Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon discriminating Irish customers?

Comments

they have started using their own drivers for some deliveries. Had some items delivered on sunday and 1 on monday. a sunday delivery was a nice surprise

Package delivered to me a day early so happy with that.

It does indeed give you how many stops away it is too before it's delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Caranica wrote: »
    Oh I hate weekend deliveries. I like to have a lie in at the weekend. If it's An Post they usually come at 9am ish on a Saturday/Sunday. I had a courier delivery (not Amazon) delivery at 4 30pm last Sunday when all my tracking info said Monday. That was weird!

it came at lunchtime on sunday so no issue with that.

where are you seeing that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I got a delivery today that was due next Monday

where are you seeing that?

Once it's out for delivery a while it should show up when you track delivery.

Once it's out for delivery a while it should show up when you track delivery.

on the app or online?

on the app or online?

Both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Interesting one here; Marvin Gaye What's goin on Vinyl is a deal on HDUK, £10.99. I goto the app to buy it and its not available at that price, only much higher with other sellers. I try an incognito page and uk vpn and it's available to purchase no problem.

Edit: same issue with a Tyler Ramsey album this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

sweetie wrote: »
    Interesting one here; Marvin Gaye What's goin on Vinyl is a deal on HDUK, £10.99. I goto the app to buy it and its not available at that price, only much higher with other sellers. I try an incognito page and uk vpn and it's available to purchase no problem.

Edit: same issue with a Tyler Ramsey album this morning.

The labels could be implementing rules there. Same way lots of UK arms won't sell into Ireland and hurt the Irish division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Back at it again with Amazon blatantly discriminating ROI deliveries. In the run up to Christmas some push is inevitable but this is ridiculous.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084R7RJB6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Luxury camping chair so I don't have to eat sandwiches in the car and get crumbs in that uncleanable space between the handbrake and the drivers seat.

ROI Address: Free Standard delivery November 2nd. (8 days)
    NI Address: Free Prime delivery 27th October. (2 days)
    GB Address: Free One Day delivery 26th October (1 day!)

It seems now like Prime 2-day delivery is gone by default and all we're being offered is "Free Standard delivery".

8 days for ROI vs. 2 days for NI. Ridiculous. It will likely arrive a little bit earlier than that, it usually happens, but where has our 2 day delivery gone? Or even 3 or 4 with Christmas? But 8???

But they're still delivering in that frame. I ordered something on Friday, due next Friday but out for delivery today. Had a similar experience during the week too, definitely 2 day delivery even if standard delivery was the only option.

Yes true, but stuff is also not getting dispatched as fast.

I ordered batteries on the 18th, they weren't even dispatched until the 20th. Latest update has a delivery date of the 27th. If I ordered it today and got it sent to NI, it'll be delivered on the 28th. Order it today and get it sent to GB it'll be there on the 27th.

Edit: Oh and if I ordered those batteries again today for delivery to ROI, they quote the 2nd November as delivery date.

Massive disparity again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Surely it’s down to the delivery chain to ROI having a certain capacity, therefore big demand = delivery chain is over max capacity and there’s a backlog. There are a limited number of trucks and ferries traveling between here and the UK after all. From personal experience I can see many friends and neighbors who never used Amazon before start to use them when the first lockdown happened. I’ve also seen into the back of the an post van a few times and it’s predominantly Amazon parcels in the back.

I doubt very much Amazon are somehow holding back on shipping ROI goods for any other reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

There is something strange going on, earlier everything I picked was saying delivery next Monday 2nd (whether it was Prime or non-Prime account) but now they are all saying Thursday 29th.

Non-Prime is now showing Nov 2nd or with the fastest delivery Thursday 29th

Orebro wrote: »
    Surely it’s down to the delivery chain to ROI having a certain capacity, therefore big demand = delivery chain is over max capacity and there’s a backlog. There are a limited number of trucks and ferries traveling between here and the UK after all. From personal experience I can see many friends and neighbors who never used Amazon before start to use them when the first lockdown happened. I’ve also seen into the back of the an post van a few times and it’s predominantly Amazon parcels in the back.

I doubt very much Amazon are somehow holding back on shipping ROI goods for any other reason.

During the first lockdown they were holding back because they were prioritising UK orders over Irish orders. There were massive discrepancies between delivery dates for Irish and UK orders. Discrepancies that could not be explained by transit times. Irish orders were sitting there for a week before they were shipped. The actual transit time was the normal 2-3 days. UK orders were being shipped the same or next day after ordering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

During the first lockdown they were holding back because they were prioritising UK orders over Irish orders. There were massive discrepancies between delivery dates for Irish and UK orders. Discrepancies that could not be explained by transit times. Irish orders were sitting there for a week before they were shipped. The actual transit time was the normal 2-3 days. UK orders were being shipped the same or next day after ordering.

Lack of capacity to actually get the Irish orders across the Irish Sea and in to An Post easily explain that.

Amazon would have a contracted amount of capacity which they vastly exceeded and it was far from cheap to get extra cargo capacity back then. Less of an issue now

L1011 wrote: »
    Lack of capacity to actually get the Irish orders across the Irish Sea and in to An Post easily explain that.

Amazon would have a contracted amount of capacity which they vastly exceeded and it was far from cheap to get extra cargo capacity back then. Less of an issue now

If that was the case it would only affect some irish orders, those that exceeded the capacity for the day. It was happening to all irish orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Ordered a few items recently, noticed the tracking numbers were different - all prefixed with "GA" instead of the usual An Post tracking number. One delivery arrived yesterday (bank holiday Monday).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

JDxtra wrote: »
    Ordered a few items recently, noticed the tracking numbers were different - all prefixed with "GA" instead of the usual An Post tracking number. One delivery arrived yesterday (bank holiday Monday).

Amazons own delivery crowd now by the looks of it, not very good either - packages abandoned at doors at the wrong address.

You can track them now on the App like a Dominos order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If that was the case it would only affect some irish orders, those that exceeded the capacity for the day. It was happening to all irish orders.

No, they're all stacked and released in order; not a day by day capacity.

That option would be a hideous mess and the overload would never, ever get delived.

• Advertisement

DrZeuss wrote: »
    There is something strange going on, earlier everything I picked was saying delivery next Monday 2nd (whether it was Prime or non-Prime account) but now they are all saying Thursday 29th.

Non-Prime is now showing Nov 2nd or with the fastest delivery Thursday 29th

I ordered a screw set this morning on Prime, Nov 2nd again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭VG31

The delivery dates keep changing throughout the day. If you order now most items have a delivery date of Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

van_beano wrote: »
    Amazons own delivery crowd now by the looks of it, not very good either - packages abandoned at doors at the wrong address.

Not my experience at all - I had 2 packages delivered yesterday (bank hol Monday) while I was out working in the back garden, and didn't hear the doorbell. The driver rang to let me know he was outside. That being said, they're only up and running with their own deliveries a week or two, and you get the opportunity to give feedback when they deliver, so make sure you do - amazon are legendary when it comes to customer service.

As it happens those items were ordered late on Saturday evening, so overall less than 2 day delivery.

I've had two GA deliveries not turn up on the day they should have, so annoying when it's a 12 hour delivery slot. One turned up next day, one never did. Today's delivery I couldn't see on the map, got a notification that driver was 3 stops away but no map when I went into tracking. I hate when I see Amazon delivery on an order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think we'll just have to accept that as Covid increases so too will delays. Warehouse staff will have to be distanced and will get ill and cause staff shortages. Something will have to give somewhere.

Just got another Amazon order (ordered last Thursday, standard free delivery). Tracked it on the map down from 7 stops away. Worked very well, was able to make sure the kids weren't around in case they spotted it and started asking what was in the box!

Could never fault An Post though either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

I think we'll just have to accept that as Covid increases so too will delays. Warehouse staff will have to be distanced and will get ill and cause staff shortages. Something will have to give somewhere.

I think the main issue is often there is no delay if you place an order to a UK address like parcel motel.
    It seems amazon are capable of getting orders out the door quickly enough for UK delivery’s but are slower for Irish customers

Last week I was looking at an item that was going to take an extra 4 days to get to Repiblic of ireland compared to my parcel motel address an post tends to add an extra day but definitely not 4 days presumably the extra days are amazon not prioritizing certain delivery’s however this week it seems to be better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

On a side note, does anybody know how I am supposed to work out waist & leg size when buying jeans on amazon and they only give one number when selecting size?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

begbysback wrote: »
    On a side note, does anybody know how I am supposed to work out waist & leg size when buying jeans on amazon and they only give one number when selecting size?

There is usually a size guide on clothing items to help with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

JDxtra wrote: »
    Just got another Amazon order (ordered last Thursday, standard free delivery). Tracked it on the map down from 7 stops away. Worked very well, was able to make sure the kids weren't around in case they spotted it and started asking what was in the box!

Could never fault An Post though either.

Forgive my stupidity, but how do you track on a map?

All I get when I track packages is a list of - Order, Dispatched, Out for delivery, Arriving.

Agree about An Post, very reliable.

• Advertisement

Forgive my stupidity, but how do you track on a map?

All I get when I track packages is a list of - Order, Dispatched, Out for delivery, Arriving.

Agree about An Post, very reliable.

It seems when they are close, it'll automatically appear on the app when you track the parcel. Earlier today for me it said the same with no map visible, until maybe 30 minutes before the scheduled drop (could have been longer, did not check).

I ordered a screw set this morning on Prime, Nov 2nd again.
    VG31 wrote: »
    The delivery dates keep changing throughout the day. If you order now most items have a delivery date of Friday.

Yep, Prime and non-Prime delivery to Ireland is the same day 2nd November again.
    Prime to NI is 29th Oct
    Prime to AddressPal UK tomorrow

Time to drop Prime again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I thought id love when Amazon started delivering themselves.
    But big problem.
    We have an an post delivery box, which is great for ordering things and you dont have to be home or answer the door.
    But now that its amazon delivering, they cant use the delivery box, so you have to be in. Thats a pain.
    Not a problem while people are working from home, but it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The obvious answer would be to give a choice to use AnPost when you order. Couriers are a disaster for me & I avoid them.

In better news my camping chair finally shipped.

Arriving Monday
    Ordered Saturday, 24 October
    Dispatched Thursday, 29 October
    See all updates

Five days to dispatch it to Ireland, with same day dispatch and next day delivery for GB.

I placed three orders, one yesterday and two the day before, all with a delivery date of Wednesday. They were all shipped together today and are supposed to be arriving tomorow.

Placed an order there today, Prime free delivery next Thursday.

If I picked mainland UK address it would be delivered tomorrow and an NI address it would be delivered Monday.

So for Ireland it looks like they won't process it until next Tuesday or Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭positron

I guess it's going to get worse from here on with Amazon:

http://www.businessmole.com/amazon-is-pulling-the-plug-early-on-christmas-2020-says-parcelhero/
    As Brexit looms, Amazon is starting the process of separating UK and EU sales from 14 November. UK shoppers buying gifts from EU sites and British traders selling to Europe face potential increased costs and confusion, warns the international shipping expert ParcelHero.

I am guessing we are going to get shafted the most here in Ireland with all of this, if we have to get all our stuff from Amazon.de / Amazon.fr etc and the parcels have to be fulfilled from centers in these countries. Deliveries will be weather dependent if we are a remote island off the EU mainland (rather than an island near the UK mainland).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just as an experiment as I always use parcel motel but talk of a new fulfilment center here has piqued my interest.

Both items are the same and released today, the PM one will arrive tomorrow, the Irish one has a delivery date for the end of the month and the price went up by around 1.50 pounds when changed to an Irish address.

I think I will be sticking with the PM route.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

I placed one order for a Prime eligible item last week and only Standard Delivery was available.
    positron wrote: »

http://www.businessmole.com/amazon-is-pulling-the-plug-early-on-christmas-2020-says-parcelhero/

I am guessing we are going to get shafted the most here in Ireland with all of this, if we have to get all our stuff from Amazon.de / Amazon.fr etc and the parcels have to be fulfilled from centers in these countries. Deliveries will be weather dependent if we are a remote island off the EU mainland (rather than an island near the UK mainland).

There are 40 fulfilment centres in Europe; 17 in the UK. It will surely be worth Amazon's while to open 1 in Ireland post-Brexit. It was reportedly still seeking additional warehouse space aside from what it acquired this year https://www.echo.ie/show/article/amazon-leases-its-first-e-commerce-warehouse. It will be tough for it to retain Irish Prime subscriptions and compete in areas like book sales against local online offerings if it starts shipping everything from France or Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Gru

Earlier in the year in the busy times we had some prime stuff ship from fulfilment centres in Italy to the uk one and then onto us (it added about a day to the delivery), so i'd imagine they will just cut out the middle (uk) one and ship directly to us, or ship to an Irish fulfilment centre to then ship to us.

either way it'll be interesting to see how it goes, while we are a small market to Amazon going by on here and anecdotal evidence we Irish keep them very busy.... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Having some issues the last few days. Was supposed to have a delivery Friday. Issued tracking number for it with An post but they had no records of it. No text from them like a I normally has. Friday came and went and the notification on amazon changed from Delivery Friday to “sorry it’s running late, delivery now Monday 2nd” from the tracking on Amazon sides it looks like it departed Merseyside but never arrived in Ireland.

An Post still don’t have tracking available or tracking for the other two items due today. Should be an interesting few days.

Not sure what’s going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Zhane wrote: »
    Having some issues the last few days. Was supposed to have a delivery Friday. Issued tracking number for it with An post but they had no records of it. No text from them like a I normally has. Friday came and went and the notification on amazon changed from Delivery Friday to “sorry it’s running late, delivery now Monday 2nd” from the tracking on Amazon sides it looks like it departed Merseyside but never arrived in Ireland.

An Post still don’t have tracking available or tracking for the other two items due today. Should be an interesting few days.

I have exactly the same issue. It's due today, and the app still says that. But the tracking shows it left St Helens on Thursday night and no updates since. An Post doesn't recognise the number.

Had another parcel ordered afterwards delivered by Amazon yesterday.

I have exactly the same issue. It's due today, and the app still says that. But the tracking shows it left St Helens on Thursday night and no updates since. An Post doesn't recognise the number.

Hope I don’t sound rude but Im glad you’re the same and I’m not the only one! Haha.

I’ll give them to today and see what happens and chat them later for it. The message for the Friday delivery said that I can request a refund from tomorrow...is this their way of saying it won’t be delivered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,513 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Xenji wrote: »
    Both items are the same and released today, the PM one will arrive tomorrow, the Irish one has a delivery date for the end of the month and the price went up by around 1.50 pounds when changed to an Irish address.

VAT difference presumably, I had a Lego set go from 94.99 to 99.00 on amazon.de when Irish VAT was applied at the checkout. Delivery €10. Still cheaper than UK amazon...

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭scottigael

positron wrote: »

Hopefully there's a soft brexit free trade deal and we aren't too affected, likely to be a last minute thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SungSam7

I have the exact same issue as you, the last time I heard about my package on the app was that it departed Saint Helens at 10:59 Thursday night. Due today, yeah like that's happening now...
    An Post don't have the number in their system either. Customer Care aren't any use other than telling me to wait till Thursday, that they will be nice enough to issue me a refund. So kind of them!

Just to give an update on this. The two delivery that were scheduled for today have now been updated and able to be tracked by AnPost. Seems they landed in Dublin around 1:30pm this afternoon. Won't be getting them tonight.

The delivery from Friday is still not trackable -but thats the one I really need right now haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SungSam7

Just to give an update on this. The two delivery that were scheduled for today have now been updated and able to be tracked by AnPost. Seems they landed in Dublin around 1:30pm this afternoon. Won't be getting them tonight.

The delivery from Friday is still not trackable -but thats the one I really need right now haha.

Jesus, Boeing and Airbus would want to find out what is behind these mysterious planes Amazon use to say they can stay in the sky for over 4 days.
    Somehow feel its An Post who are the issue here and not Amazon.

SungSam7 wrote: »
    Jesus, Boeing and Airbus would want to find out what is behind these mysterious planes Amazon use to say they can stay in the sky for over 4 days.
    Somehow feel its An Post who are the issue here and not Amazon.

Amazon parcels come from the UK by truck not plane.

Amazon orders are usually scanned by An Post within 10-18 hours after leaving the UK. My last Amazon order that came with An Post took 60 hours to reach the Dublin Parcel Hub after leaving St Helens, Merseyside.

I agree, the problem appears to be An Post. All my Amazon Logistics orders have taken the usual ~12 hours to get to Dublin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement