Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Options

Comments

After watching the vast vast majority of Bleu Jays games last season I honestly think every single 50/50 or close to 50/50 decision goes against them.

I could be biased:) but at this point everything that goes to review I instantly lose all hope that they will get the call.

I know there was the fan catching the ball in the second game of this series against the Rays decision that went their way (correctly I think:P)

And again with pitching...the sooner the better this is done with technology rather than umps. I know...tradition etc. but nothing more infuriating than a strike comfortably in the strike zone and called a ball (happened a couple of times to Osuna and Sanchez inexplicably in this series, like almost bang in the middle!)

Again - happens to every team I am sure, just venting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Cano is back anyway - line drive HR in his first at-bat.

I'm normally the first to jump all over 1st week proclamations about players or teams but he's now hit his 3rd HR in his third game! Excellent stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I know we had one in Nationals/Braves game on Monday but last night saw the first contentious call on the new slide rule and it changed the game from a 4-3 Toronto lead to a game ending double play 3-2 win for TB.

By the letter of the law it was probably the correct call but there's going to be some debate about this for the first few weeks of the season Id imagine.

Yes by the letter of the law he was out

- he was out by the time he started his slide
    - his left hand clearly extends to the fielder's hand.

It's a rule change, that's going to take time to get used to but on balance I think the rule is for the better.

What should be more concerning for the Blue Jays is they struck out 36 times in the first three games. As someone noted (can't remember who) you can't slug your way to the World Series.

I'm normally the first to jump all over 1st week proclamations about players or teams but he's now hit his 3rd HR in his third game! Excellent stuff.

I know it was only spring training but he was batting close to .500 towards the end of it. He's really been a different player since the surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

So Trevor Story homered again. On pace for 216 homers this season... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Some very questionable "strikes" against the Blue Jays in tonight's game.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Some very questionable "strikes" against the Blue Jays in tonight's game.

Strained calf for Donaldson would be more worrying I'd say.

and just hit his 4th.

8-10 wrote: »
    So Trevor Story homered again. On pace for 216 homers this season... :P

And again tonight.

Looking forward to watching Stroman in action for the Blue Jays again tonight. Watching the pre-game on Sportsnet... The close ups of the crowd and the food they're eating are making me ridiculously hungry. Bastards!!

• Advertisement

This home opener at Rogers Centre is going to go on for days at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

That_Guy wrote: »
    This home opener at Rogers Centre is going to go on for days at this rate.
    Marlins opener the a few nights back night must have started at least 30 mins after the scheduled start...back to Jays game the infield looks so much better with extra dirt :)

And again tonight.

Didnt even notice until this morning that he hit a second one in that game.

6HR's in his first 4 major league games! They're going to have to start walking him soon

Big blow for the Cubs with Schwarber being done for the year. They still have plenty of hitters though I suppose.

Pablo Sandoval's rough start to the season continues...

https://vine.co/v/iTZPrgt5rmZ

Estrada was brilliant today for the Jays and another cool performance from Osuna too.

Hopefully string a few wins together now

Trevor Story massive HR off Maurer. Crushed!

A massive wake up call for the Mariners who got swept by the A's at home. The A's are looking much improved from last year already, so they could be the dark horse for AL West.

A massive wake up call for the Mariners who got swept by the A's at home. The A's are looking much improved from last year already, so they could be the dark horse for AL West.

I don't know. I wouldn't be jumping to any conclusions, good or bad based on one series in the first week of the season. Too small a sample size.

• Advertisement

I think the A's rotation will let them down

I think the A's rotation will let them down

I think their rotation will be good enough to get to their bullpen, and their bullpen is looking good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Have MLB.tv fixed the clickable linescore giving away if the game went to extra innings or not, yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Mets were dreadful last night. Pitching staff no better than last year, and hitting is abysmal again.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Have MLB.tv fixed the clickable linescore giving away if the game went to extra innings or not, yet?

As far as I know they haven't and when asked on the support forum, the reps just say that the feedback will be passed on. But nothing ever happens.

It's my biggest complaint about it. There might be a couple of other small issues but if they sorted this, it really would be the best sports streaming package out there in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Pablo Sandoval's rough start to the season continues...

https://vine.co/v/iTZPrgt5rmZ
    im pretty new to baseball. my Qustion is , Is this Guy Just alot of Hype? he hasnt been that impressive anytime i have seen him play.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Mets were dreadful last night. Pitching staff no better than last year, and hitting is abysmal again.

Too small a sample size to be comparing last year's pitching with this year's but up until last night the pitching staff had the second lowest ERA in the league. Of course Matz' outing last night fecked that up but that's just one night. Even the bullpen has been pretty solid (again excluding last night) so no conclusions can be made at this stage in the season.

And yes, the hitting is awful (29th or 30th in most batting categories) but again way too early to be jumping off the ledge. Obviously 2-4 is not where I hoped they'd be a week into the season but wait until the end of April at least before giving up.

Hopefully Thor can settle down the ship tonight. He might need to pitch a shutout though!

im pretty new to baseball. my Qustion is , Is this Guy alot Just alot of Hype? he hasnt been that impressive anytime i have seen him play.

I wouldn't call it hype. It's just that he has a $90m contract and to date hasn't lived up to it. His weight's a big issue so there's a lot of media buzz about that and the fact that he lost his starting position but I don't think he's hyped too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Too small a sample size to be comparing last year's pitching with this year's but up until last night the pitching staff had the second lowest ERA in the league. Of course Matz' outing last night fecked that up but that's just one night. Even the bullpen has been pretty solid (again excluding last night) so no conclusions can be made at this stage in the season.

And yes, the hitting is awful (29th or 30th in most batting categories) but again way too early to be jumping off the ledge. Obviously 2-4 is not where I hoped they'd be a week into the season but wait until the end of April at least before giving up.

Hopefully Thor can settle down the ship tonight. He might need to pitch a shutout though!

They have the strangest stats!

Leading in team and individual ERA, or close to, and as you say down in the bunker for hitting. But they still managed to survive to October on that last year. Too many weak links to do the same again imho.

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    They have the strangest stats!

Leading in team and individual ERA, or close to, and as you say down in the bunker for hitting. But they still managed to survive to October on that last year. Too many weak links to do the same again imho.

I have to disagree with you there. Managed to survive to October? They had the hottest offence in the league the past 2 months of the season and into October. Well beaten by a better team in the WS but winning the division by 7-8 games and sweeping the NLCS is hardly managing to survive.

What are the weak links do you think? Hitting so far obviously but that'll correct itself hopefully sooner rather than later. Last year they had awful offence until July as well remember. As long as players don't regress too much (Granderson for example) the offence should be as good as it was in the latter half of last season. Walker should hit as good as Murph too.

The one worry I have is David Wright. I think he's done but Wilmer should be able to slit in there and be an adequate replacement.

Zach Wheeler comes back in June/July too.

I still think the Nats will win the division but even after the bad start, there's no reason to think they won't be contending in September.

Advertisement