Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

EWR is to be retired according to rumours,LAX not just yet as its owned,again I wouldn't believe anything until I saw it parked in the desert

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Locker10a wrote: »
    This week EI cancelled flights due to running out of pilots. Hope they cop on soon.

Future pilot program in full swing again. Fully funded and likely to attract 4000 applicants for 20-40 positions. They will have no bother filling those positions with nothing short of the best people.

As for the rest, direct entry, they are competitive, plenty FR pilots looking for and making the move, I know at least two who have made the leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

sdanseo wrote: »
    Future pilot program in full swing again. Fully funded and likely to attract 4000 applicants for 20-40 positions. They will have no bother filling those positions with nothing short of the best people.

As for the rest, direct entry, they are competitive, plenty FR pilots looking for and making the move, I know at least two who have made the leap.

If this IAG 737 MAX order goes ahead then there'll be a ton of A32x pilots in a few years that could be brought in, right around the time of the XLRs, a lot will be retrained obviously but I wouldn't be surprised to see transfers, any FR pilots would slot in nicely on those new aircraft when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

A330 spotted in Toulouse in primer, reg EI-xIM

https://digitalairliners.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

LAX is owned outright but needs significant work due a number of incidents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭adam88

But it’s still flying. Can’t be that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Could well be one of the highest cycle 330s still flying from the Shannon stopover and Malaga/Faro runs over the years. At some point it would actually be cheaper to by a newer/less cycled frame from the likes of QR or KLM than to carry out the work required to extend her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭HTCOne

adam88 wrote: »
    But it’s still flying. Can’t be that bad

Each airframe is only certified up to a certain number of cycles. This can be extended, but it’s expensive, and the more cycles and hours thereafter, the more expensive it gets (inspection intervals and component replacement intervals continue to shrink). This works for freighter conversions because they spend most of the time grounded. It gets very expensive for pax aircraft which need greater utilization to make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

sdanseo wrote: »

Just wondering where you heard these figures sdanseo? It's usually much lower, around 12 I believe.

As one of the applicants I hope your numbers are more accurate than mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jucylucy

“This week EI cancelled flights due to running out of pilots. Hope they cop on soon.“......

The Ryanair news today about dropping pilots must be good news for EI then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

jucylucy wrote: »
    “This week EI cancelled flights due to running out of pilots. Hope they cop on soon.“......

The Ryanair news today about dropping pilots must be good news for EI then!
    EI could run into similer problems as FR,we'll just have to wait for Brexit which is not going to nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

roundymac wrote: »
    EI could run into similer problems as FR,we'll just have to wait for Brexit which is not going to nice.

I got the impression FR's woes were partially due to them manning up to crew the 737MAX8s, and then having no work for them without having the airframes...

roundymac wrote: »

The question is what the route authorities are post Brexit, if we remove all the EU stuff, what applied before EU regulations could come back.

In simple terms if BA wants to fly LHR-DUB they won't be flying unless an Irish registered carrier is permitted to do so also and since EI is the only slot owner its going to be them.

EI's base in Belfast is a big question, EI did have a UK AOC at the start but no more.

If you cannot fly to the UK all the transfer business at LHR/LGW/MAN will have to relocate to somewhere else, won't be anywhere to fly anyway as the UK won't be in open skies...

Biggest risk here is actually EI's balance sheet, the slots in LHR are an asset and on paper are worth hundred's of millions, EI has sold/swapped/leased these if business at LHR collapses then the slots become effectively worthless. EI also has to use its slots or face losing them...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

In pre-EU days, EI had a hub at Manchester. There was obviously some method to allow for that in the legislation of the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

L1011 wrote: »
    In pre-EU days, EI had a hub at Manchester. There was obviously some method to allow for that in the legislation of the time.

Yeah probably a built up agreement between governments, not really close to the free market we all take for granted today

The ultimate question is how they were terminated and if the repeal legislation either by design or by consequence brings them back.

It would suit EI a lot more than FR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Strange Aer Lingus hasn't made any public acknowledgement of the A321LR delivery yet, maybe they're waiting for tomorrow when it enters service? Other carriers have posted regular updates about new aircraft progress, on board product, dedicated pages on their websites and received special 'In The Making' videos from Airbus. 

Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens tomorrow.

Well, just as a I posted that, a nice promotional video has appeared online. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxWIb-CCD4c

I like the shamrock detail on the bulkheads.

Hmm three point seat belts, thats a difference, hopefully we loose the airbag lap belt which was a bit annoying

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Hmm three point seat belts, thats a difference, hopefully we loose the airbag lap belt which was a bit annoying
    Qantas has had these on its J Class Thompson seats for a while. Read it about 5-6 years ago. Apparently it allows pax to be fully reclined for takeoff and landing.

• Advertisement

I think it comes as standard on the Thompson seat now, TAP also features it on their newly delivered A321LR and A330neo fleet.

I think it comes as standard on the Thompson seat now, TAP also features it on their newly delivered A321LR and A330neo fleet.
    Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Airbags gone, infants permitted in all seats in J now.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liiga

Will the A321neo be roll out of the hangar tonight for the first flight TOMMORROW

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just wondering where you heard these figures sdanseo? It's usually much lower, around 12 I believe.

As one of the applicants I hope your numbers are more accurate than mine.

I applied a few years back (got to final 200, group interviews, but missed out) and that was the number being bandied around.

I'm making the assumption it's the same each year but I could well be talking out my hole as well. :rolleyes:

Edit: looks like I was. 18 last year. http://www.travelextra.ie/7800-applied-for-18-trainee-pilot-places-with-aer-lingus/

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

The economy power outlets on the back of the seat in front is much better imo

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

Bussywussy wrote: »

It also looks like there's one for each person instead of one between each pair of seats? Could be wrong though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Bussywussy wrote: »

Except when you’re trying to eat a meal and you get tangled up in wires chargers and headphones

liiga wrote: »
    Will the A321neo be roll out of the hangar tonight for the first flight TOMMORROW
    Doubt it. Scheduled STD is 2pm.
    Maybe towed out 2 hours earlier is all that is needed.
    They may tow it over earlier in order to get some PR shots of it first revenue flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Dev1234

I heard on the radio this morning that the first commercial flight for the A321LR is to Minneapolis.

I'm flying DUB-MSP next Tuesday and returning next Friday - what are the chances of getting a spin on the A321LR? Or will it be an ASL 757?

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement