Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fav Alcohol Free Beer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

BeerNut wrote: »
    Guinness Mid-Strength is still on the go, but only in sports club bars, by and large. The company says it won't be affected by the launch of Guinness 0.0.

I don't get the point of Guinness mid-strength Why drink it instead of the full one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Why drink it instead of the full one.
    You can drive. It's specifically a beer for drivers. Outside of golf club bars the only place I've seen it is Donheny & Nesbitt where civil servants and bankers go for pints before driving home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

The 0-0 Guinness hasn’t made it to my local Tesco yet. Would it be in the Carry-Out off licenses at this stage???

Masala wrote: »
    The 0-0 Guinness hasn’t made it to my local Tesco yet. Would it be in the Carry-Out off licenses at this stage???

It’s not out until November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I must admit, when I heard about this I went through the same thought process as I did with the meat-free Beyond Burger - sacrilege, abomination, why mess with the real thing, etc.

But just like the Beyond Burger, I will definitely try it. (the burger was actually quite convincing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It’s not out until November.

Pretty sure it will be in supermarkets next week, as in from Tuesday or so

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,586 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The Guinness N/A I'm looking forward to. I'm a bit of a light weight with Guinness so having 1 proper pint and 1 of these will suit be perfect!

antodeco wrote: »
    The Guinness N/A I'm looking forward to. I'm a bit of a light weight with Guinness so having 1 proper pint and 1 of these will suit be perfect!

Or mix the 2, for 2% guinness. You could dilute 8 cans into 16, so you probably wouldn't be as hungover. Alchemy. I'm a genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭sporina

Moretti Zero - wow its fab - the best so far for sure.. wow.. but its €€€ almost €7 for 3 bottles 33 cl - yikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

sporina wrote: »
    Moretti Zero - wow its fab - the best so far for sure.. wow.. but its €€€ almost €7 for 3 bottles 33 cl - yikes

€5 for 3 bottles in Tesco

• Advertisement

€5 for 3 bottles in Tesco

what tesco? i got mine in tesco..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Punk AF. I found it very tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

what tesco? i got mine in tesco..

Bought it in Tesco Castlebar about an hour ago, would have thought it would be the same in all of them, can't find it on their website though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Various sources say November for Irish market next week for UK market.

Bought it in Tesco Castlebar about an hour ago, would have thought it would be the same in all of them, can't find it on their website though

awe ok - i bought these about a week ago... maybe the price was different then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Kinnegar low tide last night. 0.5% Pale Ale. It was nice and I’d get it again if going for a low alcohol beer

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

listermint wrote: »
    Various sources say November for Irish market next week for UK market.

I thought it was the other way round. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

The aldi roadworks alcohol free version is very close. I find it has the same body of a real ipa and it does not have the wort aftertaste you get with alcohol free beer.

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I get Early Start regularly, it has a nice little hop kick. On the same shelf they usually have Baltika zero alcohol lager which is also very good.

Early Start by Roadworks - what kind of beer is this? larger, IPA or..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

Anyone manage to spot this yet? The Guinness 0.0

Curious if it's been rolled out, although they say November. Have heard of people having it.

Anyone see it in stock anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Early Start by Roadworks - what kind of beer is this? larger, IPA or..?

It's classed as an IPA but I'd say more of a Pale ale. Still nice though.

Get Real wrote: »

Curious if it's been rolled out, although they say November. Have heard of people having it.

I went in a few places looking for it and nothing yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Aldi over here now have a couple of n/a beers that have sprung up in the last few weeks - Rheinbacker 0.0 is decent, I actually really like the normal version so no surprise the n/a version agrees with me.

Get Real wrote: »

Dunnes should have it next week. I imagine most places will too.

I find all the 0.0% ones have a sort of tomatoey taste off them, none of them are nice to me, awful really. You need the 0.5 to kill that weird taste you get in the 0.0s. The Aldi ones that came out recently are quite good, they do a 500ml 0.5% IPA which is nice.
    Has anyone seen guinness zero in the shops yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

Lots of great suggestions in the thread. I had my phone out checking suggestions while looking through the selection while doing my grocery shopping!
    matrim wrote: »
    Had a Kinnegar low tide last night. 0.5% Pale Ale. It was nice and I’d get it again if going for a low alcohol beer

I had one of these last night. It was lovely - I like that style of drink.
    However, is it a bit expensive? I think it was a little over 3 euro in my SuperValu. Not sure if it was a pricing error or if that was right.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

However, is it a bit expensive? I think it was a little over 3 euro in my SuperValu. Not sure if it was a pricing error or if that was right.

Little bit expensive, it's €2.65 in Martins and normally around that price elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Lots of great suggestions in the thread. I had my phone out checking suggestions while looking through the selection while doing my grocery shopping!

I think I got it for around 2.70 in O'Briens.

Not alcohol free but I like Northern lights from Whiplash at 2.5%. Unfortunately it's closer to 4 euro a can and just not worth it at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's a craft option, it's not going to be cheaper than their other ones really. It's the same with Wicklow Wolf Moonlight - it's priced the same as their other 330ml.

Without having had the Kinnegar option, I'd suggest the Roadworks Early Start, which is also a Pale Ale. I'll say again, tastes nicer than the alcoholic Roadworks offerings imo.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's a craft option, it's not going to be cheaper than their other ones really. It's the same with Wicklow Wolf Moonlight - it's priced the same as their other 330ml.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking that it looked to be the same price as the alcohol versions, so was wondering if it was an error.
    Spotted it's a bit cheaper elsewhere now, so I'll keep an eye out for it.

I'll try the other recommendation too, thanks. Have a few random ones in the fridge to get through!

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Without having had the Kinnegar option, I'd suggest the Roadworks Early Start, which is also a Pale Ale. I'll say again, tastes nicer than the alcoholic Roadworks offerings imo.

Picked up a few bottles of Early Start. Lovely, will make it a regular.

When I was in Aldi, I spotted a few bottles of Maisels Weissbier. I picked one up to try, and was very impressed. 1.46 a bottle.
    Turns out it was a special buy for Oktoberfest the last week in September, so they might not have it in a lot of places. I'm not sure if I'd rank it ahead of Paulaner until I try it again, but it's won some award for best non-alcoholic beer in its style. I'll see if there are any left next time I'm in.

Also tried a Foxes Rock IPA during the week. Strong citrus flavour, with a bitter after taste. My wife liked it, but I wouldn't be rushing to buy it again given the other options I've tried.

Had the Guinness 0.5% larger - pure brew.. its good quality for sure... unlike Peroni or Barvaria.. but not sure I would buy it again... it has a flavour I didn't like - almost Ale like..

Moretti is top dog so far..

Have yet to try Krombacher 00

Had the Guinness 0.5% larger - pure brew.. its good quality for sure... unlike Peroni or Barvaria.. but not sure I would buy it again... it has a flavour I didn't like - almost Ale like..
    Don't tell anyone, but it's really an ale ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

smithwicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

smithwicks

I think you'll find you meant Budweiser.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Don't tell anyone, but it's really an ale ;)

but its called a "larger" not an "ale"?

but its called a "larger" not an "ale"?
    Lager, not larger, and big companies lie to their customers all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

Aglomerado wrote: »
    It's classed as an IPA but I'd say more of a Pale ale. Still nice though.

Second that, had a couple last night and it's one of a very short list that's very like the regular version, tasty too.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭flanzer

Any sign of the Guinness 0.0 in the supermarkets or off licences?

flanzer wrote: »

loads of people have been asking about this - why doesn't someone just ask about it in an off licence or something?

• Advertisement

Moretti is top dog so far..

Have yet to try Krombacher 00

Had krombacher 0 for the first time last week and I will be re-purchasing .

loads of people have been asking about this - why doesn't someone just ask about it in an off licence or something?

My localy offie said its not released yet but watch the next few weeks. They dont seem to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

flanzer wrote: »

Tis is the press release

Guinness 0.0 will be available in 500 ml can format in off-licences and supermarkets from November 2020 at a RRP of €6 for a 4-pack and will be available in pubs across Ireland and Great Britain from Spring 2021

So I suppose Flanzer and others are just asking if anyone has seen it on sale yet as its now November. Though I suspect that as soon as a few have it, all other stores will have it within a couple of days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

https://twitter.com/GuinnessIreland/status/1323204559402127363?s=20

9th of November in Ireland according to the Guinness twitter account :)

B0X wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/GuinnessIreland/status/1323204559402127363?s=20

9th of November in Ireland according to the Guinness twitter account :)

Nice one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Hopefully you can buy single cans of it, I'd rather try it first than buy four cans I'm not gonna drink.

Finally, the non-alcoholic beer we've all been waiting for.

FB-IMG-1604690982974.jpg

Carlsberg can - almost as nice as the bottles woo hoo.. so much cheaper.. glad its not the same as Heineken - I found the bottles ok but the cans awful

Spotted a 4 pack of Hoegaarden 0.0 in Tesco today. Tastes pretty similar to the regular version except for having a very sweet body. Would probably buy again.

20201107-181935.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

irish_goat wrote: »
    Spotted a 4 pack of Hoegaarden 0.0 in Tesco today. Tastes pretty similar to the regular version except for having a very sweet body. Would probably buy again.

20201107-181935.jpg

Will definitely give that one a go, cheers!

Advertisement