Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's 24h bus services

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

p_haugh wrote: »
    Just a suggestion to any mods here,
    the thread title could do with an update
    since the 24 hour routes are in operation now!

MOD: True, updated, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It's nice to know that the 145 will become a 24 hour service in January. Having it to Charlesland in Greystones is interesting since the 84N already goes there from town. Would that route will be retained from January onwards when the 145 goes into it's new timetable? Also will the 145 still depart from Heuston Station when it leaves the CC?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭Joker2019

Nitelinks driver sign up to do it.

Service drivers are given the opportunity to go home before the new year.

Yes I know that but I don't see the point on the service finishing at 2200 and then re starting at 0000. I dont get why the service would have a 2hr gap. Surely the drivers doing the 15 for the early hours of NYD will have to sign on NYE.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's nice to know that the 145 will become a 24 hour service in January. Having it to Charlesland in Greystones is interesting since the 84N already goes there from town. Would that route will be retained from January onwards when the 145 goes into it's new timetable? Also will the 145 still depart from Heuston Station when it leaves the CC?

Where is this made public? Can't find anything anywhere.

Overlapping Nitelinks have been canned for the existing two services.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

hurl34 wrote: »
    New 145 timetable in January and it will have a 24 hour service, the new post 2330 service will run too and from Charelsland greystones to city centre, dont know where in CC
    L1011 wrote: »
    Where is this made public? Can't find anything anywhere.

Overlapping Nitelinks have been canned for the existing two services.

First mentioned by hurl34

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Question redirected to them then!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Here is the latest news fresh from the horses mouth this morning,
    There are 2 possible 24 hour services starting in early 2020
    Either the 145 from charlesland to CC or the 155 from bray to the airport
    New timetables are done and ready to go , will be show to staff soon and be up and running by February

155 doesn't run to the Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That it doesn't but nothing stopping them changing that for night runs.... Don't know myself though have heard nothing... Funny drivers are always last to know...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

Here is the latest news fresh from the horses mouth this morning,
    There are 2 possible 24 hour services starting in early 2020
    Either the 145 from charlesland to CC or the 155 from bray to the airport
    New timetables are done and ready to go , will be show to staff soon and be up and running by February

What will the second route be? Any idea?

That it doesn't but nothing stopping them changing that for night runs.... Don't know myself though have heard nothing... Funny drivers are always last to know...

The entire point of these routes are they are standard routes that just happen to run after 12. So unless they are planning of the 155 serving the airport all day I think someone has gotten the wrong end of the stick

• Advertisement

thomasj wrote: »

I read that as there being one of those two, not two.

Expect more teeth gnashing from the 39 route corridor posters if it's either of those!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Don't see how further delay to all night 39s can be justified in favour of serving distant exurbs like Bray

cgcsb wrote: »
    Don't see how further delay to all night 39s can be justified in favour of serving distant exurbs like Bray

Lot's of people live along the N11 corridor. A 24hr service serving UCD would be very popular as would one serving other places along the N11 such as Mount Merrion, Stillorgan, Foxrock, Cabinteely, Cherrywood, Loughlinstown and Shankill. It won't just be serving Bray

If it's not the 39/a it wouldn't surprise me if it was the 66 or 67. I remember hearing that something out Lucan direction was being talked and it would probably one of the routes that extends into Kildare.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It makes a lot of sense though.

It runs to Ikea which is very near the airport, would be trivial to route it a little further to the airport.

It would add supporting frequency from the Airport to the city center along with the 41. And would open up access direct to the airport for lots of new areas.

Better option then just adding frequency to the 41 if it is already seeing heavy loadings between the city and the airport.
    The entire point of these routes are they are standard routes that just happen to run after 12. So unless they are planning of the 155 serving the airport all day I think someone has gotten the wrong end of the stick

It really doesn't make sense to stick to the daytime routes. They don't do that in London and we don't do it with the Nitelinks.

Dublin has 120 routes. There aren't going to be 120 night time routes. There are going to be 12 to 16 core nightime routes, so they need to be as flexible as possible to cover as much of the rest of the network as is reasonable.

Also take into account that traffic and congestion isn't an issue at night, so they should be able to cover longer routes in less time anyway.

BTW it is also possible that they will extend the 155 to the airport 24/7. The 16 and 41 are almost constantly jammed with passengers to and from the airport. An extra route from the city to the airport all day would give some welcome relief to them.

bk wrote: »
    BTW it is also possible that they will extend the 155 to the airport 24/7. The 16 and 41 are almost constantly jammed with passengers to and from the airport. An extra route from the city to the airport all day would give some welcome relief to them.

That's true alright but the 155 is a long enough route also none of the Donnybrook fleet is fitted with luggage racks. The 4 could be a better bet perhaps.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Several posts have been deleted from this thread as the member hurl34 was a re-reg troll who has previously been banned, many many times over a sustained period.

You may want to take this into account when deciding if you should take their posts at face value.

It runs to Ikea which is very near the airport, would be trivial to route it a little further to the airport.

It would add supporting frequency from the Airport to the city center along with the 41. And would open up access direct to the airport for lots of new areas.

Better option then just adding frequency to the 41 if it is already seeing heavy loadings between the city and the airport.

It really doesn't make sense to stick to the daytime routes. They don't do that in London and we don't do it with the Nitelinks.

Dublin has 120 routes. There aren't going to be 120 night time routes. There are going to be 12 to 16 core nightime routes, so they need to be as flexible as possible to cover as much of the rest of the network as is reasonable.

Also take into account that traffic and congestion isn't an issue at night, so they should be able to cover longer routes in less time anyway.

I agree it should go to the airport. However the last thing Dublin's mess of routes needs is more route variations. Either do it all the time or not at all

I agree it should go to the airport. However the last thing Dublin's mess of routes needs is more route variations. Either do it all the time or not at all

Many cities such as London have their own series of night buses which are bi directional and have the same fares unlike our Nitelinks. These routes are usually similar to daytime routes with slight variations and extensions. Remember at night you can alllow for longer routes as traffic conditions will be lighter and easier to predict than during the day.

For example if the 16 was to ever go 24hr I would suggest they extend it to Dundrum Luas overnight could be denoted as a separate number using a prefix for example the N16. A Bray bound bus could be the N45 or N55.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Joker2019 wrote: »
    Many cities such as London have their own series of night buses which are bi directional and have the same fares unlike our Nitelinks. These routes are usually similar to daytime routes with slight variations and extensions. Remember at night you can alllow for longer routes as traffic conditions will be lighter and easier to predict than during the day.

For example if the 16 was to ever go 24hr I would suggest they extend it to Dundrum Luas overnight could be denoted as a separate number using a prefix for example the N16. A Bray bound bus could be the N45 or N55.

DC wouldn't be too happy....

VTs out on the 39N tonight (Saturday night /Sunday morning )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Just off the 15. Excellent service. No trouble or hassle on board whatsoever. I actually fell asleep against the window but did wake up before my stop to have a chat with a young lady who fell asleep on my shoulder.

Roll on more 24 hour bus routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Just off the 15. Excellent service. No trouble or hassle on board whatsoever. I actually fell asleep against the window but did wake up before my stop to have a chat with a young lady who fell asleep on my shoulder.

Roll on more 24 hour bus routes.

Great to hear.

This is actually the the norm with such services,and if the wailers and screamers can be silenced for a while,I would see the service expanding and becoming "normal",as it should have been a decade ago.

Roll On +1

:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Should really be doing away with opening and closing times altogether in my opinion and allow alcohol to be sold in bars, restaurants, clubs, off licences and supermarkets 24/7. But that's a separate debate really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Joker2019 wrote: »
    Should really be doing away with opening and closing times altogether in my opinion and allow alcohol to be sold in bars, restaurants, clubs, off licences and supermarkets 24/7. But that's a separate debate really.

Should be. But the Vintners are a powerful lobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Certain outer suburban routes (105,285, 111 etc) in London run as a 24-hour service serving the same route all day.

The night buses run from Trafalgar Square to the outer suburbs 7 days a week

Someone has put up screenshots of the trial "ghosts" for RTPI on the 66. This is the route I personally think has to be next for no scientific reason whatsoever of course :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah they were on the journey planner today but have since been taken down.

Advertisement