Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭plodder

Posted elsewhere but still applies here...

Not directly related but for a long time have been doing Tesco online delivery (about 2 years since the birth of my daughter). Last week and this week I have no nappies delivered as they were out of stock in Tesco. As I am a learner driver, and my brother cannot drive me for covid reasons, I ended up walking almost 10km around D22 looking for nappies. Home this evening but now I have a cold, how about that

So now have my new car sitting in the driveway til god knows how long, unable to book a driving test I'm due at the moment either. Cant even do a lesson as instructors have ceased doing so also. I know its only a piss in the ocean compared to most people, but still a bummer.
    That's terrible. Are there any online groups in your area, with people trying to help each other out? Could one of your neighbours drive you?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

plodder wrote: »
    That's terrible. Are there any online groups in your area, with people trying to help each other out? Could one of your neighbours drive you?

My neighbour is also a L driver :) 2 doors down no car. 3 doors up are not the most friendly neighbours. I am end of terrace house. Options are pretty much not there for me. Just hoping people calm down with the mass buying (or let me drive :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The pudding bowl haircut is going to make a return along with the mullet then!

if we're going back to a medieval lifestyle, might as well have the matching haircut

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Not raking over the coals for the sake of it, but what did they save with the sudden announcement? If they had said, schools won't open from today (Wednesday) that was only two extra days of school, giving people 5 days to prepare. Even if they said shut down on Monday (one day of school giving three days to prepare) that would have been better.

It's not like the financial crisis where measures have to be kept secret until they are announced. They need to say in advance what kind of restrictions are being contemplated as many days in advance as possible. That's one reason why Leo's speech was so well received last night - exactly because he wasn't announcing anything.

infections double every 3 days; waiting longer to implement the measures would have just lengthened the shutdown, and possibly put the health service under extreme pressure. The Italians waited too long, how's that working out for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Cameron326

Anyone know whether Tesco has changed their home delivery process? IE, does the delivery man still come into your house with the crates, or are they now just leaving cardboard boxes outside your door and self signing to avoid close contact? I heard that AnPost no longer require a signature for most deliveries?

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    infections double every 3 days; waiting longer to implement the measures would have just lengthened the shutdown, and possibly put the health service under extreme pressure. The Italians waited too long, how's that working out for them?
    I don't think waiting one day would have made that much difference in this case considering it was a Friday. A lot of people would probably have kept their kids out anyway once it was announced. But, for some I'd say it was a huge problem.

Anyway, the point is there's no excuse going forward for pulling measures out of the hat suddenly. They know what we are facing. They presumably have certain measures ready to employ, and we should be given notice of what to expect, so people can prepare.

My neighbour is also a L driver :) 2 doors down no car. 3 doors up are not the most friendly neighbours. I am end of terrace house. Options are pretty much not there for me. Just hoping people calm down with the mass buying (or let me drive :P)
    Have you searched facebook or other social media for residents groups in your area? A lot of places seem to offering to help people out.

loyatemu wrote: »
    To give people several days notice of a school closure, they didn't have to delay the closure. They had to pre-announce it. This did not come out of nowhere, it was an inevitability. I advised people around me that schools would be closing a week before they actually did. They stocked up and made child-minding arrangements calmly and without any panic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Cameron326 wrote: »
    Anyone know whether Tesco has changed their home delivery process? IE, does the delivery man still come into your house with the crates, or are they now just leaving cardboard boxes outside your door and self signing to avoid close contact? I heard that AnPost no longer require a signature for most deliveries?

I received a delivery on Monday and they couldn't come into the house, but still used the standard crates. He dropped them at the door, I brought them in, unloaded and then gave them back to him. Nothing signed for.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I received a delivery on Monday and they couldn't come into the house, but still used the standard crates. He dropped them at the door, I brought them in, unloaded and then gave them back to him. Nothing signed for.

Same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I don't think waiting one day would have made that much difference in this case considering it was a Friday. A lot of people would probably have kept their kids out anyway once it was announced. But, for some I'd say it was a huge problem.

Anyway, the point is there's no excuse going forward for pulling measures out of the hat suddenly. They know what we are facing. They presumably have certain measures ready to employ, and we should be given notice of what to expect, so people can prepare.

You may tell the WHO so, considering you obviously know better.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-13-20-intl-hnk/h_0c6db53f2d95cd6d09d1f5674c1c65dd

"Speed trumps perfection"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Balf wrote: »
    Just back from Aldi. Well stocked, generally. Eggs available, with sign up saying customers are limited to four boxes each, which still seems a lot.

But main message is well stocked, no shortages. Retail workers, on low pay, are doing their bit.

4 boxes of 6 or 12... myself and the OH go through 24 eggs in a typical week

You may tell the WHO so, considering you obviously know better.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-13-20-intl-hnk/h_0c6db53f2d95cd6d09d1f5674c1c65dd

"Speed trumps perfection"
    and you may tell the Scottish and Welsh governments then as they are waiting until Friday to close their schools.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 BetterWay

Tescos.ie saying the next available delivery slot is 10 days away!

Anyone finding anywhere sooner than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

angeldaisy wrote: »

Are the groceries in bags inside the crates?

Does anyone know the SuperValu process for deliveries?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sphinxicus

whatever99 wrote: »

Mine was delivered bagless as normal. Most of the fruit was put into the paper bags as they normally do, but apart from the fact the guy stood at the door and was VERY insistant that we wash our hands after handling the crates it was business as usual. No signature required but half of the time we are never asked for one because the driver has done it himself to make sure his stats say delivered ontime

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Gotta head out to Aldi soon, not looking forward to it at all as I doubt they have any fresh meat.

PS; anyone use the Buymie app? Some of the more recent reviews are shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Supervalu calendar is full up to 28th :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

It's irrational because food shortages aren't going to happen.

Yes but someone in your household might catch Covid-19 and then you'll avoid going out at all costs. You'd prefer to have a good stock of food if that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try ringing local shops around you. They may be willing to do deliveries.

The 28th is the earliest for Tescos too. Why aren't they recruiting more drivers? Not like they didn't expect this demand a week ago.

There's thousands of people in the Hospitality and Tourism sectors that could do with a job right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Gotta head out to Aldi soon, not looking forward to it at all as I doubt they have any fresh meat.

Mulhuddart had plenty of fresh chicken/turkey at around 1pm. Can’t say about other meats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I don't think waiting one day would have made that much difference in this case considering it was a Friday....snip

Every day makes a significant difference aparently, check this chart out.

Its taken from a really good article (maybe a few days out of date now in terms of data) here. Well worth a read, and gets the message out about the urgent need for social distancing if we are to minimise the impact of the virus.

Sconsey wrote: »
    Every day makes a significant difference aparently, check this chart out.

Its taken from a really good article (maybe a few days out of date now in terms of data) here. Well worth a read, and gets the message out about the urgent need for social distancing if we are to minimise the impact of the virus.
    I'm not disputing the value of social distancing or the principle that it's better to start as early as possible. But it's not something you just decide to switch-on, on a particular day, as per those models. Different measures will have different practical effects at different costs.

Like, there are other measures we could take which will increase social distancing, but we haven't done them yet. Whatever day we decide to do something additional, are we going to say we should have done it yesterday?

And really what I'm appealing for is not doing things later necessarily but just giving advance warning so the impacts are minimised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Gormal

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    4 boxes of 6 or 12... myself and the OH go through 24 eggs in a typical week

Aldi said they have customer quotas of 4 units of each product. They take the excess off you at the checkout. This is a pain for families that do a weekly shop. But until people stop buy more than they need, this will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

whatever99 wrote: »

Does anyone know the SuperValu process for deliveries?

The 2 Super Value stores near me have their own van and will deliver free within a certain radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Hi, reading their websites, it's not clear to me if over 70s are the only people allowed to shop during restricted hours, or if they are prioritised.

Does anyone know first hand?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've heard a manager on radio yesterday saying that they're not barring other people at those times, but will prioritise older people by offering assistance, letting them up to the tills first etc.

They hope it'll be self policing and that people will be decent about it.

I haven't seen it in action myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Both of my parents are pensioners, I wish they just allowed the old folks in by themselves. I think the rest of us can manage to delay our shopping by an hour or so in the morning if needs be.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement