Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Scotland v Ireland, Murrayfield, Sat 2.30pm **See Mod Warning Post #1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Did BOD offer any insight/analysis about any players bar He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named? If you nitpick, you will always find some minor mistakes. It'd be interesting if BOD commented on any of the major mistakes made by other players.

No. He was asked why he thought Zebo was swapped for Luke and did he think Zebo did much wrong. I would assume he could find a fault with most of the players if he was asked.

Funny enough one of the things he did mention was the "chirping" in Wayne Barnes' ear - one of the worst culprits he said was SOB and the fact that he has a high pitched voice which could be annoying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Working at 7pm tomorrow so no drink for me. Hopefully we do it but I think Wales will do it

Stheno wrote: »
    Why is ending up on your back after a tackle such a big no no?

I would think it leaves you badly positioned to provide clean, quick ball. Joe likes you on your front where you can drive forward and fight the defender.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Stheno wrote: »
    Why is ending up on your back after a tackle such a big no no?

easier to get the ball ripped from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Very interested listening to BOD tonight on Newstalk.

Says that Zebo (I know, I know) has a weakness when he's tackled. Not great at ball presentation - the last game he was taken out by Warburton, was blown off another one and the biggest cardinal sin of all - he ended up on his back (a big no no under Joe). BOD reckons he doesn't fight hard enough when he's tackled to present easy, quick ball.

Interesting for me as having not played in years, it's good to get an experts view on something that you mightn't give as much attention to.

I dunno, in general I'm not that keen on very recently retired players commenting on other players faults, especially with all the provincial rivalry in Ireland. Would BOD go publicly on record and make the same comments about Luke Fitzerald if it turns out he has the same issue??

I didn't listen to the interview, but it seems the typical kind of headline grabbing comment that the media seek out in Ireland.

I fully understand the rational behind Zebo being left out for this weekend, but there were a host of other players who played relatively poorly last weekend too. I wish people would just give the guy a break, he'll be gutted enough about missing out on the side this weekend, without the media hauling out BOD for his comments too.

Now, I'm not in any way suggesting any malice on the part of BOD, he was no doubt just responding to the Q he was asked, but I do sort of feel it's a bit like asking the recently bereaved wife how she plans to spend the life insurance money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Please please please no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭twinytwo

mfceiling wrote: »
    Very interested listening to BOD tonight on Newstalk.

Says that Zebo (I know, I know) has a weakness when he's tackled. Not great at ball presentation - the last game he was taken out by Warburton, was blown off another one and the biggest cardinal sin of all - he ended up on his back (a big no no under Joe). BOD reckons he doesn't fight hard enough when he's tackled to present easy, quick ball.

Interesting for me as having not played in years, it's good to get an experts view on something that you mightn't give as much attention to.

going on last weeks performance the first person to be dropped would have been sexton.... so the disussion is kind of pointless

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Working at 7pm tomorrow so no drink for me. Hopefully we do it but I think Wales will do it

i think you giving wales too much credit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Nerves jangling ahead of tomorrow. I'm hopeful rather than optimistic that we'll put a score on the Scots. I'm really nervous about what Wales will do to Italy.

twinytwo wrote: »
    going on last weeks performance the first person to be dropped would have been sexton.... so the disussion is kind of pointless

I think it's more of a discussion because one player has been replaced by another. Added to the fact that BOD was asked why he thought Joe might have made this switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,054 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I honestly think France are going to give England a run for their money tomorrow. I can see Ireland winning by 15-20 points too. Maybe I'm being blind, but never know.

Be honest I be more worried about Wales but I think its going be close

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

In Edinburgh now for my first Ireland away game. There are some amount of Irish fans here :D the three sisters bar in cowgate seems to be the place to be. Not feeling particularly confident of a championship tomorrow but there are definitely some twists and turns left. Can't wait!

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    There are some amount of Irish fans here

I'm kind of there. I mean, I'm at home, but I'm sitting here drinking Glenmorangie and reading your post so it's kind of the same as being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Lot of negativity about Ireland's title chances in contrast to the perceived overconfidence last weekend. Scotland have lost every game. I'd rather be playing the strongest Scottish team than the weakest French team any day. I hope Ireland go out there like men posessed to atone for last week, show us the clinical attacking performance they've been threatening to deliver and beat them by 20+ points.

France have conceded 36 points, the same as Ireland. Really can't see England putting more daylight between them and France than we should put between us and Scotland. The biggest danger for us is Italian capitulation and defensive brain farts with Wales going try mad especially without Parisse playing. An agressive and uncompromising Welsh mindset to score tries is dangerous for us. Can't wait for tomorrow! It'll be a fascinating day of rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

I honestly think France are going to give England a run for their money tomorrow. I can see Ireland winning by 15-20 points too. Maybe I'm being blind, but never know.

Be honest I be more worried about Wales but I think its going be close

Bound to be one surprise and think France might be the ones too

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Berticus

Ireland to play a conservative game and kick a load of penalties giving us a nice points difference! 5 penalties is +15, not to be sniffed at! I reckon half time score will be something like 9-6 to Ireland!

Final scores...
    Ireland 24-12 Scotland +12
    Wales 41-Italy 10 +31
    England 20 France 15. +5

Ireland champions!!

Can't wait to look at my predictions TM night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Could our best chance of winning the tournament be the following:

Wales absolutely thump Italy.
    Ireland now have no choice but to absolutely go for it against Scotland.
    This high risk strategy works.
    Leaving England too much to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I think joe got the team wrong for tomorrow..... realisticly we need to score tries if we want any chance of winning this and a lot of them.

we should have gone with fitz and earls on the wings, reddan at 9 sob at 8 tod at 7 and henderson at 4... put bowe and murray on the bench

should be throwing the kitchen sink at scotland

Changing 1/3rd of a team for a must win game would be lunacy. You can't expect them to gel within a week. Couple of changes to freshen things up is grand. Think we'll win but probably between 7-10 after a hard close game. Probably not enough to win the championship but that would still be a very good result, its Murrayfield after all. Scotland rarely lose by much there.

Berticus wrote: »
    Ireland to play a conservative game and kick a load of penalties giving us a nice points difference! 5 penalties is +15, not to be sniffed at! I reckon half time score will be something like 9-6 to Ireland!

Final scores...
    Ireland 24-12 Scotland +12
    Wales 41-Italy 10 +31
    England 20 France 15. +5

Ireland champions!!

Can't wait to look at my predictions TM night!!

Yeah this is the way I think and hope it will go.

I don't think we will have any great lead for a good while and I doubt we will "throw caution to the wind". I'd reckon Schmidt is drilling into the lads to focus on winning first and taking all the 3 points they can get. Worry about the championship if the last 20 allows it and I think it will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I'm hoping Bowe has been playing a big joke over the last few games and will whip out the game of the century tomorrow in a "gotcha! I'm not nearing the end it was all an act" type fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I can't wait to see how this pans out

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think while Zebo is a better finisher I think Luke Fitz is a better creater, he has played 12 and 13 afterall.

Zebo hasn't taken the fall for anything he's done specifically but he's lost out as Fitz is more like to trouble solid defences more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

I literally can't sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

19543261 wrote: »
    I literally can't sleep.

Me too. Not because of the game, but because there is a drunk man outside yelling at a parked car. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

chupacabra wrote: »
    Me too. Not because of the game, but because there is a drunk man outside yelling at a parked car. :(

Not sure if Tralee or Latvia

clsmooth wrote: »
    Changing 1/3rd of a team for a must win game would be lunacy. You can't expect them to gel within a week. Couple of changes to freshen things up is grand. Think we'll win but probably between a very 7-10 after a hard close game. Probably not enough to win the championship but that would still begood result, its Murrayfield after all. Scotland rarely lose by much there.

Says it all really.

Same team as before means we will play the same and wont get enough points to win the 6 nations... thus whats the point

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Says it all really.

Same team as before means we will play the same and wont get enough points to win the 6 nations... thus whats the point

Major changes could very easily result in losing the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Post breakfast nerves kicking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Major changes could very easily result in losing the game

At very best it would be a disjointed game where we struggle to find rhythm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ireland by 10-15

Advertisement