Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My €100m BEAM scheme

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

wrangler wrote: »
    It's scandalous that , after IFA getting €50m from Europe, some desk driver fecks it up like that for farmers.

The I.F.A. ???

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

i sent 24 cattle to factory. its my understanding they want you to reduce the no of CATTLE during 07/20 -06/21 on agfood they have me down as having 1908kgs (livestock manure nitrogen); 5% of this 96kgs(which is 2 cattle i need to have less in 01/07/20-30/07/21..)

but the problem is im struggling to work out where they got 1908kgs from i have a mix of 1-2 yr old cattle and >2yr olds.

I had 32 cattle in 2018 & 36 in 2019(within the ref. period) and as some cattle became >24 months during the ref period so im not understanding this
    anyone else having this issue?

also next yr if i have more cattle ...the only penalty is i just give the aid money back? no penalties etc this right? tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The I.F.A. ???

Yea Joe healy even said on the news since I put up that post, had it been left to the Public Disservice it'd never have been got

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

MikeSoys wrote: »
    i sent 24 cattle to factory. its my understanding they want you to reduce the no of CATTLE during 07/20 -06/21 on agfood they have me down as having 1908kgs (livestock manure nitrogen); 5% of this 96kgs(which is 2 cattle i need to have less in 01/07/20-30/07/21..)

but the problem is im struggling to work out where they got 1908kgs from i have a mix of 1-2 yr old cattle and >2yr olds.

I had 32 cattle in 2018 & 36 in 2019(within the ref. period) and as some cattle became >24 months during the ref period so im not understanding this
    anyone else having this issue?

also next yr if i have more cattle ...the only penalty is i just give the aid money back? no penalties etc this right? tks
    the 1908 kgs is worked out on a daily basis depending on the cattle’s ages, don’t know what the story is on the penalty if ur over

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

if you apply for this folks do you only have reduce the 4 or 5% till 2021 can you go back up again without risking a penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I cant understand why Farm Organisations didn't insist on other means of reducing carbon than stock reduction , ie less concentrates , earlier turnout etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

I cant understand why Farm Organisations didn't insist on other means of reducing carbon than stock reduction , ie less concentrates , earlier turnout etc!

have to agree and plus if they are that worried about things there has been no grant etc to change lights to led in farm yard sheds etc. Come winter time we all know the amount of energy used. its only a small thing but can have a huge impact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kk.man

I think the EU insisted on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

gerryirl wrote: »
    if you apply for this folks do you only have reduce the 4 or 5% till 2021 can you go back up again without risking a penalty.

Ya one year only. Too good to leave behind. Think I will carry extra for summer and then cut back what I put into te shed for winter

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

High bike wrote: »
    the 1908 kgs is worked out on a daily basis depending on the cattle’s ages, don’t know what the story is on the penalty if ur over
    okay thanks so if it done on daily basis.. the only way to match it is to go through every month and work out the age of each animal, and take the average?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,776 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It'd be too hard for the Dept to police and weather dependent.
    Stocking rates is easily done by algorithms on the dept cmms system to show any offenders.

They'll be a few different things brought in though I'd say.
    From feed additives to covers on open slurry tanks to the already slurry injection systems in place to the seai grant on solar and biomass system purely mostly for farm use.

Impossible to monitor or police, livestock database will be surer

MikeSoys wrote: »
    okay thanks so if it done on daily basis.. the only way to match it is to go through every month and work out the age of each animal, and take the average?
    yeah all u need is their ages and the number of days in ur herd no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Login to ICBF website and select from their MENU
    VIEW PROFILES
    2nd last option STOCK NUMBERS
    Select NITRATES REPORT
    Select year 2018 SUBMIT
    When the report appears
    On the right hand side top of report select EXCEL
    This will drop a copy of the nitrates 2018 report into Excel
    Select year 2019 SUBMIT
    When the report appears
    On the right hand side top of report select EXCEL
    This will drop a copy of the Nitrates 2019 report into Excel
    Open the 2018 Excel file and copy July to Dec cells into a new book
    Open the 2019 Excel file and copy Jan to Jun Cells to the right of Dec 2018 cells
    Average each age group from July 2018 to end June 2019
    Paste in the known kg nitrogen for each category of animal in Cell beyond Avg Cell
    Animal Type Dairy Cows = 85, Suckler Cows = 65, Total Cattle 0 - 12 mths = 24, Total Cattle 12 - 24 mth = 57, Total Cattle 24 mths = 65, for N kg/hd

Multiply the average for each animal category by the relevant N kg/hd figure.
    Total each category up and you have your total nitrogen from July 2018 to Jun 2019.
    This is based on a monthly average, a daily basis would be more accurate as calculated by Dept

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

tanko wrote: »
    I sold four cows in the mart which were killed shortly after.
    Am I right in saying i get nothing and the lads that got them killed get €400?

It all depends who bought your animals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

I'm a dairy farmer with montbeliarde x fleckieh xcows and it appears I can claim €40 on there beef breed calves, accordingly 33x40 =1320. Not sure if I will claim

Impossible to monitor or police, livestock database will be surer

I completed a carbon navigator in BDGP as did all participants and a stipulation of the payment is participation in a scheme , it was indicated that the dept has carbon information on all participants in these programmes.

I completed a carbon navigator in BDGP as did all participants and a stipulation of the payment is participation in a scheme , it was indicated that the dept has carbon information on all participants in these programmes.

If farmers tell the truth.:rolleyes:
    They don't need to do inspections in the present system, computer will flag any problems.

If farmers tell the truth.:rolleyes:
    They don't need to do inspections in the present system, computer will flag any problems.

Im addressing the main farmer issue with the scheme; the number reduction , there are other ways of reducing carbon . This is a concession to the anti farmer vegan PS climate lobby which sets a precedent unfavourable to farmers.

Any word on what the uptake on this scheme has been, well under subscribed I'd imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Any word on what the uptake on this scheme has been, well under subscribed I'd imagine

Its under subscribed. The department of agriculture restricted the eligible dates so much in the hope to spend less than 20 million of the 50 million that the government had to put up. They'll spend the 50 million from Europe alright.

Its under subscribed. The department of agriculture restricted the eligible dates so much in the hope to spend less than 20 million of the 50 million that the government had to put up. They'll spend the 50 million from Europe alright.

70m would be a great cash injection all the same,

so no increase in payments so eventhough payments were to be reduced if it was over subscribed??

so no increase in payments so eventhough payments were to be reduced if it was over subscribed??

Yeah, thats the look of it.

All schemes are that way now, maximum budget and tough if not enough applied.
    We'd always be advising to apply for schemes, if it's fully used it means it was needed and helps to get more money the next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Where did you see that it was under subscribed? Farmers are notorious for leaving things till the last minute so it’ll probably fill up closer to the cut off date.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Where did you see that it was under subscribed? Farmers are notorious for leaving things till the last minute so it’ll probably fill up closer to the cut off date.
    if it does it’s because lads are so fed up with sucklers they’r either cutting way back or getting out and getting a few bob for it

All schemes are that way now, maximum budget and tough if not enough applied.
    We'd always be advising to apply for schemes, if it's fully used it means it was needed and helps to get more money the next time
    surely if there’s 100 m budget it should be spent and split between all applicants

surely if there’s 100 m budget it should be spent and split between all applicants

Doesn't do farmers any good either if we claim that farmers have lost 100m and then they only look for 50m.
    There might be time yet, when's the closing date

• Advertisement

Doesn't do farmers any good either if we claim that farmers have lost 100m and then they only look for 50m.
    There might be time yet, when's the closing date
    8th or 9th Sept not sure which

8th or 9th Sept not sure which

Still a week so
    If beef was a good trade you wouldn't be surprised at farmers reluctance for the 5% destock
    but at present prices it's hard to understand

Still a week so
    If beef was a good trade you wouldn't be surprised at farmers reluctance for the 5% destock

It shows the inherent optimism of farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Still a week so

i think some of the fear is that by applying for the scheme will this scheme get used by a desk jockey as another stick to beat farmers with on ie capping a payment/future scheme... unfortunately there is lots of distrust out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

Its worth hardly a **** to me money wise the way things worked out.

But even if it was significant my family and I have ended up burned before by sneaky terms/conditions, rules/regulations and regard strings attached to schemes like this with deep suspicion.

Not for me anyway I’m jumping through enough hoops already

• Advertisement

I've applied, was planning reducing numbers anyway. Due to the restrictions on dates, its worth very little to me tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Not for me either, I killed cattle 40 cattle a year, the way it it has worked out most were in July / August 2018 (late spring dry summer cattle were slow coming fit) and June / July 2019 so I am not getting any top up on these groups and the €40 a cow would be worth €800. I would have to cut back about 5 cattle in total for this money. If I can't turn more than €800 on 5 cattle then there is something seriously wrong.

Bellview wrote: »
    i think some of the fear is that by applying for the scheme will this scheme get used by a desk jockey as another stick to beat farmers with on ie capping a payment/future scheme... unfortunately there is lots of distrust out there

It's case by case any way, as long as those that fed a good few get it, they're needed around the ring now.
    I know two that are getting the max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

P.S. A reduction of less than 4% shall incur a 100% penalty :(

I presume that means you’ll lose the grant rather than be penalised?

Green&Red wrote: »
    I presume that means you’ll lose the grant rather than be penalised?
    id like to see that in writing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,848 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Do you have to be bord bia approved for this scheme?

whelan2 wrote: »
    i think Glas or the Beef Data scheme will get u in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    No, if you already in a environmental scheme like GLAS you are covered, if not you have to commit to sign up to BB before the 1/12/19

id like to see that in writing

Reading the small print and filling in forms is the best paying job on a drystock farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 OnDtown

Have a question towards this and maybe someone can help my understanding?

In my fathers case he will qualify for the full 10k payment.
    This will be subject to tax/PRSI/etc so he will come out with slightly less than half.
    Next year he will have to reduce stock numbers (we're estimating 10-15 head) in order to meet the nitrates requirement.
    This would mean he would be spending 10-15k less towards stocking the farm next year and this 10-15k would them be subjected to tax again, meaning he would actually be paying more back in tax than he received in the first place?
    Could this be correct? I find it hard to believe but please correct me where I'm mistaken.

The above scnario assumes top rate of tax, no borrowings for stocking, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

OnDtown wrote: »

This will be subject to tax/PRSI/etc so he will come out with slightly less than half.
    Next year he will have to reduce stock numbers (we're estimating 10-15 head) in order to meet the nitrates requirement.
    This would mean he would be spending 10-15k less towards stocking the farm next year and this 10-15k would them be subjected to tax again, meaning he would actually be paying more back in tax than he received in the first place?
    Could this be correct? I find it hard to believe but please correct me where I'm mistaken.

I believe your assumptions are correct - Except for the fact that if you buy €10-15k less cattle you'll also sell €12-18k less cattle next year.

Also, if you're on the top rate of tax from beef finishing at the moment, you're in a very small cohort - what's the secret????!

OnDtown wrote: »

He's not really the farmer that's being targetted, if it's all taxed it means he's not one that has lost money on beef.
    Destocking isn't a problem if your accountant has the stock valued right in the first place, I've destocked twice in the last ten years without a hefty tax bill, more than that I don't know

Neddyusa wrote: »
    I believe your assumptions are correct - Except for the fact that if you buy €10-15k less cattle you'll also sell €12-18k less cattle next year.

Also, if you're on the top rate of tax from beef finishing at the moment, you're in a very small cohort - what's the secret????!

Parttime farmer claiming all allowance on his salary/pension, country is full of them

• Registered Users Posts: 26 OnDtown

He's not really the farmer that's being targetted, if it's all taxed it means he's not one that has lost money on beef.
    Destocking isn't a problem if your accountant has the stock valued right in the first place, I've destocked twice in the last ten years without a hefty tax bill, more than that I don't know

Ironically I think he is exactly the farmer that was targetted by this scheme, he could have claimed 2-3 times the max amount if it wasn't capped at 100 cattle, and trust me he definately has lost alot of money on beef!

But between his state/private pensions + BPS/ANC payments, this will push him into the higher tax bracket.
    Off the top of my head calculations estimate that he could be liable to 11k tax payments over 2 years, just to receive this 10k payment. It sounds nuts to be honest!

I really not sure how the smart destocking works with the accountant and niether of us have much faith in the current guy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Agree with Wrangler.
    Destocking not an issue if accountant was on the ball.
    You will be taxed on the BEAM support as income though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement