Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

Dr. Dre wrote: »
    Mainly Radio, Podcasts when going to sleep, and home automation ( I have like 12 lightwaverf devices through smartthings, 2 lifx colour bulbs that I can control colour and brightness through, and a few IR devices controlled via a logitech harmony hub (TV, fan etc))
    I use the shopping list also I suppose
    and as a timer when cooking
    oh, and spotify

Have you managed to get local weather working yet? ie. "Alexa what is the weather like today?" would tell you the weather for say, Dublin, without you actually saying in Dublin Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LiamG

Personally I looked into that and it seems like a lot of hassle - I am happy to say "in dublin ireland" at the end but thats just me.

Also, I suspect when the echo goes worldwide they will also regionalisation - if I were a betting man that will happen sooner than later as Googles version is due out before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I'd be the same as Liam, it hasn't bothered me enough to investigate tbh Nick.

I've seen it RUMOURED to for an October UK (and I guess Ireland) release.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

Cheers guys -, have either of you managed to get Alexa to play Newstalk radio via tune in? I have tried but it either cannot find the station even though it is on tune in, or plays another station entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

nickhx wrote: »
    Cheers guys -, have either of you managed to get Alexa to play Newstalk radio via tune in? I have tried but it either cannot find the station even though it is on tune in, or plays another station entirely.

I have the same problem - recognises other stations fine but no matter if I say "Newstalk Ireland", "Newstalk 106FM", etc. it still plays random American stations. I even have Newstalk as a favourite in TuneIn but no luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

re newstalk - you can play it from the Alexa app but I have yet to get it verbally (which I suppose is the point)!

Yeah the Newstalk thing is a pain, it worked ONCE (verbally) for me when I first got it last year, but not since, oddly enough.

I have a theory that it's because the name is comprised of two 'genres' of radio and that confuses Alexa, perhaps if they give us a deeper integration with Tunein in the future, we may be able to give nicknames to stations etc..

Engadget speculating a UK launch is close at hand > https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/02/amazon-alexa-uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Doesn't deliver to Ireland does parcel motel work for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Won't ship to parcel motel it appears.

Wow, that's a bit extreme of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

£50 off for prime.

i.ve tried it for a local delivery service from derry (similar to parcel motel etc) and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dbro

Just ordered through parcel motel...no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I had tried it twice earlier and it wouldn't ship to parcel motel.

Just tried it again after reading the bargain alerts thread and it is now allowing me to ship to parcel motel. :)
    Won't ship to parcel motel it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Radioheader

Hi,
    If I get this shipped to parcel hotel, will it work fully in Ireland, using my Amazon.co.uk account? Can I pair an iPhone with it? Everything I have is on my iPhone at the moment. Will it work with my Nest? I don't use Spotify so is it a waste of time for me?

I really like the sound of this gadget and want to give it a go.

Sorry for the simple questions!

Hi

I am presuming it will work with the .co.uk account. Can't see why not. It definitely works with Nest thermostats I believe. I also works with TuneIn and amazon prime music.

You can pair by phones by bluetooth per the amazon site but kind of defeats the purpose then if you are into music.

how would you get amazon prime music to work on it ?

just get the alexa app (or via the website) , link your prime account to your echo on the app
    easy to do

• Advertisement

LiamG wrote: »
    just get the alexa app (or via the website) , link your prime account to your echo on the app
    easy to do

In ireland?

should be an option i would have though (not out yet obviously) but worse case you sideload apk file - i did this for the US version and its perfect

i can only find us/canada version of apk

it only launched yesterday - give it a few days!!

prime music launched about a year ago.
    I can't decide if the echo is worth getting or not.
    I've a few things i can control with my phone and it'd be cool to have voice control. But how often do you need to change the thermostat etc ?
    If its only for spotify then theres probably better speakers

But if I could get prime music working that would swing it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Radioheader

I think I will get it anyhow, even if its applications aren't apparent right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭loughrey2887

donegal. wrote: »

The US Echo app apk is the exact same as the UK one, just like the Fire TV remote app. It'll give you the relevant apps depending on the address you set up as your digital content address on the Amazon site.

The US Echo app apk is the exact same as the UK one, just like the Fire TV remote app. It'll give you the relevant apps depending on the address you set up as your digital content address on the Amazon site. The problem is the UK Echo app won't appear on the Irish Google Play store or the Apple store. You'll need to sideload it on if you have an Android phone, just like the Prime Video and Fire TV apps which don't appear on the Irish app stores.

• Advertisement

The US Echo app apk is the exact same as the UK one, just like the Fire TV remote app. It'll give you the relevant apps depending on the address you set up as your digital content address on the Amazon site. The problem is the UK Echo app won't appear on the Irish Google Play store or the Apple store. You'll need to sideload it on if you have an Android phone, just like the Prime Video and Fire TV apps which don't appear on the Irish app stores. You simply can't get it if you have an iphone (lack of app sideloading is one of the reasons a ditched the iPhone) unless you are jailbroken or are paying a visit to the UK. VPN doesn't seem to make these apps appear in the app stores either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement