Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hopefully people will just not be complete gowls and stay away at those times if they are under a certain age. Unfortunately I have little faith this will be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hopefully people will just not be complete gowls and stay away at those times if they are under a certain age. Unfortunately I have little faith this will be the case.

That's why the supermarkets should make it clear, and enforce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Supercell wrote: »
    Both of my parents are pensioners, I wish they just allowed the old folks in by themselves. I think the rest of us can manage to delay our shopping by an hour or so in the morning if needs be.

Supervalu are doing that in Malahide.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Supervalu are doing that in Malahide.

The one in Achill is only letting a certain amount of people in at a time, you have to queue up outside. My mother loves it as the shop is so quiet when you're inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The one in Achill is only letting a certain amount of people in at a time, you have to queue up outside. My mother loves it as the shop is so quiet when you're inside.

Problem with this approach is the Q outside then becomes the danger zone.

• Advertisement

Problem with this approach is the Q outside then becomes the danger zone.

I think they are trying to enforce distancing out there too by spacing people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,260 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A lot of ot depends on the location I'd say.
    I know one place and they had one or two pensioners in the morning.
    Lots of people aren't even aware this is a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There is no "official" stopping of people who are not in a vulnerable group because A it's not possible and B it's not sensible - a diabetic for example can be any age. So when I was in Lidl at 9.15 it was quiet and while the profile skewed older it was not exclusively so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was glad to see good stocks of fresh meat and chicken in Aldi yesterday. Still no rice though and Im running low

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No toilet roll in dunnes city west apart from that fully stocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Just come back from my DIY purchases in Woodies where they have marked out on the floor and at the checkouts and way in with hazzard tape what a 2m distance is!! They were building plexiglass wall at the customer service counter to protect their service staff and had a big nice mannered guy at the hazzard distance lines at the cash desk to keep people from crowding each other or the till staff. Top marks Woodies I’d say. Lofs of safety concerns for their staff and each other and all done in a very gentlemanly considerate ordered way.

No marks for the abusive pregnant woman who shouted at every person she saw even of they were at the opposite end of aisle - was your trip to choose coloured tester paint pots really necessary and your incessant abuse to others.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was glad to see good stocks of fresh meat and chicken in Aldi yesterday. Still no rice though and Im running low

My local Tesco and Lidl still have the microwavable pouches and some boil in the bag rice, just not the standard bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I haven't left our place in a week.

We are expecting a Tesco Delivery tomorrow. Just got an Email saying that they will no longer provide substitutes for items except for essentials like Milk, Bread etc.

Has anyone got a Tesco Delivery in the past few days ? If so, were most of the items there or missing?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,485 ✭✭✭✭zell12

They deliver with items missing, something like a quarter of my order was not available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

zell12 wrote: »
    They deliver with items missing, something like a quarter of my order was not available

Were they basic staples that were missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,485 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Tesco branded - lentils, rice, tins beans tuna tomatoes, fresh orange juice, bleach, cheese, toilet roll, frozen breaded poultry
    they did substitute milk, bread and other fresh stuff

this was last monday after the panic hordes descended over weekend, maybe supply has improved- let us know

Haven’t been since Tuesday which was fine- what’s experience like today guys? Reason I ask is the Uk newspapers like the Daily Fáil are reporting all sorts of stuff happening from bare shelves to fights in both UK and some French stores- I hope these reports don’t lead to a second wave of panic buying here - we seemed to have settled down somewhat this week

Tesco branded - lentils, rice, tins beans tuna tomatoes, fresh orange juice, bleach, cheese, toilet roll, frozen breaded poultry
    they did substitute milk, bread and other fresh stuff

this was last monday after the panic hordes descended over weekend, maybe supply has improved- let us know

In the smaller stores there’s a lot of Tesco branded products anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

whatever99 wrote: »
    Are the groceries in bags inside the crates?

Does anyone know the SuperValu process for deliveries?

Also wondering about the SuperValu process - from a big former Superquinn operated directly by Musgraves as opposed to a franchise? I've never ordered groceries online before. I don't want them to come into the house. Will they wait outside for the crates or use cardboard boxes/bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Flying Fox wrote: »
    My local Tesco and Lidl still have the microwavable pouches and some boil in the bag rice, just not the standard bags.

yeah my Aldi has been completely out of all types of rice this last week. Pain in the ass for me as Ive a lot of Indian curries and Chinese dishes in the freezer and you kind of need the rice to go with it. Still have enough for a few portions but if it doesnt show up in Aldi soon I'll be going on a hunt for it elsewhere.

I think overall though the supply chain has done well, there might be shortages here and there but no one is going to go hungry. We certainly dont need to be planting seeds to grow salads as Eamon Ryan suggested in the Dail today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Did the rounds looking for (proper not instant) coffee and museli ( not sugar crusted cereals) yesterday - had to hit a lot of shops before I got proper coffee which paniced me somewhat. Lidl were restricting everything to three items but had none for me to buy anyway. Finally got some in an obscure Aldi but had to que like animals in the ark across the parking lot to be let in - one at a time. Did a proper shop then as I don’t want to be caught next week in a two or three hour wait in the rain behind a scarf to have food in the press.Lots of dIly basics have been missing since it started - the obvious like tissues and toilet paper etc , but banannas havn’t been available anywhere at all, apples,potatoes, rice and proper coffee are distant memories and flour, non fancy bread, bagels, pasta sauce, wet wipes, mince meat, chicken fillets - or chickens, eggs - the list of daily staples missing is a bit eye watering. It says a lot about Irish eating habits that the one item available in every shop is usually prawns and white fish!! Bought a jumbo tin of Cadburys drinking chocolate, some shortbread and emergency bottle of Baileys - just in case. If the bottom falls out of everything I will be buzzed up on alcoholic mochas and have enough toilet paper to create my own clothes!

Telling people not to stock up and that supplies are plentiful .. but online orders placed a week in advance have 1/4 items not available ?! So you end up having to run down to the shop anyway.

Absolute madness, this is just going to drive more panic buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

Also wondering about the SuperValu process - from a big former Superquinn operated directly by Musgraves as opposed to a franchise? I've never ordered groceries online before. I don't want them to come into the house. Will they wait outside for the crates or use cardboard boxes/bags?

I just got a SuperValu delivery. They were inside big plastic bags, huge ones, inside the crates. The delivery guy just left the crates on the front step and I took the bags out. Of course, I’m now paranoid that the items themselves could be contaminated, but I’m not about to start wiping a bag of porridge or a banana...am I??!! I think everything I ordered is there. Got meat, eggs, bread, flour, chicken, and other things I’ve heard people saying were gone in other shops. I placed the order last Sunday, today was the first slot I could get. Tried to place a tesco order the same day and the earliest slot they had was next Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

Did the rounds looking for (proper not instant) coffee and museli ( not sugar crusted cereals) yesterday - had to hit a lot of shops before I got proper coffee which paniced me somewhat. Lidl were restricting everything to three items but had none for me to buy anyway. Finally got some in an obscure Aldi but had to que like animals in the ark across the parking lot to be let in - one at a time. Did a proper shop then as I don’t want to be caught next week in a two or three hour wait in the rain behind a scarf to have food in the press.Lots of dIly basics have been missing since it started - the obvious like tissues and toilet paper etc , but banannas havn’t been available anywhere at all, apples,potatoes, rice and proper coffee are distant memories and flour, non fancy bread, bagels, pasta sauce, wet wipes, mince meat, chicken fillets - or chickens, eggs - the list of daily staples missing is a bit eye watering. It says a lot about Irish eating habits that the one item available in every shop is usually prawns and white fish!! Bought a jumbo tin of Cadburys drinking chocolate, some shortbread and emergency bottle of Baileys - just in case. If the bottom falls out of everything I will be buzzed up on alcoholic mochas and have enough toilet paper to create my own clothes!

I cant believe the list of missing shopping items you have listed! I haven't a clue where your based but Super Valu + Dunnes in Pavillions have every single missing item you listed. Maybe its just the German supermarkets that are that badly stocked at the moment.

Haven’t been since Tuesday which was fine- what’s experience like today guys? Reason I ask is the Uk newspapers like the Daily Fáil are reporting all sorts of stuff happening from bare shelves to fights in both UK and some French stores- I hope these reports don’t lead to a second wave of panic buying here - we seemed to have settled down somewhat this week

I'm just back from Super Valu + not a bother they had everything stocked up.

appledrop wrote: »
    I'm just back from Super Valu + not a bother they had everything stocked up.

And I'm just back from Lidl - all stocked up too, including fresh produce and chicken/meat and the store was deathly quiet. In and out in 10 mins.

It was a bit freaky in Super Valu alright. Security guards checking how many people going in then at checkout all the staff behind these huge perspex screens.

Just felt surreal + very quiet. Huge amount of fresh products available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I just tried to order from SuperValu and there's no delivery slots available in March or April. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Local Tesco seemed fine today, a few gaps in the frozen section but otherwise fine. don't feel the need to buy more than I need now

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

I understand that some people cant leave the house but if you can your much better off physically going to shops. No problems with stock in ones I've been in recently.

Trust me very few people in them so you will be grand if your afraid of being near people.

Advertisement