Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 239 Jones Vs Santos

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Jones...biggest dickhead of all time

Seeing Jones do all that praying BS in every piece of social media. Not his best acting performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I'd like to see a close fight here but Anthony Smith said Santos has nothing for Jones and if anyone knows about having nothing for Jones its him as we saw in his fight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

mdwexford wrote: »
    I remember people saying Serena had a chance vs men until the world number 200 or so smashed her.

Well Serena and her sister were beaten back to back by an over weight ex-professional who was ranked 800th in the world, after he'd been on the lash for several days and showed up still drunk, while Serena and Venus were both in their teens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,934 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jones...biggest dickhead of all time
    The GOAT.

eagle eye wrote: »
    The GOAT.

You spelled Demetrious Johnson wrong.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Jones GnP TKO Round 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Well Serena and her sister were beaten back to back by an over weight ex-professional who was ranked 800th in the world, after he'd been on the lash for several days and showed up still drunk, while Serena and Venus were both in their teens.

I dont remember playing them? Tennis, was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Riiight.. 20 on Jones in the second.. Can't stand him!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I really wish Jon Jones would stop trying to act like he's a nice guy and just embrace the fact that he's a dickhead. He'd be a lot more likable and entertaining.

• Advertisement

I dont remember playing them? Tennis, was it?

Forgive me, I said Australian.

Karsten Braasch was actually German.

Off topic slightly but the USA women's soccer team were beaten by a boys under 15 team once!

Hope this is a good scrap!

I wonder if i will wake up one day and think " i need a huge hammer tattoo on my chest "?

I wonder if i will wake up one day and think " i need a huge hammer tattoo on my chest "?

Is it better than brocks sword though?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lovely first round, not entirely one-sided either. Santos countered a couple of those oblique kicks really well.

Still fancy Jones to improve and win it handily later in the fight.

Jones legs look unstable.

• Advertisement

Santos in trouble, there'll be a rematch.

Jones way too tentative! He could be 2 rounds down here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Santos looking miles better than Jones last two opponents anyway.

Jones very much settled into the fight now, he’s only going to look better from here on in. Still believe he’ll get a late finish.

Stepped up that round Jones did. Santos needs to push forward.

Would Rogan ever shut up about Santos knee.

• Advertisement

Good round for Jones but he's playing with fire. He could be 2-1 down. Won't take much for Santos to nab another round

Jones looks like absolute dogsh*t in there. He's advancing, but not actually throwing anything. What is he waiting for?

Gave 1 2 and 5 to the brasilian but will be shocked if they give it to him

48-47 Jones for me.

Pico Grams looks less and less impressive lately.

48-47 Santos. Jones was doing very little.

martyos121 wrote:
    48-47 Jones for me.

Jones had a 10-8 but it could easily be a draw. I think it's 48-46 or a draw.
    Kudos to Santos either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,878 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd give it to Santos.

Jones had a 10-8 but it could easily be a draw. I think it's 48-46 or a draw.
    Kudos to Santos either way.

10 8???

10 8???
    Yeah the round he won clearly with a knockdown.

• Advertisement

Horrible fight!

I think Santos deserves a rematch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,878 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That split went the wrong way for me.

Jones had a 10-8

When?

There was no 10-8 rounds there. This isn't boxing. A knockdown doesn't make a 10-8.

Yeah the round he won clearly with a knockdown.

Don't think so man. Two judges 48 47... no one gave it 10 8

**** off Jones stop trying to be so nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

I had Santos 1 2 and 5. Jones is poor off the juice

Even with the new rules, there was no 10-8 round in that, not even one you could make a compelling argument for.

I had it as two of the judges did, but it really could’ve gone to Santos and I wouldn’t have complained. A seriously close fight, and I’d like to see the rematch in December if Thiago’s knee isn’t too bad.

There was nothing anywhere near a 10-8. We can't have been watching the same fight

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Even with the new rules, there was no 10-8 round in that, not even one you could make a compelling argument for.

I had it as two of the judges did, but it really could’ve gone to Santos and I wouldn’t have complained. A seriously close fight, and I’d like to see the rematch in December if Thiago’s knee isn’t too bad.

This is how I felt, very close, think Santos won 1 and 2, and Jones shaded the last 3, but I think you could give any round to either of them.

Jones looked gunshy most of the fight.

Jones didnt seem that active, probably the leg kicks in the first round slowed him down. Still he was the aggressor moving forward. Santos seem to have a dodgy knee from second round, didnt seem to move well, was relying on Jones to come forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Can't believe a fight that never went to ground/grappling could be so dismally boring.

2 lads walking in circles, kicking each other in the shins every once in a while for 5 rounds.

I'm never going to bother watching Jones fight again. Despite his dominance it's a totally joyless experience. The flying knee attempt was the only interesting part.

I would rather they outlaw the stupid leg to leg kicks if guys are going to fight like that. It's so dumb to have a fight decided by who ends up less hobbled, and I don't want to see good fighters get hurt that way.

Nunes is just a class apart. Holly looked awful, left herself so wide open she was begging to eat that kick.

I really thought that despite the spectacle of Masvidals 5 sec KO, the two shots he landed when his opponent wad clearly already slumped and his taunting afterwards really turned me off and made the sport look bad. Disgusting stuff actually.

I would rather they outlaw the stupid leg to leg kicks ......

Time for bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Gotta agree with that.

He doesn't seem like a nice guy so I'm not surprised, at first when masvidal went down beside Ben after the knock out I thought he was checking him out to see was he OK , replay showed him tapping, I can see why some people like masvidal. I'm pissed off the fight didn't go a few rounds. Nunes is class, rock hold wasn't at the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Meh, such a boring main event. Nothing Jones can do in that division could even be remotely interesting unless it's a fight against DC again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't understand why ben ran for a single... makes no sense.

Wrestler instincts kicked in. If somebody rushes like that in wrestling, changing levels for the takedown is the normal reaction.
    He ducked as a response Jorge closing distance not the jump. That's s is a good angle.

https://streamable.com/0xi4r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Yeah sticking your head right into an oncoming flying knee is certainly an unorthodox method of defending against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Looking at the women's Bantemweight rankings and I can't see anyone beating Nunes. Germaine de Randamie is the number 1 ranked fighter so she may be next though I'd say she will be next. Aspen Ladd so I wouldn't be surprised if they gave her a shot either tbh.

Masvidal's knockout of Askren was scary and I hated the two punches Jorge gave him afterwards, there was no need he was clearly out, I hate when fighters do that. His choice of celebration afterwards was a dick move too but he may very well get the next title shot. UFC promoted the fight as a fight for Welterweight title contention.

I don't like or dislike Luke Rockhold but his constant dropping of his arms and smiling at Blachowicz was so arrogant, especially when he was getting hit doing it. Mad stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

This is how I felt, very close, think Santos won 1 and 2, and Jones shaded the last 3, but I think you could give any round to either of them.

Jones looked gunshy most of the fight.

Jones looked a bit fat (for an MMA fighter).

Autecher wrote: »
    Looking at the women's Bantemweight rankings and I can't see anyone beating Nunes. Germaine de Randamie is the number 1 ranked fighter so she may be next though I'd say she will be next. Aspen Ladd so I wouldn't be surprised if they gave her a shot either tbh.

Masvidal's knockout of Askren was scary and I hated the two punches Jorge gave him afterwards, there was no need he was clearly out, I hate when fighters do that. His choice of celebration afterwards was a dick move too but he may very well get the next title shot. UFC promoted the fight as a fight for Welterweight title contention.

I don't like or dislike Luke Rockhold but his constant dropping of his arms and smiling at Blachowicz was so arrogant, especially when he was getting hit doing it. Mad stuff.

Yeah its dependent on the ref getting their in time, in this case he was on the other side of the cage. Cant really blame the fighter in that case, because they are all fired up and don't really know if the other fighter is KO'd or not. Unless they bring in a counting system like boxing, which has its own problems because fighters can end up taken even more damage after they survive the count.

• Advertisement
Advertisement