Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,830 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was in SuperValu this evening. Shelves fully stocked.
    The people working there keep saying Panic Thursday (March 12th) was worse than any Christmas Eve. They said it was quite scary.
    Stockpiling is selfish and pointless folks.

In my town it was like everybody just went out and there weekly shop on Thursday instead of Friday,Saturday. I was in town on Friday and it was rather quite but the shops just weren't ready for it on Thursday.(I didn't see any real stock pilling)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

appledrop wrote: »
    The food section in Dunnes Pavillions is not closed I was just there this evening. That's scaremonging. No supermarket will close in this crisis.

my friend works next door to it in boots and said all retail units in the Pavilluons were shut as of yesterday - boots shutters pulled half down & shoo assiatants squirting disinfectant onto customers before they were let into the pharmacy. Only a fee people let into the pharmacy at a time & security therr to enforce it.This seems mostly to accommodate the methadone addicts who go there for their ‘ perscription’.Seems a pity minimum wage workers are putting their health at risk for junkies who have no respect for their own .One dragged out of the shop for purpousfully targeting & repeatedly coughing on the staff while screaming about having Carona. knackers to the bitter end.

my friend works next door to it in boots and said all retail units in the Pavilluons were shut as of yesterday - boots shutters pulled half down & shoo assiatants squirting disinfectant onto customers before they were let into the pharmacy. Only a fee people let into the pharmacy at a time & security therr to enforce it.This seems mostly to accommodate the methadone addicts who go there for their ‘ perscription’.Seems a pity minimum wage workers are putting their health at risk for junkies who have no respect for their own .One dragged out of the shop for purpousfully targeting & repeatedly coughing on the staff while screaming about having Carona. knackers to the bitter end.

From the Pavilions website under their Covid 19 update:

Some stores remain open as usual, such as Dunnes Stores, Supervalu. McCabes Pharmacy & Boots Pharmacy. Please check individual stores for opening times.
    Dunnes Stores are offering shopping for the elderly or customers who are vulnerable between the hours of 11:00am and 1:00pm daily.

Same as every other shopping centre, supermarkets and pharmacies remain open. Stop trying to freak people out and stop being so bloody gullable. It takes 10 seconds to check this out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One dragged out of the shop for purpousfully targeting & repeatedly coughing on the staff while screaming about having Carona. knackers to the bitter end.
    Animals like that need to be taken out back and shot in the back of the head.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭chooseusername

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Did the rounds looking for (proper not instant) coffee and museli ( not sugar crusted cereals) yesterday - had to hit a lot of shops before I got proper coffee which paniced me somewhat.

Why in God's name are you driving around visiting lots of shops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Originally Posted by JustAThought View Post
    Did the rounds looking for (proper not instant) coffee and museli ( not sugar crusted cereals) yesterday - had to hit a lot of shops before I got proper coffee which paniced me somewhat.
    Why in God's name are you driving around visiting lots of shops?
    A bit tongue in cheek i'd say , just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

In the Netherlands, Cash&Carry/Wholesalers are now open to the general public
    https://nltimes.nl/2020/03/19/big-box-wholesalers-open-needing-groceries-pm-rutte-visits-supermarket-staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,830 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just so people know
    Aldi now closes at 8PM.
    Lidl now closes at 9PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Tesco have delivered there about 20 mins ago. Pleasantly surprised tbh.
    Only 2 missing items - Crisps (didn't substitute) and Flour which was expected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Picked up Tesco shopping a short time ago, also had everything I wanted, except my whole chicken :( They substituted it for boneless thighs, (at least they tried) but I returned those, as I have diced chicken breasts in the freezer. Popped into my local butcher who had whole chickens so I bought one for Sunday and one for the freezer for next week. Happy days.

Massive queue for Krispy Kreme drive-thru!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭quokula

AulWan wrote: »
    Picked up Tesco shopping a short time ago, also had everything I wanted, except my whole chicken :( They substituted it for boneless thighs, (at least they tried) but I returned those, as I have diced chicken breasts in the freezer. Popped into my local butcher who had whole chickens so I bought one for Sunday and one for the freezer for next week. Happy days.

Massive queue for Krispy Kreme drive-thru!!!

In my delivery they substituted my fillets for a whole chicken. Fajitas ruined.

We could have traded.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Tescos, Lidl and Aldi all changed their opening hours without warning.... annoying to say the least.

Aldi is 8pm, Lidl is 9pm, Tescos 10pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah Aldi have done the same in the UK. Over there they also introduced a limit of 3 items of the same product. The shortened hours are to give the staff a chance to stock up after the stores close to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

quokula wrote: »
    In my delivery they substituted my fillets for a whole chicken. Fajitas ruined.

We could have traded.

cook the chicken shred it for the fajitas., use the remained for chicken noodle soup or sambos

jrosen wrote: »
    cook the chicken shred it for the fajitas., use the remained for chicken noodle soup or sambos

Good idea. Once a week or so I cook a small whole chicken in the slow cooker and keep some of the breast meat for sandwiches and dice up everything else for curry.
    It looks uncooked when its finished because the slow cooker doesn't brown the skin, but the meat is beautifully cooked and tender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,112 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah Aldi have done the same in the UK. Over there they also introduced a limit of 3 items of the same product.

so only 108 toilet rolls per customer. Bah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

No eggs in SuperValu or Tesco here. Massive queues in SuperValu. Very busy and very stressful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,216 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Interesting idea in London...
    Wholesale traders at New Covent Garden market in London are launching fruit, veg and essential item boxes for delivery to the public, following a catastrophic collapse in regular orders from restaurant chains and pubs as a result of the closures ordered by the government.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No eggs in SuperValu or Tesco here. Massive queues in SuperValu. Very busy and very stressful.

Go to aldi or lidl in the evening, full shelves, quiet I've yet to experience any of this madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭con747

Is it about time all the major Supermarkets began food delivery services to help slow the spread of Covid 19? It would certainly help the most vulnerable isolate safely.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Easier said than done I'm afraid, they've no IT systems to take orders, display stock levels to customers\prices, handle volumes of orders, book delivery slots, identify addresses, process online payments\refunds\substitutions.
    ALDI UK might have a system which could be adopted for Ireland.

You need a fleet of delivery vans with refrigeration if delivering meat and dairy.
    All their current staff are swamped just keeping stock on the shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

rob316 wrote: »
    Go to aldi or lidl in the evening, full shelves, quiet I've yet to experience any of this madness.

There's no Aldi nearby but I'll try Lidl next week, thanks. I'm supposed to stay inside so having to go shop to shop is not ideal.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Easier said than done I'm afraid, they've no IT systems to take orders, display stock levels to customers\prices, handle volumes of orders, book delivery slots, identify addresses, process online payments\refunds\substitutions.
    You need a fleet of delivery vans with refrigeration if delivering meat and dairy.
    All their current staff are swamped just keeping stock on the shelves.

I understand the complications involved, but as the likes of Aldi do deliveries in the UK the systems are available to be utilised and adapted to this market. Also the staff levels and vans required would generate much needed employment and could possibly be in place in a reasonable amount of time if this virus is to continue as long as some predict. I just hope there is people looking at the option in the relevant Supermarkets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

con747 wrote: »
    Is it about time all the major Supermarkets began food delivery services to help slow the spread of Covid 19? It would certainly help the most vulnerable isolate safely.

No it doesn't.

You've one delivery driver whose been to 20 or more houses before some elderly person. Elderly people also aren't very internet savvy, so they're not going to have a laptop or smart phone, plus online banking, to pay for it upfront.

No it doesn't.

You've one delivery driver whose been to 20 or more houses before some elderly person. Elderly people also aren't very internet savvy, so they're not going to have a laptop or smart phone, plus online banking, to pay for it upfront.

It's not just the elderly who are vulnerable, people with underlying medical conditions who dread going shopping. Also the postman can do the same damage as you suggest. And elderly peoples relatives could do the online aspect.

I understand the complications involved, but as the likes of Aldi do deliveries in the UK the systems are available to be utilised and adapted to this market. Also the staff levels and vans required would generate much needed employment and could possibly be in place in a reasonable amount of time if this virus is to continue as long as some predict. I just hope there is people looking at the option in the relevant Supermarkets.

I think Tesco and Supervalu would be better placed to scale up their existing delivery and click and collect offerings. They already have tried and tested systems and processes in place.

LIDL, ALDI, Dunnes would only take the plunge if there were prospects of governments closing supermarkets to the public; at the moment they are flat out just supplying their in store customers so have no incentive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What are peoples local chippers doing? In my town there is 2 x Macaris, one has shut completely, the other one hasnt. I was outside the open one yesterday on my way home and had an urge for a takeaway even though I had dinner in the fridge waiting. Decided against it, handling notes, coins and food is going to carry some risk to customers.

In a way Im surprised at the Government/HSE advice to restaurants/take aways. They are sitting on the fence a bit by saying they are okay to remain open if social distancing can be achieved. But anyone who has ever worked in a takeaway or restaurant kitchen knows how small and cramped they are. Even if there is only two cooks they are constantly crossing over each other hundreds of times in a working shift, its simply not possible to maintain a 2m distance in a working kitchen. Likes of Dominoes too have production lines where you've around 10 staff all in a very small space passing pizzas down the line. IMO it is disingenuous for these businesses to be pretending they can achieve social distancing to stay open when they know full well it just isnt possible or workable in such small spaces.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,569 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

3 threads merged this time...

• Advertisement

I did an online shop for my parents and had it delivered from SuperValu.

Tesco are still refusing to reinstate deliveries to parts of Tallaght they cut off last year, despite pleas from residents there.

They do not provide a click and collect service at any of their stores at the Square, Clondalkin, Rathcoole, Templeogue, Nutgrove or Fonthill, either, which is the least they could do if they won't deliver.

Garfin wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/nov/18/tesco-rubbish-waste-food-trucks

Tesco Ireland have now started this practice in the last few weeks creating a food safety and public health risk.

Food waste that was up to a few weeks ago safely contained in a wheelie bin locked away outside in a fenced off section of the store yard and collected by dedicated waste specific vehicles is now being put back into the combi cages that the food is delivered to the store in and being returned to a waste facility in Dublin on the same trailer that delivers the food.

This waste food can have damaged packaging, be leaking or be out of date is put into light plastic bags then into the wheeled combi cages. There is a high risk that this rotting food will leak out onto the cage and then into trailer carrying it back to the waste facility.

These cages are only collected once a week and will sit in the store or be pushed outside to make room all the while attracting rats, mice, birds, wasps, blue bottles and maggots.

These cages and trailers are not washed and disinfected each time as was detailed in the article above.

None of the other food retailers large or small employ this practice.

That is a 6 year old article!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Garfin

That is a 6 year old article!

The practice has just started this month March 2020 in Ireland see the first line of the post.

Tesco Ireland have now started this practice in the last few weeks creating a food safety and public health risk.

Not sure what any of that has to do with coronavirus so all I will say is that if you have evidence of about rodent activity in one of Ireland's supermarkets you should report it to the Food Safety authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I did an online shop for my parents and had it delivered from SuperValu.

Tesco are still refusing to reinstate deliveries to parts of Tallaght they cut off last year, despite pleas from residents there.

They do not provide a click and collect service at any of their stores at the Square, Clondalkin, Rathcoole, Templeogue, Nutgrove or Fonthill, either, which is the least they could do if they won't deliver.
    Why did they cut off deliveries
    Supervalu in fairness from what I have seen are playing a blinder with social distancing, limiting numbers etc

The practice has just started this month March 2020 in Ireland see the first line of the post.

Maybe you can provide a link to show this as fact? My OH is in the industry involved with the supply chain in respect of the Combi's being referred to and although it is with a different company I can assure you that is not the case in her company.

• Advertisement

Maybe you can provide a link to show this as fact? My OH is in the industry involved with the supply chain in respect of the Combi's being referred to and although it is with a different company I can assure you that is not the case in her company.

Read my post, I specifically say other food retailers are not doing this, i linked the article because it describes the practice and the issues when they introduced it In England.
    I know the facts because I work in the sector including how the other retailers handle their food waste.

gmisk wrote: »
    Why did they cut off deliveries
    Supervalu in fairness from what I have seen are playing a blinder with social distancing, limiting numbers etc

The usual excuse, claims of anti-social behaviour. Funny how the local SuperValu, who offers free delivery when you shop instore, or SuperValu online, doesn't seem to have the same problem. SuperValu are dear, though.

Even if Tesco at least offered click and collect at their branches at the Square, Fonthill (which is huge) or Templeogue, it would be something.

Read my post, I specifically say other food retailers are not doing this, i linked the article because it describes the practice and the issues when they introduced it In England.
    I know the facts because I work in the sector including how the other retailers handle their food waste.

If as you say you work in the sector you would obviously know with the unprecedented demand on deliveries to retail outlets the combi's in question are in a short supply and are being turned around numerous times per day to meet that demand? So I would love to know where these combi's are sitting for up to a week!

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Not sure what any of that has to do with coronavirus so all I will say is that if you have evidence of about rodent activity in one of Ireland's supermarkets you should report it to the Food Safety authority.

Its not related directly to coronavirus but it happens to coincide with it, we are trying to protect public health with restrictions this practice of handling food waste in this way increases the risk to food safety and public health. I will be reporting to the FSAI.

If as you say you work in the sector you would obviously know with the unprecedented demand on deliveries to retail outlets the combi's in question are in a short supply and are being turned around numerous times per day to meet that demand? So I would love to know where these combi's are sitting for up to a week!

In the stores with the waste in them, drivers instructed to collect them once a week.

• Advertisement

In the stores with the waste in them, drivers instructed to collect them once a week.

I'm afraid you have provided no proof to this so I will disengage and let you report away.

I'm afraid you have provided no proof to this so I will disengage and let you report away.
    Thats why I linked the article that describes the practice, you wont see any Irish media reporting on this because they wont bite the hand that feeds, Tesco advertising spend ensures that.

