Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Did you manage to get it to give you local information, ie. weather etc. or just get it to give you the correct time?

I have the time sorted but it still gives me the US weather etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I don't believe there's a work-around for the weather, other than asking "Alexa, what's the weather in Dundalk Ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Another IFTTT channel from Lightwave
    New IFTTT Channel: Events

Today we are launching a new LightwaveRF Channel: Events.

Events are a list of actions that you want multiple LightwaveRF devices to take, once the IFTTT command is triggered. This then allows you to trigger LightwaveRF 'events', using recipes from the IFTTT website. The heating channel, along with other LightwaveRF functions, is due to follow next.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Dr. Dre wrote: »
    I don't believe there's a work-around for the weather, other than asking "Alexa, what's the weather in Dundalk Ireland"

Sussed that, at least the time/alarms work now...

Found the shopping list to be one of the best features, works a treat!

unklerosco wrote: »
    Sussed that, at least the time/alarms work now...

Found the shopping list to be one of the best features, works a treat!
    Yeah the shopping list is deadly, if you link it to an IFTTT recipe she'll email it to you whenever you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Alternative to Alexa, Triby
    First 3rd party hardware to integrate Alexa and is available on Amazon.co.uk for around £160 I think.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3062983/connected-home/triby-review-alexa-transforms-a-silly-gadget-into-a-family-oriented-digital-assistant.html

Might have a closer look at this if Amazon are not making their Alexa available over here

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

Got an Echo last week while in US. I used it there (couldn't wait!) and the voice recognition is excellent, especially considering my thick accent and general mumbling. I'd say the people in the hotel room next door were wondering what was going on.

What converter/adapter do ye use? The only thing I can hook up involves 3 connections and looks like a fire hazard so I'm holding off until I can find a safe one.

Lightwave have today launched their heating IFTTT channel
    New IFTTT Channel
    Thank you to everyone who has engaged with our IFTTT channels over the past few weeks. Today we are launching a new LightwaveRF Channel: Heating. This allows you to control your LightwaveRF heating devices using recipes from the IFTTT website.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Arbie wrote: »
    Got an Echo last week while in US. I used it there (couldn't wait!) and the voice recognition is excellent, especially considering my thick accent and general mumbling. I'd say the people in the hotel room next door were wondering what was going on.

What converter/adapter do ye use? The only thing I can hook up involves 3 connections and looks like a fire hazard so I'm holding off until I can find a safe one.

Just realised the plug is 120-240v and 50/60Hz so only need an adapter.

Yeah, I'm only using an adapter. Safer than buying a UK plug off ebay or the likes.
    I have two more echo's on the way to me too :-D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Dr. Dre wrote:
    You will also need a smartthings hub, which acts as the intermediary between the echo and the lwrf hub. I've also setup a Ubuntu VM, running nodejs, to act as a sort of interpreter (for want of a better explanation) between smartthings and lwrf hub - I have a machine on 24/7 that runs various VM's for me (CCTV, media server etc etc) so it wasn't any big deal for me to spin up a dedicated VM, but like I said, a bit of work!

Sorry I missed this thread we've similar on the electrical forum.

I see lightwaverf cab connect to the nest now

Stoner wrote: »
    Sorry I missed this thread we've similar on the electrical forum.

I see lightwaverf cab connect to the nest now

Yes they can connect to nest now. They seem to be moving in the right direction now & at some pace too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stuartlawler

Hi, any Echo users in Ireland know a way to localise settings, I,E, time and location switching to Ireland and not the US? I'm only after setting mine up today.

Hi, any Echo users in Ireland know a way to localise settings, I,E, time and location switching to Ireland and not the US? I'm only after setting mine up today.

Read back through the thread.. some links and info on how to localize some of the settings.

The old workarounds don't seem to work any more. If you do find one please share.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mayo jonny

Hey,

I looking at getting an Echo shipped over from America but have heard its hassle to set up (that you need to have an US Amazon Prime acc and a VPN in the states?) Has anyone had hassle lately setting it up and or how is it done? would you recommend getting one?

Thanks

Mayo jonny wrote: »
    Hey,

I looking at getting an Echo shipped over from America but have heard its hassle to set up (that you need to have an US Amazon Prime acc and a VPN in the states?) Has anyone had hassle lately setting it up and or how is it done? would you recommend getting one?

Thanks

I just used my normal amazon account to login to the US Amazon n setup a prim account. Didn't need a VPN etc.

I downloaded an apk of the app for my phone and that was it. Works fine.

unklerosco wrote: »
    I just used my normal amazon account to login to the US Amazon n setup a prim account. Didn't need a VPN etc.

I downloaded an apk of the app for my phone and that was it. Works fine.

So it was easy so to set up in a few minutes? Would you recommend the product?

The Echo is a great device, even if it is not quite optimised for the Irish market just yet. The workarounds to set the time to Irish/UK region seem to have been closed off by Amazon, or at least I can't get them to work!

I have mine in the kitchen.. Excellent for shopping lists with the app, kitchen timer, weight/temp conversions, games of jeopardy, random questions, having your wife convinced there's someone called alexa living in your house..

• Advertisement

I'm using mine a lot for the radio, alarms and am exploring the games. I love the quick weather summary and the voice recognition is the best I've ever seen!

So no one has had to set up a VPN then, just the prime account? Thats brilliant, ordering today if that's the case

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LiamG

Agreed- very good and only getting better as they add new features. Kids love it.
    Integrated with Wemo smartplugs and turns on/off lamps etc on command.

LiamG wrote: »
    Agreed- very good and only getting better as they add new features. Kids love it.
    Integrated with Wemo smartplugs and turns on/off lamps etc on command.

So you just have the prime account in the US, no VPN needed?

dont even have a prime account; got my friend in the us to buy and ship over
    you need an apk to launch the app but it syncs once that is downloaded

So you just plugged in and go?

pretty much
    small bit of work linking my account but 10 minutes for me at most

little more work linking to wemo plugs - but you would expect that - I used IFTTT

Just on the off chance you don't know, Alexa has direct integration with Wemo plugs, IFTTT isn't needed.

yea - found that out after setting it up via IFTTT.
    What else do you use it for Dr?

• Advertisement

Mainly Radio, Podcasts when going to sleep, and home automation ( I have like 12 lightwaverf devices through smartthings, 2 lifx colour bulbs that I can control colour and brightness through, and a few IR devices controlled via a logitech harmony hub (TV, fan etc))
    I use the shopping list also I suppose
    and as a timer when cooking
    oh, and spotify

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement