
    What he actually brought was fart jokes and an appalling knowledge of music.

Homer wrote: »
    What do you expect when you have a dunce like Kevin Branigan at the helm. Hayes sold him a bullsh1t sales pitch about bringing sophistication and Experience to Nova and Brannigan swallowed it hook, line and sinker!

Ah now don't insult Brannigan... can't boil it all down to him.

• Advertisement

Turn on the car every morning and its usually Nova.
    Takes no more than 5mins before Lucy talks about her holes or skidmarks etc etc
    Then spotify comes goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Had to nip out last night in the van and was flicking around the stations, put Nova on, and on came Haircut 100.....ah yeah, I remember them at Donnigton alongside the other heavyweights of rock that Nova play...

George Ezra
    Soft Cell
    Duran Duran
    Human League

Joke of a station.......

I heard them advertising a gig earlier. Deftones and Gojira next June. I wonder if anyone at the station has heard a single song by either band. They certainly don't play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I heard them advertising a gig earlier. Deftones and Gojira next June. I wonder if anyone at the station has heard a single song by either band. They certainly don't play them.

They post on FB about Metallica and how great they are but I think that they only own the black album.

Sigh.......... Guys. All this giving out about the stuff Nova “should” be playing and what they were always “licensed” to play. Nothing but classic rock. And that Nova is now more commercial than anything. Nova has always been a relatively commercial station, so to speak, since it’s inception 10 years ago. There was probably more “non-playlisted” shows than there is now, yes, but in between that, when you really dig deep, nothing has changed that much bar who’s in charge. We still have Pat James, Greg Gaughran, and Kieran McGuinness who pick the songs they want to play, and the Friday Night Live shows, but outside of that, Nova is still the same commercial station it was since the day it was founded, and nothing will change that. So you can’t put the entire blame on Hayes or Branigan... if you don’t like it don’t listen. Simple 🤦*♂️

Homer wrote: »

Clearly not the only thing of Haze he swallowed.........:D

Searching yesterday while out in Wicklow...The Riverboat song was on so I left it....the knob of a "presenter" come on after the song and said"..that was Ocean Coloured Scene "

same thing last week, cant remember who it was.....clown...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

On a different note, if it true that Radio Nova let go most of their weekend only presenters because of the pandemic cutbacks, why was Luke O'Faolain taken on recently? Could Nova not have reinstated someone, if indeed they had been let go? I was reminded of this when I heard him yesterday.

On a different note, if it true that Radio Nova let go most of their weekend only presenters because of the pandemic cutbacks, why was Luke O'Faolain taken on recently? Could Nova not have reinstated someone, if indeed they had been let go? I was reminded of this when I heard him yesterday.

Is that the clown Declan...??....have to assume he's related to/sleeping with Lucy, or Haze....or a love child maybe...either way not a good presenter

Was wondering the same thing, Declan. Though Liam Quigley did tell me recently he’s no longer with the station since Covid, and presumably the freelancers too. But we can only wonder with Tony Ainscough and Peter Devlin. Maybe we’ll find out post-COVID. I think they plan to be back at some point. It all depends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Was wondering the same thing, Declan. Though Liam Quigley did tell me recently he’s no longer with the station since Covid, and presumably the freelancers too. But we can only wonder with Tony Ainscough and Peter Devlin. Maybe we’ll find out post-COVID. I think they plan to be back at some point. It all depends.

Tony is "supposed" to be back sometime this month, but sadly can't see that happening the way things are going.

Advertisement