Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail September Timetable Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

On the new pdf timetable it shows some maynooth services start from grand canal dock but on the journey planner these are not show
    Which one is a mistake

Note in the footer: Times in italics indicate a connecting train.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

There were some last minute adjustments which sees several off-peak Maynooth and Drogheda/Dundalk trains operating to/from Connolly only on weekdays aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Of course there was peak alterations will follow soon!
    Only question though is why are they terminating the train's at Connolly at the weekends. It actually make's sense during the week since this would take those train's off the loop line which do block up services alot but I don't know why they're only doing this at weekends though.

Suggestion elsewhere is the Pearse roof works might be a reason but to be honest I don't think when complete they will restore the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

GM228 wrote: »
    There were some last minute adjustments which sees several off-peak Maynooth and Drogheda/Dundalk trains operating to/from Connolly only on weekdays aswell.
    Yes, don't know how I had not been spotted before.
    All weekday suburban trains from Drogheda after 10am till 3pm now cease at Connolly. And leaving Pearse, all weekday trains from 10am till 3.45pm require an additional change at Connolly. So much longer journey times from Pearse.
    So the Northern suburban line passengers have been really shafted by this timetable. Longer journey times in the weekday peak morning (despite less stops), lots of crawling into Connolly. Off peak weekday journeys now all much longer. Saturday services all now much much longer (as per previous post) for same passengers.
    Some evening peak services are 1-2 minutes shorter, but that's it.
    Despite what IE think, passengers will leave eventually if you make their suburban journeys so long. I fully accept we need to get used to changing transport modes (I walk, train and cycle[Dublin bike] 5 days a week). But the train part of the journey is getting longer every year, with no improvements in customer experience. More mechanical failures, more signal faults, more timetable paddling leading to long dwell times everyday outside Connolly and Malahide.
    The NTA should be held accountable, and should face train passengers to explain what is going on.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Suggestion elsewhere is the Pearse roof works might be a reason but to be honest I don't think when complete they will restore the schedule.

There will be a few weekend closures to facilitate the roof works, but that has nothing to do with it, the NTA want the commuter trains operating to/from Connolly bar weekday peak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

There will be a few weekend closures to facilitate the roof works, but that has nothing to do with it, the NTA want the commuter trains operating to/from Connolly bar weekday peak.

They give any reason to why or its because we said so reasoning?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Bray Head wrote: »
    There are five level crossings in Dublin 4. The new timetable means that one train will be going through every five minutes. This will leave the barriers down around 20 minutes per hour all day, including rush hour.

This means no vehicular access at all. Not just cars, but buses, bicycles and delivery vehicles too. There will be traffic chaos.

Please note: a large new primary school has just opened in Sandymount, and there are plans to put several thousand new dwellings on the glass bottle site too.

This whole plan simply will not work without biting the bullet and building an overpass at Merrion Gates and one other point closer to the city.

The Merion Gate plan was good, but an underpass would work as well with less visual impact. The road must rise or fall be 5 metres to cross the line.

The only other place that I think could be crossed is Serpentine Ave with the railway rising by 3 or 4 metres, and the road dipping by 1 or two metres. There is enough distance to have a gradient between Landown and Sandymount stations without too much problem, and dropping the road by a metre r two again is not much. The stations would be unaffected.

Just an idea.

[Edit: Checked the gradient - a rise of 3 m in 350m each direction so about 1%. ]

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The Merion Gate plan was good, but an underpass would work as well with less visual impact.

you run the risk of flooding issues with an underpass though, especially with rising sea levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

you run the risk of flooding issues with an underpass though, especially with rising sea levels.

Jaysus really? How in gods name does the channel tunnel survive :rolleyes:

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

One fantastic reason is that the Channel Tunnel does not come above ground level until it is several kilometres inland. Dublin Port Tunnel has more chance of flooding than the Channel Tunnel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Adequate drainage should solve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's not in a very low lying area with a shallow bay 10m away or on a road that's prone to flooding...

highdef wrote: »
    One fantastic reason is that the Channel Tunnel does not come above ground level until it is several kilometres inland. Dublin Port Tunnel has more chance of flooding than the Channel Tunnel!

I’m sure it’s not beyond the scope of man to figure out a solution, would you not agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

According to here (http://davidhealy.dublin13.com/?p=876) Jarrett Walker has described the potential 15+ minute connections brought up as ‘bad timetabling’.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What's this about many commuter trains no longer stopping at Portmarnock?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Not so. The original plan had an underpass just metres from the sea at Merrion Gates, so flooding is not such a risk according to the planners.

The crossing is quite a distance from the sea, going from the two car parks, but I take the point that flooding is a risk, but it is a risk in the whole area, which is just metres above sea level as it is.

The sea wall needs raising as it is, but that is another issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Not so.  The original plan had an underpass just metres from the sea at Merrion Gates, so flooding is not such a risk according to the planners.  

The 'original plan' as you describe it came down in favour of a bridge.

Any plan that involves digging on the foreshore is fraught with risk and potential delay via the planning and EIS system.

Infini wrote: »
    They give any reason to why or its because we said so reasoning?

Less interference to DART traffic and attributed delay minute's at Pearse when trains are late apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Are they giving us their word that when connecting trains are late, the Maynooth/northern trains will wait? Especially when the connecting trains are listed on the timetable and especially when there's an hour gap between trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

still no notices in the local station about the timetable change.

• Advertisement

With regards to Merrion Gates that plan has been dropped.

An underpass was mentioned, but that was only to be a small pedestrian/cyclist underpass at the gates with a road over bridge further north linking Strand and Merrion Roads.

No road over or under the railway will or can be provided at Merrion Gates themselves.

thomasj wrote: »
    Are they giving us their word that when connecting trains are late, the Maynooth/northern trains will wait? Especially when the connecting trains are listed on the timetable and especially when there's an hour gap between trains.

I understand they will wait yes.

I’m hearing the new timetable is in bother. Anyone else hear anything?
    *paging GM228*:D

I’m hearing the new timetable is in bother. Anyone else hear anything?
    *paging GM228*:D

Issues with DART drivers may be what your "hearing", all I'll say is you may have perfect hearing! :)

Issues with DART drivers may be what your "hearing", all I'll say is you may have perfect hearing! :)

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Am I correct in saying that when I checked the timetable pdf online a few days ago that it showed most weekend Maynooth trains going to/from GCD. Then in the last day or two it was replaced with a timetable containing lots of italics, signalling the loss of service to Tara and Pearse (and GCD)?

Is there any operational reason for Maynooth and Northern Commuter trains not to serve Tara and Pearse off peak and at weekends? Or are journeys being made needlessly longer? 10 minute DARTs are only 06:50hrs-20:00hrs approximately, Monday to Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Actually wish they'd just delete the itallic times. People are going to misread them and think the trains still there. Theyre unintentionally misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Surprise surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Infini wrote: »
    Actually wish they'd just delete the itallic times. People are going to misread them and think the trains still there. Theyre unintentionally misleading.

The journey planner has too much padding. For example, it says on Saturday night the last DART to meet the Maynooth train is 22.51, whereas the pdf timetable says the last connection in italics is 23.06.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying that when I checked the timetable pdf online a few days ago that it showed most weekend Maynooth trains going to/from GCD. Then in the last day or two it was replaced with a timetable containing lots of italics, signalling the loss of service to Tara and Pearse (and GCD)?

No, the current PDF uploaded a few days ago has not changed.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Is there any operational reason for Maynooth and Northern Commuter trains not to serve Tara and Pearse off peak and at weekends?

I suppose there is an argument to be made for off peak weekday services as the 10 minute DART is in operation, but I can't see any logical reason for weekends.

Advertisement