Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My €100m BEAM scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

josephsoap wrote: »
    ‘To qualify for payment, farmers must reduce the production of bovine livestock manure nitrogen per herd by 5%.

The target period for the reduction will be between 1 July 2020 and 30 June 2021.

The 5% reduction will be based on a reference period from 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019.’

In plain English does the above mean if I calved 20 suckler cows in 2018, does this mean I have to get rid of one cow between July 2020 and 30 June 2021 in order to qualify for payment? Is there any other ways to reduce nitrogen manure ?

You could reduce young cattle numbers either, sell them younger,
    This leaflet gives the figures for the different animals nitrate total
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/ruralenvironment/environment/nitrates/InfoLeafletNitrates220915.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

I am very hesitant in claiming this fund. First of all it’s only worth €2300 to me. Then taking the 5% reduction is it worth it. Will they base that year with the 5% as a reference year for going forward with carbon emissions or something. I just don’t trust those politicians in Ireland or the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

jntsnk wrote:
    I am very hesitant in claiming this fund. First of all it’s only worth €2300 to me. Then taking the 5% reduction is it worth it. Will they base that year with the 5% as a reference year for going forward with carbon emissions or something. I just don’t trust those politicians in Ireland or the EU.

What is the chances of a beef quota being introduced by shealth for sucklers? Something like this scheme with a reduction built in every year. Compulsory like the milk quota?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭High bike

There is definitely a hidden agenda here I wouldn’t touch this scheme , just my tupponce worth every man for himself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭50HX

jntsnk wrote: »

Is the 5% reduction greater than your 2300 payment?

I hear you re reference year going forward but I can't see it based on a year of whether you signed up and I didn't iywim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

About 32 animals here.

13 cows so worth €520 to me.

Will they make me drop to 12 cows or base mine on whole herd? Probably works out anyway with 5% being a cow and a calf

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

They could do with extending BEAM to this month. I reckon finishers lost more over the last month or two than they did last winter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    They could do with extending BEAM to this month. I reckon finishers lost more over the last month or two than they did last winter

Why is the aid only paid between sept 18 and may 19, my cattle are always sold in July and August, does this mean I've no use applying??

jd06 wrote: »
    Why is the aid only paid between sept 18 and may 19, my cattle are always sold in July and August, does this mean I've no use applying??

Yes won’t qualify. Prices did begin to get worse in Sept but like yourself the majority of my cattle were sold in the previous summer months. A winters finishers fund really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

There's something suspicious about this 5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Yes won’t qualify. Prices did begin to get worse in Sept but like yourself the majority of my cattle were sold in the previous summer months. A winters finishers fund really!

But when you sold them shouldn't make a difference? It's when they were slaughtered that matters.

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    But when you sold them shouldn't make a difference? It's when they were slaughtered that matters.

Sold to factories/ Slaughtered

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i killed no cattle between november-march do i get ought?

Agree, it’s not a Brexit fund or price support fund when you have a stipulation of the 5% reduction . It should be called the carbon emissions reduction fund. Therefore going forward , if the farmer is at 95% , to comply, compared to the previous year, will they want him to go back up to 100%. I doubt it!

Agree, it’s not a Brexit fund or price support fund when you have a stipulation of the 5% reduction . It should be called the carbon emissions reduction fund. Therefore going forward , if the farmer is at 95% , to comply, compared to the previous year, will they want him to go back up to 100%. I doubt it!

Plus, it excludes the big farmers and only focuses on the small guy. It mightn't be as serious as lads think and maybe just a way of testing the water for future sways of annoying the farmer.

Does any know if there is clarity published around the 5% reduction? For a suckler farmer, is it on the cows calves or total animals held?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭High bike

Does any know if there is clarity published around the 5% reduction? For a suckler farmer, is it on the cows calves or total animals held?
    my reading it’s a 5% reduction of nitrates so instead of reducing cow numbers you could cut weanlings or yearlings ,maybe someone else can clarify it better or u

The lack of interest in this thread is surprising. I thought lads would be nervous about a 5% cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

The lack of interest in this thread is surprising. I thought lads would be nervous about a 5% cut.

That my concern.

Im fearful a cut in numbers / nitrates / carbon may have a negative effect on next round of sfp.

Im also thinking the uptake may be pretty bad as many will not receive worthwhile payment.

If its undersubscribed what will happen the balance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I just logged onto Agfood to see if there was a new tab/any mention for the scheme and there isn't. Hopefully they are working on it over the weekend. I suppose we will have to wait and see what happens on Monday.

Killed 53 so it's a nice few pound but what happens next year when I've more cattle? Only getting back at it and building up numbers. Target is 90 yearlings going to grass but instead I'll be keeping 50. I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Getting out of sucklers anyhow so I will be claiming this scheme. Every few euro will help with building the parlour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

For all peoples talk of “we need to cut numbers” and “it’s not worthwhile i’m Not going to fill sheds again” it seems that when push comes to shove and lads are actually going to get paid for it it’s all guff.
    I think people are going to be happy to get back on the merry-go-round again this winter

Grueller wrote: »
    Getting out of sucklers anyhow so I will be claiming this scheme. Every few euro will help with building the parlour.

Will claiming this scheme have any impact or restrictions on your dairy expansion? Just a thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Cut numbers fund more than a support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Will claiming this scheme have any impact or restrictions on your dairy expansion? Just a thought!

That crossed my mind but my overall stocking rate will be lower than I am with sucklers at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

For all peoples talk of “we need to cut numbers” and “it’s not worthwhile i’m Not going to fill sheds again” it seems that when push comes to shove and lads are actually going to get paid for it it’s all guff.
    I think people are going to be happy to get back on the merry-go-round again this winter

Cutting numbers here and will claim off this scheme. Contract rear heifers next year. Will have about half the beef animals

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Cutting numbers here and will claim off this scheme. Contract rear heifers next year. Will have about half the beef animals

Your nitrates total will include the heifers as well, I don't understand the significance of saying youll only have half the beef animals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

wrangler wrote: »
    Your nitrates total will include the heifers as well, I don't understand the significance of saying youll only have half the beef animals

Its quite simple. I'm getting off the merry-go-round. To allow me to contract rear a certain amount of heifer, I'll not be buying in the same amount of bullocks, while still being 5% under. I understand nitrates too.

Advertisement