Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've only been to two seminars and both were good (Kron and Pedro Sauer). But I've also heard stories from others of various famous BJJ just turning up and giving some basic instruction youtube level instruction.

John Danaher seminar tomorrow. I'm a bit excited about that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mellor wrote: »
    I've only been to two seminars and both were good (Kron and Pedro Sauer). But I've also heard stories from others of various famous BJJ just turning up and giving some basic instruction youtube level instruction.

The last one I was at was the Paul Schriner (spelling?)camp in Royal Grappling Academy. Well worth the trip up with a few nice pointers that have brought my half Guard on a lot.

I was also lucky enough to train with Diego Moares (trained Anthony Pettits) for a few days last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

emmetkenny wrote:
    The last one I was at was the Paul Schriner (spelling?)camp in Royal Grappling Academy. Well worth the trip up with a few nice pointers that have brought my half Guard on a lot.

I'm a newbie so that was my first experience of a camp/seminar. I was there all 5 days and thought Schreiner had a great way of explaining things. It was well worth the money and I'll definitely be going to any future seminars we have.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I'm a newbie so that was my first experience of a camp/seminar. I was there all 5 days and thought Schreiner had a great way of explaining things. It was well worth the money and I'll definitely be going to any future seminars we have.

Are you training up there?

Lovely set up and Roger and Foxey (that the other coaches name?) were very welcoming. Shame I hyperextened my elbow and didn't get in a few extra rolls but will try pop up again for an open mat or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

emmetkenny wrote:
    Are you training up there?

emmetkenny wrote:
    Lovely set up and Roger and Foxey (that the other coaches name?) were very welcoming. Shame I hyperextened my elbow and didn't get in a few extra rolls but will try pop up again for an open mat or something.

I train in the Navan and Cavan branches of the club, I only get to Blanch the odd time, I was there last weekend for promotions/stripes (got my first two stripes on my white belt) and a BBQ. That was my first time up since the camp. It's a nice spot alright and Roger and Foxy are sound and really good coaches.

• Advertisement

I train in the Navan and Cavan branches of the club, I only get to Blanch the odd time, I was there last weekend for promotions/stripes (got my first two stripes on my white belt) and a BBQ. That was my first time up since the camp. It's a nice spot alright and Roger and Foxy are sound and really good coaches.

Congrats on the stripes!! I hope to be back on the mats shortly.

Altogether this year between work and injuries I've only had about two months of twice a week training. It's so disheartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Ah here...............EVERYONE is getting stripes except me lol :D:D

Congrats by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dardis

emmetkenny wrote: »

I was also lucky enough to train with Diego Moares (trained Anthony Pettits) for a few days last year.

Hey man, Roger here, sorry to hear you got hurt training with us. Hopefully it was purely accidental!

Thanks for the kind words about the club and for the support of the camp, sounds like you thought it was worth it. If you need any tips or recaps on anything from the camp shoot me a message on facebook.

dardis wrote: »
    Hey man, Roger here, sorry to hear you got hurt training with us. Hopefully it was purely accidental!

Thanks for the kind words about the club and for the support of the camp, sounds like you thought it was worth it. If you need any tips or recaps on anything from the camp shoot me a message on facebook.

Cheers Roger, didn't even realise you were on here!!

It was the guy I came up with pulled the armbar on to tight and didn't feel the tap so no fault with any of your guys at all, these things happen anyway!!

I'll be up for an open mat or something once I'm back training and a little quieter in work :)

This was immense tbh.
    3 hours of the Danaher leg lock system from the man himself. A hugely interesting and funny guy, and a total gent.
    I've previously done a bit of leg lock study myself, so was familiar with some of his positions and various approaches. But the devil is in the detail as they say. The minor refinements from John added so much control. Also very concept based so hopefully can continue to figure them out myself as I go a little bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Mini850 wrote: »
    Heres a question for ye mat savages.

Im a white belt in BJJ, Been training for about a year and a half with it being broken in the middle by about a year.

I had missed two gradings in the first of the two spells, so I'm a bog standard no stripe white belt.

Since going back training, our club changed affiliation where there is no official grading as such and guys/gals get stripes/belts on the fly. It could be at a seminar, or at training, during a roll or while drilling. The instructor will just surprise you with a stripe or belt or what ever. Its actually quite nice seeing the surprise on peoples faces.

My issue (if i can even call it that) is that people that I would see myself as better than, or at least on par with are picking up stripes, while I am still bogo standard white belt. And its been said to me by my team mates that they have noticed too.

Now I'm a regular at class, have good relationships with my trainers. Listen and ask questions. I roll with 3 and 4 stripe white belts, blue belts and do well, and can "survive" pretty well against purple and brown.

What am I doing wrong?

Now, I know it shouldn't get to me. In my mind my progress has been steady and I grade myself on how I do during a roll against guys higher grades than me. And, lets face it, the belt just keeps my Gi closed.

But I wonder if for some reason, my instructors don't see enough in me to grade me.

It occupying more of my mind than it should.

On a plus note, I'm still enjoying BJJ and love learning. It's not the sort of thing that would make me quit.

Your thoughts please..........:cool:

Don't look too much into it, I never got stripes until I got 3 at once. It didn't bother me at all being honest. I am a blue over a year now and haven't received any stripes yet, even though there are a load new blues so by grading standards, they are on the same level.

You will get your stripes when you get them or you may not get them and just get your blue. If it really bothers you, try getting as many rolls with your coach and ask them if they feel you are developing and what should you be working on. Don't ask for stripes or why you are being bypassed, BJJ is not the same as other MA's and every instructor has their own criteria and method for awarding stripes and belts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Just came on here to say that I started BJJ a little over a year ago at the age of 35.

I was an unathletic, skinny weakling with absolutely no martial arts experience.

It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I absolutely love it!

I only train about twice a week (wife, kids and job etc.) but I've improved hugely (still skinny and weak, but I have a few tricks now).

From the first night when I was dominated on the ground by a guy who was smaller than me I've been obsessed about learning the techniques.

I competed in the Irish open earlier this year - great experience. I actually really enjoyed it despite being nervous and getting beaten pretty quick.

This is a blogpost that I read which had a huge influence on my decision to start training https://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-pleasures-of-drowning

See you on the mats

OSS

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Up to 3 stripes on my white today.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Drilled with my instructor rather than another white belt last night, he corrected absolutely everything I did wrong during drilling. Was fantastic and learned a lot from it but I am in absolute bits today, hips are ready to fall off! Really no slacking with him, nailed some triangles later though during rolling with the tips I got :D

Anyone going to the Leira seminar in Jorge Santos later this month?

https://www.facebook.com/events/561597314032570/?ti=as

I should be back training next week so might try target this a few weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

What way do stripes and belts work for most places? I'm on my blue white belt with 4 stripes so eligible to grade for my blue, although I'm a good six months at least off being ready for that.

I got the stripes after a certain amount of classes each time.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    What way do stripes and belts work for most places? I'm on my blue white belt with 4 stripes so eligible to grade for my blue, although I'm a good six months at least off being ready for that.

Are you in SBG? If so I believe you can get stripes on your stripes belt before grading as well.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Are you in SBG? If so I believe you can get stripes on your stripes belt before grading as well.

Yeah sorry, probably should have mentioned that ha.
    You can, I have the four stripes on my blue white so able to try for my blue now.

Just curious as some posts say they're awarded without grading, some are saying stripes are harder to get that set amount of classes etc.

Started off thinking I wouldn't stick with it but the more I did the more I liked it. Doing my first comp at the Cork open next Sunday so that should be fun.

Yeah sorry, probably should have mentioned that ha.
    You can, I have the four stripes on my blue white so able to try for my blue now.

Just curious as some posts say they're awarded without grading, some are saying stripes are harder to get that set amount of classes etc.

Started off thinking I wouldn't stick with it but the more I did the more I liked it. Doing my first comp at the Cork open next Sunday so that should be fun.

Don't be worrying about your blue in that case. Your coach will either ask you to grade or give you your blue when he feels your ready.

Go and enjoy the competition on the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Some places just have white belt then blue belt. Some have stripes on a white belt. Some have intermediate belts between the two "official" belts.

Some give stripes or belts at a grading, some award them in class. Some give them for specific skills gained, some for classes attended, some for competition performance, or overall level.

It varies between clubs and organisations.

My club dont have stripes. Just the straight bent ranks.
    But I know guys who train with Gracie Barra where stripes are awarded based on time. The actually belt promotion is completely separate afaik. So you might be promoted to the next rank when you only have 2 or 3 stripes. Or you could sit at 4 stripes for a year before you are ready.

Edit: On that note, does anyone here know kids ranking works at SBG. My brother is training there but he isn't sure.

Vagner Rocha v AJ Agazarm, somehow Vagner manages to suceed in being a bigger dickhead than AJ.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLEetckDeg6/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

My club dont have stripes. Just the straight bent ranks.
    But I know guys who train with Gracie Barra where stripes are awarded based on time. The actually belt promotion is completely separate afaik. So you might be promoted to the next rank when you only have 2 or 3 stripes. Or you could sit at 4 stripes for a year before you are ready.

Edit: On that note, does anyone here know kids ranking works at SBG. My brother is training there but he isn't sure.

Hopefully JK himself might answer that one here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

SBG works the same way at white belt.

Every ten classes = stripe. 4 stripes on white belt = White-blue belt, 4 stripes on white-blue = blue-white, 4 stripes on blue-white = eligible to have a grading assessment from JK or Pritt or another SBG Blackbelt.

There have been cases where people have skipped stripes or intermediate belts and jumped to blue belt assessment if their house couch felt they were ready but they'd still have to pass the test.

Cheers SubM, do you train at an SBG affiliate?
    Do you know how the kids ranks work? Solid/Striped Grey, yellow, etc. Is it the same 10 class per stripe?

Cheers SubM, do you train at an SBG affiliate?
    Do you know how the kids ranks work? Solid/Striped Grey, yellow, etc. Is it the same 10 class per stripe?

Kids have different coloured belts AFAIK. No idea on the way it works for the little'uns though.

I used to train at an SBG affiliate yeah but there was no kids classes there so only ever seen the midgets training when I visited SBG HQ. Still visit the home gym when I'm back in the area for a while.

SBG works the same way at white belt.

Every ten classes = stripe. 4 stripes on white belt = White-blue belt, 4 stripes on white-blue = blue-white, 4 stripes on blue-white = eligible to have a grading assessment from JK or Pritt or another SBG Blackbelt.

There have been cases where people have skipped stripes or intermediate belts and jumped to blue belt assessment if their house couch felt they were ready but they'd still have to pass the test.

6 classes per stripe to white blue, then 8 classes per stripe to blue white, then ten per stripe. 96 classes in total.

Only started the more advanced classes about two months ago with rolling at the end and most of my time is spent surviving, although getting better at that now.
    It's a fairly humbling sport :)

6 classes per stripe to white blue, then 8 classes per stripe to blue white, then ten per stripe. 96 classes in total.

Only started the more advanced classes about two months ago with rolling at the end and most of my time is spent surviving, although getting better at that now.

99% sure my coach did 10 for each level... Was over two years ago since I was a solid white belt though and I'd got two stripes at once a few times at intermediate belts so I'd say I'm just miss-remembering.

• Advertisement

Yup. And that never goes away. Even when you're a blackbelt.

Advertisement