Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Well, last night was a bit of an eye opener. How often can they afford to start Matz? Thought there was a huge element of luck in his getting to throw in WS. Last night was more his real level possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Well, last night was a bit of an eye opener. How often can they afford to start Matz? Thought there was a huge element of luck in his getting to throw in WS. Last night was more his real level possibly.

Ah come on, you're getting ridiculous now. You're writing off a guy who has made 7-8 starts in his career based on one performance? And it was his first start of the year. He was very good last season and there's no reason to believe he won't be again this year.

Ah come on, you're getting ridiculous now. You're writing off a guy who has made 7-8 starts in his career based on one performance? And it was his first start of the year. He was very good last season and there's no reason to believe he won't be again this year.

Fewest starts of any pitcher to throw in WS? Near enough I think.

It is dog eat dog, and he could be back in As pretty quickly. Their pitching was top class last year. Don't think Matz is any where near De Grom or Syndergard or Harvey.

Fewest starts of any pitcher to throw in WS? Near enough I think.

It is dog eat dog, and he could be back in As pretty quickly. Their pitching was top class last year. Don't think Matz is any where near De Grom or Syndergard or Harvey.

The fact that he started in the WS is irrelevant. He was the no 4 starter and his spot came up so he pitched. No big deal.

Of course he's not as good as the other 3 pitchers. But that's asking a lot. I bet a lot of other teams would love to have him as their no. 4 starter. He has more upside to downside definitely.

I wouldn't be sending him to Las Vegas yet! Who would you replace him with in the rotation? Gilmartin, Montero? Give me a break.

Fair enough.

Long time to go yet. Anyway, hitting remains the big problem. Not sure they can sort that one!

• Advertisement

Fair enough.

Long time to go yet. Anyway, hitting remains the big problem. Not sure they can sort that one!

Yeah, hitting's the issue at the moment but as you say, there's a long time to go yet. People here are probably sick of me saying it at this stage but a week, even two is too short of time to be either panicking or proclaiming yourself the next '27 Yankees.

I think they will sort it out. I just hope we don't have to wait until May for them to do so.

Only new to forum so not au fait with peoples affiliations!

Soft spot for the Pirates myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I like this bashing of pitchers after 1 week. Let me join in!

The following pitchers should be demoted to Triple-A based on this season's performance:

Zack Grienke
    Adam Wainwright
    Chris Archer
    Cory Kluber
    Matt Harvey
    Gerrit Cole
    Jose Fernandez
    Carlos Carrasco

Oh and Craig Kimbrel needs to be relieved of his closing duties. :p

Only new to forum so not au fait with peoples affiliations!

Soft spot for the Pirates myself.

Welcome!

There's a good mix of teams supported here. I'm Mets as you can probably tell and there's another one of us here too. And he does think they're as good as the '27 Yankees....!!!!!

I'm probably missing a few but as far as I'm aware there are Yankees, Blue Jays, Red Sox, Cubs, Nats, Reds, Giants and Mariners fans that regularly post here. Sorry if I've missed anyone. There are also a few regular posters that even after a few years I've no idea who they follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

8-10 wrote: »

The following pitchers should be demoted to Triple-A based on this season's performance:

Zack Grienke
    Adam Wainwright
    Chris Archer
    Cory Kluber
    Matt Harvey
    Gerrit Cole
    Jose Fernandez
    Carlos Carrasco

Can we give out the CY Young this week too?

David Phelps. NL CY Young 2016.

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »

Zack Grienke
    Adam Wainwright
    Chris Archer
    Cory Kluber
    Matt Harvey
    Gerrit Cole
    Jose Fernandez
    Carlos Carrasco

Yeah, point taken :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Yeah, point taken :mad:

Was just having a bit of fun :)

It's that time of year for small sample sizes and overreactions - did it myself already with my fantasy team, dumped Shelby Miller and JT Realmuto yesterday after very poor first weeks. Miller is definitely not going to be that bad all through the rest of the year and Realmuto already punished me with a few hits last night after dropping him.

And I have Steven Matz in 2 teams so I'm definitely hoping his best is yet to come.

What's the fancies for tonight?

BP write up on Nicasio is one of cruellest. Pirates have the hitters though.

BP called that one right.

Early days but flaws showing in every pitching except, dareisayit, the Cubs of Chicago town. Get the goat :-)

Another bad night for Mets pending.

Another bad night for Mets pending.

Indeed it was. Can't keep wasting good pitching performances like that.

Hitters just look lost at the plate. Swinging at pitches in the dirt and then taking called strike threes down the middle of the plate.

Great to kick off the Yankees-Blue Jays games with a win this year. I'm quietly confident about a decent run this year for the Yanks. Castro over Stephen Drew is an improvement that is hard to quantify, and that bullpen....

Indeed it was. Can't keep wasting good pitching performances like that.

Hitters just look lost at the plate. Swinging at pitches in the dirt and then taking called strike threes down the middle of the plate.

Must be hugely frustrating for the pitchers. This time last year when they were struggling Granderson was doing enough to keep them up there. Not happening at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I wasn't sure whether to post this or not but.... (The Blink)

Betances and Miller have struck out 18 of the 25 Batters they've faced so far...

Really happy with how the Yankees have started overall

I wasn't sure whether to post this or not but.... (The Blink)

Betances and Miller have struck out 18 of the 25 Batters they've faced so far...

Really happy with how the Yankees have started overall

Very impressive but I would worry about the number of pitches being thrown in them cases. A few one-pitch pop ups would be nice. Especially since pitchers like Tanaka and Sabathia will only give you 5 or 6 innings.

• Advertisement

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Very impressive but I would worry about the number of pitches being thrown in them cases. A few one-pitch pop ups would be nice. Especially since pitchers like Tanaka and Sabathia will only give you 5 or 6 innings.

Like everything in baseball it is about staying healthy but they'll have Chapman back to lessen the load in a couple of weeks time though so the 9th will be taken care of anyway.

Like everything in baseball it is about staying healthy but they'll have Chapman back to lessen the load in a couple of weeks time though so the 9th will be taken care of anyway.

I'm interested to see how the 6/7/8th innings are split up when Chapman is available

Must be hugely frustrating for the pitchers. This time last year when they were struggling Granderson was doing enough to keep them up there. Not happening at moment.

The problem is now that they're pushing it. They just got their first man on base today (woo hoo!!!) but he tried to push it into a double and got thrown out by miles.

They should score now.

No.

No.

They're never going to score again ha ha.....

They're never going to score again ha ha.....

:)

That Marlins pitcher obviously can't bunt so why they don't just let him swing the bat when he gets to two strikes. Blind squirrels finding the nut and all that.

• Advertisement

Cespedes....

Advertisement