Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    Any tips from the grassland open day thingy today?

Grow grass. Measure growth to improve management. Invest in high return areas first like reseeding and roads and housing later when returns are better if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The last 2 months near the end of the month I've gotten a crazy tbc and the next day it's back right without doing anything. Has this happened anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I had an inspection on the spot of milking facilities yesterday, luckily grade 3 issues, (it was clean as i have a bb inspection today!) grade 1 sfp fines. He wants a table for dairy, i asked why, he replied to clean stuff down. I asked would sink not suffice?? He mentioned road was abit dirty where cows cross. Would it have been a complaint? Bb inspection, dep dairy inspection and dep tb test over two weeks misery 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I had an inspection on the spot of milking facilities yesterday, luckily grade 3 issues, (it was clean as i have a bb inspection today!) grade 1 sfp fines. He wants a table for dairy, i asked why, he replied to clean stuff down. I asked would sink not suffice?? He mentioned road was abit dirty where cows cross. Would it have been a complaint? Bb inspection, dep dairy inspection and dep tb test over two weeks misery 😊

Looks awfully like someone reported you...local pastime here. The Mairie would be out to us 3 or 4 times a month for noise, smells, dust, muck/earth/shyte on the road etc.etc.
    At this stage it’s more a denunciation or even being proscribed, than complaints iykwim.

Hello Gawddawggonnit.

I'm a lurker on the Farming thread here for some years, and have read many of your posts with interest.

Do you mind me asking what part of France are you farming in and what were the reasons behind you deciding to move out there in the first place? Apologies if you have answered these questions many times previously.

I’ll pm you sometime...

• Advertisement

Grow grass. Measure growth to improve management. Invest in high return areas first like reseeding and roads and housing later when returns are better if possible.

How much grass grown last year, stocking rate, N usage, meal fed, derogation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭straight

Looks awfully like someone reported you...local pastime here. The Mairie would be out to us 3 or 4 times a month for noise, smells, dust, muck/earth/shyte on the road etc.etc.
    At this stage it’s more a denunciation or even being proscribed, than complaints iykwim.

We're lucky enough in Ireland. We generally have tge publics support. Changing slowly though maybe

How much grass grown last year, stocking rate, N usage, meal fed, derogation?

They have grown 10t/ha so far this year on the improved dry ground, overall 10t across the whole farm last year. Not in derogation and 1.2t fed due to drought last year, mostly soya hulls.They have a goo section of the callows cleaned out now and reseeded so the threat from drought is reduced.

The whole stocking rate debate is pointless here. I was under stocked last year but it suited because of the weather. I'm well understocked this year due to weather. The proper stocking rate here moves according to the weather. I can keep 20 more milking cows once there's more reseeding done and still remain just on derogation threshold in a normal year.

Looking around the country here today, not in kerry atm, there's huge amounts of land abandoned and barely capable of keeping a small cow fed for a year on a hectare of ground. That doesn't mean the correct stocking rate is 1 cow/ha.

straight wrote: »
    We're lucky enough in Ireland. We generally have tge publics support. Changing slowly though maybe

Johnny Foreigner has a large bullseye marked on him here...it’s a carryover of the Vichy regime from WWII. Grassing out Jews, foreigners, Resistance etc was (still is!) a national pastime.
    Generally the French farmers are held in very high esteem...once they’re on 40ha farms or less. The public want to consume food produced by these small family farms, which is great.

They have grown 10t/ha so far this year on the improved dry ground, overall 10t across the whole farm last year. Not in derogation and 1.2t fed due to drought last year, mostly soya hulls.They have a goo section of the callows cleaned out now and reseeded so the threat from drought is reduced.

The whole stocking rate debate is pointless here. I was under stocked last year but it suited because of the weather. I'm well understocked this year due to weather. The proper stocking rate here moves according to the weather. I can keep 20 more milking cows once there's more reseeding done and still remain just on derogation threshold in a normal year.

Looking around the country here today, not in kerry atm, there's huge amounts of land abandoned and barely capable of keeping a small cow fed for a year on a hectare of ground. That doesn't mean the correct stocking rate is 1 cow/ha.

I was under the impression that the callows were protected??

How much artificial N used last year?

• Advertisement

Don't know their N usage, Dawg. He cleaned out the old drains on his callows and reseeded them and aims to do more this year. Some callows seem to be protected due to being corncrake habitat. I don't think that's a widespread protection but I wouldn't be very familiar with callows at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I had an inspection on the spot of milking facilities yesterday, luckily grade 3 issues, (it was clean as i have a bb inspection today!) grade 1 sfp fines. He wants a table for dairy, i asked why, he replied to clean stuff down. I asked would sink not suffice?? He mentioned road was abit dirty where cows cross. Would it have been a complaint? Bb inspection, dep dairy inspection and dep tb test over two weeks misery ��
    Had one of them myself a month ago.never knew they existed either.same kind a stuff.as i said to myself when they land in the yard they could have come at a better time ut they could have come at alot worse times too😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭jaymla627

To grow 14 plus ton of grass ha here you need to be going with 450kgs plus nitrogen ha anyone that’s growing these tons and letting on to be using much less is telling lies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭alps

jaymla627 wrote: »
    To grow 14 plus ton of grass ha here you need to be going with 450kgs plus nitrogen ha anyone that’s growing these tons and letting on to be using much less is telling lies

I'd argue the point...soil fertility, temperature and moisture grow the grass, with N growing extra grass..

Reckon if soil fertility is right, and luck fulfills the other 2 requirements, 300kgs will easily grow the 14tonnes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

When ye talk about spreading kg of n/hectare to grow x amount .How many units of n /hectare are ye on about

cute geoge wrote: »
    When ye talk about spreading kg of n/hectare to grow x amount .How many units of n /hectare are ye on about

A bag of CAN (27 units) per acre equates to 33.3kg N per Ha..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

alps wrote: »
    I'd argue the point...soil fertility, temperature and moisture grow the grass, with N growing extra grass..

Reckon if soil fertility is right, and luck fulfills the other 2 requirements, 300kgs will easily grow the 14tonnes

Were you not at a conference last year where people were getting good yields on zero artificial N?
    How much were they getting?
    Idol speculation or pub talk will be accepted.

Were you not at a conference last year where people were getting good yields on zero artificial N?
    How much were they getting?
    Idol speculation or pub talk will be accepted.

You do realise that I missed the second morning due to health issues...those boys might not use fertiliser, but they make up for it with their use of the bottle...

We grew well over the 14 tonnes that night

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

alps wrote: »
    You do realise that I missed the second morning due to health issues...those boys might not use fertiliser, but they make up for it with their use of the bottle...

We grew well over the 14 tonnes that night

I knew you had a figure.. ;)

A bit of delving in the natural farming thread there now revealed a quoted figure from a chat with an organic dairy farmer of 11 tons.

I'm off tomorrow myself to an organic tillage farmers walk.
    I'm taking the opinion there's little point going to walks or talks of what you already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭visatorro

18.3 litres
    3.80 fat
    3.66 prot
    155 scc
    3kg 14% hi maize.
    1cent above glanbia average according to statement, I'd say they're only saying that to make me feel better!!

Trying to get jobs done around the yard but it's not really happening, but sure feck it no one will starve!!

Cows coughing so ill have to dose again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Were coughing here as well so gave them a dose for worms. Reading test 2moro as well, reckon coughing hit yields a bit here doing 23L here 3.88bf 3.5p. P down on last month. Results 3 collections old. Fecking digger had me distracted and grass quality a bit off also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Mooooo wrote: »
    Were coughing here as well so gave them a dose for worms. Reading test 2moro as well, reckon coughing hit yields a bit here doing 23L here 3.88bf 3.5p. P down on last month. Results 3 collections old. Fecking digger had me distracted and grass quality a bit off also.

We haven't wormed any milkers here this year. There us a few coughing but I dunno if its effecting them.much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I knew you had a figure.. ;)

A bit of delving in the natural farming thread there now revealed a quoted figure from a chat with an organic dairy farmer of 11 tons.

I'm off tomorrow myself to an organic tillage farmers walk.
    I'm taking the opinion there's little point going to walks or talks of what you already know.

Would you go organic yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Interesting little side note in the journal by glanbia re calf welfare going forward, they are definitely cooking something up to hit lads with, if a lad was cynical glanbia will probably ban euthanize of calves and enforce 12 week mandatory holding period on farm before slaughter would be allowed, of course they will cry wolf then and release a press-statement re not supplying oruna with milk due to the fact other co-ops suppliers aren’t following best practice re calves and it would tarnish their brand image to be associated with such unethically produced milk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

We haven't wormed any milkers here this year. There us a few coughing but I dunno if its effecting them.much

This was my first dose of the cow's, young herd here and the coughing was noticeably bad tbh. The hot days were tough enough on them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,073 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mooooo wrote: »
    This was my first dose of the cow's, young herd here and the coughing was noticeably bad tbh. The hot days were tough enough on them

If cows are coughing a problem is festering away in background ,all cows done here with eprinex in June ,dung tested last December at dry off and no worms so no dose same as previous dry off .had small bit coughing before I did with eprinex didn’t test for worms as most likely lungworms ,anyway coughs gone ,calves have one dose (albex) got so far this year and maidens who were fully oytwibtered in grass last got a dose in March ,nothing since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭older by the day

Don't want to start a sh#t storm here, but if you have only one or two coughing and you have say albex and you don't want to buy a full bottle of pour on . Is it tested for. Now I wouldn't dream of doing naughty things like that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

No coughing here but a good few snotty noses.calves are coughing despite being dosed 3 weeks ago -invertimin pour on

Don't want to start a sh#t storm here, but if you have only one or two coughing and you have say albex and you don't want to buy a full bottle of pour on . Is it tested for. Now I wouldn't dream of doing naughty things like that

All milk collected is tested for inhibitors. There is a sample taken from the bulk tank and tested and if that shows up as containing inhibitors, all individual samples from each farm is then tested to see which farm it originated in.

That farm is then liable for the price of the full amount of milk in the lorry that has to be disposed of.

Check before you use any product that it's permitted for use in dairy cattle and follow the withdrawl periods stated on it.

Edit: The withdrawl for Albex is 60 hours from dosing so you will have to keep the milk from 5 milkings on treated cows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭straight

visatorro wrote: »
    18.3 litres
    3.80 fat
    3.66 prot
    155 scc
    3kg 14% hi maize.
    1cent above glanbia average according to statement, I'd say they're only saying that to make me feel better!!

Trying to get jobs done around the yard but it's not really happening, but sure feck it no one will starve!!

Cows coughing so ill have to dose again.

Doing 3.45 protein here, bf is 3.8. Doing 26 litres. On 2kg of 16% ration. I'm low on percentages but good enough on litres. I don't know how it compares with other guys but I got 245 euro per cow for the June cheque. Only 31.7 cent per litre.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement