Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's 24h bus services

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

I had a further look at these services on the journey planner (they're up on the 27th after midnight still) and they're quite strange

Services ex city are at 01:40 and 05:15

Services ex maynooth are at 00:40, 02:40 and 06:15

So either they're testing these out for costings purposes or they're putting on specific services for workers at Intel/HP etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Last departures tomorrow night at 10pm is shocking

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are Nitelink services tomorrow; the gap between normal service end and first Nitelink is bad enough on normal nights - its just worst tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

L1011 wrote: »
    There are Nitelink services tomorrow; the gap between normal service end and first Nitelink is bad enough on normal nights - its just worst tomorrow.

Is it not normally half an hour? (23:30 and 00:00, or maybe not all nitelinks have a 00:00 service? [I’m too lazy to look it up])

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Qrt wrote: »
    Is it not normally half an hour? (23:30 and 00:00, or maybe not all nitelinks have a 00:00 service? [I’m too lazy to look it up])

Its 45m on some 30m frequency routes if not more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

I believe there are some nitelink routes that only depart at 1 AM and there's not one at midnight yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

For me personally, the early termination of bus services, the confusion around when exactly each route will terminate and the difficulty getting a taxi is what keeps me local.

markpb wrote: »
    For me personally, the early termination of bus services, the confusion around when exactly each route will terminate and the difficulty getting a taxi is what keeps me local.

For new years eve, you would typically not leave before midnight now would you? And nitelink runs on new years eve night just like it would on any friday/saturday night. So you can just catch your bus at 1 or 2 or 3 am like you would any other night out.

Not that there is anything wrong with staying local of course.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Several posts have been deleted from this thread as the member hapime was a re-reg troll who has previously been banned, many many times over a sustained period.

You may want to take this into account when deciding if you should take their posts at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭p_haugh

The first 46n leaves at 00:30 instead of midnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

There was severe overcrowding through Santry/Drumcondra last night with people left behind because of the 22.00 finish. Last buses were 16/41 (departing at 22.00) and 33 at 21.45 to city center. One driver told people to wait for another bus in 2 minutes behind but it was in fact 40 minutes. Some were dangerously overcrowded.

Saw the 66? or one of those heading to Kildare at 00.00 with just 4-5 on it. Why schedule a 00.00 departure on any route.

They cannot be allowed to suspend at routes at 22.00 (especially 24 hour ones), its completely pointless and typical CIE legacy issue. Luas have operated a normal schedule until 00.30 for 15 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Most nitelink routes including 66N have a 12:00 departure. At least the 66N is hourly til 4. My 69N route goes at 12, 2 and 4am. 12am departure is usually empty, and changing it to 1am would make much more sense as at least you wouldn't have to rush from last call to get it and it would soak up people not going to night clubs. No use applying real life logic to Dublin Bus though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Most nitelink routes including 66N have a 12:00 departure. At least the 66N is hourly til 4. My 69N route goes at 12, 2 and 4am. 12am departure is usually empty, and changing it to 1am would make much more sense as at least you wouldn't have to rush from last call to get it and it would soak up people not going to night clubs. No use applying real life logic to Dublin Bus though!

On most routes 2 hours is plenty of time to do a nitelink and return to the city to board the next trip, 1 hour is too short so your "real life logic" would mean twice as many buses and drivers required.

Nitelink was far more frequent in the past with up to 20 minute frequency on some routes but it was operated as a commercial service so got pared back when usage dropped to the point it was losing money.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Vic_08 wrote: »
    On most routes 2 hours is plenty of time to do a nitelink and return to the city to board the next trip, 1 hour is too short so your "real life logic" would mean twice as many buses and drivers required.

Nitelink was far more frequent in the past with up to 20 minute frequency on some routes but it was operated as a commercial service so got pared back when usage dropped to the point it was losing money.

I mean logical to customers who like me shell out the guts of 1700e for yearly tickets, not to suit Dublin Bus and it's staff. I know this is alien thinking to some of those staff. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I mean logical to customers who like me shell out the guts of 1700e for yearly tickets, not to suit Dublin Bus and it's staff. I know this is alien thinking to some of those staff. Apologies.

FFS sake give over with that shyte. It has nothing to do with suiting staff.

I explained it clearly, suggesting that somehow staff preferences have any bearing on the service provided is a complete fabrication.

Nitelink was set up as a commercial service, required to cover it's running costs and has been run that way until recently. Adding the service you suggested would double the running cost, without an expectation that it would also double the revenue taken it is not a commercially viable decision.

And as you have an annual ticket the additional revenue from you would be nil so less of the I've paid such and such high-horse thanks very much.

NTA/Dublin Bus have started to roll-out 24hr services on a PSO basis so the commercial viability of them is not the primary consideration, in fact I seriously doubt they will be revenue positive overall.

When the full network of night routes is operational a decision will have to be made on the remaining stub of nightlinks covering full or partial areas outside the 24hr network.

Personally I reckon I will loose out whatever happens as the Nightlink that currently serves my location will be dropped and a 24hr route will go nowhere near me.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    The point is more that a 1 AM and a 3 AM departure are more logical than 12 and 2. You can stay in most pubs until about 1 on a weekend night, and 3 AM departure is great for people who go to late bars/clubs.

12 AM is only half an hour after the last regular bus and most people will find the night link fare for that a waste of money. You cant stay in all pubs until 2 AM but it's too early when you went clubbing.

Why did usage drop? Usually, usage drops when the service gets less reliable or too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

machaseh wrote: »
    The point is more that a 1 AM and a 3 AM departure are more logical than 12 and 2. You can stay in most pubs until about 1 on a weekend night, and 3 AM departure is great for people who go to late bars/clubs.

12 AM is only half an hour after the last regular bus and most people will find the night link fare for that a waste of money. You cant stay in all pubs until 2 AM but it's too early when you went clubbing.

Why did usage drop? Usually, usage drops when the service gets less reliable or too expensive.

It wasn't carrying at all.

Use to do them.

The weekday ones were absolutely empty.

It wasn't carrying at all.

Use to do them.

The weekday ones were absolutely empty.

And why were they so empty? Would you have any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Taxi deregulation and the recession.

And the death of clubbing. Probably 80% of nightclubs are gone since then, it had started before the service ended

• Advertisement

Dublin city was a ghost town, less were working, as mentioned more taxi so you could get dropped to your door and not have to walk, less were out, less clubs, weekday nightlife was very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The 00:00 41 on a Friday night in "dry January" is completely full and standing out of town. Great to see 80 people availing of late night PT.

I don't know what it is going to be like in peak season!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

bikeman1 wrote: »
    The 00:00 41 on a Friday night in "dry January" is completely full and standing out of town. Great to see 80 people availing of late night PT.

Just like it was in December in that you need to be at first few stops to have any chance of getting on

bikeman1 wrote: »

Could be because many missed what was the 2330 bus from Eden Quay but no longer waits.

If it arrives at 2320 for example it keeps going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Could be because many missed what was the 2330 bus from Eden Quay but no longer waits.

If it arrives at 2320 for example it keeps going.

The 41 commences at Lower Abbey Street. Previous departure before the 00:00 is the 23:30. It is not a cross city route.

It is great not being pressurised to HAVE to get the 23xx departure home anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

Any word on the expansion of the 24hr bus services?

Any word on the expansion of the 24hr bus services?

There are 3 routes or at least another airport to city and back coming in as heard on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

Heard a mention of Ongar-Airport via city centre a few weeks ago.

Didn't pay much heed to it but Airport would be a good spot for Drivers to take their breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Will be great when the 39a goes 24 hour. Busses going past full, not stopping, at 6:30am this morning.

• Advertisement

Will be great when the 39a goes 24 hour. Busses going past full, not stopping, at 6:30am this morning.

They'll still be full

Advertisement