Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

straight wrote: »
    Doing 3.45 protein here, bf is 3.8. Doing 26 litres. On 2kg of 16% ration. I'm low on percentages but good enough on litres. I don't know how it compares with other guys but I got 245 euro per cow for the June cheque. Only 31.7 cent per litre.

Yesterday collection 26.78 Ltrs 4.21 fat 3.61 p
    Shade over 4 kg average nuts 13% p.high energy nut with megafat actisaf and sodium bicarbonate added ,Ltrs slightly up on same stage last year ,fat running 0.2 ahead and protein 0.19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Yesterday collection 26.78 Ltrs 4.21 fat 3.61 p
    Shade over 4 kg average nuts 13% p.high energy nut with megafat actisaf and sodium bicarbonate added ,Ltrs slightly up on same stage last year ,fat running 0.2 ahead and protein 0.19

Asked one of the milkers were the cows back much on milk...’don’t ask’ she replied, so I left it at that.
    The boss always said to never walk crops in a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

visatorro wrote: »
    18.3 litres
    3.80 fat
    3.66 prot
    155 scc
    3kg 14% hi maize.
    1cent above glanbia average according to statement, I'd say they're only saying that to make me feel better!!

Trying to get jobs done around the yard but it's not really happening, but sure feck it no one will starve!!

Cows coughing so ill have to dose again.

Have you dried any autumn calvers off yet? What did you dose with last time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote: »
    Have you dried any autumn calvers off yet? What did you dose with last time?

No not yet even though there's a couple giving feck all and mud fat!
    I forget whether it was epizero or eprinex.
    Anyone using parakill stuff advertised on done deal? Drench with no withdrawal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

:eek:

Looks like a recipe for the SIU to come breaking down your door at 6am some morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Panch18 wrote: »
    Would you go organic yourself?

I would if I was in the organic scheme. Had a guaranteed high milk price and contract from a nearby processor. Had enough land to grow my own combicrop for my meal requirements. And a guaranteed buyer for my non dairy and cull cow beef above conventional prices.

:eek:

Looks like a recipe for the SIU to come breaking down your door at 6am some morning.

It's still being advertised as non withdrawal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Passed the herd test today. Had 25 odd replacement tags ordered a month ago, certain I had all the ones missing ordered, 10 more lost from cow's since then.....

How many skylights per bay in roof of cubicle shed? Is 2 ok, and spaced sheeting too I assume?

• Advertisement

How many skylights per bay in roof of cubicle shed? Is 2 ok, and spaced sheeting too I assume?

If spaced sheeting no need for clear lights

Have people not gone away from spaced sheeting? It doesn't keep out the heavy downpours we are getting now?!

Have people not gone away from spaced sheeting? It doesn't keep out the heavy downpours we are getting now?!

If it's not spaced there'll be condensation . If I have to house them in the summer would the spaced sheeting not be better. Ye those downpours would be a concern

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭straight

I have it in one shed and wouldn't have it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I put it in a lean to over a tank last year and not much rain coming down on me walking under it during heavy rain. Saying that, I wouldn't have put it in the western side of the shed.

I just have vented sheeting and raised apex, no condensation. The under side of sheeting is white and shed is very bright I find. Wouldn't go with sky lights at all.
    Are they needed for the grant?

I just have vented sheeting and raised apex, no condensation. The under side of sheeting is white and shed is very bright I find. Wouldn't go with sky lights at all.
    Are they needed for the grant?

Not going for grant

straight wrote: »
    I have it in one shed and wouldn't have it again.

Put shed over outside cubicles last year ,spaced sheeting used no clearlughrs no issue with water dripping can’t remember what distance beteween sheets but less than if grant job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭straight

Put shed over outside cubicles last year ,spaced sheeting used no clearlughrs no issue with water dripping can’t remember what distance beteween sheets but less than if grant job

My builder just used a galvanise nail as a spacer. Its ok in a higher roof maybe but i have it in one block of a leanto and them 8 cubicles and lime get wet. Cows avoid them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Good high roof, with air inlets at the eaves and apex canopy. Use fibre cement so no condesation. Wouldnt put spaced sheeting over cubicles, keeping cubicles dry is your main aim.

• Advertisement

For tams its 16mm gap. My man putting 6mm gap does that sound ok?

For tams its 16mm gap. My man putting 6mm gap does that sound ok?

6/8 mm rings a bell with me ,all I can say is here there was zero issue with water dripping on cubicles or wet cubicles because of the spaced sheeting

6/8 mm rings a bell with me ,all I can say is here there was zero issue with water dripping on cubicles or wet cubicles because of the spaced sheeting

Ye 16mm seems very big compared to 6mm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The nail as a spacer was what was generally used afaik.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Passed the herd test today. Had 25 odd replacement tags ordered a month ago, certain I had all the ones missing ordered, 10 more lost from cow's since then.....

€3300 fine right there Moooo.

Bought a load of incalf heifers that are coming tomorrow. I was speaking to the farmer just now and he tells me they’ve never been outside of a shed. I was going to let them off in a field and feed outside because we’ve no grass. What to do now? They’re 23/23mts and calving from mid August. Best way to train to the fence, and how long should it take to train them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Bought a load of incalf heifers that are coming tomorrow. I was speaking to the farmer just now and he tells me they’ve never been outside of a shed. I was going to let them off in a field and feed outside because we’ve no grass. What to do now? They’re 23/23mts and calving from mid August. Best way to train to the fence, and how long should it take to train them?

White rope electric wire double stranded would be your best bet, started using it in the calf training paddocks here 3 stranded and they don’t go through it, the fact they can see it as a visible barrier and their is a stretch in it if they do touch it really helps

jaymla627 wrote: »
    White rope electric wire double stranded would be your best bet, started using it in the calf training paddocks here 3 stranded and they don’t go through it, the fact they can see it as a visible barrier and their is a stretch in it if they do touch it really helps

The white strip grazing wire, or the white tape? I have the strip grazing wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭cjpm

Tape is better at the start as it's more visible. However long runs between stakes is a disaster if there is a wind blowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭cjpm

How long the training takes depends on the power in the fence. I usually cut off the power to the majority of the farm when training so that the shock near the young stock is more powerful

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement