Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,500 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I was in Tesco the other day, M&S yesterday. No queues, very few empty shelves, not busy at all. It would appear that there is often a rush early in the day, but I suspect leaving shopping until later in the day is less stressful and indeed far less risky given the lower numbers around

Yes they will stock the shelves overnight, but also keep on top of most areas throughout the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Breakerz

Beasty wrote: »
    I was in Tesco the other day, M&S yesterday. No queues, very few empty shelves, not busy at all. It would appear that there is often a rush early in the day, but I suspect leaving shopping until later in the day is less stressful and indeed far less risky given the lower numbers around

Yes they will stock the shelves overnight, but also keep on top of most areas throughout the day

I've had the same experience. Between 9-13 the shops are all full with huge queues and people blocking aisles trying to maintain social distancing. I would say that this kind of social distancing creates more problems than is solving. I was also shocked to see the majority of people out early were elderly with trollies full of stuff prepping for doomsday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I haven't been to the supermarket for over a week now, but last time I went shopping people were filling their trolleys with vast quantities of toilet paper :confused:

Are they still doing that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

I haven't been to the supermarket for over a week now, but last time I went shopping people were filling their trolleys with vast quantities of toilet paper :confused:

Are they still doing that?

No the toilet paper seems to be gone when i was shopping yesterday in aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No eggs again in Lidl this morning, albeit that was 9 AM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

Our local Tesco had a large queue outside it yesterday at 2 pm as they were enforcing social distancing. Thankfully I was only passing. My wife went up to the Dunnes at 7 pm and again there was a short queue, with the new rules took about 20 min to get in. By the time she got in and out the queue was at least an hour long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A decent number in Lidl with no queues outside, well-stocked and lines all over the floor. People well-behaved and one woman giving me at least 5m as she went up and down the store! A lot more gloves on show , all a bit pointless as a nurse said to me. All it takes is for you to touch your face and ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,130 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some context on the toilet roll bulk buying:
    - In Australia people were stocking up as their toilet roll is produced in China, where factories were shutting down for a period.
    - Upset stomach is a symptom of the virus in 10% of cases
    - If you have to self-isolate, or even work from home for weeks you are gonna use a lot more toilet roll than if you are in work 9-5 monday to friday.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Tempers are beginning to show in the shops ect it could turn nasty, either physical violence or looting or both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭niallo32

Tesco in Clondalkin village had long queue's outside yesterday afternoon, security not monitoring so arguments were breaking out when people were trying to skip the queue.

Once inside, it was quiet and till queue's were short.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Where is everyone getting their eggs? I've been to a bunch of stores all over Dublin now and nothing. Haven't had an egg now in over two weeks.

Do I need to be there with the clowns at 7am queuing up outside to have some eggs for breakfast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Where is everyone getting their eggs? I've been to a bunch of stores all over Dublin now and nothing. Haven't had an egg now in over two weeks.

Do I need to be there with the clowns at 7am queuing up outside to have some eggs for breakfast?

I also can't find eggs. They're an important part of my elderly mother's limited diet. If anyone knows of eggs in stock in Lucan let me know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I also can't find eggs. They're an important part of my elderly mother's limited diet. If anyone knows of eggs in stock in Lucan let me know!

Try away from grocery stores. The greengrocer here always had eggs and no shortage ere this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭arctictree

Ye need to get a few hens!!

My local Tesco had them a few days ago and Lidl had some (but not many) this morning. I didn't go crazy early, around noon in both cases.

Agree with the others that greengrocers, butchers and ethnic shops are worth a shot, as are Spar/Central.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Seen eggs in Tesco Clearwater in Finglas about two hours ago when I was there picking my bits up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

So the supermarkets are doing a big recruitment drive for more staff...........which is all fine and dandy, but by working in retail you're going to be in constant contact with the general public and as a result increase your chances of getting the virus ??? so what do you do..take your chances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

10 euros for Dettol wipes in local Costcutter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

fryup wrote: »
    So the supermarkets are doing a big recruitment drive for more staff...........which is all fine and dandy, but by working in retail you're going to be in constant contact with the general public and as a result increase your chances of getting the virus ??? so what do you do..take your chances?

I work in retail, i just try keep my distance, wash hands, sanitise them, don't touch my face. I have gloves on which I wear on a normal day working in the shop anyways. I change them throughout the day. If someone coughs I immediately leave that area. Nothing more we can do.

If a customer gets too close to me I ask them politely to move back. Not just for my safety but theirs also.

Sadly not many people are following the social distancing guidelines and it is making our job 100% more stressful. Supermarket aisles are small, there is only so much room to move around that we simply cant apply the 2 meter rule 99% of the time.

My shop now has screens installed at the checkouts. You must unload from the top of the belt and then walk down to the end of the checkout. There's a red line a meter away from the operator which the customer has to stay outside when making their way to the end of the checkout.

If people just respected us a bit more and realise if we get sick it could mean the store closing, then the issue of food shortage would become more realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^

stressful yes i can imagine, and now they want to take on rookies and throw into the deep end....recipe for disaster i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

Pavillions shopping centre have loads in Dunnes + Super Valu. Dont know where your based though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Stockpiling and other hoarding will end as freezers and vacant cupboard spaces fill up and as dopes spot that grocery shops remain open.

I heard yesterday that their are ppl in the UK buying extra freezers. Can you believe that. I hope it's not true but I sense it prolly is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

AllForIt wrote: »
    I heard yesterday that their are ppl in the UK buying extra freezers. Can you believe that. I hope it's not true but I sense it prolly is.

Trust me plenty have here as well. You cannot buy a chest freezer in the country apparently.

A much better option for us rural folk is a couple of sheep, they can keep the lawn trimmed and fatten up if we need them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

AllForIt wrote: »

That's been going on here too for the last few weeks.I believe there isn't a chest freezer to be got anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Check out workers basically shake hands with every customer by scanning items. I've started wiping each item down with a domestos solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,130 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

auspicious wrote: »
    Check out workers basically shake hands with every customer by scanning items. I've started wiping each item down with a domestos solution.

Some Tesco and Supervalu have self scanning, just have to wipe down the scanner though.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OnYerPike

The people queueing at 7am probably have eggs now or whatever else it is they need.

So, who's the clown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭tscul32

Jcs(dunnes) in swords yesterday at 5pm had plenty of eggs. No free range but plenty others. I've had no problem getting eggs so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Tesco Wilton in Cork, absolutely no measures. How hard is it to put up a couple of sanitizer dispensers? Barely even tape marked out. I was in Dunnes in Blackpool on Friday and it was like a maze it was so well distanced and marked out, every 2nd self service till blocked off to ensure distance, sanitiser, anti bac wipes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Every single large Tesco and Aldi I have been too has them.
    Oh yeah you might call them clowns...but hey at least they are Clowns with eggs...

Tesco Liffey valley have decent measures for spacing in place, aldi kylemore same at checkout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Question on Tesco delivery...

I can set up a temporary table in my carport, where I would like the delivery person to unload the delivery. This way I can keep distance, clean the items before taking them in and the driver can offload and go without delay.

Will the Tesco delivery person be happy to bring the delivery to the table and unload their crates onto it? I don't see that there would be a problem, but who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Some context on the toilet roll bulk buying:
    - In Australia people were stocking up as their toilet roll is produced in China, where factories were shutting down for a period.
    - Upset stomach is a symptom of the virus in 10% of cases
    - If you have to self-isolate, or even work from home for weeks you are gonna use a lot more toilet roll than if you are in work 9-5 monday to friday.

Most of Toilet Paper is actually locally made, the TP frenzy started in Chinese suburbs in Sydney like Chatswood, Epping and Carlingford because they were tipped off by friends in China of shortages because of shutdowns. Once they started buying up the whole country went crazy and did the same.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/covid-19-digestive-symptoms-are-common

• Registered Users Posts: 48 schofferhofer

Question on Tesco delivery...

I can set up a temporary table in my carport, where I would like the delivery person to unload the delivery. This way I can keep distance, clean the items before taking them in and the driver can offload and go without delay.

Will the Tesco delivery person be happy to bring the delivery to the table and unload their crates onto it? I don't see that there would be a problem, but who knows.

I am relying 100% on tesco deliveries for the last few weeks. I don't venture out.
    The delivery guys are very flexible. I don't let them in the house and ask them to stand back or go back to their van. I then unload all the groceries (with gloves on) and then leave the empty trays. The guy then collects them. You can mention your individual process to the guy when he rings you for delivery. they usually do ring ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 schofferhofer

OnYerPike wrote: »
    The people queueing at 7am probably have eggs now or whatever else it is they need.

So, who's the clown?

IF you order online with Tesco, they have mentioned on their website, they will make evry effort to provide substitutes to essentials like milk, eggs and bread. (if it comes down to that). I will find out later this week if i can get eggs deliverd with my grocery. I did get them last week, organic eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 smileawhile55

Anyone know where I can get the aisle schematics for a supermarket? Trying to map out here how I can complete my weekly shop without unnecessarily wandering around other aisles, and other people.

Thinking of bringing dijkstra's algorithm to dunnes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

Do supermarkets pose the greatest risk of exposure for people that are being very careful?

I've been to the supermarket twice in the past two weeks, and each time there have been two assistants at the self-checkout area. The first time the lady came next to me to collect my basket. The second time the lady went to somebody for assistance because they were buying alcohol. There is very little space between people at this area (I'm in Northern Ireland, I don't know if there's a different policy down south).

It seems that most of the population will pass through a checkout at some point in any given month. At the self-checkout screens, you need to press the same buttons as everybody else, which means multiple people are touching the same surface (the 'Get Started' button and the 'Pay Now' button).

I was wondering has this issue been raised before (self service screen in particular)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Anyone know where I can get the aisle schematics for a supermarket? Trying to map out here how I can complete my weekly shop without unnecessarily wandering around other aisles, and other people.

Thinking of bringing dijkstra's algorithm to dunnes
    Nowhere.

Usually though you will have most necessities along the walls in the back - veg, bread, milk.

Just go clockwise around the walls, that should cover a lot.

biko wrote: »
    Nowhere.

Usually though you will have most necessities along the walls in the back - veg, bread, milk.

Just go clockwise around the walls, that should cover a lot.

All the essential healthy stuff is around the walls all the temptations are in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well after a 10 day absence finally rice showed back up in my local Aldi, phew!

Hearing anecdotally that supermarkets in large suburbs and towns are mainly the ones struggling with queues and the supply chains, in smaller towns its more so business as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,500 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged - please do a search before starting new threads. The megathreads are also linked from the Forum Charter thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Iceland now reducing hours. They are now 8am - 7pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Well after a 10 day absence finally rice showed back up in my local Aldi, phew!

Hearing anecdotally that supermarkets in large suburbs and towns are mainly the ones struggling with queues and the supply chains, in smaller towns its more so business as usual.

Y - my mother says that too - I was in my big Tesco (again) today and at 2 pm despite deliveries having already been stocked out there was no beer, no tins of fish, no baking ingredients including flour , home bread or home diy scone, no rice, no jars of red sauce for pasta or tins of tomatoes, no museli, no nuts or tins of fruit ( I bashed tin of random peaches), only one chicken in the chicken aisle - I bought it, and only 3 trays on 10% mince, and about 6 boxes of 6 eggs ine of which was free range so I bought them. There were 3 huge packs of toilet roll and I bought one ( a nine or 12 roller). No noodles or spagetti, no popcorn or microwavable popcorn ( not a big issue) but tons and tons of biscuits and chrisps. All a bit worrying. If they cannot get basic provisions people are going to have to keep going out and trying to shop - there is no point buying pre-bagged vegetables that will rot in the fridge in 3 days and there are very little of the other normal type. As I said, predictably worrying. No need to worry about the gym being closed and putting on weight at least :0

I nearly had a heart attack when I heard McDonalds was closing :0 At least I had my annual milkshake when the supermarkets had run out the other day!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭RiseAbove4

Have Tescos got their sh*t together yet?

Their biggest revenues in years, 200,000 people looking for a new job and they still (when I last checked) had a 2 week wait for deliveries.

Appalling management and I don’t get their defenders on here. They have the E-commerce in place and they have the stock

So just hire the bloody extra drivers!

I’ve been trying to get a big delivery to my parents for ages now to stop them going out so much and their piss poor strategy is starting to grate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

RiseAbove4 wrote: »
    Have Tescos got their sh*t together yet?

Their biggest revenues in years, 200,000 people looking for a new job and they still (when I last checked) had a 2 week for deliveries.

Appalling management and I don’t get their defenders on here. They have the E-commerce in place and they have the stock

So just hire the bloody extra drivers!

I’ve been trying to a big delivery to my parents for ages now to stop them going out so much and their piss poor strategy is starting to grate.

Would you ever cop on. Its the panic buyers that are screwing everything up. If they hire drivers have they trucks for them to drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Tesco so seem to have problems in their supply chain , Dunne’s locally is better , supervalue also better. Tesco dont seem to able to replenish correctly

Ps : lots of flour in my local polish shops , no flour in Tesco or Dunne’s , some in supervalue even in normal times Tesco’s often has stock outs

Haven’t been to Aldi or Lidl for 2 weeks so can’t comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

our local Tesco metro in Sandymount was pretty full of stuff last night. Is it worse in the UK overall or are the media just cherry picking?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

silverharp wrote: »
    our local Tesco metro in Sandymount was pretty full of stuff last night. Is it worse in the UK overall or are the media just cherry picking?

Ah now, full shelves do not a tantalising headline make, you know!!

I'd say media mostly find the worst possible scenario, and then add glitter on top, along with a sob story interview and a couple of sad face pics.

Meanwhile (hopefully) normal service continues, with a few delays.

Well that's what I'm hoping anyway, I've to do a shop for the first time today since it all went a bit mad :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

silverharp wrote: »

I'd say media mostly find the worst possible scenario, and then add glitter on top, along with a sob story interview and a couple of sad face pics.

Well that's what I'm hoping anyway, I've to do a shop for the first time today since it all went a bit mad :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was in lidl last night. Hand sanitizer at the door in and out. Shelves well stock and everyone keeping their distance from everyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

gaslighting the community during a crises is pretty poor form then by the british media

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
Advertisement