Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Scotland v Ireland, Murrayfield, Sat 2.30pm **See Mod Warning Post #1**

Options
  • 20-03-2015 5:05pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭

groundskeeper-willie.jpg?w=650endaKenny2012focusedPointing_large.jpg

The teams:
    Scotland: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 Tommy Seymour, 13 Mark Bennett, 12 Matt Scott, 11 Dougie Fife, 10 Finn Russell, 9 Greig Laidlaw (c), 8 David Denton, 7 Blair Cowan, 6 Adam Ashe, 5 Jonny Gray, 4 Jim Hamilton, 3 Euan Murray, 2 Ross Ford, 1 Ryan Grant.
    Replacements: 16 Fraser Brown, 17 Alasdair Dickinson, 18 Geoff Cross, 19 Tim Swinson, 20 Rob Harley, 21 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, 22 Greig Tonks, 23 Tim Visser

Ireland: 15 Rob Kearney, 14 Tommy Bowe, 13 Jared Payne, 12 Robbie Henshaw, 11 Luke Fitzgerald, 10 Jonathan Sexton, 9 Conor Murray, 8 Jamie Heaslip, 7 Sean O'Brien, 6 Peter O'Mahony, 5 Paul O'Connell (c), 4 Devin Toner, 3 Mike Ross, 2 Rory Best, 1 Cian Healy.
    Replacements: 16 Sean Cronin, 17 Jack McGrath, 18 Martin Moore, 19 Iain Henderson, 20 Jordi Murphy, 21 Eoin Reddan, 22 Ian Madigan, 23 Felix Jones

Scotland hasn't been a happy hunting ground for Ireland, though current previous results are pretty good.

Previous 6N Murrayfield results
    2013: Scotland won 12-8 at Murrayfield
    2011: Ireland won 21-18 at Murrayfield
    2009: Ireland won 22-15 at Murrayfield

Scotland's recent home form:
    Their only home wins over the last 2 seasons have been against Japan, Tonga, and Argentina but their losses have usually only been by a score or so.

Out of South Africa, Australia, England, Italy, Wales, New Zealand, and France though (who all beat Scotland in Scotland) only England and South Africa have managed to beat them by more than 9 points (Eng 20 points 2014 6N and SA by 28 in Nov 2013) in the last 2 seasons. So winning big in Scotland isn't an easy thing to do especially this season with Vern Cotter on board. Their biggest home loss all season is to NZ by only 8 points! Even Paddy Power has Ireland at -8 for the game

Goal Kicking:
    Scotland haven't missed a kick at goal this comp with Laidlaw 13/13 and Russel 1/1 compared to Sexton's 14/16 and Madigan is 2/2 (Keatley is 5/5)

Lineout:
    The lineout will be a big area as Ireland crumbled at key times last week but overall are quite good, Scotland are equally good and also very capable of disrupting our lineouts.
    Scotland 38 won/6 lost, on their throw in, and caused opposition to lose 8 of their throws
    Ireland 43 won/8 lost, on our throw in, and caused opposition to lose 9 of their throws

The 6N Table:
    England +37pd, 11 tries
    Ireland +33pd, 4 tries
    Wales +12pd, 5 tries
    If two or more teams finish the Championship with the same number points, the winner is decided on match-points difference (subtracting match-points 'against' from match-points 'for' in all Championship matches). If there is still no winner, then it is awarded to the team who scored the most tries during the Championship.

Man of the Match: Jarred Payne :pac:

MOD WARNING: Because of the day that's in it we will not be dealing with infractions with cards or warnings. The thread will move too fast for that to work. Instead ANY breach of the forum charter that we consider serious will be dealt with a 2 day ban (or longer based on the severity or previous record). Consider this your final warning. Tip: if you aren't sure, don't post it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Well done CFH.

I don't know what way to feel about this. I'm confident of a win and 4 from 5 is a good return for any 6N but I think missing out on the championship on points difference will really suck the satisfaction out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm not too bothered if we lose the Championship on points difference, what I'd like to see is a good game of rugby with see some decent inventive back play, and some good leadership on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Whatever about winning the championship, the first thing is to win! Keeping with today's theme, it would be a definite case of feline among the pullastrines if Scotland were to win.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Well done CFH.

I don't know what way to feel about this. I'm confident of a win and 4 from 5 is a good return for any 6N but I think missing out on the championship on points difference will really suck the satisfaction out of it.

We could even end up missing out, if we win that is, by the number of tries scored!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Docked in Scotland train to Edinburgh- Can't wait!
    We will do this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Funny I think the lineout is somewhere we may get a good return, Scotland's maul defense was atrocious against Italy, something I'm sureEasterby will have noted. Of course, we have to hit our jumpers for this to happen, Wales read our calls brilliantly last week, hopefully Scotland won't. I don't care where the tries come from, backs or forwards, just hope they come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I can see us needing to win by 15 to 20 points. Can we do it? yes, will we? probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Good man for the late write up, Catser.

I would make Ireland the ever so slight favourites based on the softer last game compared to Wales, it's time of day and the fact that England have to face France at 5PM. Lets face it; we are not going to win yet score 4 less when doing so than England will tomorrow.

Either way, it will be one hell of a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Good man for the late write up, Catser.

I would make Ireland the ever so slight favourites based on the softer last game compared to Wales, it's time of day and the fact that England have to face France at 5PM. Lets face it; we are not going to win yet score 4 less when doing so than England will tomorrow.

Either way, it will be one hell of a Saturday.

We could very easily win but do so by less than 4 more than England. Actually that's what the bookies say is the most likely event

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I've just resigned to hoping we play well and win. I can't handle the whole how can we build a point advantage and what will happen in Rome and London. My nerves are shot. Think I'll just have to be happy if we play to our best and go for the win, then let faith take its course...

It's either that or I won't sleep tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Nervous as balls for this, heading down from Dundee in the morning on the train. Thank feck they have a supporters village set up so we can watch the other games. Anyone else going? Hoping for something special from Ireland tomorrow.

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE to score a hat-trick of trys :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ireland. A billion, nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Nervous as balls for this, heading down from Dundee in the morning on the train. Thank feck they have a supporters village set up so we can watch the other games. Anyone else going? Hoping for something special from Ireland tomorrow.

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE to score a hat-trick of trys :P

In the process more than doubling his irish tally and giving the finger to the haters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I'm optimistic for tomorrow.

Cant see England beating France by any great margin. Its the Welsh we have to watch out for more than the English Imo.

God imagine losing the championship to gatland after being on a grand slam run, the horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

We should win, we will win, but it we aren't going to put enough points on them to win the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Ireland. A billion, nil.

Don't be unrealistic.

It's a long time since scotland drew a blank in Murrayfield.

Flipper22 wrote: »
    Don't be unrealistic.

Have a good feeling about tomorrow! :pac:

Wang King wrote: »
    We should win, we will win, but it we aren't going to put enough points on them to win the championship.

I'd say it's very finely balanced and wouldn't be surprised at any of the three winning it. If the games were simultaneous I'd have Ireland and England as slight favourites. As things stand, I think England have to be favourites.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Ireland. A billion, nil.

Now thats what i call optimism.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd say it's very finely balanced and wouldn't be surprised at any of the three winning it. If the games were simultaneous I'd have Ireland and England as slight favourites. As things stand, I think England have to be favourites.

If tv wasn't such a driving force behind the game the last 3 games should be played together.

• Advertisement

mg1982 wrote: »
    Now thats what i call optimism.:D

You'd think my rant before the Wales match would have put manners on me!

#thankseveryonefornotmentioningthatafterthegame

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think we may cut loose a bit tomorrow in terms of our play (not necessarily reflected on the scoreboard though), whatever about his try scoring ability which admittedly isn't good, Fitzgerald has the skills to break the opposition line and that is something our backline has missed up until now. He could ve a jey man tomorrow.

What we need though is a platform and we need our big carriers to get over that gainline and for quick ball to be generated. For that reason I'd have been tempted to start Cronin and Henderson. Still if Healy, O'Brien and Heaslip get us front foot ball then we may be in business. As ever it's the forwards that will win us the game. It was ever thus.

We need at least a 15 point win, but one note of optimism is that as poor as France have been they haven't bee poor in defence and England may have to rely on the hitherto unreliable, but otherwise excellent, George Ford to kick his goals. It's key France stay within striking distance though as it could get to a point where 3 points is no use to them even if it is to us.

As for Wales I expext them to win by between 20 and 30. As long as it isn't much more than that I can live with it.

Tomorrow will be some day!

.ak wrote: »
    If tv wasn't such a driving force behind the game the last 3 games should be played together.

No doubt about that. But then from a personal point of view I love the last Saturday rugby marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

Don't be unrealistic.

last year no? lost to england to nil?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I think joe got the team wrong for tomorrow..... realisticly we need to score tries if we want any chance of winning this and a lot of them.

we should have gone with fitz and earls on the wings, reddan at 9 sob at 8 tod at 7 and henderson at 4... put bowe and murray on the bench

should be throwing the kitchen sink at scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭homecouldbhere

All my nervousness has dissipated compared to 7 days ago. I'm looking forward to a good game of rugby from us and the scots, and I think the England France game could be a belter.

Biggest heart-sinking moment for me in the last 48 hours was when I realised the bookies fancy us as only 8 points better than Scotland. These boffins are rarely too far off. History of their home record would also suggest that any victory margin around the 15 point mark is a big ask in Murrayfield.

Could be an 8 point victory for us. (After Wales winning by 30 in Rome).

Then to a man and woman we're all roaring at the French defence to work their arses off with 5 minutes to go against England, with England leading by 3!

2moro will be a great day of sport on the box. Whatever happens will miss the six nations when its over. Maybe its not the highest quality of rugby compared to the southern hemisphere but still makes compelling viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Very interested listening to BOD tonight on Newstalk.

Says that Zebo (I know, I know) has a weakness when he's tackled. Not great at ball presentation - the last game he was taken out by Warburton, was blown off another one and the biggest cardinal sin of all - he ended up on his back (a big no no under Joe). BOD reckons he doesn't fight hard enough when he's tackled to present easy, quick ball.

Interesting for me as having not played in years, it's good to get an experts view on something that you mightn't give as much attention to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Did BOD offer any insight/analysis about any players bar He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named? If you nitpick, you will always find some minor mistakes. It'd be interesting if BOD commented on any of the major mistakes made by other players.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mfceiling wrote: »
    Very interested listening to BOD tonight on Newstalk.

Says that Zebo (I know, I know) has a weakness when he's tackled. Not great at ball presentation - the last game he was taken out by Warburton, was blown off another one and the biggest cardinal sin of all - he ended up on his back (a big no no under Joe). BOD reckons he doesn't fight hard enough when he's tackled to present easy, quick ball.

Interesting for me as having not played in years, it's good to get an experts view on something that you mightn't give as much attention to.

Why is ending up on your back after a tackle such a big no no?

Advertisement