I will report it to the relevant authorities and we will see if they have the appetite to sanction to them, I won't be holding my breath, the irony is they will probably use the unprecedented demand to justify it!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭RiseAbove4

Any sign of Tescos sorting their 2 week backlog and taking on some more drivers?

Or Supervalu?

Or even other major chains like Centra and Spar starting deliveries? I realise they’re franchises but if they buy from the same wholesalers they can work together on this

Haven’t half an hour to read another hugely long thread to find out and need to organise a weekly big shop for my parents to stop them going food shopping so much

RiseAbove4 wrote: »
    Any sign of Tescos sorting their 2 week backlog and taking on some more drivers?

Or Supervalu?

Or even other major chains like Centra and Spar starting deliveries? I realise they’re franchises but if they buy from the same wholesalers they can work together on this

Haven’t half an hour to read another hugely long thread to find out and need to organise a weekly big shop for my parents to stop them going food shopping so much

Most of the major supermarket chains that deliver are actively recruiting staff in all positions including extra delivery drivers. It can't be done overnight though i'm afraid.

RiseAbove4 wrote: »

Or Supervalu?

Centra and Supervalu are brands owned by Musgaves who supply the stores with the majority of their stock as part of the franchise deal.
    The stores are individually owned and the home deliveries would be handled locally by each store owner.
    They should be able to rent vans pretty quickly and take on drivers even if only on short term basis to handle the massive in demand for home delivery. Musgraves will probably be providing support to the store owners to scale up to service the demand.

The usual excuse, claims of anti-social behaviour. Funny how the local SuperValu, who offers free delivery when you shop instore, or SuperValu online, doesn't seem to have the same problem. SuperValu are dear, though.

Even if Tesco at least offered click and collect at their branches at the Square, Fonthill (which is huge) or Templeogue, it would be something.

I'm sure that deliveries are profitable for them - if they aren't willing to do them due to anti social behaviour, then id be fairly confident it's a true statement from them.

You need to get onto the gardai and council. Tesco aren't obliged to deliver to you. but if the local scum start getting hassle, then tesco might start delivering there again if its safer.

Unfortunately its just another aspect of the scumbags wrecking their own communities, and the Gardai shrugging their shoulders to it with no interest in it at all. :(

They may be more on certain items but they are providing a great service and have good quality value lines.
    Supervalu and Centra stores are individually locally owned franchises employing local people and should be supported especially now.
    Musgraves that own the Centra and Supervalu brands and supply the stores are a family owned Irish company that source the majority of their food in this country from Irish farms and producers.

You need to get onto the gardai and council. Tesco aren't obliged to deliver to you. but if the local scum start getting hassle, then tesco might start delivering there again if its safer.

I think just about every local councillor and TD has gotten onto them over the last year. I think its widely known that deliveries are not profitable, so thats not the issue. And doesn't explain why supervalu's drivers don't seem to have the same issue.

I know they're not obliged to deliver but when they're bragging online about free delivery for over 65s and "Now, more than ever, every little helps" while refusing to even provide Click and Collect in some areas, well, it strikes me ask fake and hypocritical, especially in the current times.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

There is a reason Dunnes and the Germans don't do Internet Food Deliveries?
    Costs, you need the Software and Hardware to be able to Order, Pay, Pick and Deliver first, then you need the bodies to Pick, walk around the Store doing your shopping, sort for Transport, load to Vans that have Chilled and Frozen units, buy or lease the Vans, Insure the Vans, maintain the Vans and only then can you hope that you have Drivers ready to go when they are needed.
    The Margins on Grocery are not that great, unlike Drapery, and you still have all the Costs associated with a regular supermarket before you even think of Online.
    If you want to go the other way, Deliveries from a Black site where no regular shopping is done, and it's all Picked by Automated Robots then the initial upfront Costs are massive and it also means a lot of Cash tied up in Stock in dual locations.
    It'a not just as simple as hiring a few more drivers and vans.

Lastly, if you don't like the service you are getting from your shop well why not just find a different one that does provide the service you are looking for? And don't get me started on the cost of food from different shop because the same reasoning applies, and do some research while you are at it because generally they are all relatively the same.

They may be more on certain items but they are providing a great service and have good quality value lines.
    Supervalu and Centra stores are individually locally owned franchises employing local people and should be supported especially now.
    Musgraves that own the Centra and Supervalu brands and supply the stores are a family owned Irish company that source the majority of their food in this country from Irish farms and producers.
    I use SuperValu click and collect occasionally when they have certain offers on, and have SuperValu twice in the last ten days, once for myself (click and collect) and once for my parents (delivery). But I do find them signifcantly more expensive. I wouldn't use them for my regular big shops, I prefer Aldi.

My local Centra is good, but I'd never go in for a full shop there either. At most I go in for milk or fresh bread during the week, and maybe the deli counter for a quick lunch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement