Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's 24h bus services

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

This was the 41 bus stop last night loading up. It was completely full to the top and was unable to pick up until after Santry. Some airport workers were left behind.

This is now happening on a weekly basis on the 41 and my friend takes the 15 and has similar stories. With the €2 fares and severe lack of taxis, there needs to be an improvement of the frequency of these buses from every 30 minutes to every 20 or 15 minutes on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The 39a also going past full at 1am and 1.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Perhaps they should make the 16 24 hours as well. It would also be good to have a nighttime route serve the highly residential areas of Ballinteer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

As more phases of BusConnects are rolled out the frequency on the core sections of each Spine at night time should rise.

I would expect as each spine is launched to see at least two of the spine routes running 24 hours a day.

I don’t see additional routes being added or frequency increased outside of the BusConnects rollout - that’s how the NTA is funding them.

The A and B spines don’t happen until 2024 unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

There are extra buses on the 41 on Fridays/Saturdays to help out with the loadings. The problem is driver availability I think. I've driven them as overtime and still trying to recover 😴

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I notice this after late bar/niteclub closing time right up to 4am too on Friday/Saturday nights as everyone spilling out of venues at the same time. The 39A is full by Aston Quay and just passes us by at Essex Quay. Nightmare trying to get taxis at that time then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

In fairness , 2 39as passed me by within minutes of each other , around 2am on Friday night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Is it acceptable that buses are now consistently leaving people behind every weekend night though?

This wouldn't be tolerated at other times of the day, so why is it ok then?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I thought the timetable had them at only one every half hour during the night? Twice I've been left behind and the RTPI then said next bus approx 30 minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Yeah they're every half hour , but there are usually inspectors on during the night , that put on extra buses when it gets busy. I have seen 39as in pairs heading through blanch at all hours of the night , on Friday and Saturday

I report it to Dublin bus see what they say. Also don't forget the N4 from Spencer dock will also be 24 hours from the 29th. Will probably take longer about an hour during the night , but that's another option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It'll be great for when there's events on in the Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Hopefully so, though I'd fear it'd just be 300 people queueing for a sparsely scheduled bus, with consequent hassle and general scrummaging, tortuous loading times with driver interaction ("do you go to X, how much?" etc.)

The Luas can be unpleasant after an event, but it as least has the advantage that people can get on very quickly and squash in, and there's generally another one along quite soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

If they can find drivers for the new N4, they can find drivers for the existing services. The same goes for future 24hr services, existing services need to meet demand before expanding.

If they could start the N4 from Abbey Street (even just overnight) it would probally help a lot. (I don't follow Bus Connects so I am sure somoene will tell me there is a reason Sepencer Dock is used).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

If DB and GAI are struggling for drivers they could always try to use recruitment agencies to fill the gaps. Don't think that would go down well with unions though particularly for DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

They could always try paying a better wage and making the job more attractive. There are so many driving jobs out there right now, recruitment agencies aren't likely to be of much use to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Frankly, I don't think that's really a valid argument against additional services like this one for the 3Arena. Sure, there's capacity issues after every major event in any major city, but I haven't attended an event anywhere in the world where what you're describing hasn't been a feature of the public transport services as a result of such events taking place. It's a stupid point intended to make it seem like the 3Arena wouldn't benefit from the services of the N4, when the reality is that it will benefit people attending events in the 3Arena to the tune of a service every 20minutes/half an hour - that's an improvement, whatever way you want to dice it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That won't find them any more drivers; nor would the unions care.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭drivingmissdaisy

Pay and terms are shite

155 is next up

might get it going but remember the shifts change in a few months from work outs to shifts will a "lunch" break

all new drivers exiting training center have contract that they will work Night shift only

LOL good luck getting drivers at the current pay rates!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement