Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

cson wrote: »
    The Baltimore-Columbia-Towson (2.8m people) MSA has the lightest European route network (2 routes) of the Top 20 MSA's in the US. Anecdotally you have a lot of folks east of the DMV that prefer to use BWI. I think it could very well be a opportunity for EI, IAG have similar route economics to hand with the BA LHR service. The airport is also the busiest of the 3 WAS airports.

I think you may be someone who's never had to travel I95 on the regular with referencing IAD & PHL "only" being 60 & 100 miles away by road either. :(

BA have up gauged BA228/9 (LHR-BWI) from 788 (225 seats) to 772 (275 seat config), a 22% capacity boost. Spoke to cabin crew on this flight yesterday and they said the route has been 'chockers' for a while now. I would think there's the potential traffic there for a 321LR.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Jamie what you term as difficult is the workload balance of employed people in the company. The company themselves have admitted it increases workloads ''exorbitantly'' and have offered compromise in terms of a monetary value coupled with updated Business class service flow to the union.

They are off on a bad foot , they went to the LRC expecting the world recently and walked out ghost faced. The company have 4 extra J seats and 3 extra in economy coupled with overall lower operating costs, even with what they are offering they are still earning extra margin per seat and I have been told a 5th crew member wouldn't bring the situation to the 757 having the cost advantage the NEO still wins out. This is penny pinching which has reached ridiculous levels across the organisation (they've shown that for themselves at the start of these negotiations).

So your reference to EI have an upper hand is laughable.

Put it does way, 4 on the B752 hasn't helped the case to get a fifth on the A321. There would be a much bigger fuss kicked up by unions including most likely industrial ballots if they a strong case for a fifth. Your not trying to tell me unions have suddenly become reasonable and not make there case if they had the upper hand.

It's clearly going to require compromise.

Had the saver fare removed the meal service that's 10-20% typically less Y and would allow a second crew member assist in J and move to Y as required.
    Locker10a wrote: »
    I guess the issue is the NEO and 752 aren’t the same in terms of passengers ratio and work load. The NEO is more passengers and more work, particularly for Business class.

I totally get the extra workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Idbatterim wrote: »
    When I refer to the fifth busiest in Europe , I’m referring to traffic from Dublin to North America. I have repeatedly seen that figure quoted in the media and possibly from Dublin airport on their website... I’m not sure if it’s accurate , but it sounds about right... where will have more? Heathrow, maybe gatwick. And possibly Frankfurt and schiphol?

Based on number of flights weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Karl8415

Just wondering with the arrival of the NEO’S soon are the 757’s been retained or is it when 1x neo arrives then a 757 departs or will everything be retained and frequencies get increased,apologies if this question has been asked and answered previously

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

First NEO does not replace anything, there will still be a single 757 in 2020

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Someone posted a retirement plan about 3-4 weeks. (Im up too late as is on a school night to lok back for it)

If memory serves 3 will leave the fleet before Christmas, with the last to leave March 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭sherology

Looks like EI-LRA is flying again.. are EI in Hamburg for the handover/check flight? Still due tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

sherology wrote: »
    Looks like EI-LRA is flying again.. are EI in Hamburg for the handover/check flight? Still due tomorrow?

Customer acceptance flight...still due tomorrow night,it will go to hangar for modifications

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Customer acceptance flight...still due tomorrow night,it will go to hangar for modifications

Customer Acceptance Flight... That's the term I couldn't recall. Thanks. Be good to see some interior/galley/layout pics... Curious to see the new normal, and new Collins economy seat (if the indo article was correct).

Thanks again.

What modifications would be done while it’s in the hanger and also before it’s goes into revenue service will EI do test flights with it to Europe or will they send it across the Atlantic to gauge fuel burn etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Karl8415 wrote: »
    What modifications would be done while it’s in the hanger

They need to add extra fuel tanks in the tail and in pods under the wings so it has the range to reach Vegas in the winter..!

Sorry... couldn’t resist lol

EI galley equipment, WiFi gear, load the inflight entertainment.

There are going to be training requirements as there are new engines vs current

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

EI galley equipment, WiFi gear, load the inflight entertainment.

There are going to be training requirements as there are new engines vs current

The WiFi software and IFE will already be loaded,the WiFi just needs to be activated,emergency equipment,Electronic Flight Bag and other systems software will be loaded.

The WiFi software and IFE will already be loaded,the WiFi just needs to be activated,emergency equipment,Electronic Flight Bag and other systems software will be loaded.

Thank you everyone for your comments,I’ve learnt something new because I always taught that when you receive a new aircraft that it would have everything on board based on The routes it’s scheduled to operate and all that was to do apoun acceptance was to do a few route proving flights with the aircraft

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

What modifications would be done while it’s in the hanger and also before it’s goes into revenue service will EI do test flights with it to Europe or will they send it across the Atlantic to gauge fuel burn etc
    Registration tasks fleet standardisation and mode s strapping at a guess..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Thank you everyo ne for your comments,I’ve learnt something new because I always taught that when you receive a new aircraft that it would have everything on board based on The routes it’s scheduled to operate and all that was to do apoun acceptance was to do a few route proving flights with the aircraft

And thank you too Karl. I have also learnt so much on this site, you asking only saved me asking.

And thanks to all who have shared their immense knowledge on what goes on in getting a new plane ready for the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

ZSqt5Xx

On the way

Just checked FR24,
    EI-LRA is airborne as EI2395. Just north of AMS as of 8.02pm.
    ETA proabably just after 9pm in Dublin.
    I expect the spotters will be ready for her.

I see it, it’s just north of Sheffield now, not long to go, drying to see pictures, out of curiosity does anyone know roughly how long LRB is from joining the fleet

On finals for 28

• Advertisement

Camera phone pics already up on Facebook.

I expect LRB to be very soon. They will want a second aircraft to run Euro training flights and be a backup to LRA on the DUB-BDL route. LRA starts on that route Aug 2nd I think

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

Interesting that EI have chosen just to have "Airbus A321neo" branding on the side, no LR. Arika have "Airbus A321LR" on the side of their birds, however TAP have nothing indicating model type at all.

Arkia were the launch customer for the LR and only have 3 of those. I’m guessing it was expected of them to brand as A321LR?

TAP have A321neo and the LR in service so perhaps didn’t want to externally differentiate?

I wonder will XLR be branded differently as it’s essentially going to be a neo but with inbuilt tanks rather than the hold tanks of the LR. (And “redesigned wing fairings” apparently)

EI could go EI-XLA, XLB, etc for their A321XLRs!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

Tenger wrote: »
    Arkia were the launch customer for the LR and only have 3 of those. I’m guessing it was expected of them to brand as A321LR?

TAP have A321neo and the LR in service so perhaps didn’t want to externally differentiate?

I wonder will XLR be branded differently as it’s essentially going to be a neo but with inbuilt tanks rather than the hold tanks of the LR. (And “redesigned wing fairings” apparently)

EI could go EI-XLA, XLB, etc for their A321XLRs!

I had the same thought but EI-XLA is already taken by a light aircraft (and had an accident too), most of the -XL_ range is actually taken by Rossiya and ex-Transaero 747s and 777s.

For the XLR I believe it has 'an optimised wing trailing-edge flap to preserve take-off performance', which essentially means reducing the inboard flap from double-slot to single-slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Economy looks quite good, was worried when I first saw the grey seats but seems it's a two tone grey with bright green trim and various colours for the headrest covers, teal for priority, lime green for what looks like exit rows and blue for standard economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Just checked FR24,
    EI-LRA is airborne as EI2395. Just north of AMS as of 8.02pm.
    ETA proabably just after 9pm in Dublin.
    I expect the spotters will be ready for her.

I would expect the mound to be in a worse state than the end of a teenage disco after that arrival!!!!! :D:D:D

Economy looks quite good, was worried when I first saw the grey seats but seems it's a two tone grey with bright green trim and various colours for the headrest covers, teal for priority, lime green for what looks like exit rows and blue for standard economy.

Do you have a link to pics? Nothing showing on Aerlingus Twitter account

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Do you have a link to pics? Nothing showing on Aerlingus Twitter account

Its on the Dublin Spotters facebook page.

Its on the Dublin Spotters facebook page.
    Thanks for the pointer.
    Just saw them. The grey seats are pretty drab to my eye. And the coloured headrest covers are definitely required. I wonder will we see similar with the new A330 in a few months. Quite a departure from the existing EI cabin look.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the pointer.
    Just saw them. The grey seats are pretty drab to my eye. And the coloured headrest covers are definitely required. I wonder will we see similar with the new A330 in a few months. Quite a departure from the existing EI cabin look.

Could someone add an actual link... Not finding the page/images with Google search. Thanks in advance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement